PDA

View Full Version : East Texas teams over rated, West texas underated

Greenwoodbro
07-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Midland Greenwood is going to suprise ya'll east texas boys, just wait and see.

Greenwoodbro
07-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Ya'll dont get affended now, im just putting out the word.

Phil C
07-10-2003, 02:08 PM
Don't worry about it Green. Ratings don't mean anything. It is the playoffs that count.

mustang04
07-10-2003, 03:22 PM
yeah greenwood does have a good athletic program, they have alot of good players commin back...and and as for us in sweetwater, we are reloading and hoping to make it back far in the play-offs, nobody thinks we have a chance w/ out mychal carrillo, but our new QB, senior Reid Bishop is a very very good quarterback as well, weve played several games and hes really good, its just that mychal was such an extraordinary athlete that it makes really good athletes look 'ok', dont worry, we'll be fighting to rep west texas

purple tiger
07-10-2003, 05:56 PM
i am sure west texas will come up with a couple of great teams this year..but guys... what district do you have out there that can compare to an atlanta, daingerfield, new boston, LE, tex. pleasant grove? just getting out of bi district this year will be a blood bath in region II. and dont forget this is an odd numbered year..best i remember that has meant commerce for the last decade! i am sure greenwood and a couple of other teams might be able to play ball in region II, but for over all strength it cant be touched...especially this year.

Greenwoodbro
07-10-2003, 06:01 PM
i know greenwood can play ball in region 2 cause they beat region 2 best team dangerfield and shut them out.

wildstangs
07-10-2003, 07:05 PM
State runner up last year, with an outstanding group of seniors this year. I dont see them "surprising" anyone. Greenwood will be tough, they just better not get to cocky. Gotta make it through 4 rounds of the playoffs that could include Decatur, Sweetwater, Canyon and many other great teams before they can even think about playing an East Texas school.

BUDDY
07-10-2003, 07:54 PM
You must realize that Greenwood had a great night against Daingerfield, and beat a very good team. That can happen in the 5th round of the playoffs. Daingerfield, from what I saw was the more talented team, but they were beat by a very solid west texas TEAM. I will say that year in and year out most west texas 3a teams do not fair well once they get out of their region. I did see Daingerfield play Celina, Gilmer, and Spring Hill. I can tell you that any of those teams could have beat Greenwood. Just an old coaches opinion. One other thing.....if you are still playing for Greenwood, good luck, it does take a little of that you know!!!!!!

Ranger Mom
07-10-2003, 08:26 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again....let's worry about East Texas teams when the time comes. Play like you played last year - one game at a time and don't look ahead.

I sincerely believe looking ahead and getting a little too cocky is what allowed Crane to knock us out of the play-offs in 2001.

mustang04
07-10-2003, 09:22 PM
good point Ranger Mom!!!! :)

vet93
07-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Little Greenwoodbro...I bleed west texas redneck red...but I can't back you on this one. The history for West Texas doesn't support your statement about the halves of the state. Back in the 20's to the 60's your statement would fly but the past 20 to 30 years it has been real tough for the west texas teams to break out of their region with a win. Littlefield did it in the eighties and Vernon did it a couple of times in the late eigties or early nineties...but that is about it until the past year when the Rangers beat Daingerfield. East texas, on average, has more overall depth and talent than west texas and that probably won't change. There is too much of a population shift away from west texas to turn the tide. However...that doesn't mean that a few west texas teams can't play with the big boys. Hopefully we will see a repeat of last year when a west texas team was very competitive. Good luck to the Rangers...except in game 1...hehe wink

mustang04
07-11-2003, 12:12 PM
good point Vet... there is a bigger population in east texas, even tho in my opinion west texas boys are tougher, no offense all texans are tough, but east texas still has that lil edge on more abundance of skilled players, but we showed that wasnt everything in 1985, thats our only state championship but it was in 4a, but since then we have made several play-off appearances, but still searching for another State Ring, GOOD LUCK TO EVERY TEXAS TEAM! :)

Wtx_coach
07-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Ranger Mom:
I've said it before and I'll say it again....let's worry about East Texas teams when the time comes. Play like you played last year - one game at a time and don't look ahead.

I sincerely believe looking ahead and getting a little too cocky is what allowed Crane to knock us out of the play-offs in 2001.Rangermom, I would have to diasagree with you on that one, CRANE was by far a better team then you guys, and yes I know you guys beat Crane early in the season but Jefferies was hurt and Crane was by far the better team that year

vet93
07-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Wt_texas coach...I still think that RangerMom has a valid point on not looking ahead though. By the way...Are you still in Pecos? I went out on a limb and picked Pecos to take the third playoff spot in that district behind Greenwood and Monahans. Do you think that I was crazy to pick the eagles? I figured that all they had to do was beat Kermit and FS. They don't have an athlete that can match up with your running back...the speed burner. That is why I picked you guys. What do you think?

Ranger Mom
07-11-2003, 01:46 PM
Wtx_coach:

Ranger Mom:

I sincerely believe looking ahead and getting a little too cocky is what allowed Crane to knock us out of the play-offs in 2001.Rangermom, I would have to diasagree with you on that one, CRANE was by far a better team then you guys, and yes I know you guys beat Crane early in the season but Jefferies was hurt and Crane was by far the better team that yearI won't even try and argue that point with you, cause you are probably right. I do know that those kids went into the game underestimating Crane. Could they have won with a different attitude, I don't know. I KNOW that they could play better than they did that night!

I heard through the GGG (Greenwood Gossip Grapevine) that a Pecos player had moved to Greenwood....have you heard anything about that??

Greenwoodbro
07-11-2003, 02:20 PM
i just dont see how they got greenwood ranked seven in the dave cambels magazine and tenth in some other ratings. Greenwood will be one of the last four teams in the div 2 playoffs.

St. Ivender
07-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Greenwoodbro:
i just dont see how they got greenwood ranked seven in the dave cambels magazine and tenth in some other ratings. Greenwood will be one of the last four teams in the div 2 playoffs.I'll second that. Who in their region can beat them?

Greenwoodbro
07-11-2003, 03:22 PM
I think Decatur is going to be tough and thats about it

purple tiger
07-11-2003, 05:55 PM
that's my point guys, and rangermom(lol), greenwood probably will be in the semi's, but, that by no means makes them the fourth best team in the state.

vet93
07-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Each year is a new year and even though you can predict alot from returning starters etc...it doesn't equal sure fire success. Injuries, team chemistry, scheduling, hot streaks, key mistakes and so on can make for a bumpy road. That is why I have to laugh when people make statements saying that a team is a vitual lock for the regional championship. There are several teams in the region that could potentially get on a streak and have a phenomal season (remember Bandera). Greenwood is the prohibitive favorite but don't count out Sweetwater, Decatur, Canyon, Kennedale and Ballinger as potential teams that could sneak up on Greenwood. Who knows...some team that we are not suspecting could put together the season of a lifetime or one of the favorites could have some key injuries. It is a long time until December :D

big daddy russ
07-11-2003, 06:41 PM
I'd match up the 5A teams out in West Texas with any team across the state, especially the teams in the "Little Southwest." Overall, though, the East probably does have a lot more depth than any other area of the state.

audasmom7
07-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Well I guess I will jump into this one since my sons were and is the running back for Greenwood as far as Crane that year, Alot of egos got us beat..
And the Daingerfield game we beat them on both sides of the ball all night long they didnt know what hit them, they were completely shocked, They didnt respect us (like we didnt Crane). They did thier best fighting after the game, anyone who saw that game knew that Greenwood had the better team.And as far as the rankings who cares.

Ranger Mom
07-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Hey Girl, where have you been???

I actually thought we did extremely well against Daingerfield myself!!

I just hope the boys keep their egos in check this year. I have faith in them though, the majority of them seemed pretty focused!!

audasmom7
07-11-2003, 08:04 PM
And Buddy what game were you at?

true_blue_tiger
07-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Audasmom, I'm from Daingerfield, and I'll admit that yall whooped our rears that game, but i wouldnt necessarily say yall were the better team. Just the better prepared team, and more focused. We gave off of a big win over one of our rival of the past few years, Spring Hill. And our heads were too big. If we meet again in the playoffs, i do believe it will be a great game. As for that fight, Everyone in Dfield is ashamed of it, and is trying to forget that it happened. but people like you bring it up, months after it happened trying to start stuff. and yall werent as innocent as yall tried to appear

audasmom7
07-12-2003, 12:27 AM
Yeah ok.....
Hope to see ya again.

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-12-2003, 12:51 AM
vet93:
Each year is a new year and even though you can predict alot from returning starters etc...it doesn't equal sure fire success. Injuries, team chemistry, scheduling, hot streaks, key mistakes and so on can make for a bumpy road. That is why I have to laugh when people make statements saying that a team is a vitual lock for the regional championship. There are several teams in the region that could potentially get on a streak and have a phenomal season (remember Bandera). Greenwood is the prohibitive favorite but don't count out Sweetwater, Decatur, Canyon, Kennedale and Ballinger as potential teams that could sneak up on Greenwood. Who knows...some team that we are not suspecting could put together the season of a lifetime or one of the favorites could have some key injuries. It is a long time until December :D I agree with Vet here. Unless the entire team comes back, each year is a new year with new possibilities. I'm not sure what the ratings really mean. Some players get hyped because they are in the top 10 and some get hyped because they are not and feel like they should be. I guess there will always be favorites, but in High School football well Any Given Friday Night! I just can't wait to get this season started. My son plays for Vernon and I think they will have a great team this year, much improved over last year, but I won't really know until after several games into the season. Shouldn't take long for Vernon as they play, Sweetwater, Altus Ok and Wichita Falls High first three rattles out of the box. We will see by then. Oh yes, I think Decator is being over-rated but I won't really know until after several games.

Green Ranger
07-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Alright I have heard enough and here are my two cents. The Greenwood Rangers are State Finalist, simply put. You can ponder the could have, should have, would haves all you want but we were there, not the the very talented Stangs, Canyon, or Ballinger w/Possey. If I can think back right, there was not a single game where we were not outsized maybe other than Bandera, and hats off to them. My thought of this past year comes from a qoute off of Cool Runnings, yes the disney bob sled movie, but the qoute rings true and to me was the finalist team exactly, anyhow, it went something like this: If you are never any good without it (the championship), you will never be any good with it. As far as this year to come, GreenwoodBro, something important to remember, we will be at Greenwood two times, once at Grande, which means the remaining 7 are on the road. I will say look for a good year from Dawson Wilber, so that he signs somewhere as a kicker. Dont piss off the lions before you enter their den. Just my two cents.

Ranger Mom
07-12-2003, 09:30 AM
AMEN GreenRanger!!!

Chief Woodman
07-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Greenwood ranger- don't you mean that Greenwood WAS a state finalist...not ARE State finalists? After all not one team has won a game in the 2003-2004 season as far as I know. Not to mention no playoff games have taken place yet.
Z motion- Decatur over rated? Love it when folks think that way. Their somphmore QB Chandler Dane had almost 3,000 yards passing as a sophmore, and baring injury will poobably end his HS career as one of the top 3 yardage men in 3A history. He has more talent at WR to throw to and should be even better this year. Looking forward to a lot of fun this season. Texas HS football- best in the Nation, Hemi-sphere, and even the world!

true_blue_tiger
07-12-2003, 12:14 PM
nothing is a given in football. Just because you made it to the state finals, the year before doesnt mean a hill of beans. Look at Daingerfield in 1998, they rolled over people up until the state finals, and then lost to a good Newton team. But then in 1999, they didnt lose many players, but they lost just enough key players that they went 6-5 instead of 15-1. So dont count your chicks before they hatch!!

audasmom7
07-12-2003, 03:14 PM
YADA YADA YADA.....

audasmom7
07-12-2003, 03:16 PM
And blue tiger I like your saying... I think I will make a sign.. And hang it in our locker room.

true_blue_tiger
07-13-2003, 12:25 PM
yeah, you like that? made it up on my own! I think we should put it up in our locker room though!

Green Ranger
07-13-2003, 01:03 PM
I apologize, we were State Finalist. I am not saying we will make it back to State, what I am saying is the kids last year had alot of heart, not size and that what got them as far as we went. Throw on top of that 7 road games I think it is going to be a tough season. But getting back to my point originally, if you play the game with heart and play it right, whether you have a State Ring on your finger when it is said and done or no wins at all, the way you play determines if you are a champion or night. It takes more than a title to make a person. Sweetwater, great example, we played them twice and both times beat them by a few points. But when it was over the were true sportmen and wished us the best and I saw a few in the stands at Waco. They are champions! Ask Corey Fulbright what makes him a champion, the heart and faith that young man has to beat the odds. Not some title, Rangers 03' have alot to hold their head high for regardless of what happens in 04'

mustang04
07-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Green Ranger, Thank you for calling us true sportsmen, our coach told us before every game how we need to to what needs to be done during and after the game, and after we lost to yall in the play-offs, i will admit i was heart-broken, but not as bad as the seniors, but we still had alot of respect for yall...we might not have won state, but i still think we were champions