PDA

View Full Version : OT: Inmates escapte from South Texas jail

KTJ
09-20-2006, 02:28 PM
6 inmates sought after South Texas escape

02:16 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Associated Press

LA VILLA, Texas - A former police officer held on drug charges and five illegal immigrants escaped from a privately run federal jail near the Mexican border by overpowering a guard then cutting through at least four fences, officials said Wednesday.

More than 60 local and federal law-enforcement officers using helicopters and bloodhounds were searching near the East Hidalgo Detention Center, located about 20 miles north of the border.

"We're considering all six individuals very dangerous and armed," Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino said.

"I think they're scared. A lot of people are scared. They canceled school and everything," said Raul Castillo, a 26-year-old clerk at a Quick Mart who couldn't remember an escape of this magnitude in this town of about 1,300 located 220 miles south of San Antonio.

The sheriff said the men, wearing green inmate jumpsuits, escaped at about 11:30 p.m. CDT Tuesday and that local officers, the Border Patrol and the U.S. Marshal's Service were focusing on an approximately 4-square-mile search area.

Trevino said he didn't know whether the prison guard who was overpowered suffered any injuries.

Trevino said former McAllen police officer Francisco Meza-Rojas, 41, was being held on federal drug charges related to what prosecutors called the "Meza Drug Trafficking Organization."

The five other escapees Tuesday were illegal Mexican immigrants jailed on a variety of charges, Trevino told Harlingen television station KGBT.

Meza-Rojas and four of his brothers were indicted in April on charges that they were smuggling, transporting and storing cocaine and marijuana. U.S. Attorney Don DeGabrielle said in a statement then that Meza-Rojas was the leader of the drug operation.

The nine-count indictment accused the men of smuggling drugs into the United States and transporting them to safe locations for delivery to other drug trafficking organizations. Officials said the drugs typically were brought into the United States through a rural area south of Mission, the residence of Meza-Rojas' four brothers.

Charges against the Meza-Rojas brothers included conspiracy to import into the U.S. and to possess with intent to distribute. The conspiracy offenses carries a penalty of up to life in prison and a $4 million fine.

The Tuesday night escape comes nearly six years after another high-profile prison break in South Texas, when seven state inmates fled from the Connally Unit, near Kenedy.

The escapees committed a string of robberies, including a Christmas Eve holdup at an Irving sporting goods store where policeman Aubrey Hawkins, 29, was fatally shot.

The seven escapees were found a month later in Colorado. One committed suicide before he was captured. The other six were convicted and sentenced to death.

DU_stud04
09-20-2006, 02:30 PM
i remembered that... i thought this was a good while back though, the artical says 2006?

Bull Butter
09-20-2006, 03:07 PM
This jail break happened just last night. School in La Villa (home of the 1A Cardinals) was canceled today.

DU_stud04
09-20-2006, 03:11 PM
thats what i get for not reading everything fully:doh:

big daddy russ
09-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i remembered that... i thought this was a good while back though, the artical says 2006?
You're probably thinking of the one that happened in Kenedy, about two or three hours north of LaVilla.

Bandera YaYa
09-20-2006, 07:31 PM
They are safe and sound in Mexico I bet. :mad:

CalallenWildcat
09-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You're probably thinking of the one that happened in Kenedy, about two or three hours north of LaVilla.

Kenedy is about 4 hours north of La Villa. La Villa is in the Valley, and Kenedy is between Beeville and San Antonio on Highway 181.

big daddy russ
09-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Kenedy is about 4 hours north of La Villa. La Villa is in the Valley, and Kenedy is between Beeville and San Antonio on Highway 181.
It's that far?

Crazy. I never realized it was that far. It was less than three hours from Ingleside to Port Isabel, and that was all the way south then east another 30 minutes. I figured just to La Villa wasn't quite that far.

CalallenWildcat
09-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It's that far?

Crazy. I never realized it was that far. It was less than three hours from Ingleside to Port Isabel, and that was all the way south then east another 30 minutes. I figured just to La Villa wasn't quite that far.

I've actually made that drive (ok not me, my mom, but I was in the car). It's about 2 and a half hours from La Villa to Corpus and another 90 minutes to Kenedy.

shankbear
09-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Shoot to kill. They have already had their due process.