PDA

View Full Version : PAC 10 Suspends Officials For One Game

piratebg
09-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Pac-10 suspends officials for one game

September 18, 2006

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- The Pacific-10 Conference, finding merit in Oklahoma's complaints about the officiating in its loss to Oregon, issued a one-game suspension Monday to the officiating crew and the instant replay officials who worked the game and an apology to the Sooners.

The Ducks won the game 34-33 after scoring two touchdowns in the final 72 seconds.

"Errors clearly were made and not corrected, and for that we apologize to the University of Oklahoma, coach Bob Stoops and his players," Pac-10 Commissioner Tom Hansen said in a statement. "They played an outstanding college football game, as did Oregon, and it is regrettable that the outcome of the contest was affected by the officiating."

Two plays were reviewed on Oregon's game-winning drive -- an onside kick that gave the Ducks possession and a pass interference call one play before the winning touchdown.

Hansen said the onside kick was touched by an Oregon player before it had traveled the required 10 yards, and, therefore, the ball should have been awarded to Oklahoma. The video also shows a Sooners player actually recovered the ball, although that aspect of the play was not reviewable under the instant replay rule.

"The fact that the errors on the onside kick altered the outcome of the game is most unfortunate and unsettling," Hansen said. "We had a solid veteran crew assigned, and the instant replay official had a fine career as a referee in the Pac-10.

"We believe in the ability and integrity of each individual involved. It should be noted that not all of the seven officials were directly involved in the play in question, but the entire crew bears responsibility for every play. Game officials and replay officials have positions of great responsibility and must be accountable for their actions."

Stoops has also said he believes Oklahoma defensive end C.J. Ah You tipped a pass by Dennis Dixon that resulted in a pass interference penalty. If the ball was indeed tipped, the penalty would have been negated.

The replay officials ruled that there was not indisputable video evidence that the ball had been tipped.

Hansen said that the future work of the officials who were suspended will be closely monitored.

"The training and experience of officials at this level enable them to work at a high degree of accuracy," he said. "Unfortunately, at the critical moment of this game, errors were made."

Updated on Monday, Sep 18, 2006 6:56 pm EDT

kaorder1999
09-18-2006, 06:25 PM
WOW...this is getting wild...

Pudlugger
09-18-2006, 06:44 PM
No way that the outcome of this game gets altered. The gamblers would go into apoplexy. I mean how would they manage that?:confused:

Emerson1
09-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Did they suspend the onfield officials or the booth offcials? Seems like the onfield officials didn't do anything wrong, they made the calls in real time.

lostaussie
09-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by piratebg

"Errors clearly were made and not corrected, and for that we apologize to the University of Oklahoma, coach Bob Stoops and his players," Pac-10 Commissioner Tom Hansen said in a statement. "They played an outstanding college football game, as did Oregon, and it is regrettable that the outcome of the contest was affected by the officiating."

yep, I'm thinking that made ole Bob feel a little better:D

VAMike
09-18-2006, 08:14 PM
The entire crew of 7 on field officials and the replay official were suspended for a game for the apparent errors of 2 on field officials and 1 booth official. Someone please let me know the next time a coach gets suspended for a game for a bonhead decision in one game.

STANG RED
09-18-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm just hoping OU gets thumped another time or two, between now and bowl time, so we dont have to hear about this during bowl selections.

Stownhorse
09-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'm just hoping OU gets thumped another time or two, between now and bowl time, so we dont have to hear about this during bowl selections.

What about the UAB vs. OU officials? lol

luvhoops34
09-18-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't like OU....BUT.....They got totally screwed by the reffs in the game with Oregon.

And by golly, the reffs need to be held accountable! And IMO, a one game suspension isn't enough!

VAMike
09-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Yep it was the refs who let the freakin Oregon Ducks pile up 500 yards on the OU defense and it was the refs who stopped the OU offense 3 times inside the 10 and forced them to kick FG's instead of scoring TDs.