PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time a 3A Downlow favorite team won state in DII?

Pudlugger
09-21-2006, 04:36 PM
2000 Forney was favored: outcome La Grange State Champs

2001 Marlin and Giddings were favored: outcome Commerce State Champs

2002 Bellville favored: outcome Bandera State Champs

2003 Marlin favored: outcome Atlanta State Champs

2004 Cuero favored: outcome Abilene Wylie State Champs

2005 Cuero favored: outcome Tatum State Champs

Kinda puts all this talk in perspective doesn't it?:D

Adidas410s
09-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Cuero went D1 in 2004.

Pudlugger
09-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Cuero went D1 in 2004.

Opps! You're right. I meant 2004 Jasper favorite: outcome Gilmer

In general DI favorites on the 'Low seem to do better.

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Also have to understand that alot of times the "favorite" on 3DL are teams known by the board...The Gilmer team that beat Jasper was not as well known on the board like the Jasper team, because back then they did not have alot of East Texas posters on here.

PPHSfan
09-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Opps! You're right. I meant 2004 Jasper favorite: outcome Gilmer

In general DI favorites on the 'Low seem to do better.

LOL

Jasper was NOT favored over Gilmer in 2004.

So I guess that answers your question.

Pudlugger
09-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
LOL

Jasper was NOT favored over Gilmer in 2004.

So I guess that answers your question.

It's not which team was favored before the game but which team was talked up all season long on this board as being the favorite. Very few posters on this board thought Gilmer would win state in 2004. It was all Jasper all the time as I recall. Perhaps that is because as was stated by Txbroadcaster, few East Texas posters were around the board until late in the playoffs. So you actually make my point because the favored team in week 15 was Gilmer even though Jasper got all the attention up to then. If such trends continue here we might be shocked when we learn some darkhourse wins in December like so many times before.;)

PPHSfan
09-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
It's not which team was favored before the game but which team was talked up all season long on this board as being the favorite. Very few posters on this board thought Gilmer would win state in 2004. It was all Jasper all the time as I recall. Perhaps that is because as was stated by Txbroadcaster, few East Texas posters were around the board until late in the playoffs. So you actually make my point because the favored team in week 15 was Gilmer even though Jasper got all the attention up to then. If such trends continue here we might be shocked when we learn some darkhourse wins in December like so many times before.;)

Those who listened to me knew Gilmer was going to win 16 games before they won the title.:D

Pudlugger
09-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Yes, it is good to be proven right when you go against common wisdom. It is one of life's joys, and rare it is. I wonder who we should be listening to this season. Right now the money is on either Gilmer or Cuero but it is early in the season. Playoffs going 5 or 6 games deep can be very taxing to a team with injuries, illness (flu season!) and no pass no play. Depth and luck play a big role in who ends up on top, so teams that look invincible in September may not be so in December. :cool: