PDA

View Full Version : Vernon #1 in region 1???

Adidas410s
10-28-2001, 02:41 PM
Just wanted to get your thoughts Bearcat, and anybody else's, as to why they jumped over Wylie and Ballinger into the #1 slot after this Friday.

coolguycody_c
10-28-2001, 02:57 PM
sometimes the teams that aren't talked about frequently are the best ones because they don't let the praises go to their heads.

bearcat1
10-28-2001, 06:02 PM
Well, I'll tell you. I was updating the top 10, and I began to think about Vernon. And Wylie. And Lake Worth. And Ballinger. And the others. And here's what I kept coming back to...Wylie has not been as impressive as I thought they'd be, they're getting wins but not dominating, and haven't all season. Ever since the Aledo game, Lake Worth has had consecutive games in which they were challenged and challenged hard by teams that shouldn't of challenged them. A lot of emphasis was placed on beating Aledo, and a lot of times a team will get that one win they're craving, and then let up. I'm not saying that's what LW is doing, but it happens. They are not nearly as dominant the last 3 weeks as they were the first 5. Ballinger, they beat Breckenridge, some 2A teams, Merkel, and then Sweetwater. The Sweetwater win was unexpected, but one unexpected win doesn't mean you are suddenly the best. It could mean a lot of things...including the fact that maybe that team they beat was overrated to being with. Then I look at Vernon. They have consistently pounded opponents except for one. That being a ranked 4A Oklahoma team that they only lost to by 7 I believe. They have been strong, consistent, and dominant. So why not? What makes one team better than the other? Their strength of schedule? Who they've beaten and by how much? Or just the fact that they're unbeaten, despite who they've played or how they played the game? Beating a team that should of beaten you...does that make you the #1 team? I don't think so. I think you look at who they've played, HOW they played those games, did they play tough, or did they squeak out the win, and their level of consistency. Top teams are consistent. I looked at all the teams in the top 10, and not much separates them to be honest. In other regions, Greenwood and Muleshoe would be out of the top10 by now, but who do you replace them with in Region I? Denver City? Shallowater? I hate to tell you this folks, but our top10 teams in region I are all pretty evenly matched-- and any of the top 5 or 6 could claim themselves deserving of that number one spot. So I said, ok. Let's look at these teams for what they've done, and in head to head matchups, how would I pick em. And at this point, I personally believe that Vernon has as much chance of beating out the other 9 as any other team there. I don't normally just scrap a top 10 and redo it, but I did this week. Why? Who knows. When I went to update it, I thought, man, these teams are all so closely, evenly matched. Numbers 6-10 are tough teams. But hey, so are numbers 1-5. And I guarantee, you can not sit there and look at the 10 teams and declare beyond a doubt that any of them stands out as the force of region 1. THE team to beat. Could you? If so, then send your resume to Matt and take over Region 1, because you're a better person than I am. The way I see it, any of these could challenge for regional champ in their respective divisions. If I had to pick ONE now, that is the team to beat, that stands out in Region 1, it'd be Wylie... the problem with that is...I think Vernon can beat them. For me it boiled down to dominance and consistency, and that road led to Vernon. At least, for me. And for this week. I'm sorry for the length of this, and I hope I've cleared up through all my rambling my reasons behind Vernon's rise. But don't worry, with me--- things never stay the same for very long anyway.
bc

Originally posted by Adidas410s:
Just wanted to get your thoughts Bearcat, and anybody else's, as to why they jumped over Wylie and Ballinger into the #1 slot after this Friday.

[This message has been edited by bearcat1 (edited October 29, 2001).]

whsfan
10-28-2001, 07:35 PM
Bearcat are you okay?

You picked a good top 10. Personally, I would re-arrange the order. But nothing wrong with your ranking.

Adidas410s
10-28-2001, 08:00 PM
Bearcat - that is exactly the answer that I was looking for. What threw me off and made me ask was not because Vernon was #1, but because a lot of schools had been moved around and the only two teams that I knew of in the top 10 that lost on Friday were Sweetwater and Greenwood. I agree totally that this region is totally up in the air right now. In Div 1 right now, you can look at Wylie, Vernon, Lamesa, Alvarado, and maybe even Aledo. In Div 2, there is Ballinger, Graham, Lake Worth, Sweetwater, Midland Greenwood, and probably 1 or 2 others that I am forgetting. I dont know if I could declare a favorite in Div 1 right now, but in Div 2 I would have to go w/ either Graham or Lake Worth. I saw both when they played Breckenridge and they looked solid all around. I wasnt amazed w/ Lake Worth's defense though. It just seemed like teams were scared of their defense and felt that if they could get a first down or a field goal then they were accomplishing something great. It looks like Glen Rose and Springtown did the opposite. When I saw Springtown play Breck, they werent able to get out of their own way half of the time. The other half of the time though Breck didnt get IN their way so they were able to score a good amount of points.

Da Mules
10-28-2001, 08:50 PM
I like Bearcat's ranking..I haven't seen all of these 10 teams play this year, either. Vernon has a lot of tradition, and like ole Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi or some such said, a lot of the sport of football is that 6-inch space between your ears! In other words, maybe Vernon could beat Wylie this year just because they are "conditioned" by past success and a state title to think they can! and as previously said, maybe LW's defense isn't all that amazing....but if LW thinks it is, it's gonna be better than it should! I personally believe that last year's Muleshoe team lost at least 21 points playing Forney just because of the road trip, playing in Texas Stadium (most of those kids had never even been in Dallas, let alone The Stadium) and playing on Astro-turf for the first time. How I wish we could have played at Shotwell Stadium instead....ohwell, coulda shoulda woulda.

bearcat1
10-28-2001, 10:36 PM
Sure, I'm okay, many have witnessed my manifesto length posts. I have a tendency to ramble when I am typing, and as thoughts enter my head. I am a long winded person, though coug4life over on the prep usually has me beat. Not always, but usually.
Anyway again I am sorry for the length, I just have a tendency to go on and on. Sorry!
bc

fury900
10-29-2001, 10:40 AM
They have consistently pounded opponents except for one. That being a ALTUS #3 ranked IN 5A Oklahoma team that they only lost to by 7 I believe.yes it was by 7 it was Altus 21 Vernon 14 Thank you believeing in Vernon this week bearcat1
ps
GOOd WEB PAGE

[This message has been edited by fury900 (edited October 29, 2001).]