PDA

View Full Version : The greatest Phil quote ever???

Adidas410s
09-19-2006, 03:13 PM
This one had tears coming out of my eyes...though it could have been a typo.

Originally posted by Phil C
1941 We had a great team even though we went 8-1-1. Two upsets kept us from getting the NC but this was a great team. We played Oregon on December 6 (dat before Pearl Harbor) who barely lost to Oregon State for the Rose Bowl 70 - 0.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
This one had tears coming out of my eyes...though it could have been a typo.

1941 We had a great team even though we went 8-1-1. Two upsets kept us from getting the NC but this was a great team. We played Oregon on December 6 (dat before Pearl Harbor) who barely lost to Oregon State for the Rose Bowl 70 - 0.

Not a bad quote even with poor grammer. :)

What happened was that Oregon had got beat by Oregon State earlier in the year 20 to 16 with the winner going to the Rose Bowl. Then the last regular season of the year UT beat Oregon State 70 to 0. :eek:

Adidas410s
09-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Not a bad quote even with poor grammer. :)

What happened was that Oregon had got beat by Oregon State earlier in the year 20 to 16 with the winner going to the Rose Bowl. Then the last regular season of the year UT beat Oregon State 70 to 0. :eek:

oh ok. I was confused and was trying to figure out "why does OSU beating Oregon have anything to do with a great Texas team other than the fact that Texas played Oregon? :thinking: "

And then when you said that they "barely lost to OSU by 70"...well I just couldnt hold back the tears.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Ad what was also ironic was that since Duke finished undefeated and ranked No. 2 they were chosen over Texas. UT was actually still preferred for the Rose Bowl and they offered to invite UT if UT would cancel the last game with Oregon but UT felt like they had to play the game. And this was after the two upsets. The Rose Bowl was afraid that if UT lost that would cause fans to lose interest in the game but as it turned out they made a mistake.
Duke won the game 20 to 16.
The ironic thing was that WW2 broke out and due to fear along the West Coast the game was moved to Duke Stadium in Durham, NC and not played in California. If UT had played in the Rose Bowl we might have got to host it in Austin, Texas! Ah what might have been. :)

Phil C
09-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Hmmmmm! I kind of wish I had made that quote without the mix up. It would have been a good one. :)

pirate44
09-19-2006, 03:29 PM
If UT had played in the Rose Bowl we might have got to host it in Austin, Texas! Ah what might have been. :)
yeah, but would the wife had let you go to that one with the fuel rationing and all??

:D j/k Phil C

Phil C
09-19-2006, 03:30 PM
I would have loved to have made that game if it had been. I would have gone by train! :D

Adidas410s
09-19-2006, 03:41 PM
I would have loved to have made that game if it had been. I would have gone by train! :D

diapers and all??? You were around 1 or 2 then right?

Oops...I was thinking you were born in 42 not 48. My bad...

3afan
09-19-2006, 03:45 PM
but Oregon St had a young, dynamic coach !!! ;)