PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer's coach should be offensive coord

dirtydan
09-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Jeff Traylor would make somebody a good offensive coordinator since he only can think one way. his luck ran out with canton; scoring, more scoring, without even trying to stop the other side from scoring. If daingerfield had more time, the total score could have been two hundred plus. just you watch-- some rootiebutt team will go in there and make him pay for the lack of defense. At least friday nite at daingerfield he didn't do anything stupid that i could see. the defense was sucking air by the 3rd quarter, they stayed on the field much too long. the offense was awesome, most of the score (62) was in two plays, then back to defense. daingerfied held the ball a total of thirty plus minutes. i think the buckeyes luck is going to run out very soon; lots of folk are watching their weaknesses.

Stownhorse
09-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by dirtydan
Jeff Traylor would make somebody a good offensive coordinator since he only can think one way. his luck ran out with canton; scoring, more scoring, without even trying to stop the other side from scoring. If daingerfield had more time, the total score could have been two hundred plus. just you watch-- some rootiebutt team will go in there and make him pay for the lack of defense. At least friday nite at daingerfield he didn't do anything stupid that i could see. the defense was sucking air by the 3rd quarter, they stayed on the field much too long. the offense was awesome, most of the score (62) was in two plays, then back to defense. daingerfied held the ball a total of thirty plus minutes. i think the buckeyes luck is going to run out very soon; lots of folk are watching their weaknesses.

i'd like to see gilmer do good...but it seems as though people are watching them....with a team always on top...you have everyone and their dog thinking on their weaknesses and how to beat them...

JR2004
09-17-2006, 08:00 PM
I've enjoyed watching Gilmer's offense in person a couple of times and have wished several times that Madison could get their hands on one of Gilmer's offensive assistants. However they just don't seem to believe in playing any defense and that's one thing I really don't like about a lot of teams running the spread. That defense darn near cost them a state title against Jasper and it could be their undoing this year. Eventually there is going to be a team that's going to be able to get a few stops and if their defense can't do any better than last week there won't be another state title this year out there in Gilmer.

Haunta Yo
09-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Gilmer's offense is going to allow opponents 15-16 possessions a game. When that happens, defensive stats can get as ridiculous as offensive stats.

kaorder1999
09-17-2006, 08:45 PM
good point

pirate4state
09-17-2006, 08:47 PM
how many dropped passes?? :rolleyes:

wrong thread....:p

gtownpoke
09-17-2006, 08:51 PM
hey the man won a state championship and has an incredible winning percentage. I think he knows what he's doing. If you have a complaint with the way he's doing it why dont you go talk to him about it instead of attacking his coaching online.
Just for the sake that I am bored though I will put up a rebuttal to your argument. Yes the defense was sloppy against Daingerfield. They just came off two back to back huge games in one where they were representing the state of Texas and another where they were proving who's the best. Gilmer-Daingerfield has turned into a bit of a rivalry and the tigers arent just going to lay down. Justin Johnson didnt play anyways. The Buckeyes will be just fine.

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Everyone acts like Gilmer does not play defense, or has not over the last few years

In 2004 when they won the title they gave up 203 yds a game, and about 11 points per game...Yes JAsper scored in bunches in the second half, but alot of that was Gilmer having a ton or turnovers that Jasper turned into points.

They have a defense this year that is not as talented, but it is not coaching. Until this last game, they had looked pretty solid on D. Holding a powerful Tatum O to 21 and what they did to the Las Vegas team.

The analogy of their offense scoring quick thus giving the other team alot of possesions is dead on as well. More chances and the other team will put points up.

One thing NO ONE talks about when it comes to the 83 D-Field Tigers and their AMAZING defense, was the offense could get on the field and hold the ball for 7-8 mins. Thus their stud D was on the field less.

Haunta Yo
09-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
One thing NO ONE talks about when it comes to the 83 D-Field Tigers and their AMAZING defense, was the offense could get on the field and hold the ball for 7-8 mins. Thus their stud D was on the field less.

'83 Daingerfield Power I football = lots of 6 to 8 possession games. Don't know if anyone would have scored on them if they played more 12 possession games or not, but 8 possession games helped make that National Record Defense legendary...

thatboiwes
09-18-2006, 02:04 AM
As stated before, people are forgetting that in 2004, Gilmer had the best defense in 3A when it came to points against per game. That defense had 2 bad games that year, when they gave up 35 to Tatum and when they gave up 47 to Jasper. So it's not like Gilmer doesn't know defense or anything. They just simply don't have the defensive playmakers that they did.

And it wasn't the defense that nearly cost Gilmer the game against Jasper. It was 3 interceptions in the 2nd half that Jasper turned into touchdowns. Also, Jasper had a chance to tie the game at 49, but the DEFENSE stopped them on the 2-point conversion to win the game.

Buckeye80
09-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Gilmer's defense will have enough stops against the majority of opponents to allow the offense to win the game. We may not have as many impressive wins (56-7) and such this year, but the "shock and awe" offense the Buckeyes employ will be enough to carry them through alot of competition.

dirtydan
09-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Gilmer's defense will have enough stops against the majority of opponents to allow the offense to win the game. We may not have as many impressive wins (56-7) and such this year, but the "shock and awe" offense the Buckeyes employ will be enough to carry them through alot of competition.

I AGREE WITH SOME OF WHAT YOU SAY THAT THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME THE OFFENSE WILL DO ENOUGH TO OVERCOME THE DEFENSIVE SHORTCOMING. REMEMBER THE OFFENSE ONLY HAVE TO BE STOPPED ONCE TO CHANGE THE TEMPO OF THE GAME
(THUS CANTON LAST YEAR) AND NO STATE TITLE.

dirtydan
09-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I've enjoyed watching Gilmer's offense in person a couple of times and have wished several times that Madison could get their hands on one of Gilmer's offensive assistants. However they just don't seem to believe in playing any defense and that's one thing I really don't like about a lot of teams running the spread. That defense darn near cost them a state title against Jasper and it could be their undoing this year. Eventually there is going to be a team that's going to be able to get a few stops and if their defense can't do any better than last week there won't be another state title this year out there in Gilmer.

IF YOU REMEMBER THIS WAS THE STRATEGY OF THE INDIANAPOLIS COLTS A FEW YEARS AGO; SCORING ALOTS AND GIVING UP ALOTS OF POINTS. IT BACKFIRED IN THE LAST 4 PLAYOFFS FOR THEM. THUS YOU SEE NOW THEY HAVE A NUMBER ONE DEFENSE TO COMPLEMENT THE HIGH SCORING OFFENSE. GILMER'S DEFENSIVE PLAYERS ARE VERY GOOD. THE COACHES NEED TO GET RID OF THE 3 DOWN LINEMEN EXCEPT ON PASS PLAYS. THEY NEED TO RUSH THE QB SOMETIME TO GET HIM OUT OF HIS RYTHEM; THEY STAND IN ONE PLACE AND WAIT FOR THE RUNNER TO COME TO THEM, THUS A 5 TO 9 YD GAIN AT LEAST. THE SAFETYS NEED TO LOOK BACK SOMETIME OTHERWISE THE BALL WILL CONTINUE HITTING THEM IN THE BACK.

dirtydan
09-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
hey the man won a state championship and has an incredible winning percentage. I think he knows what he's doing. If you have a complaint with the way he's doing it why dont you go talk to him about it instead of attacking his coaching online.
Just for the sake that I am bored though I will put up a rebuttal to your argument. Yes the defense was sloppy against Daingerfield. They just came off two back to back huge games in one where they were representing the state of Texas and another where they were proving who's the best. Gilmer-Daingerfield has turned into a bit of a rivalry and the tigers arent just going to lay down. Justin Johnson didnt play anyways. The Buckeyes will be just fine.

YEAH YOU ARE RIGHT HE DID WIN A STATE TITLE; BUT JUST BARELY, A FEW MORE SECONDS AND WE WOULD HAVE LEFT WITH LONG FACES. EVERYTIME YOU THINK ABOUT HIS LUCK, ALSO THINK ABOUT THE INDIANAPOLIS COLTS, EXACTLY THE SAME SCENARIO. I, NOR ANYONE ELSE SHOULD HAVE TO TELL THE COACH ABOUT HIS SHORTCOMINGS HE MAKES TOO MUCH MONEY FOR THAT. HE IS WHO HE IS, AND HE WONT CHANGE. ALSO THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WATCHING AND FILMING THAT CAN SEE WAY MORE THAN I CAN SEE. I TOO, HOPE THAT WE WILL BE JUST FINE.

JasperDog94
09-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by thatboiwes
Also, Jasper had a chance to tie the game at 49, but the DEFENSE stopped them on the 2-point conversion to win the game. That and an officials huddle...:(

JR2004
09-21-2006, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
That and an officials huddle...:(

I was at that game sitting near the end zone where Jasper went for 2. I didn't agree one bit with that call, but those are the breaks sometimes I guess. I wasn't really going for either team, but I sure wouldn't have minded if Jasper had won so my old college coach, Coach Sarge, could've gotten himself a 2nd state title as an assistant to go with the one he got back coaching in his hometown of Waxahachie. That sure was an entertaining game.

JasperDog94
09-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
I was at that game sitting near the end zone where Jasper went for 2. I didn't agree one bit with that call, but those are the breaks sometimes I guess. I wasn't really going for either team, but I sure wouldn't have minded if Jasper had won so my old college coach, Coach Sarge, could've gotten himself a 2nd state title as an assistant to go with the one he got back coaching in his hometown of Waxahachie. That sure was an entertaining game. You're correct. Those are the breaks. But it sure was an exciting game.