PDA

View Full Version : graham 28 @ VERNON 6 F

fury900
10-24-2003, 10:00 PM
Graham 28 @ VERNON 6 F frown

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Graham soundly defeated Vernon tonight. The Steers have a very good team with a stiff defense. Vernon's offense never got going due to the fact that the Steers never allowed them to. Vernon held Graham in the first half save a 50 yard dive play that went for a TD. Graham gives up a fumble and Vernon scores a TD. After the half Graham controlled the ball with dive play after dive play. They had good blocking all night. This Graham team will win some post season games this year.

GWOOD
10-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Graham seems to be on a roll, scoring big points while limiting their opponent to one score in each of the last three games.

Vernon vs. Iowa Park next week. Big Game.

eye of the tiger
10-24-2003, 10:49 PM
Steers are rolling. Nice win over Vernon.

VWG
10-25-2003, 10:49 AM
That game would have been a shutout except the Steers fumbled an option pitch deep in their own territory, which led to a Vernon scoring drive of about 25 total yards. Defense is playing really well. Last few games they have only allowed WF Hirschi 14 or 17 points, Childress 7, Bowie 6, and Vernon 6.
This game seemed to be a close one going into half with Graham only up 7-6, but the Steers offense cranked up the veer and ate up yards and the clock. Vernon should have passed more, as their big tight end was open every play over the middle.
Questionable play calling by the Vernon OC. 4th & 5 and going for it when you're still within striking distance?
Graham and Abilene Wylie again in Round I of DI playoffs.
Graham should win district for the 5th straight year, but it won't mean squat unless they do something in the playoffs.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-25-2003, 11:09 PM
I agree about Vernon's play calling. Graham had seven guys on the line with 1 backer and 1 safety that played shallow. We had single coverage on the split end all night and after not getting any yards up the middle or on the sweep, I would have thrown the ball. That is the first time all year that I have to report a negavtive on the play calling. Graham had a great defense. I'm not sure what adjustments they made at half on offense but the dive play wasn't working too well in the first half then in the second it worked all the way down the field. Good coaching. I thought that this game would have been closer but Vernon has some work to do and probably matches up better this week against Iowa Park.

<small>[ October 25, 2003, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

VWG
10-26-2003, 06:28 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
I agree about Vernon's play calling. Graham had seven guys on the line with 1 backer and 1 safety that played shallow. We had single coverage on the split end all night and after not getting any yards up the middle or on the sweep, I would have thrown the ball. That is the first time all year that I have to report a negavtive on the play calling. Graham had a great defense. I'm not sure what adjustments they made at half on offense but the dive play wasn't working too well in the first half then in the second it worked all the way down the field. Good coaching. I thought that this game would have been closer but Vernon has some work to do and probably matches up better this week against Iowa Park.Forgot to mention. Your kid is a heck of a good player. Nice stick in the 1st qtr. on the slant pattern. Had a tough night returning punts, as the Steers were all over him most of the night.
Yea, Coach Hall should have "let the air out" a little more, but hindsight is 20/20. I really think the Lions will win at IP by at least 14. I think the Lions have the talent, they just ran into a good defensive team in Graham.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-27-2003, 10:20 AM
Thanks VWG, my boy was sure sore Saturday morning! I think this is one of the better Graham teams that I have seen in the past couple of years. The defense really played well. They have good size and they are quick to the ball. I thought that Andrews was going to be the star of the defense and if Vernon could get him blocked then they could take advantage with their speed. The thing is that the D-line played so well and the other linebackers including #42 and #35 that #88 could have not even been in there and Vernon still wouldn't have been able to move the ball. So what I’m trying to get out is that the defense played well as a team. The only thing that I saw that Graham needs improvement on is the passing game. Of course when your running game chews up 5-6 yards a carry you don't really need to pass so for what it is worth.

I knew this would be a benchmark game for Vernon and it put things in perspective. Vernon has a good team but they still need to improve in the next two games before meeting either Ballinger or Brady as it looks like. I'm not sure which team would be a better draw? I'm thinking that Graham is a lot better team now than when they played Wylie and Sweetwater and Wylie will have it coming. By the way what happened against Sweetwater?

heck
10-27-2003, 12:29 PM
Regarding the Sweetwater Graham game, Z-Motion, I think the big difference was that Sweetwater stuffed the run all night long. A veer team like Graham lives and dies by the quick block that gets the H-back into the secodary where they can do some damage. That didn't happen in Swater.

BTW, that was the last full game where Sweetwater had 100% of there team playing. Injuries have hit the Mustangs hard this year.

<small>[ October 27, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Did Sweetwater pass the ball a lot? Graham's defense was just so tuff up front.

CatWoman
10-27-2003, 02:14 PM
VWG:
That game would have been a shutout except the Steers fumbled an option pitch deep in their own territory, which led to a Vernon scoring drive of about 25 total yards. Defense is playing really well. Last few games they have only allowed WF Hirschi 14 or 17 points, Childress 7, Bowie 6, and Vernon 6.
This game seemed to be a close one going into half with Graham only up 7-6, but the Steers offense cranked up the veer and ate up yards and the clock. Vernon should have passed more, as their big tight end was open every play over the middle.
Questionable play calling by the Vernon OC. 4th & 5 and going for it when you're still within striking distance?
Graham and Abilene Wylie again in Round I of DI playoffs.
Graham should win district for the 5th straight year, but it won't mean squat unless they do something in the playoffs.Grahamn might not face Abilene Wyle. Our district is still up in the air and Wylie has to get past Brady and Ballinger.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-27-2003, 02:22 PM
After thinking about it a Vernon-Ballinger rematch would be a good one. If Vernon losses against IP this Friday and wins against Childress that would happen. Since they played in Sweetwater last year would they do it again or flip home for home?

I hope Vernon beats IP and Childress and draws the second seed in DII from district 6. After watching Vernon's O go backwards last week against Graham, I'm not sure that Vernon is ready for a Ballinger just yet although it would be neat for the two teams to meet again in the playoffs.

<small>[ October 27, 2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

Curly
10-27-2003, 02:27 PM
Sweetwater vs. Graham
Sweetwater held Graham to 98 total yards of offense(35y rushing) (63yds passing)

Sweetwater had 312 total yards of offense (215 yds rushing) and (97 yds passing)
the Mustangs were 7-13-0 passing
Sweetwater had 19 first downs compared to Grahams' 10

Final Score was Sweetwater 28 Graham 7.

CatWoman
10-27-2003, 02:32 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
After thinking about it a Vernon-Ballinger rematch would be a good one. If Vernon losses against IP this Friday and wins against Childress that would happen. Since they played in Sweetwater last year would they do it again or flip home for home?

I hope Vernon beats IP and Childress and draws the second seed in DII from district 6. After watching Vernon's O go backwards last week against Graham, I'm not sure that Vernon is ready for a Ballinger just yet although it would be neat for the two teams to meet again in the playoffs.District 5 scares me period. My cats have been inconsistent this year. Every game has been a nail biter. We just haven't put anybody away. I hope we "peak" at the right time!

vet93
10-27-2003, 02:43 PM
As a Ballinger fan...I would rather play IP over Vernon. Nothing against IP. It is just tough to beat a quality like Vernon twice. Ballinger has been playing just good enough to win and this will eventually catch up to you when you play good teams. I really hope that they can begin to turn it up a notch or two as the last few district games approach and the playoffs start. Brady has really been playing well as the year progresses. I think that they would be a pretty tough draw in the playoffs. They have a running back that has been averaging about 140 yards per game in district. They have a very quick, swarming defense. Vernon/Brady could be a really good game. If they played at Shotwell...that might be one I would like to see. I think that it would be neat if they played all of the 5-3a/6-3a games in a triple header at shotwell stadium. A whole day of nothing but good football!!!

Z motion 10 out on 2:

I hope Vernon beats IP and Childress and draws the second seed in DII from district 6. After watching Vernon's O go backwards last week against Graham, I'm not sure that Vernon is ready for a Ballinger just yet although it would be neat for the two teams to meet again in the playoffs.

CatWoman
10-27-2003, 02:46 PM
vet93:
As a Ballinger fan...I would rather play IP over Vernon. Nothing against IP. It is just tough to beat a quality like Vernon twice. Ballinger has been playing just good enough to win and this will eventually catch up to you when you play good teams. I really hope that they can begin to turn it up a notch or two as the last few district games approach and the playoffs start. Brady has really been playing well as the year progresses. I think that they would be a pretty tough draw in the playoffs. They have a running back that has been averaging about 140 yards per game in district. They have a very quick, swarming defense. Vernon/Brady could be a really good game. If they played at Shotwell...that might be one I would like to see. I think that it would be neat if they played all of the 5-3a/6-3a games in a triple header at shotwell stadium. A whole day of nothing but good football!!!

Z motion 10 out on 2:

I hope Vernon beats IP and Childress and draws the second seed in DII from district 6. After watching Vernon's O go backwards last week against Graham, I'm not sure that Vernon is ready for a Ballinger just yet although it would be neat for the two teams to meet again in the playoffs.Boy that would be fun.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-27-2003, 02:52 PM
After looking at the Sweetwater-Graham stats that Curley provided, I'm glad they Swater-Vernon game was called before Sweetwater had a chance to get the ball!

A Saturday Triple header between district 5 & 6 would be awesome! That sounds too good to be true!

heck
10-27-2003, 02:58 PM
Z,
The only Graham touch was on a pass play we all thought Swater had intercepted. I won't call it a fluke but Swaters cornerback had the ball bounce off his hands just a little and the Graham receiver came over and took it. Great play both ways.
Wow, I had forgotten how lopsided that game was. I am sure Graham is much better now, but believe it or not, Swater's D is much better too.

VWG
10-28-2003, 09:34 AM
A Shotwell triple-header would be nice, but I would hate to be the last game in that one. Just think. You might not be headed home until after midnight!
I really don't see how Brady can defeat Wylie... are the Wylie Bulldogs in that much of a tailspin?
Very, very hard to imagine Wylie not in the playoffs.
On the Graham-Sweetwater issue, Graham was totally dominated by Sweetwater. Has Graham improved, sure, but in any game if they shut down the split veer then Graham has no passing attack.
Earlier in the year Graham had also turned the ball over several times, and the offensive line has come around as well with picking up stunts, blitzes, etc..

vet93
10-28-2003, 09:42 AM
VWG...I think that it could work if you started with a 10 am game, then a 2 pm game, then a 6 pm game. Regarding Brady...they have come on a ton since the beginning of the year. They are better than a lot of people think. I still think that Wylie will win this game. Wylie has much more motivation to win and has been improving each week, but don't count out Brady.

VWG:
A Shotwell triple-header would be nice, but I would hate to be the last game in that one. Just think. You might not be headed home until after midnight!
I really don't see how Brady can defeat Wylie... are the Wylie Bulldogs in that much of a tailspin?
Very, very hard to imagine Wylie not in the playoffs.
On the Graham-Sweetwater issue, Graham was totally dominated by Sweetwater. Has Graham improved, sure, but in any game if they shut down the split veer then Graham has no passing attack.
Earlier in the year Graham had also turned the ball over several times, and the offensive line has come around as well with picking up stunts, blitzes, etc..

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-28-2003, 11:57 AM
I heard that it is very hard to get Shotwell because of all the larger schools that want it. Also if Brady plays Vernon they may play in Graham or Brownwood or something like that. But Vernon needs one more win to get in and they have two tough games remaining.