PDA

View Full Version : Inside Texas Football's five greatest UT teams. (for UT football fans only)

Phil C
09-19-2006, 11:25 AM
They have the top five greatest UT football teams ever (in their opinion).

1. 2005 - the team that beat USC. Obviously

2. 1969 - the team that beat Arkansas in the great shootout and Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl. A good no. 2 choice.

3. 1963 - the team that beat Oklahoma who was No. 1 and then Baylor who had a great passing team but shut them out and then Navy who was No. 2 and confidence was high on Navy in the Cotton Bowl. Great choice.

4. 1970 We went 10 - 1 losing to ND in the Cotton Bowl but we got the NC in some polls that were decided on the regular season alone.

5. 1964 We went 10 - 1 losing to Arkansas 13 to 14 on a two point conversion try that failed in the last minute. The great Ernie Koy was on this team and Tom Nobis who said this team was as good as the 1963 team which is a convincing argument coming from him. Too bad we didn't have the OT play like now because UT had a sure kicker and no doubt it would have gone into overtime. I think UT would have won in overtime because even though Arkansas had a great defense they would have been tired because UT had outplayed them except for the score and Arkansas's only tds were a long pass and long punt return. This team defeated the great Alabama Joe Namath led team in the Orange Bowl 21 to 17.

These are their five teams. In other replies to this threadI will post some other teams in my opnion that deserve mention. I won't list them in order even though some may deserve to be in the top ten or twenty and some not but are listed for historical contributions to the UT program.
Bear in mind that the major polls until the late 60s to early 70s only considered the regular season and not the bowl games which were just considered mainly as an exhibition game to bring extra revenue to deserving schools that had good records.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Other teams that I feel deserve honorable mention.

1893 Our first season with student athletes. We go 4 - 0 shutting out 3 of our four opponents. This team is on the list because this started our football program off and was the beginning of a great program. It is sort of like Columbus's first yard when he set sail from Spain to America in 1492.

1914 We go 8 - 0 and probable deserved the NC. Our lowest score was 23 and we only allowed two games where the opponents scored 7 points with several shutouts. We dominated everyone we played.

1941 We had a great team even though we went 8-1-1. Two upsets kept us from getting the NC but this was a great team. We played Oregon on December 6 (dat before Pearl Harbor) who barely lost to Oregon State for the Rose Bowl 70 - 0.

1945 with our great Bobby Layne we go 10 - 1 losing only to Rice 6 - 7.

1946 Another great year with Bobby Layne where we go 10 - 1 losing only to SMU 13-14.

1961 With the great RB James Saxon we go 10 - 1 but got upset by TCU 6 - 0. Coach Royal considered this his best team in spite of the loss. It is a shame this team couldn't have faced Alabama in a bowl game. This team dominated nearly all of their games completely except for TCU and Mississippi who we beat 12 to 7 in the Cotton Bowl.

1961 We go 9-1-1 losing only to LSU in the Cotton Bowl. We were tied by Rice 14-14 which cost us an NC.

1968 We go 8-1-1 getting a bad start tieing Houston and losing to Texas Tech. James Street becomes our QB and we get better and better each game to where by the season's end I think we had the best team in the country. If we had a playoff system then I think we would have won the NC. To to bowl game tie ups we will never really know how great that team was because the best opponent we could get for the Cotton Bowl was Tennessee who we whipped bad. It would have been great to have played Ohio State. Ah what might have been.

1977 We go 10 - 1 but lose the Cotton Bowl game to Notre Dame which costs us the NC. Earl Campbell wins the Heisman Trophy though.

1981 We go 10 - 1 again and miss out on an NC because we lose to Georgia in the Cotton Bowl 9 - 10 because of a late fourth quarter punt muff.

1998 Mack Brown's first year. He convinces Ricky Williams to stay his senior year and we have a great 9 - 3 record. Williams wins the Heisman and this starts great recruiting for UT. And the rest is history.

KL3
09-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
The great Ernie Koy was on this team and Tom Nobis who said this team was as good as the 1963 team which is a convincing argument coming from him.

There is a certain poster on this board who I'm sure would like to see that comment about Ernie Koy.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by KL3
There is a certain poster on this board who I'm sure would like to see that comment about Ernie Koy.

Actually it was Ernie Koy Jr. His father was a great football and baseball star for UT also. Plus his brother Ted was a great back on our 1969 NC team.

BMOC
09-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Give McCoy and some of these younger players some more experience, and I think we may be adding 2006 to the mix as well.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Feel free to add your comments and opinions.
Our 1918 team also had a perfect record and only had one road game defeating Rice 14 - 0.

In 1934 we played Notre Dame in Indiana and even though we lost a couple of games that year with a tie this game was significant for Texas football. Texas football didn't have the nation wide respect then but when we beat Notre Dame 7 to 6 it began to change. Also that same day Rice upset a highly respected Purdue team 14 to 0. These games showed we played football in Texas and it began to get the front page coverage nation wide that it deserved.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by KL3

Ernie Koy Jr. was a great running back for us and a terrific punter and he was great at the run pass option in 1964. He looked great in 1962 and 1963 but unfortunately had injuries which made him miss a lot of the season. But in 1964 he had a healthy year and what a season. He was great. He was a threat whenever he had the ball. He was liable to make a great run or stop and throw a pass to a receiver for yardage. A great back for UT indeed. Even though we lost to Arkansas that was a fun year especially with the year he had for us.

KL3
09-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Phil C, I know all about the Koy family. I was good friends with 2 of Ernie Jr.'s kids in high school in Bellville and have seen the Sports Illustrated w/ Ernie Koy Jr. on the cover hanging in their camphouse. There is a story that Ernie Sr raced Jesse Owens before a game at the Polo Grounds in New York before a game and Koy won.

Did you know that Robert, the 2nd oldest, walked on at UT in the late 90's as a QB? Lucy was a very good volleyball player for Bellville, and Jess, the youngest, played football at Air Force. Quite an athletic family.

BTEXDAD
09-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Phil C, I know all about the Koy family.

There is a story that Ernie Sr raced Jesse Owens before a game at the Polo Grounds in New York before a game and Koy won.

They had the story in Bellville Times about yr or two ago, including picture.
Can't remember exactly how this came about. Apparently athletes didn't get endorsements after successful Olympics like they do now, so baseball team had invited Owens (for cash) as publicity stunt to race Koy and I think one other guy who were fastest ones on team.
Race was short, like 30 yards (90 feet) and Mr. Koy did in fact win.
Hopefully someone can enlighten us (me) on exact story.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Phil. good stuff though. Good stories come out with this.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 01:33 PM
We like the information everyone so feel free to share. I remember in Ernie Koy's sophomore year (1962) before his first injury we played Oregon in the first game of the year. At a critical time when Ernie was going to punt the balls was hiked back over his head and he had to run back and get it and elute tacklers and blockers but somehow he did and got off a miraculous kick. It turned out to be very critical. This was Ernie's first varsity game. Mel Renfro was a rb for Oregon and he played a good game. He later was a star cornerback for years for the Dallas Cowboys. UT won that game 25 - 13. There were no controversies on the calls of the officials.

Txbroadcaster
09-19-2006, 02:07 PM
The 1981 defense was maybe the best in Texas history..ONE play cost Texas the NC

Old Tiger
09-19-2006, 02:09 PM
What about the 2004 Longhorns who only lost one game to Oklahoma and beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl?

Phil C
09-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
What about the 2004 Longhorns who only lost one game to Oklahoma and beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl?

Good point Tiger. That team started our run to the National Championship the next year by winning several close games that year including the Rose Bowl. Thanks for sharing Tiger.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 03:37 PM
This wouldn't have been one of the greatest teams but it was also the start of some UT's great years under Coach Royal. This was his first team at Texas in 1956 that went 6 - 4 - 1. This was after several bad seasons including a 1- 9 record the year before so it was encouraging and showed the promise of great years under Coach Royal that were coming.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 03:39 PM
And don't forget the 1972 team that went 10 - 1 losing only to Oklahoma and beating Alabama ranked No. 4 in the Cotton Bowl 17 to 13. We could have had an 11 - 0 record because it turned out Oklahoma used an ineligible player and had to offer to forfeit the games he played in which included the UT game. We declined the forfeit but looking back I wish we had because we could have been 11 - 0 that year.

Stownhorse
09-19-2006, 04:14 PM
We played Oregon on December 6 (dat before Pearl Harbor) who barely lost to Oregon State for the Rose Bowl 70 - 0.

haha love the sarcasm:clap:

CenTexSports
09-19-2006, 04:25 PM
This thread is sooooooooo confusing. It looks to me like you should list every winning season from the beginning and tell what was special about that year and who were the trainers and water boys. Otherwise we are going to get it in bits and pieces.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 04:27 PM
That was confusing. What happened was that Oregon State beat Oregon 20 to 16 earlier in the year and this game determined who was to play in the Rose Bowl. Texas played Oregon in the last game of the 1941 season and beat them 70 - 0.

g$$
09-20-2006, 04:01 AM
Phil C: Was the loss to Georgia in 1981 at the Cotton Bowl? Texas did have a GREAT defense that year under Leon Fuller but I had the 1983 season (so New Year's Day '84 Cotton Bowl) in my mind. I remember the muffed punt, ended 10-9 right? #1 Nebraska lost that night to Miami, meaning #2 Texas would have probably won the NC with a win over Georgia. Also was the last really good team under Fred Akers. Started the downward spiral & led to mediocrity under McWilliams & thru Mackovic (a few good years but overall down). Lost to A&M 10/11 times from 1984-1994. Then Mack resurrected the program to its current lofty status when he took over in '98.

OK, I just looked it up & edited this: Georgia loss was the '84 Cotton Bowl. So Texas with a win would have been '83 NC more than likely since they entered the game #2. That was a game where I can say the better team lost. Stats were way in UT's favor, but the mistake on special teams killed them. 1/3 of the game right?

Phil C: why don't you educate these young pups on other great teams from our state thru the years? TCU, A&M, Rice, Baylor, UH (esp. under Bill Yeoman), even SMU (pre death penalty)...lots of great teams & players who did not wear burnt orange. Texas is the gold standard no doubt w/ 4 NCs & Earl Campbell, Layne, Street, Nobis, etc. but others deserve mention too. Pardee, Singletary, Abercrombie, Dickerson/James Pony Express, Sammy Baugh, Davey O'Brien, Donnie Anderson, Lawrence Elkins, Jess Nealy's teams, JD Crow, Doak Walker/Kyle Rote, Junction Boys, Houston's veer, Bellard's wishbone, Blitz Bros., Wilson Whitley, Wrecking Crew, Miracle on the Brazos, Run & Shoot w/ Ware & Klingler, etc. These players & events helped shape our great state's football history. Some of these guys only know the past 2 Rose Bowls it seems & that's sad to be missing out on football lore. I mean that w/ no disrespect as you are very knowledgeable & post good information. Just like a broader scope, that's all.

jykoy
09-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Ernie Koy Jr. was a great running back for us and a terrific punter and he was great at the run pass option in 1964. He looked great in 1962 and 1963 but unfortunately had injuries which made him miss a lot of the season. But in 1964 he had a healthy year and what a season. He was great. He was a threat whenever he had the ball. He was liable to make a great run or stop and throw a pass to a receiver for yardage. A great back for UT indeed. Even though we lost to Arkansas that was a fun year especially with the year he had for us.

I think Ernie was a great father. :)

Phil C
09-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Phil C: Was the loss to Georgia in 1981 at the Cotton Bowl? Texas did have a GREAT defense that year under Leon Fuller but I had the 1983 season (so New Year's Day '84 Cotton Bowl) in my mind. I remember the muffed punt, ended 10-9 right? #1 Nebraska lost that night to Miami, meaning #2 Texas would have probably won the NC with a win over Georgia. Also was the last really good team under Fred Akers. Started the downward spiral & led to mediocrity under McWilliams & thru Mackovic (a few good years but overall down). Lost to A&M 10/11 times from 1984-1994. Then Mack resurrected the program to its current lofty status when he took over in '98.

OK, I just looked it up & edited this: Georgia loss was the '84 Cotton Bowl. So Texas with a win would have been '83 NC more than likely since they entered the game #2. That was a game where I can say the better team lost. Stats were way in UT's favor, but the mistake on special teams killed them. 1/3 of the game right?

Phil C: why don't you educate these young pups on other great teams from our state thru the years? TCU, A&M, Rice, Baylor, UH (esp. under Bill Yeoman), even SMU (pre death penalty)...lots of great teams & players who did not wear burnt orange. Texas is the gold standard no doubt w/ 4 NCs & Earl Campbell, Layne, Street, Nobis, etc. but others deserve mention too. Pardee, Singletary, Abercrombie, Dickerson/James Pony Express, Sammy Baugh, Davey O'Brien, Donnie Anderson, Lawrence Elkins, Jess Nealy's teams, JD Crow, Doak Walker/Kyle Rote, Junction Boys, Houston's veer, Bellard's wishbone, Blitz Bros., Wilson Whitley, Wrecking Crew, Miracle on the Brazos, Run & Shoot w/ Ware & Klingler, etc. These players & events helped shape our great state's football history. Some of these guys only know the past 2 Rose Bowls it seems & that's sad to be missing out on football lore. I mean that w/ no disrespect as you are very knowledgeable & post good information. Just like a broader scope, that's all.

Thank you g$$ and I will try to do so in the future because there have been lots of great players that have played at other universities besides UT.