PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Mack Brown!!!

PHS Wildcats
09-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Matt Nadar, an offensive line recruit from Austin, committed to the Horns this summer. Last week, he collapsed during his game and had to be rushed to the hospital. Nadar suffered a "lethal arrhythmia" and has been forced to give up football. Of course, Mack has said that he will still honor his scholarship despite the fact that Nadar will be unable to contribute to the football program.

In a year where the Horns could get commits from a number of talented prospects both in-state and out, the fact that Mack isn't going to turn down a kid like this just shows what kind of man he is. Say what you want about whether or not he can win the big game, but I wouldn't want anyone else running my program.

Old Tiger
09-19-2006, 12:02 AM
That is just the kind of coach that Mack is! :clap:

bulldogman06
09-19-2006, 12:07 AM
As much as I dislike UT this is a great thing, Mack Brown definitely has great character. Today officially I can say I like Mack Brown.

BrahmaMom
09-19-2006, 12:11 AM
As much as I usually don't like Mack Brown, I am proud of what he did for this young man. Don't fool yourself, this kid will work for his scholarship, but that is fair. He just won't be put in a lethal situation. Congrats to Mack for taking the high road and doing the right thing.

lepfan
09-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
I wouldn't want anyone else running my program. You don't ask for much do you? ;) (just kidding ya---Anyway....good job Mack....I still think you are a big dummy, but you do have a big heart)

g$$
09-19-2006, 12:50 AM
My prayers & thoughts go out to the kid & his family. Great job by the medical people too at the game & beyond. Mack Brown honoring his scholarship is a classy move, but the NCAA allows for these types of medical issues where they do NOT count against the 25 per year / 85 total scholarships limit. Similar to a career-ending injury where neither the kid nor team is punished by unforeseen circumstances. I am sure the kid will have a non-playing role on the team. It's one of the few times the NCAA "gets it". Best of luck Matt Nader & so glad this problem was caught now.

eagles_victory
09-19-2006, 02:01 AM
He did the same thing for Tony Hills when he thought he wasn't going to be able to play anymore due to a knee injury. Hills was a top TE prospect and now is starting at tackle for the Horns

AggieJohn
09-19-2006, 07:14 AM
i actually like mack, don't get me wrong, as a person he's a great man, i would love to work under him, now as a coach, that's a different thing

kaorder1999
09-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i actually like mack, don't get me wrong, as a person he's a great man, i would love to work under him, now as a coach, that's a different thing

if you dont think hes a good coach then why would you want to work under him?? im confused!

KTJ
09-19-2006, 08:09 AM
What has MB done to make some of you hate him so much?

kaorder1999
09-19-2006, 08:13 AM
I think the only thing people have against him is the Applewhite-Simms thing. I'm not sure what else they have against him!

greenpride
09-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Mack Brown did the thing that Fran will never be able to do----he was able to use the talent he had and deliver the championship. I get tired of listening to all the Horn haters talk about how he can't coach. If you bring the kids you want year after year, and still can't produce, it must be the coaching....

lepfan
09-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
if you dont think hes a good coach then why would you want to work under him?? im confused! I don't hate him....

Gobbla2001
09-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Funny, Leach found out a certain player I graduated with had just recovered from Hodgkins disease and they pulled him off of the team and I believe took back the scholorship... he was going to play as a receiver...

took a couple of years off and is playing at Baylor now...

cool thing about this kid though, cool deal...

Phil C
09-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Way to go Mack. That also shows why recruits should make up their minds if they have offers before their senior year. Look what happened to James Miles in Friday Night Lights. Had he been able to make a verbal committment he would have had a free college education provided he made the right choice to a school that would honor it. But that wasn't available then.

WestTXLonghorn
09-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Mack gets hated on a lot, but he's no idiot. He knows in the short term that he'll lose one of his scholarships, but in the long term he'll gain more top recruits.

Say you and your family are considering three schools for you to play ball at. . .UT, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. You like them all, think the campuses are great. . .like the coaches, etc. Now, your mom and dad start looking at other factors. They could send you to Oklahoma where boosters are going to try and convince you to take money for not working and where cheating is rampant. They could send you to Ohio State where you STILL have a good chance of booster trouble plus they'll use you up and then dump you like they did Maurice Clarrett and you'll end up in jail. Or.....they could send you to Texas where Mack Brown runs a tight ship, cares about the kids, and who will take care of you even if you get hurt.

Mack=class act. Horns=winners.

Gobbla2001
09-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
they could send you to Texas where Mack Brown runs a tight ship, cares about the kids, and who will take care of you even if you get hurt.

you just set yourself up on that one... no bueno...

BTW, in my post where I said "I believe the took back the scholorship" is just that, that's what "I think" happened... don't even know if they can do that... not trying to start anything so I kinda wanna take the post back but I guess I'll leave it up to see if anyone knows what in the hell really happened... I just no we'd talk about it at parties and stuff... you know how rumors go when you're drinkin'...

KTJ
09-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Rhett Bomar didn't like Mack Brown because MB gave him a hug during the recruiting visit.

Now look where Bomar is...

g$$
09-20-2006, 02:19 AM
Phil C - Verbal commitments have always been available, it's just that they have become much more commonplace in recent years. Mack Brown is given credit for this usually, but it has gone on for years (ACC was known for it in the '90s, & he came from North Carolina). Verbals are non-binding, what matters is the signature on the Letter of Intent in February. Here's the catch - Mack is known to offer & if you accept then he expects you NOT to take any more visits. If you do, then he may not take you (depends on who you are too). This is why you see fewer decisions come down to the end anymore, it's more cut & dried before Signing Day w/ early commitments (schools will wait on select kids). Just the accepted way of doing business now in college athletics, & not just in football.

Like I said before, you can CHOOSE to honor a kid's commitment even if he suffers a career-ending injury (before or after enrolling). The NCAA allows for this, & it does NOT count against the 25 per year / 85 total scholarships limit. A scholarship is NOT lost. The kid has to fulfill other team obligations to keep his scholarship, he just can't play. One of the few times the NCAA "gets it". Kid nor team is punished by unforeseen circumstances. I know this because I have worked in an athletic department (D1) & it is a matter of paperwork & proving the case. Not a big deal - compliance handles it. Mack is a good man & he knows not to burn bridges w/ hs coaches & families too. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program, & it is a good PR move. Remember him thanking the coaches in our state after the MNC last year? Give him credit though - he did not have to do it. As for Leach, that does not surprise me. He's a different cat altogether.