PDA

View Full Version : USC upset with ABC's Musberger.

Maroon87
09-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Didn't know if this was posted yet or not...

USC claims Musburger revealed too much
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Southern California formally complained that ABC-TV's Brent Musburger revealed privileged information in play-by-play commentary during Saturday's game against Nebraska.

The university sent a letter to ESPN, which oversees sports programming on ABC, saying Musburger, with less than 10 minutes to play and the Trojans leading 21-10, began describing how USC quarterback John David Booty lets his receivers know he has spotted a certain kind of coverage.

"John David told us that his signal when he finds one-on-one and they're coming, it's that 'hang loose,' that familiar sign you've seen surfers use," said Musburger, referring to the sign where the thumb and little finger are raised.

Announcers and producers met with coaches and star players Friday as part of their game preparation, and Booty's signaling was discussed in what was described as private, background-only talk.

USC sports information director Tim Tessalone sent a formal complaint to ESPN/ABC game producer Bill Bonnell on Monday and sent a copy to the Pacific-10 conference office.

"We're supposed to be partners in this, but this is certainly going to make us think twice about trying to help them have as good a broadcast as possible," Tessalone said. "What he did was unconscionable.

"In my 28 years, I've never seen such an egregious breach of trust. Brent is not a rookie at this, and he should know better."

During the meeting, there was discussion about how a replay of the Ohio State-Texas broadcast on Sept. 9 showed Buckeyes quarterback Troy Smith tapping the top of his helmet to let receiver Ted Ginn Jr. know he's noticed one-on-one coverage.

Booty was asked if Southern California had a similar signal, and Booty told Musburger about his "hang loose" signal.

"We are very mindful of what we learn in pre-game meetings in terms in what is appropriate for broadcast and what is for our background. We're sorry this led to an unfortunate misunderstanding, which was never our intention," ESPN said in a statement released by spokesman Josh Krulewitz.

Musburger said in a statement late Monday that the network regretted the confusion.

Asked about Musburger's on-air revelations, USC coach Pete Carroll said with a laugh, "Just wondering what they're going to tell us next. I'm not worried about it. There's a million signals, a million ways to do it."

griff
09-19-2006, 02:57 PM
This is typical of some news & sports media who just can't resist with their "I've got a secret...I've got a secret" mentality.

Adidas410s
09-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I like how they are mad about it...yet they are the ones that allowed these questions to be asked and answered. One question for USC...why do you think that the TV announcers are asking these things? Just for the heck of it? :thinking:

Phil C
09-19-2006, 03:05 PM
NEVER TELL THE MEDIA ANYTHING YOU WOULDN'T TELL THE OPPOSITION!

USE COMMON SENSE!! :mad:

Bullaholic
09-19-2006, 03:09 PM
I said it before--I don't like Brent Musberger....he will do anything to try to "hype" his coverage by giving condescending snippets about some athlete and his family and/or school. If he was sincere and didn't try to dramatize this info I might be able to stand it. I think he is the sports broadcast equivalent of Geraldo Rivera.

AggieJohn
09-19-2006, 03:53 PM
eh, much ado about nothing

Old Tiger
09-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
NEVER TELL THE MEDIA ANYTHING YOU WOULDN'T TELL THE OPPOSITION!

USE COMMON SENSE!! :mad: Go Phil! :clap:

Bull19
09-19-2006, 05:23 PM
I HAVE A QUEST. I MUSENBERGER OR W/E HIS NAME IS , HE THE OLD GUY THAT DOES THE PLAY BY PLAY AND HAS THE GATORADE COMMERCIALS??

injuredinmelee
09-19-2006, 05:40 PM
I will turn the game broadcast audio off and tune into the Longhorns Radio Broadcast if Musbergr is calling the game. I did ti with UTvs Ohio St this year and will do it forever. If he is callign a game I want to see and there is no local broadcast i mute it. Mustyburger is a true idiot and I have fantasies where i choke him until he swears to quit the business all together.

check out this link for the funniest thing I have ever seen that involves the name musberger.

Brent Musberger Drinking Game (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=classics&Number=590437&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)

Maroon87
09-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
I HAVE A QUEST. I MUSENBERGER OR W/E HIS NAME IS , HE THE OLD GUY THAT DOES THE PLAY BY PLAY AND HAS THE GATORADE COMMERCIALS??

I believe you're thinking of Keith Jackson.:)

Old Tiger
09-19-2006, 05:50 PM
I wish it was Joe Buck and he gets fired! I hate Joe Buck.

tigerpride_08
09-19-2006, 07:18 PM
oh well..its not that hard just to make another sign...

griff
09-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I said it before--I don't like Brent Musberger....I think he is the sports broadcast equivalent of Geraldo Rivera.

Good analogy.

Originally posted by AggieJohn
eh, much ado about nothing

Too much football related material to be interesting, huh AJ? :D

Txbroadcaster
09-19-2006, 10:29 PM
They can be mad at him all they want, but it is their fault. I dont ask a question just so I can know, when I ask a coach a question off the air, it is to add something to the broadcast

wedo
09-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
oh well..its not that hard just to make another sign...

Exactly!!! Nor is it hard to figure out!!!!

KTJ
09-20-2006, 08:10 AM
I'll take Musberger over anyone at Fox Sports Southwest.

I swear they get those guys off the street at a 7-11 in Houston.

kaorder1999
09-20-2006, 12:22 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ww/news/2006/09/19/booty-full.jpg