PDA

View Full Version : need brisket help

pirate44
09-17-2006, 07:23 PM
im planning my son's 2nd birthday party being held october 7th. ive been calling for caterers., but they all seem more expensive than i want to spend for a family get-together of about 35-40 people. so im thinking of cooking a few briskets instead. onl;y problem is i only have the experience of cooking one brisket several years ago (it turned out ok, i guess).

i want everyones recipes for pit smoking, or oven cooking briskit. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bandera YaYa
09-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Make it easy on yourself!! Go the HEB and get a couple of their already cooked briskets....can't go wrong with that!!! Heck you can throw them on the grill after they come outta the oven, people will think you have been slaving all day! :D

Ranger Mom
09-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Make it easy on yourself!! Go the HEB and get a couple of their already cooked briskets....can't go wrong with that!!! Heck you can throw them on the grill after they come outta the oven, people will think you have been slaving all day! :D

Good idea.....if we don't cook ours ourself (with our own spices), we buy the ones that are uncooked but are already marinating in the spices when we buy them, they are still pretty darn good!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-17-2006, 07:28 PM
You should PM rockdale80, he is the brisket master.

pirate44
09-17-2006, 07:29 PM

you know what, im really leaning toward that route. those are really good. my thinking was i can either pay $30 for one (ill prob need several, but not totallyy sure) or say, $15-20 for an uncooked. it might be worth the money though. Bill Millers wanted about $180 but that comes with everything. hopefully i can get it under that price by doing it myself

pirate4state
09-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Hot dogs & nachos are way cheaper! ;) :D

Bandera YaYa
09-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
you know what, im really leaning toward that route. those are really good. my thinking was i can either pay $30 for one (ill prob need several, but not totallyy sure) or say, $15-20 for an uncooked. it might be worth the money though. Bill Millers wanted about $180 but that comes with everything. hopefully i can get it under that price by doing it myself Listen to experience here...when it comes to a child's party, take any shortcut you can.....you'll have plenty of stress during the party, keeping up with all those kids, so make everything else as easy as possible!!

pirate44
09-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Listen to experience here...when it comes to a child's party, take any shortcut you can.....you'll have plenty of stress during the party, keeping up with all those kids, so make everything else as easy as possible!! fortunately, there will prob only be 8 kids LOL:D the first year i made hotdogs and homeade chili for his cowboy party. lsat year i bought about 12 pizzas and wings for his football themed party. thought brisket would be cool this time. Beckye likes the precooked brisket idea too.

turbostud
09-17-2006, 07:47 PM
im planning my son's 2nd birthday party being held october 7th. ive been calling for caterers., but they all seem more expensive than i want to spend for a family get-together of about 35-40 people. so im thinking of cooking a few briskets instead. onl;y problem is i only have the experience of cooking one brisket several years ago (it turned out ok, i guess).

i want everyones recipes for pit smoking, or oven cooking briskit. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Try Luby's in Corpus. They have Brisket packages.

pirate44
09-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Try Luby's in Corpus. They have Brisket packages.
interesting. i would have never guessed :thinking:

pirate4state
09-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Have you checked with Rudy's or Fermin's???

Bandera YaYa
09-17-2006, 07:51 PM
fortunately, there will prob only be 8 kids LOL:D the first year i made hotdogs and homeade chili for his cowboy party. lsat year i bought about 12 pizzas and wings for his football themed party. thought brisket would be cool this time. Beckye likes the precooked brisket idea too. It's all I cook now.....so fast and easy and so tender .....good for taking some of it and chopping it up for sandwiches, which kids like too. Don't know if you are having a cake for the kiddos, but a fun idea is to get ice cream cones and fill them with cake batter and cook like cupcakes, then decorate ...looks like ice cream cones! Kids love them! and 8 2-3 yrs olds is ALOT!!!! :D

pirate44
09-17-2006, 07:53 PM
It's all I cook now.....so fast and easy and so tender .....good for taking some of it and chopping it up for sandwiches, which kids like too. Don't know if you are having a cake for the kiddos, but a fun idea is to get ice cream cones and fill them with cake batter and cook like cupcakes, then decorate ...looks like ice cream cones! Kids love them! and 8 2-3 yrs olds is ALOT!!!! :D
that sounds fun.

i have a question about those precooked. how many people does one serve?

Bandera YaYa
Originally posted by pirate4state
Have you checked with Rudy's or Fermin's??? OMG Rudy's is AWESOME!!!! I really crave that place sometimes!!!

espn1
Quick and easy way to cook a Good Brisket. This will make you throw rocks at any store bought brand.

1. Get a 8lb brisket (approx.)(smaller Briskets are more tender because they're from younger stock. Make sure the Brisket will bend from end to end.)

2. Let your wood burn down to grey ash.(maintain a 225-250F temp.)

3. Let your meet reach room temp.

4. Rub mustard all over the outside of your brisket. (this sounds gross, but it's absolutley necessary)

5. Shake season salt & pepper all over the brisket.(go crazy)

6. Place in dispsable Turkey pan and let cook for about 45 min a LB. (don't worry about the pan filling up with juice.

7.Lift the brisket straight up about every 2 hrs. This is so a hot spot wont develop at the bottom of the pan.

8. After the brisket has cooked for 45min. a LB. Remove from the pan, rap it in foil and place in a ice chest for one hour. This helps the brisket to recapture it's juices. (i assume you know not to put ice in the ice chest.)

Sorry! The sauce recipe is too lengthy and also top secret.

I'll give you one hint. Whatever sauce you use. Make sure you pour some of the meet juice into it. Also look on the internet to make sure you are cutting the meat correctly. Because that makes all of the difference in the world.

pirate44
09-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Have you checked with Rudy's or Fermin's???
we jsut started looking this evening, so its kind of slim pickins. im sure beckye will try the local places tomorrow. i really wish Mr Raska still had his brisket place. he made the best and could get one at the last minute.

pirate4state
09-17-2006, 07:54 PM
OMG Rudy's is AWESOME!!!! I really crave that place sometimes!!! LOL!! Not THAT Rudy's. :D There is a local BBQ place in Sinton. :D

espn1
09-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Next week I'll teach you How to cook a whole hog with it's stomach cavity filled with roasted veggies.:D :D :D

pirate44
09-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Quick and easy way to cook a Good Brisket. This will make you throw rocks at any store bought brand.

1. Get a 8lb brisket (approx.)(smaller Briskets are more tender because they're from younger stock. Make sure the Brisket will bend from end to end.)

2. Let your wood burn down to grey ash.(maintain a 225-250F temp.)

3. Let your meet reach room temp.

4. Rub mustard all over the outside of your brisket. (this sounds gross, but it's absolutley necessary)

5. Shake season salt & pepper all over the brisket.(go crazy)

6. Place in dispsable Turkey pan and let cook for about 45 min a LB. (don't worry about the pan filling up with juice.

7.Lift the brisket straight up about every 2 hrs. This is so a hot spot wont develop at the bottom of the pan.

8. After the brisket has cooked for 45min. a LB. Remove from the pan, rap it in foil and place in a ice chest for one hour. This helps the brisket to recapture it's juices. (i assume you know not to put ice in the ice chest.)

Sorry! The sauce recipe is too lengthy and also top secret.

I'll give you one hint. Whatever sauce you use. Make sure you pour some of the meet juice into it. Also look on the internet to make sure you are cutting the meat correctly. Because that makes all of the difference in the world.

wow, thanks a ton. that sounds great

sinton66
09-17-2006, 08:01 PM
P44, on the servings, you have to figure about 1/4 pound per person average (cooked weight) if you serve all the trimmings (potato salad, onions, pickles, beans, bread etc.) too. If you don't do potato salad, increase to 1/3 per person.

crabman
09-17-2006, 08:09 PM
The HEB briskets come sliced and unsliced. The sliced is the way to go. It will go a lot further if you buy it already sliced.

espn1
09-17-2006, 08:14 PM
wow, thanks a ton. that sounds great Just in case you wondered about the mustard. It's for two reasons.
It does a great job holding on the rub and the vinegar is acidic and tenderizes the beef.

Bandera YaYa
09-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by crabman
The HEB briskets come sliced and unsliced. The sliced is the way to go. It will go a lot further if you buy it already sliced. I got one once, that was sliced WAY too thin,..so I slice myself. They really are good eating and easy! I would love to know how to do one myself, but I just don't have the patience or the desire to stand over hot coals all day.....I give kudos to those that can, tho! :clap: :clap:

sinton66
09-17-2006, 08:18 PM
P44, Pm box is full.

Bandera YaYa
09-17-2006, 08:18 PM
LOL!! Not THAT Rudy's. :D There is a local BBQ place in Sinton. :D Oh no!! Oh well, thanks for the thought anyways!!! Yummmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! :o :D

zeke
09-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Oven Cooked Brisket
8-10 lb. brisket.
Heavily sprinkle cajun seasoning plus black pepper.
Get a a large turkey oven cooking bag, throw a tablespoon of flour on the bottom of bag, and insert brisket. Place in a cooking pan. Pour about 6 oz. of a bottle of Stubbs steak marinade over the top of brisket. Also sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke over the top, also pour in about half a can of coke. Apply the tie. remember to cut a few vents on top. Cook 8 hours at 250 degrees. Mighty good eatin.

rockdale80
01-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You should PM rockdale80, he is the brisket master.

Exactly.....and unless you try it you wouldnt know. So check your tone...

Gp83
01-27-2007, 10:10 PM
The best brisket is;

Cook brisket on open fire for 2 hours.

Pull brisket and wrap it in foil.

Put in oven for about 4 hours at 300*

You'll have the best darn brisket EVER that just melts in your mouth

Gp83
01-27-2007, 10:11 PM
If you like leather:doh:

luvhoops34
01-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Instead of potato salad we always have new potatoes. You can buy them in big cans really cheap. Use all the liquid in the cans to cook them and get them hot. Then drain off most of the liquid and add lots of butter, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley. Ummm, ummm good. A friend of mind caters and he also adds velveeta cheese to the potatoes. :D

44INAROW
01-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I like my brisket baked in the oven - (I use salt, garlic salt, course black pepper and a little bit of Liquid Smoke for seasoning) put the Brisket in a roasting pan and put a little bit of water in the bottom. Bake the Brisket for 20 minutes @ 350 degrees. Take the Brisket out of the oven and then cover with heavy duty foil and turn the oven down to 200 and bake all day long. Keep checking on it as they vary from size and oven. I like to bake it over night - but the aroma wakes me up all night long. Good Luck and Happy birthday to your son..:)

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Call Herberts, in Bleiblerville Texas get him to send you Brisket, best BBQ in the Land!:flaming:

BuffyMars
01-28-2007, 12:38 AM
OMG Rudy's is AWESOME!!!! I really crave that place sometimes!!!

Oh Rudy's!!! You people are so badddddd!!! Talking about Brisket!!! It should be a mortal sin if there isn't one sitting right in your face!

OMGOODNESS.......I WANT BBQ NOW!

EVIL, EVIL, EVIL PEOPLE! :tongue:

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-28-2007, 01:02 AM
BEVO Brisket!!