PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Year?

Cameron Crazy
09-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Do you think this is a rebuilding year for graham or do you think we are not playing to our potential?:thinking:

lostaussie
09-18-2006, 05:43 PM
how many seniors you got? cause its not rebuilding if you have lots of upper classmen.

MagicMan
09-18-2006, 05:43 PM
its most likely poor game planning

Cameron Crazy
09-18-2006, 05:46 PM
We have about 7 or 8 seniors!

VWG
09-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Freshman QB... no running game.... injuries to key players (one starting LB who was all-dist. gone, another returning starting WR who hasn't played a game due to injury)
I would chalk it up to answer D- ALL OF THE ABOVE

Cameron Crazy
09-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Freshman QB... no running game.... injuries to key players (one starting LB who was all-dist. gone, another returning starting WR who hasn't played a game due to injury)
I would chalk it up to answer D- ALL OF THE ABOVE You have a great point but i think we might do OKAY :thinking: when district comes around we will have to see.

thewyliefan
09-18-2006, 08:25 PM
i think coach mccoy needs to quit putting his boy first and let the kid who played QB last year do the job at least for another year. When wylie played graham, case mccoy seemed to be almost scared at times

WTF-82
09-18-2006, 10:32 PM
I agree here McCoy could learn a lot more especially getting his
rhythem down in sub-varsity ranks. QB is a tough little job. Specially the kind of offense Graham runs with a young QB makes it tough for a young one in the Varsity level specially this early in the year. The level of competion that Graham has played has been impressive.

VWG
09-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Did Colt McCoy start his freshman year at Jim Ned?

RMAC
09-18-2006, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure, but that wouldn't have been NEARLY as uncommon as it is now as Jim Ned is a 2A school. But to answer Cameron's question, I think Graham is somewhere in the middle. They only start 2 sr's this year on offense due to the injury of one more, and they only have I believe 5 or 6 on defense. Do they have the talent to compete, I believe so. Have they played to their potential yet, not hardly. The young McCoy is a good QB. He knows the offense better than any other person on the team, save his older brother, and the one problem that Case doesn't have that Stansell had last year, he can see over his blockers. He can hit that pass over the middle w/o having to role out to do it. He can also run a little bit too. Plus, after watching Stansell play the other night, he plays a lot bigger than his 5'8" frame would lead one to believe. I believe he had 2 or 3 pretty good licks on some kids that were a good 4 inches taller than he was. So in the end, I say, just give them some time. After all, he's young and has a lot of learning to do in a short amount of time. I bet they'll be ready to go come time for district play. I still have faith in the Steers.

injuredinmelee
09-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Did Colt McCoy start his freshman year at Jim Ned?

He did not start but played a ton!

Here is my take on the Graham QB situation. Case will be the best football palyer out of all the MCCoy boys. Colt and Chance are both excellent players but Case will be the one that excels. There are a lot of peopel that know the entire family that will tell you the exact same thing. His physical abilities compared to the rest of the kids his age are just ridiculous. Case gives the Steers their best opportunity to win football games. It isnt the freshman qb that is losing games it is the lack of speed and the lack of size.

WTF-82
09-19-2006, 02:41 PM
very good.

zeus63
09-19-2006, 02:44 PM
From what I have seen, graham has played a pretty rough pre-district schedule. i wouldn't count them out just yet.

Adidas410s
09-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
i think coach mccoy needs to quit putting his boy first and let the kid who played QB last year do the job at least for another year. When wylie played graham, case mccoy seemed to be almost scared at times

Are you serious??? Did you watch any of their games last year...other than the 1 time where they beat Wylie?? Their QB last year, Stansell, was a sophmore who is 5'7" or 5'8". He couldn't see over his lineman and could barely throw a 10 yd out route without floating it and or getting it picked off. As others have said, he isn't able to throw across the middle over the lineman (not to mention the defenders) so it relegated the offense to screens and out routes.

To sum it up...why would you want to waste ANOTHER year of starting a QB who can't run the offense? You are then having kids on your squad that are being taught one offense...and then having to run a shell of it because of an inadequate QB. Plus, it would only make things worse next year to have to bench Stansell, who would then have been a 2 yr starter at QB, his senior year and force him to learn a new position.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Each week the Steers get better. It may not seem that way but by district time they again will be a playoff contender. This is going to really be a showdown in a few weeks. Just wondering who is going to lose to Hirschi?

VWG
09-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Each week the Steers get better. It may not seem that way but by district time they again will be a playoff contender. This is going to really be a showdown in a few weeks. Just wondering who is going to lose to Hirschi?

You're right... Hirschi could beat somebody this year in district.
I will be keeping my eye on Friday night's game between them and Breckenridge. First big test for the Huskies.

McCoy is going to be a good player, no doubt about it. He still makes freshman mistakes... but who wouldn't? When was the last time anybody had a freshman starting on varsity at the 3A level? The only problem is that McCoy won't finish his HS career in Graham.... and this year it could cost those kids that are out there as seniors a playoff spot. Graham's QB last year had some issues but they still only lost to IP at Iowa Park 14 - 9, and they beat Breckenridge and Hirschi last year in district with him at QB.
So.... for this year, maybe they would be better off with the kid that played QB last year, because I doubt if Brad McCoy stays coaching in the 3A ranks after this year.

Odis
09-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Iowa Park will probably lose to Hirschi.....

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Odis
Iowa Park will probably lose to Hirschi.....

Never know...could be Graham...or Vernon...or Burk...I think that one of them will lose to Hirschi.

As far as Graham and rebuilding...they shouldn't have been in such a rush to get rid of a coaching staff that was dominating the district. Almost a "I told you this would happen" story.

VWG
09-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Never know...could be Graham...or Vernon...or Burk...I think that one of them will lose to Hirschi.

As far as Graham and rebuilding...they shouldn't have been in such a rush to get rid of a coaching staff that was dominating the district. Almost a "I told you this would happen" story.

or kinda like the Aggies with RC Slocum & Dennis Francione

VWG
09-19-2006, 05:46 PM

or you know... now that I think about it... Graham didn't get rid of Bourquin. I think he left because Mineral Wells paid more and he had no AD duties, just coach football.

RMAC
09-19-2006, 06:09 PM
That's correct VWG. Really, who'd tell a guy that's had x-district championships in a row to leave?

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by VWG
or you know... now that I think about it... Graham didn't get rid of Bourquin. I think he left because Mineral Wells paid more and he had no AD duties, just coach football.

Why he was looking in the first place? Graham could have paid him more to stay. Maybe he was run off. I don't know since I don't live in Graham. I do remember a lot of grumbling about him from Graham posters. The one and done stuff.

I would raise my taxes a bit to pay Leo Britian to come back to Vernon! Please come back Leo!!!!!

Coach Hall took us to the semi's so he didn't do too bad. I know he is up at the school 24/7 looking at film and thinking about football.

or kinda like the Aggies with RC Slocum & Dennis Francione

Yes just like A&M

I was guilty myself on that one. Man have things been bad.