PDA

View Full Version : Region I Game of the Week (3): Sweetwater @ Canyon

LH Panther Mom
09-18-2006, 07:31 AM
***Note: Yes, Sweetwater was part of week 2 GotW, but Canyon needs some love too.***

Sweetwater Mustangs (dist 7) will travel to Canyon (dist 5) to play the Eagles, FRIDAY NIGHT, 7:30.

The Mustangs are currently at 2-1, having defeated WF High & Brownwood and a loss this past week to Decatur. They returned 3/6 starters from their DII semifinalist team, with heavy losses on the OL. Can they overcome their loss to the Eagles team and rebound against another tough set of birds?

The Eagles were D1 regional semifinalists in 2005, return 5/7 from last season and have a 3-0 record thus far, with nice wins over Amarillo Caprock (4A), Dumas (4A) and Seminole. QB Anthony Ramos returns to lead the Eagle offense. Can they continue their winning streak?

Thoughts? Predictions?

Tiger Baseball
09-18-2006, 09:13 AM
So I was dreaming...:D

big daddy russ
09-18-2006, 09:45 AM
ROFL. This is great, LHPM. I've got a bigger kick out of this whole deal than anything else.

But back to the game, if there's one game I'd love to see this week, this is the one. Not Cuero/LH, not Hutto/Giddings. Sweetwater can put up some points and so can Canyon. It should be a fun one.

BMOC
09-18-2006, 09:48 AM
I think SW reobunds from their loss against Brownwood.

Tiger Baseball
09-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by BMOC
I think SW reobunds from their loss against Brownwood.

:doh: That was Decatur.

LH Panther Mom
09-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Tiger Baseball
:doh: That was Decatur.
What's worse is I thought I had messed up, so I edited to the Lions.....then went :doh: :doh: to myself and fixed it back.

Snyder_TigerFan
09-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Can the Sweetwater secondary contain the passing game of Canyon? Against Sweetwater, WF was 17 of 32 for 154yds (with several dropped passes) and Brownwood was 13 or 19 for 237yds. I think Sweetwater can contain Canyon's run, but I don't know about the pass. On the flip side, can Canyon contain Sweetwater's run? Seminole seemed to have racked up quite a few yards rusing.

This should be a good game. I guess I'll go with the Mustangs by 3.

DU_stud04
09-18-2006, 10:36 AM
where's the Juarez/Anthony love? :D

Snyder_TigerFan
09-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04

USA!!! USA!!!

DU_stud04
09-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
USA!!! USA!!!

hahaaha

sweetwater07
09-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Can the Sweetwater secondary contain the passing game of Canyon? Against Sweetwater, WF was 17 of 32 for 154yds (with several dropped passes) and Brownwood was 13 or 19 for 237yds. I think Sweetwater can contain Canyon's run, but I don't know about the pass. On the flip side, can Canyon contain Sweetwater's run? Seminole seemed to have racked up quite a few yards rusing.

This should be a good game. I guess I'll go with the Mustangs by 3.

after the sorry night we had aganst Decatur, i think our whole team has seen the picture.....(you CAN beat yourselves)....and thats exactly what we did last thursday...this week i think our secondary will kick it up a notch..though Canyon will complete passes i think our "explosive" offense will even it out......i say if we win its by 3

sweetwater07
09-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04

i know i thought that was a great game of the week......even though ours is more intense...nothing like a little international competition...

TheDOCTORdre
09-18-2006, 11:09 AM
wheres my Lamesa/Levelland GotW?

football4life
09-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Thank you LHPM, nice to have one of these. now on to the game. watched our boys against seminole the other night, and the offense looks like it has steadily improved, and Ramos made some pretty incredible throws, one TD pass was in the air for about 40 yards, against the 10-20 mph south wind, and hit his man in stride. he is the real deal, and a very big threat running the ball. the o-line has really improved, no more bad snaps and the run game looked good too, a combination of three different running backs, each one with a different style. if the receivers make plays, Canyon will score a lot of points.

as far as the defense, the linebackers are speedy and strong, but did have a little trouble with seminole's qb, he was very shifty, so i would expect green and co. to rack up some yards, but will they finish those drives? that will be the key for them. our defense tends to bend not break, so it will be interesting.

football4life
09-18-2006, 01:49 PM
I'll take my eagles in a bit of a shoot-out, 41-30. (you guys back me up on this, i've got faith in you. NAPP)

Chief Woodman
09-18-2006, 01:54 PM
If Canyon pooch kicks each time....well you know

EricDraven
09-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Man, tough call. Hate to go against either Kent or Blake. Going to lean towards the 'Stangs, but the Eagles will make it a war.

Old Tiger
09-18-2006, 03:22 PM
S'water

eagles72
09-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Have to go with Canyon, they have proved that they can run the ball just as well as the pass game, and the OL just keeps getting better, gives Ramos plenty of time to do what he needs to. I think the defense will be well prepared for this game too!!

garciap77
09-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Like both teams, but have to go with Canyon by 7. They have less turnover problems and are well balance with passing and running. Good luck to both teams.

Phantom Stang
09-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Sweetwater by 7

Phantom Stang
09-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
If Canyon pooch kicks each time....well you know
LOL I have a hunch that by Friday Night, the Mustangs will be expert "pooch kick" handlers!!:D :p

mustang04
09-18-2006, 05:49 PM
mustangs by a pubic hair:D

hey, grow up ppl, i'm in nursing and have taken anatomy and whatnot, and when i say pubic hair i have a legit reason...cuz they arent going to win BIG, but they are going to win by more than a normal hair......get your minds outta the gutter!!!

carter08
09-18-2006, 05:52 PM
I miss the old game :(

thumptbh
09-18-2006, 05:59 PM
canyon by 21

STANG RED
09-18-2006, 06:45 PM
I think both teams will score a lot of points, with the one having the ball last, winning. 42-38 Sweetwater, but only if we hang on to the ball, and dont make stupid mistakes. I hope Canyon tries a pooch kick or two myself. Our boys need to get that ugly monkey off their backs, and if we do handle it, we'll have a short field. Look for the offences to rack up 350-400 yards each. Sweetwater needs to make several long time consuming scoring drives, to keep Canyons O on the sidelines as much as possible. 3 and outs will be very expensive, for either team.

gobbler grad
09-18-2006, 08:14 PM
tough one here to call...Sweetwater needs a win after last week, bur their playing in Canyon...I'm thinking real close, Canyon wins by 1 pt. special teams here will be the key...Sweetwater, prove me wrong...
:thinking:

sweetwater07
09-18-2006, 08:34 PM
i'm worried about our secondary in this game...i think Canyon might have a field day passing on us...

Stownhorse
09-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by thumptbh
canyon by 21

Sweetwater by 21:D

sweetwater07
09-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Sweetwater by 21:D

idk about all that there lefty...i say by 3-7 points IF we get the W

Stownhorse
09-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
idk about all that there lefty...i say by 3-7 points IF we get the W

Idk about that there John Madden

sweetwater07
09-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Idk about that there John Madden

thats real cute...one armed bandit!!!

football4life
09-18-2006, 09:25 PM
just a side note: got to talk to coach jackson the other night after the canyon-seminole game, and he is one heck of a guy. i met him last spring, and i admire him and his program very much. almost as much as coach Bryant and his program. ;)

Scholar
09-18-2006, 10:05 PM
How has Sweetwater's offensive backfield been doing? I hear those boys are some big time fighters.

Snyder_TigerFan
09-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Scholar
How has Sweetwater's offensive backfield been doing? I hear those boys are some big time fighters.

:thinking: :thinking: I've been waiting for things to get interesting.

SideBurnWillie
09-18-2006, 11:38 PM
:thinking: :thinking: I've been waiting for things to get interesting.

Ya where are all those Swater posters that talk alot chit.

Stownhorse
09-19-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by SideBurnWillie
Ya where are all those Swater posters that talk alot chit.

Im right here patna

SideBurnWillie
09-19-2006, 12:16 AM
yep your the one

Stownhorse
09-19-2006, 12:19 AM
yep your the one

ah your just a rookie

SideBurnWillie
09-19-2006, 12:22 AM
ah your just a rookie

Yep just got my license tonight, been reading for quite some time.

Stownhorse
09-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Yep just got my license tonight, been reading for quite some time.

how long did it take them to approve you?

SideBurnWillie
09-19-2006, 12:32 AM
how long did it take them to approve you?

1 month didn't think i was ever going to get on here

sWaterislife
09-19-2006, 09:34 AM
I think its going to be a Game 1 Gameplan.. Run the clock keep the scores low...

I too stress over our defense... Sad thing is nobody is really playing the old type offenses anymore our strength lies in beating up the running teams.. OUR Pass D is a whole nother nut to crack.. This year our guys are so into getting the big hit that sometimes they miss the easy INT and the Ball Carrier..

J.J. McCoy was lights out last week.. Just hitting guys over and over but WE need the Big T.O. (im not talking about T.Owens either).. We need the turnovers.. I would be scared going over the middle with these guys but at the sametime... IF im the QB i wouldnt worry about throwing over the middle.. I guess if your a WR you tell the QB throw it in tight..lol..

Needless to say i think we're looking at a 28-24 game, and im only picking Sweetwater because im here..

Good Coaches make adjustments.. And i think Jackson starts to fix this problem..

sweetwater07
09-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by sWaterislife
I think its going to be a Game 1 Gameplan.. Run the clock keep the scores low...

I too stress over our defense... Sad thing is nobody is really playing the old type offenses anymore our strength lies in beating up the running teams.. OUR Pass D is a whole nother nut to crack.. This year our guys are so into getting the big hit that sometimes they miss the easy INT and the Ball Carrier..

J.J. McCoy was lights out last week.. Just hitting guys over and over but WE need the Big T.O. (im not talking about T.Owens either).. We need the turnovers.. I would be scared going over the middle with these guys but at the sametime... IF im the QB i wouldnt worry about throwing over the middle.. I guess if your a WR you tell the QB throw it in tight..lol..

Needless to say i think we're looking at a 28-24 game, and im only picking Sweetwater because im here..

Good Coaches make adjustments.. And i think Jackson starts to fix this problem..

nicely said...i am also worrying about our pass D....hopefully Mobley has fixed this problem by friday..because if i know Canyon..they will mix it up against us just like Tatum did...run throw..run.. throw

SideBurnWillie
09-19-2006, 09:52 AM
nicely said...i am also worrying about our pass D....hopefully Mobley has fixed this problem by friday..because if i know Canyon..they will mix it up against us just like Tatum did...run throw..run.. throw

POOCH KICK.........POOCH KICK...........POOCH KICK..............POOCH KICK.........HALF TIME.............POOCH KICK.............POOCH KICK.............POOCH KICK..............POOCH KICK............FINAL...........:thinking:

sweetwater07
09-19-2006, 09:53 AM
POOCH KICK.........POOCH KICK...........POOCH KICK..............POOCH KICK.........HALF TIME.............POOCH KICK.............POOCH KICK.............POOCH KICK..............POOCH KICK............FINAL...........:thinking: \

if i know Mobley.......they will be experts at the pooch kick by Frdiay...:D

SideBurnWillie
09-19-2006, 10:04 AM
\

Do ya know Mobley :confused:

sweetwater07
09-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Do ya know Mobley :confused:

lol yes he's the defensive coordinator...and i'm also sitting in his wifes senior english class as i type this....

jmcgee
09-19-2006, 10:37 AM
\

they should done somethin to fix it thursday night.

football4life
09-19-2006, 06:16 PM
votes are 27-27 so far

jlwzz
09-19-2006, 06:30 PM
well after last week and the big dogs at SW didnt take control of the game on offense and Cobb had an ok night passing im go to say.

Canyon 33
SWater 27

i dont think they both get 75 points total, i think the defensive cordinators will stop that from happening,

IM JUST A ROOKIE SO WHO CARES.

good luck to both teams, i really would like to see Sweetwater win. just so we can see them again

DaHop72
09-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by jmcgee
they should done somethin to fix it thursday night. Touche:doh: :doh:

sweetwater07
09-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by jlwzz
well after last week and the big dogs at SW didnt take control of the game on offense and Cobb had an ok night passing im go to say.

Canyon 33
SWater 27
i really would like to see Sweetwater win. just so we can see them again

get off your high horse...yall beat us...congrats....but your taking it over the line when you rub it in

its_n_D_water
09-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by jlwzz

Canyon 33
SWater 27

i dont think they both get 75 points total, i think the defensive cordinators will stop that from happening,

IM JUST A ROOKIE SO WHO CARES.

good luck to both teams, i really would like to see Sweetwater win. just so we can see them again

Phantom Stang
09-19-2006, 09:33 PM
\

they will be experts at the pooch kick by Frdiay...:D
Plagiarist!!!:foul:

j/k:D

Stownhorse
09-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by its_n_D_water

okay....anywayz welcome to the downlow!

sweetwater07
09-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Plagiarist!!!:foul:

j/k:D

Nash would kill me after me taking his english class and then Plagerizing...LOL

Technoredneck
09-19-2006, 10:53 PM
The way I see it S'water's foes the last 3 games have exposed some weaknesses that need to be addressed for them to win. Will they be able to cover all of those bases this week against a Canyon team that seems to be running smoothly in all areas? I don't think the Mustangs can plug all of the leaks in the dike and I think that Canyon will exploit at least 1 of those exposed flaws and pull out the victory in a good old fashioned football game. Truely a game of the week, too bad we can't all see the replay of this one, is should be a dandy.

Canyon 35-24.

Tech

Stownhorse
09-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
The way I see it S'water's foes the last 3 games have exposed some weaknesses that need to be addressed for them to win. Will they be able to cover all of those bases this week against a Canyon team that seems to be running smoothly in all areas? I don't think the Mustangs can plug all of the leaks in the dike and I think that Canyon will exploit at least 1 of those exposed flaws and pull out the victory in a good old fashioned football game. Truely a game of the week, too bad we can't all see the replay of this one, is should be a dandy.

Canyon 35-24.

Tech

Hard to plug leaks when your playin teams like sanford-fritch for instance or Idalou or caprock(which
I've never heard of)

Stown

football4life
09-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Hard to plug leaks when your playin teams like sanford-fritch for instance or Idalou or caprock(which
I've never heard of)

Stown

haven't played fritch yet, yes they are weak, but that makes your point irrelevant. idalou was a scrimmage, again, irrelevant, and i won't attempt to defend caprock, they are a very bad 4A. schedule strength doesn't always mean a whole lot. we haven't had the greatest strength of schedule over the past few years, but i think we could ask the likes of A. Wylie whether or not our teams have been legit.

LH Panther Mom
09-20-2006, 06:37 AM
get off your high horse...yall beat us...congrats....but your taking it over the line when you rub it in
:doh: :doh: That's funny!

sWaterislife
09-20-2006, 09:31 AM
In the future.. Sweetwater07 please dont use the term "high horse" .. Makes us look bad..LOL...

But true.. You guys from decatur need to make sure you lose a couple of students and make the playoffs so we can get our revenge... ALright?

Stownhorse
09-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by football4life
haven't played fritch yet, yes they are weak, but that makes your point irrelevant. idalou was a scrimmage, again, irrelevant, and i won't attempt to defend caprock, they are a very bad 4A. schedule strength doesn't always mean a whole lot. we haven't had the greatest strength of schedule over the past few years, but i think we could ask the likes of A. Wylie whether or not our teams have been legit.

We will see Legit fri. night

Underwater Basketweaver
09-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by sWaterislife
In the future.. Sweetwater07 please dont use the term "high horse" .. Makes us look bad..LOL...

But true.. You guys from decatur need to make sure you lose a couple of students and make the playoffs so we can get our revenge... ALright?

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm glad ya'll are D2 and we are D1. Never like to see those upset teams again in the first round of the playoffs, i.e.-Abilene Wylie year before last.

footballgal
09-20-2006, 01:47 PM
nm

football4life
09-20-2006, 02:54 PM
We will see Legit fri. night

ok buddy. so are you on the team or just a fan?

mudcat
09-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Sweetwater 6 @ Canyon 14

Stownhorse
09-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by football4life
ok buddy. so are you on the team or just a fan?

Rather not say....my boys will be ready

its_n_D_water
09-20-2006, 05:35 PM
okay....anywayz welcome to the downlow!

Well thanks for the welcome Stownhorse..but its not my first time to this party......I posted alittle last football season..just forgot my password

Tres Lobos
09-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I think this game will be a very good one and will come down to the wire but i think that canyon will come on top

Stownhorse
09-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Anybody getting anxious for this game to get here?!?!

Sweetwater96
09-21-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm excited, I hope it is a good game. I'm going with my family.

44INAROW
09-21-2006, 11:23 AM
38 to 37 - close one

sww-bull52
09-21-2006, 11:24 AM

ME ME ME!!!!!

VolcoM187
09-21-2006, 11:59 AM

Yea especially cuz im not you... having to ride with a HUGE guy in a PACKED car... lol:D

sweetwater07
09-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by VolcoM187
Yea especially cuz im not you... having to ride with a HUGE guy in a PACKED car... lol:D

lol its is going to be cramped...glad i reserved our seat with the other car....:D

VolcoM187
09-21-2006, 02:31 PM
lol its is going to be cramped...glad i reserved our seat with the other car....:D

I know aren't we the smart cookies

football4life
09-22-2006, 02:03 PM
gameday, good luck to everyone, travel safe.

STANG RED
09-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Anyone notice that the poll is 42 to 42?
LOL, that could easily be the score at the end of regulation. Is this an omen?:D

DaHop72
09-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Anyone notice that the poll is 42 to 42?
LOL, that could easily be the score at the end of regulation. Is this an omen?:D I bet there are a lot of footballs in the air on one side of the ball.:D :D

STANG RED
09-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I bet there are a lot of footballs in the air on one side of the ball.:D :D

It's not so much the balls in the air that concern me, as much as the balls on the ground do. If we can manage to have no turn overs, and maybe get a couple from them, I really like our chances. We just cant afford to give another great offence a short feild, time and time again, like last week.

I Bleed Red08
09-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Sweetwater wins it 34-14 in a great defensive game by the Mustangs. Good Job Stangs!!!!!!!

gobbler grad
09-23-2006, 12:18 AM
good job Sweetwater...congrats on the win...

I hate PURPLE... :kiss: