PDA

View Full Version : Weldon Brooks & Giorgio Bostice (Kennedale)

CatsDen
11-28-2003, 07:31 AM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/high_school/7367634.htm

http://www.dfw.com/images/dfw/startelegram/news/836156-293443.jpg

CatsDen
11-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Kennedale not lacking in options
By Trae Thompson
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/R. JEENA JACOB
Senior tight end Giorgio Bostice, left, and junior running back Weldon Brooks have produced when the ball is put in their hands.

When they're on the field, Kennedale running back Weldon Brooks and tight end Giorgio Bostice share the same low-key, workmanlike approach.

"I see us all as being blue collar," Kennedale coach Richard Barrett said. "Just hard working. Everybody's got a role. You know what your role is. Execute, do it. If the situation presents itself where you're in the limelight, come on with your A game."

On Saturday, both players could get that chance when Kennedale (11-1) faces Merkel (9-2) in a Class 3A Division II Region I semifinal game at Memorial Stadium in Wichita Falls. Hard work early in the season has paid off for Brooks and Bostice, who have become perfect components for a talented Wildcats offense.

Brooks, a 6-foot, 200-pound junior, rushed for 820 yards and scored 12 touchdowns during the regular season, giving Kennedale another backfield threat along with 1,000-yard rusher Rex Harper. Bostice (6-1, 215) normally clears the way with his blocking, but improved pass-catching skills allowed him to finish with 20 catches for 362 yards. His total receptions helped him surpass predecessor Landon Johnson, who is now at Stanford.

Bostice said blocking is always his first priority. He worked on it during practice along with catching, and saw the results when he watched film.

"Not everybody notices it," said the senior, "but you as a player know you're doing good even though you don't have the ball."

Brooks, a junior, was surprised he became a starter. He was "stumbling" early in the season, but worked on his agility and was a key factor in Kennedale's 30-16 win over Everman. Brooks rushed for 55 yards on 18 carries and scored a touchdown.

"We were expecting big things before then," Barrett said of Brooks. "That game solidified and confirmed what we thought all along."

Harper, who had 190 yards in the game, is more of a speed back who can run to the outside. Brooks can rip up the middle but has learned plenty from playing alongside Harper, who finished the regular season with 1,432 yards rushing and 26 touchdowns.

"He's Superman," Brooks said. "He's been up here [on varsity] for three years, so he tells me some things."

Besides their physical talent, Barrett said Bostice and Brooks have the same unselfish attitude that's prevalent throughout the team.

"If no one cares who gets the credit, you'll be amazed at what you can do," he said. "I think they all have their priorities straight. They'd rather win than anything else."

Kennedale vs. Merkel

Class 3A Division II Region I semifinals

(Kennedale 11-1, Merkel 9-2)

6 p.m. Saturday, Memorial Stadium, Wichita Falls

The winner advances to the Region I final and will play Sweetwater or Vernon

bleedgreen
11-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Thanks for sharing the article. The Star Telegram doesn't deliver the Arlington edition out where I live, even after threatening to stop delivery. They won't go that extra mile to delver.
The two young men in this article don't get enough credit for all they do....and neither do the other starters and players on the Wildcats. The team philosophy of "each of the 11 players has a responsibility" will take the Wildcats far into the playoffs and far into their individual lives. Time and time again, I have seen successful teams display this unselfish attitude. Rex Harper is a gifted player and he is humble enough to realize that there are 21 other players on the field contributing 100% at all times. There is no showmanship....Coach Barrett won't put up with it. I believe the Wildcats are focused and ready to make that push to the next level.
Merkel didn't make it to the 3rd round by chance. They come from a tough district and the Wildcats will not look past them. There is only today and 48 minutes of football. I say hard work and team work will pay off. Go get 'em Wildcats.

CatsDen
11-28-2003, 01:56 PM
I agree. The majority of the players are satisfied with their role and know how valuable their contributions to the team have been. Rex, Bryan, Weldon, Giorgio, and Chris have all had impact games on the offensive side of the ball. Rex is normally the first name mentioned in all game recaps, but Bryan, Weldon, Giorgio, and Chris have all been featured in a Star-Telegram article at one time during the season. We have often criticized the local media for the lack of coverage, but looking back over the season I would say that the Star-Telegram has done a fair job. The South Tarrant Star has always done a fantastic job of coverage. The Dallas Morning News has been absolutely horrible!

Hopefully, Kennedale will be well represented when the All-District, All-Area awards start to roll out. More importantly, I hope that the Wildcats can keep their focus on the game at hand. There could be no better reward than a State Championship ring! That is the ultimate goal and they have all contributed to the pursuit.

Knightmoon
11-28-2003, 09:55 PM
And then enters the wrecking crew from Merkel.

GlenRosePoster
11-28-2003, 10:37 PM
and then Merkel becomes the WreckED Crew