PDA

View Full Version : An example for Oregon (vs OK)

Phil C
09-19-2006, 10:18 AM
In 1940 it looked like Cornell was going to have a perfect season and win the National Championship. Cornell had a surprisingly tough game at Dartmouth and was trailing 0 - 3. Cornell got the ball near the end of the game and had a first and goal inside the ten. They ran four plays and didn't score but the refs goofed and gave them a fifth play which was the last play of the game. Cornell scored and kicked the extra point and thought they had escaped with a 7 to 3 win. However upon review of the films Cornell found out they had scored on a fifth down. The ball should have been awarded to Dartmouth who would have ran the last few seconds off. Cornell did the honorable thing and offered to forfeit the game to Dartmount. Some people think they didn't expect Dartmouth to accept it but still they put it to Dartmouth's decision. Dartmouth excepted so they had the win 3 to 0 (or maybe 1 - 0)
Either way this was regarded as a loss by Cornell as Dartmouth was to end the season at 5 - 4. It cost Cornell the National Championship since the AP considered it a loss and awarded the National Championship to Minnessota.
A good example indeed of correcting a mistake.

A similar thing happened in 1990 when Colorado won an NC by scoring on a fifth down against Missouri. Colorado considered the forfeit but did not offer it thus winning the NC. Of course it wouldn't be expected for Colorado to do the honorable thing unlike Cornell.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Just like I am sure Oregon won't do the honorable thing and offer the forfeit.

Phil C
09-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Just like I am sure Oregon won't do the honorable thing and offer the forfeit.

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!! :mad:

EVEN IF IT ISN'T DESERVED! :mad: :mad: :mad:

lepfan
09-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Are you talking to yourself again Phil???? ;)

sWaterislife
09-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Thing about this is.. Allowing a game to be stricken from the records or forfeiting in this day and time would question the basic foundation of the game...

Every coach, player, school and student would be writing letters telling where the game went wrong and should be struck from the record.. IM glad the Big 12 chief.. Understood that..

ON the Forfiet idea, I dont think that will happen.. The sport is to commercialized and that could cost them some dollars.. how sad.. no way of doing the right thing..

I cant stand OU but they got robbed..

Cant blame Oregon either..

Gobbla2001
09-19-2006, 10:31 AM
OU did get robbed... I heard the refs at that game worked for the opposing car dealership...

Gobbla2001
09-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
OU did get robbed... I heard the refs at that game worked for the opposing car dealership...

and this is meant to be funny... not really hating on OU they did get robbed... and to make everyone feel better:

They "sold" a car to Aaron Harris, which happened to be the one they were in when they were pulled over...

It'd be funny if this was all connected though, could you imagine that?

Odis
09-19-2006, 11:25 AM
>>Dartmouth excepted <<

Accepted!!!

Just a friendly reminder!!

EricDraven
09-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Not an OU fan, but at least the PAC 10 admitted their foul up. Doubt seriously in this day and age of big time, big money college football that anyone will willingly give up a win over another top 25 team.