PDA

View Full Version : Matt Schumacher

crabman
09-21-2006, 06:31 PM
In case ya'll were wondering what happened to Matt.

SEIZING THE OPPORTUNITY
Former Gobbler takes over TLU's starting QB position
September 21, 2006 - Posted at 1:11 a.m.
BY COY SLAVIK - ADVOCATE SPORTS EDITOR
Matt Schumacher's time came sooner than even he expected.
With 2 minutes, 41 seconds left in the second quarter of Saturday's American Southwest Conference game against Mississippi College, Schumacher, Texas Lutheran's third-string sophomore quarterback, was inserted into the game to see if he could inject some life into the Bulldogs' ineffective offense.

The former Cuero Gobbler took advantage of the opportunity by completing 17 of 29 passes for 310 yards and one touchdown and rushing for two more scores. Schumacher almost led TLU to a potential game-tying touchdown, but his final pass of the game was intercepted at the Mississippi College 1-yard line with 50 seconds left in the game as the Bulldogs lost 28-21.

Still, Schumacher's performance vaulted him from third-stringer to starter for this Saturday's key ASC game against Mary Hardin-Baylor.

"I was pleased but also disappointed at the same time," Schumacher said of his performance, which also included throwing four interceptions. "I made some mistakes that I shouldn't have made."

"He did a good job of managing the game," TLU offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jim Good said. "He turned the ball over a little but, but that was not only his fault. It was partly my fault, too. But he moved the ball and did a good job of leadership."

The Bulldogs (2-1, 0-1 in the ASC) struggled to move the ball Saturday, first with starting quarterback Adam Vyvial and then with backup Joel Waldon.

TLU head coach Tom Mueller had seen enough and summoned Schumacher into the game.

Good said he wasn't surprised by Mueller's move.

"Not at all," Good said. "Last year on the JV, he was by far the best at managing games. People rallied around him. Normally, you put your No. 3 quarterback in the game and you think, 'Oh geez.' But it wasn't that way with Matt at all.
"Coming into this season, we had two upperclassmen who were ahead of him.

One guy was a senior and one guy was a junior. They both came from great programs and had a lot to offer. They both had opportunities but didn't get it done for whatever reasons and we felt 100-percent confident in putting Matt in."

"Coach Good reassured me to be patient because my time would come and it did," Schumacher said. "I told him I would be ready whenever it did."

With 3:05 left in the third quarter, Schumacher threw a 91-yard touchdown pass to Jason Trahan as the Bulldogs pulled within 14-7.

After Mississippi College scored touchdowns on two straight possessions to widen its lead to 28-7, Schumacher led a furious fourth-quarter TLU rally. With 3:09 left in the game, Schumacher scored on a 1-yard run to make it 28-14.

Mississippi College recovered an onside kick, but TLU's defense stiffened and forced a three-and-out. Schumacher then led the Bulldogs on a four-play, 67-yard touchdown drive, running the final 23 yards for the score to pull TLU within 28-21 with 1:55 to go.

The Bulldogs recover an onside kick and Schumacher drove the team to a first-and-goal at the Mississippi College 6. But with 50 seconds left, Mississippi College linebacker Chris Dudley stepped in front of TLU wide receiver Darrell White at the 1 to pick off Schumacher's pass.

"The mistakes that he made are definitely correctible and that's probably the biggest reason we're so excited about Matt," Good said. "He's a coachable kid who will listen and not only listen but apply what you tell him on the football field."

Schumacher admits he feels some butterflies in his stomach as the Bulldogs prepare for ASC favorite and 17th-ranked Mary Hardin-Baylor (1-1).

"I'm real excited. I hadn't played in about two years," Schumacher said. "Throughout the whole year, there has been a buzz going on around here. We think we can do something special. It's just a matter of time, so this is a big week for us. I like situations like this."

GreenMachine
09-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Very good article. I hope Matt and TLU get a "W" this week!

gobbler grad
09-21-2006, 07:33 PM
great article...good luck schu1213...:clap:

44INAROW
09-21-2006, 09:27 PM
That was a great article.. I hadn't had a chance to read the paper today and during supper my mom called and told me how nice the article about Matt was in the Victoria Advocate. I sat down and read it and really thought it was nice. Future looks bright for him. Keep up the good work Matt!

Adidas4I0s
09-21-2006, 09:50 PM
good to see a downlow Rommie doing alright!

Old Dog
09-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Great to see another 3A footballer doing well at the next level !!!!

KingRob
09-22-2006, 03:42 AM
From third string to starter. Good job Matt! Hope y'all get a win this week!

gobbler grad
10-08-2006, 10:38 AM
congrats on a ex-Cuero boy...keep up the good work...this is like his 3rd 300yd. game in 4 weeks...
total for 4 games...78-150-11 for 1048yds. & 8 td's
pretty dang good, I think...

BROWNWOOD, Texas – The Texas Lutheran Bulldogs made a final-second, goal-line stand and made Jesse Gremminger’s 68-yard punt return for a touchdown stand up as the game-winner in TLU’s 28-23 win over Howard Payne on Saturday afternoon in Gordon Wood Stadium.

The Yellow Jackets had a 1st-and-10 from the TLU 11-yard line with less than a minute to play, but the Bulldog defense forced a 4th-down incompletion. TLU cornerback Derrick Heath had good coverage on HPU’s Brandon Tolbert on the final play.

The Bulldogs improved to 4-2 overall and to 2-2 in the American Southwest Conference.

With the loss on its Homecoming weekend, Howard Payne dropped to 3-2 overall and to 1-2 in the ASC.

TLU trailed 23-14 in the fourth quarter. The Bulldogs cut the lead to 23-21 on a Jason Trahan 55-yard TD reception from Matt Schumacher. Trahan caught two TD passes on the day and added to his school-record total for career TD catches. He now has 27 career TD grabs.

TLU took the lead on Gremminger’s first career punt return TD. He fielded the ball at the TLU 32, broke a tackle, split two other tacklers and used his blockers down the left sideline for the 67-yard TD return. The Gremminger score gave TLU a 28-23 lead with 5:42 to play.

Dwight Bonner intercepted HPU’s Adam Johnson on the next series, and the Bulldogs used their next possession to run the clock down to 2:15 remaining in the game. A 18-yard punt by Trey Brezina put HPU in excellent field position at the TLU 45 with 2:07 to play.

HPU drove down to the TLU 6 with the help of a roughing the passer penalty and a personal foul penalty. HPU had five plays from the TLU 11 and could get no closer than the TLU 6. Johnson had two incomplete passes and three rushing attempts on the final five plays.

TLU receiver Trahan eclipsed the school record for career receiving yardage. Trahan came into Saturday’s game needing just two yards to break the career mark held by Roy Maas. Trahan broke the record on the Bulldogs’ first play from scrimmage. Trahan finished the day with five catches for 114 yards. He now has 2,750 yards receiving in his career. Maas ended his four-year career with 2,637.

Trahan put TLU ahead 14-7 in the third quarter with a 28-yard scoring strike from Schumacher, the sophomore signal-caller.

Schumacher had three touchdowns and three interceptions against the Yellow Jackets. He was 25-for-49 with three interceptions and 302 yards. Schumacher’s third intercepted pass set up the HPU touchdown that gave the home team the 23-14 advantage. Ricky Austin intercepted Schumacher on the HPU 5-yard line and returned the ball 90 yards to the TLU 5-yard line. HPU scored three plays later on a Chris Jackson 9-yard touchdown off a pass from Adam Johnson.

The Bulldogs scored the game’s first touchdown on a 19-yard pass from Matt Schumacher to junior wideout Kerry Jones at the end of the first quarter. For Jones, the TD catch was the first scoring play of his collegiate career. The Schumacher to Jones connection was made possible by an Andy Puryear fumble recovery in HPU territory.

Bill Miller rushed 12 times for 91 yards for TLU. Brandon McCoy, Dwight Bonner and Derrick Heath all had interceptions. Puryear led the Bulldogs with 12 tackles.

TLU returns to Seguin’s Matador Stadium for next Saturday’s conference game with Sul Ross State. Game time is set for noon.:clap: