PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Fouts Field/UNT

3afan
09-07-2003, 07:27 AM
went to Baylor @ UNT Sat. night - shocking 52-14 UNT win. good game presentation by UNT, they're trying SO hard to be big time. but, until they replace Fouts Field they won't take that step up. the stadium will seat 30,000+ but logistically they cant handle near that. Parking & concession were really bad and the stadium iteslef is ugly. Worst part is that 50 yard line seats are 50 yards from the field. But they do have a great new scoreboard, which they lit up Sat. night against the hapless Bears. And I got a Booger towel!

<small>[ September 07, 2003, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

Rabbit'93
09-07-2003, 12:14 PM
3Afan i know what you mean. The stadium is horrible. You're so far away from the action. If they ever want to be big time and attract quality recruits they're going to have to step it up in the stadium department.

Gobbla2001
09-07-2003, 12:26 PM
And to get a new stadium they need money... And to make a good ammount of money to build a nicer/better stadium, they need to keep playing teams from confrences like the Big 12 (which they have been doing)... One step at a time, unless you wanna pay for the new stadium?

Gilmer Buckeye
09-07-2003, 04:03 PM
The only thing "shocking" about the game to me was that Baylor scored.

Baylor is so bad they just proved they shouldn't even be admitted to the Sun Belt Conference (UNT's affiliation). The Big 12 really needs to have a pow-wow and kick these pathetic and corrupt losers out.

UNT has gone through several name changes. Basically it started out as a teachers' college. Its original name in 1893 was Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute. Then it was North Texas Normal College. Then it was NTSC and then NTSU before adopting UNT about 15 years ago. I may be leaving out a few name changes. It just goes to show that changing your name doesn't necessarily do anything for your reputation or facilities.

North Texas was on the edge of greatness when Hayden Fry was coaching them in the 70s. Then he left for Iowa and they went downhill again. They won a bowl game last year, though, New Orleans Bowl, IIRC.

ThaRealBulldog
09-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Gilmer Buckeye come on, Baylor won't get booted out of the Big 12. Yes they are horrible at football, but their baseball program is good. Baylor has a new football coach that has nothing to work with but they will get better. They are the only private school in the Big 12 also.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Baseball is different as Rice showed in the College World Series.

Baylor has had, what, eight years now to prove itself at football in the Big 12 and has failed miserably. It would be to the benefit of that school and to the Big 12 for them to at least drop football and let a team take their place in the South Division that can compete. Someone mentioned Colorado State a while back. The only problem is that is a "North" school and you have to keep it balanced.

The days of Baylor being able to compete at the BCS level are over. I'll bet even a lot of the green-and-gold realize this. But their pride won't let them admit the mistake they made in not going the TCU route. Look at TCU. Sure, it has no fan support and thus cannot be Big 12 either, but it is a Top 25 team or close to it year in and year out.

When you start having athletes murder each other at a supposedly "Christian" school, you know something has gone horribly wrong.

3afan
09-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Hold on - penalty !!! "When you start having athletes murder each other at a supposedly "Christian" school, you know something has gone horribly wrong. " ---- that was an isolated criminal incident by a disturbed person. to condemn baylor for that is WAY out of bounds. to even relate it to the state of an athletic program, let alone a university, is wrong.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Yeah, you're probably right.

But that Baylor president strikes me as one of these insufferable types who wears his religion on his sleeve. Usually a quiet witness of one's faith is better than chest-thumping displays of piety. There is even a parable of Jesus Christ illustrating this point.

Sloan's style is grating on even a lot of the influential Baylor alumni and certainly most of the tenured faculty. That's why there's a movement to get rid of him.

Also, apparently you didn't hear about Dave Bliss' attempted coverup of the whole situation. He was trying to insinuate the dead player was a 'drug dealer' and thus 'got what he deserved' to some extent.

An assistant coach (now fired as all whistle-blowers are) ratted out Bliss and a tape emerged of Bliss' duplicitous shenanigans which was turned over to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram to be printed in full. It may even still be on their website. Bliss wound up looking like college basketball's version of Richard Nixon.

Baylor is in a conference full of "big dogs" and should never have gotten off the porch.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-07-2003, 06:57 PM
This link provide some background on the Bliss coverup. The Star-Telegram's stuff is now archived and you'd have to pay to read it.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0816/1597646.html

3afan
09-07-2003, 07:19 PM
i know all about the bliss coverup ... again an incident by one person ... irrelevant to Baylor's football problems. hey I grew up rooting for the Bears - I grew up in Cove. I'm not really a Baylor fan (SFA!), except when they play non-Texas teams. Just be fair .....

crzyjournalist03
09-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Being a current UNT student, I must admit that I skipped the Baylor game to go to the Forney-Horn game Fri. night.

As for Baylor leaving the Big XII, there actually is some talk that they may be kicked out, possibly to be replaced by Arkansas, TCU, or UNT.

3afan
09-07-2003, 09:54 PM
Arkansas best bet of those 3 - TCU no way, B12 would not want another private school - UNT, no no way, not with out 1) a new football stadium, 2) lots LOTS more attendance at football (20K won't cut it), 3) a baseball program (possibly), 4) prolly more ... UNT is not near B12 caliber in athletics - they're better off in a new regional conference
by the way crazyj, I went to the FHS/Horn game & the UNT game !?!?!

crzyjournalist03
09-08-2003, 09:33 AM
3afan:
Arkansas best bet of those 3 - TCU no way, B12 would not want another private school - UNT, no no way, not with out 1) a new football stadium, 2) lots LOTS more attendance at football (20K won't cut it), 3) a baseball program (possibly), 4) prolly more ... UNT is not near B12 caliber in athletics - they're better off in a new regional conference
by the way crazyj, I went to the FHS/Horn game & the UNT game !?!?!with gasoline prices this high?

3afan
09-08-2003, 12:38 PM
well I got the UNT tix back in Jan ..........

crzyjournalist03
09-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Just heard yesterday that the university is planning on building a new staduim in a few years...could just be a rumor, but heard it from some fellow students who have been here a while.