PDA

View Full Version : Vernon vs. Decatur

joshtrant
09-18-2006, 08:45 PM
any thoughts on this matchup on friday??

Cameron Crazy
09-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Decatur they just look TO good!!

sweetwater07
09-18-2006, 08:46 PM
if vernon is even half way decent they should have a field day....Decatur is overrated and not that great...special teams is the killer

lostaussie
09-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
if vernon is even half way decent they should have a field day....Decatur is overrated and not that great...special teams is the killer :thinking::thinking:

DU_stud04
09-18-2006, 08:48 PM
if vernon is even half way decent they should have a field day....Decatur is overrated and not that great...special teams is the killer

your just setting yourself and sweetwater up for a field day.......why????? do you think before you post?

sweetwater07
09-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
your just setting yourself and sweetwater up for a field day.......why????? do you think before you post?

sorry i apologize to everyone...just thought about how terrible we played thuirsday night and it got me riled up.....please accept...:doh:

Bullaholic
09-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Decatur should win this one. I don't think Vernon can stop the Decatur offense. Eagles by 14.

sweetwater07
09-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Decatur should win this one. I don't think Vernon can stop the Decatur offense. Eagles by 14.

40-26....:mad: :mad: :mad:

Bullaholic
09-18-2006, 09:03 PM
40-26....:mad: :mad: :mad:

I think you should think less about that score and worry more about Canyon this week, 07. Any thoughts about the game in this thread?

sweetwater07
09-18-2006, 09:05 PM
I think you should think less about that score and worry more about Canyon this week, 07.

believe me i'm worrying....worrying about Canyon passing all over our secondary this friday

Bullaholic
09-18-2006, 09:09 PM
believe me i'm worrying....worrying about Canyon passing all over our secondary this friday

Now that is a reasonable football statement.

DU_stud04
09-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Now that is a reasonable football statement.
agreed

VWG
09-18-2006, 09:42 PM
232lbs of pure running back.... That is what Vernon has to rely on. Aston Whiteside is a load in the backfield for the Lions.
If Vernon can keep feeding him the ball and... I've said it once and I will say it again... hit the short passes like the TE drag they can hang with Decatur. Decatur has a great QB, and the key to beating Cobb is to keep pressure on him... keep him in the pocket. Make him beat you with his arm and not with his legs.
Against Decatur put the pressure on the QB, and keep the pressure up.
Against Vernon it starts with stopping Whiteside.
Where is the game at?

Chief Woodman
09-18-2006, 10:49 PM
I think it is in Vernon, the skiing capitol of Texas.

#1Eaglefan
09-18-2006, 11:03 PM
The game is in Vernon. I think if Decatur can play with the intensity that they played with against Swater they can hang with any team. They may not have played their best game last week, but that is the best as far as team intensity that I have seen all year. The leaders, seniors & juniors need to keep the sideline pumped up and the fans into the game. Keep playing DECATUR football and they will do great things this year.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-18-2006, 11:30 PM
I think it will be a good game. It is in Vernon and I'll be in attendance.

Vernon started the year with the goal of passing the ball more. To provide a balanced attack. Somewhat like Wylie. Well they do not have either the QB or the receivers to do that. They have been trying but it has not worked. The QB's are not accurate downfield and the receivers can not catch the ball when it is thrown to them. In addition Vernon has been rolling the QB out to the wrong side having to throw back across his body. Takes too long and we get sacked.

Vernon does have a good running game. Stick to it and like my friend VWG said throw the short stuff--TE drags etc. Go with what works.

I want to say that Burk beat Decatur (I can't recall) if they did it was probably because of their running game. Vernon does have that so I give the Lions a chance. They looked great at home to open the season and have not looked good since. Maybe they get it together and maybe they don't.

This could be a close one and it could also be a blow out. I'll take the Lions in a close one (but it is really a homer pick--I sure wouldn't bet anything on it).

SideBurnWillie
09-19-2006, 12:40 AM

Cobb will eat these guys up!

VWG
09-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I think it will be a good game. It is in Vernon and I'll be in attendance.

Vernon started the year with the goal of passing the ball more. To provide a balanced attack. Somewhat like Wylie. Well they do not have either the QB or the receivers to do that. They have been trying but it has not worked. The QB's are not accurate downfield and the receivers can not catch the ball when it is thrown to them. In addition Vernon has been rolling the QB out to the wrong side having to throw back across his body. Takes too long and we get sacked.

Vernon does have a good running game. Stick to it and like my friend VWG said throw the short stuff--TE drags etc. Go with what works.

I want to say that Burk beat Decatur (I can't recall) if they did it was probably because of their running game. Vernon does have that so I give the Lions a chance. They looked great at home to open the season and have not looked good since. Maybe they get it together and maybe they don't.

This could be a close one and it could also be a blow out. I'll take the Lions in a close one (but it is really a homer pick--I sure wouldn't bet anything on it).

Burk got beat by Decatur... think the score was 21-10.

Underwater Basketweaver
09-19-2006, 07:25 AM

Decatur beat Burk 21-10. The main reason is because they shut down the run of Burk. Decatur beat Fort Worth Brewer, again because they shut down the run. Decatur also beat Sweetwater, in small part to "slowing" down the run. Special teams was a much larger factor, but they did hold sweetwater in the second half to much less than sweetwater is accustomed to.

I'm not saying we will stop the Vernon running game, but we have had some success at stopping the run.

STANG RED
09-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Underwater Basketweaver
Decatur also beat Sweetwater, in small part to "slowing" down the run. Special teams was a much larger factor, but they did hold sweetwater in the second half to much less than sweetwater is accustomed to.

This is true, however, since our D had to play nearly the entire 2nd half, and our O hardley ever even saw the field, it would have been hard to have gotten many yards. That being said, the Decatur D, did do a pretty good job all in all. If the whole Decatur team plays as well against Vernon, as they did in the 2nd 1/2 against Swater, they should roll in this one. They just need to guard against that let down, that some teams fall victim to, after a big win. Good luck to both teams in this one. It should be a great game.
Decatur 28
Vernon 14

VWG
09-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Decatur hasn't seen the RB that Vernon has. Sweetwater and Burk both have great RB's.... but I don't think they are even close to the load that Whiteside brings at 232lbs.... with speed.
Not to say that Vernon will win this game, just noting that Decatur will have to deal with a kid that is more smash mouth than get to the corner type RB.
On the other side, Vernon hasn't seen a QB as good as Cobb.
Vernon will have to contain Cobb and keep him in the pocket. If you're gonna beat Decatur make Cobb beat you with his arm, not with his feet. Don't let him scramble.... bring 5 or 6 guys up on the line, jam the receivers off the line and throw them out of their normal routes.

sweetwater07
09-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Decatur hasn't seen the RB that Vernon has. Sweetwater and Burk both have great RB's.... but I don't think they are even close to the load that Whiteside brings at 232lbs.... with speed.

lol thats funny....considering that our backs are 2 of the fastest in the state...i'd put Banyard against anything Vernon has.....:D ;)

Bullaholic
09-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Not to say that Vernon will win this game, just noting that Decatur will have to deal with a kid that is more smash mouth than get to the corner type RB.
On the other side, Vernon hasn't seen a QB as good as Cobb.
Vernon will have to contain Cobb and keep him in the pocket. If you're gonna beat Decatur make Cobb beat you with his arm, not with his feet. Don't let him scramble.... bring 5 or 6 guys up on the line, jam the receivers off the line and throw them out of their normal routes.

Only prob with that VWG, is that Cobb is not the Eagles only weapon. You put 8 in the box, and Cardenas will kill you receiving. But, that's what the good ones do---they make it tough on your "D" to defend them.

VWG
09-19-2006, 10:05 AM
lol thats funny....considering that our backs are 2 of the fastest in the state...i'd put Banyard against anything Vernon has.....:D ;)

I would bet that Nate Brown at Burk or Banyard from Sweetwater would kill to have the size that Whiteside brings. They may be faster, but wouldn't Kent Jackson love to have a kid that is 232 lbs and runs a 4.6 40?

sweetwater07
09-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by VWG
I would bet that Nate Brown at Burk or Banyard from Sweetwater would kill to have the size that Whiteside brings. They may be faster, but wouldn't Kent Jackson love to have a kid that is 232 lbs and runs a 4.6 40?

Green is faster no doubt....but Banyard is HUGE and just as fast....like i said...i'd put Banyard on my team before anything Vernon has to offer at this point....i really think he'll go Div. I this year.....but i also haven't seen this kid your talking about so..... maybe when i see him i'll change my opinion

VWG
09-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Only prob with that VWG, is that Cobb is not the Eagles only weapon. You put 8 in the box, and Cardenas will kill you receiving. But, that's what the good ones do---they make it tough on your "D" to defend them.

I agree somewhat.... it all starts with the QB. You put 5 to 6 guys going at Cobb all night. Put the pressure on him to make the quick throw.... don't give him time to read the defense. Disguise the blitz on some downs, others just bring it all out.
The key is disruption of the timing. A good wide reciever will not be effective if he is jammed at the line and his QB is under heat.
I think this philosophy works against any spread team.... but with Decatur (Cobb has more rushing TD's than passing TD's) you can't drop 7 or 8 in coverage and let Cobb dictate whether he runs or throws. He is too good for that.

VWG
09-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Green is faster no doubt....but Banyard is HUGE and just as fast....like i said...i'd put Banyard on my team before anything Vernon has to offer at this point....i really think he'll go Div. I this year.....but i also haven't seen this kid your talking about so..... maybe when i see him i'll change my opinion

Huge... you mean he carries 225 + on his frame? The kid from Vernon is 6'2" and 232lbs.

sweetwater07
09-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Huge... you mean he carries 225 + on his frame? The kid from Vernon is 6'2" and 232lbs.

i would figure his height would make him get started slower.....can he break tackles pretty good??...idk how much Banyard weighs...but its over 200 i'm pretty sure....i need to see this Vernon kid so i can talk good about him as you are doing...maybe i'm just a homer and can't see past my own Backfield.....lol:D

Butkus
09-19-2006, 10:19 AM
i would figure his height would make him get started slower.....can he break tackles pretty good??...idk how much Banyard weighs...but its over 200 i'm pretty sure....i need to see this Vernon kid so i can talk good about him as you are doing...maybe i'm just a homer and can't see past my own Backfield.....lol:D I think ya need ta get back ta studyin and quit making tha Mustangs look like they have another poster with no clue.

SideBurnWillie
09-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Butkus
I think ya need ta get back ta studyin and quit making tha Mustangs look like they have another poster with no clue.

Mobleys English Class!!

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-19-2006, 10:55 AM
The WHiteside kid is the real deal. He worked very hard this off season and put on 20 pounds in one year! He is also very fast too. He ran the 110 hurdles last year you can go and look up his times at Texastrack.com. Not sure what he ran as I haven't looked him up. But I would say that he is a 4.6 40 guy. Not blazing but he is a heck of a load. WM did a good job against him and I suspect that Decauter will too. Now we also have a guy Chase Graf who is speedy. May check him out at Texastrack.com too. Not as fast as Green from Sweetwater but he hits the hole and spurts through it very fast. Then we have another speed guy in #2, but he dances too much.

If Decautur has shut down the running games of these other teams I don't see them not doing the same thing this week. Vernon has no passing game even though they try to do it. They may get lucky with a catch or two.

NateDawg39
09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
The WHiteside kid is the real deal. He worked very hard this off season and put on 20 pounds in one year! He is also very fast too. He ran the 110 hurdles last year you can go and look up his times at Texastrack.com. Not sure what he ran as I haven't looked him up. But I would say that he is a 4.6 40 guy. Not blazing but he is a heck of a load. WM did a good job against him and I suspect that Decauter will too. Now we also have a guy Chase Graf who is speedy. May check him out at Texastrack.com too. Not as fast as Green from Sweetwater but he hits the hole and spurts through it very fast. Then we have another speed guy in #2, but he dances too much.

If Decautur has shut down the running games of these other teams I don't see them not doing the same thing this week. Vernon has no passing game even though they try to do it. They may get lucky with a catch or two. Its DECATUR!!! Not decatuer or decauter!! Gosh!! and if they dont work an effective pass game...they arent going to win this one. Thats my opinion...one dimensional teams arent as effective as they were 15 years ago. 38-21 Decatur

Odis
09-19-2006, 11:21 AM
>>one demisional <<

Bud, I think you mean: one dimensional. Not so funny except that you had to go correcting everyone on how to spell Decatur.

BTW, Do they still say "Eighter from Decatur?"

Odis

NateDawg39
09-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Odis
>>one demisional <<

Bud, I think you mean: one dimensional. Not so funny except that you had to go correcting everyone on how to spell Decatur.

BTW, Do they still say "Eighter from Decatur?"

Odis :D I was never one to look back at how I spell on the board...Its always pointed out some where or another...but wait I did spell it right!! Yeah they still say it..

jmcgee
09-19-2006, 12:21 PM
i dont think u could say decatur shut down swaters run, cause they didnt have the ball but maybe 2 times the second half

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-19-2006, 02:56 PM
My bad on Decatur. Typo -- I was in a hurry when I typed that last message. No disrespect meant to anyone who lives, cares about, and or drives through the city. My most humble apologies.