PDA

View Full Version : Sad news

rockdale80
09-15-2006, 10:18 PM
A&M Consolidated-Westlake game canceled after player collapses

By LARRY BOWEN
Eagle Sports Writer

The Top 10 high school football showdown between Austin Westlake and A&M Consolidated on Friday night was canceled early in the second quarter after a Westlake player collapsed on the sideline and was taken to a hospital.

Senior offensive lineman Matt Nader was in stable condition at the College Station Medical Center 90 minutes after the game was canceled, according to Westlake officials.

Nader collapsed near the Westlake bench and the game was stopped with 10 minutes, 25 seconds left in the second quarter and the score tied at 7-7.

The public address announcer at Tigerland Stadium asked for an ambulance as medical personnel treated Nader, who was on his back on the track around the field, about 10 yards away from his teammates.

Nader’s mother, who is a doctor, administered CPR to her son and paramedics used a defibrillator to revive the 300-pound tackle.

The game was halted at 7:57 p.m. Emergency workers began to put Nader into the ambulance at 8:06 and the ambulance left the field at 8:10.

Players who were on the field at the time of the stoppage — Consolidated’s offensive unit and the Westlake defense — knelt together with heads bowed as Nader was being treated.

The superintendents of both schools met with the head coaches and game officials briefly at midfield and then decided to cancel the nondistrict game at 8:14.

Westlake officials said Nader would remain at the hospital overnight.

Nader is a highly regarded offensive tackle who has orally committed to sign with the University of Texas.

Both teams came into the game with 2-0 records.

shellman54
09-15-2006, 10:19 PM
updates on the young man when you get them

pirate4state
09-15-2006, 10:21 PM
This is terrible news. I'll keep this young man & his family and community in my prayers.

18handicap
09-15-2006, 10:26 PM
I was at the game. It was a tragic scene, but news here in College Station report that now he is alert and talking and much better. The news is much better in this situation. Consol also found some tragic news as a very popular player who graduated last year, Ed King, was killed in a massive traffic accident on SH 6 between CS and Navasota. Hopefully everyone will pray for the players, coaches, families of both communities.

maroogreen
09-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Doctor or not, I'd be a basket case if I had to resuscitate (SP?) my son on the sidelines, not to mention with an audience of thousands watching. I'm glad to hear he is doing better.

BrahmaMom
09-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Autopilot kicks in when you've been trained. And who more than your child would you give your all to? Prayers from Bellville for both communities. I was on Hwy 6 @ Navasota last night and thought it could be a difficult area given the wrong circumstances. To Matt, his teammates and family, I am so sorry but it sounds like Matt is going to pull through without serious repercussions. That said, PLEASE remember that, as much as we all love football, it is only a game. This may have been a warning of a previously undetected problem. If Matt never plays again, he's a winner because he lived tonight. Matt, God bless you!

sahen
09-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by maroogreen
Doctor or not, I'd be a basket case if I had to resuscitate (SP?) my son on the sidelines, not to mention with an audience of thousands watching. I'm glad to hear he is doing better. you'd be surprised what u are capable when your put in that situation...as said before you go into autopilot and do what you have been trained to do....

Phil C
09-18-2006, 02:03 PM
The last I heard is that he is recovering but will have to give up football. UT Coach Mack Brown has shown the class act that he is by saying UT will still honor his scholarship.

This type of thing along with injuries gives emphasis to early recruiting committments especially to a school that you know will honor the committment whether you can or not in these type of circumstances.

EricDraven
09-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Prayers for that young man, his family and team mates. hope everything turns out okay.

injuredinmelee
09-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The last I heard is that he is recovering but will have to give up football. UT Coach Mack Brown has shown the class act that he is by saying UT will still honor his scholarship.

This type of thing along with injuries gives emphasis to early recruiting committments especially to a school that you know will honor the committment whether you can or not in these type of circumstances.
I still like the way Mack honored Tony Hills scholarship after his devasting and what was thought to be career ending injury in the high school playoff game. That decision has reaped rewards for the Longhorns now.

Gobbler Fan
09-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Westlake's Nader will not be able to play football again, his father says
Doctors say teen had 'lethal arrythmia' at College Station game.

By Rick Cantu
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, September 18, 2006

Westlake senior Matt Nader, a University of Texas recruit who collapsed in a game Friday night in College Station, will never play another football game, his father said Monday.

After an electrophysiological study Monday at South Austin Hospital, cardiologists determined the offensive tackle had a "lethal arrythmia" while sitting on the bench during the Westlake-A&M Consolidated football game.

"Because of the serious nature of this heart rhythm disturbance — and the concern it could happen again in the future — (a cardiologist) inserted an implantable defibrillator into his chest," said Dr. Paul Nader, Matt's father.

Paul Nader said tests taken Monday "looked normal" but the concern is the possibility of having another lethal arrythmia. Matt was lucky Friday because the team had a defibrillator on the sideline.

The defibrillator likely saved his life, Paul Nader said.

"This has been very tough on Matt," he said. "He had spent the last several years preparing to play at the next level (in college). It was fabulous that he was prepared to play for one of the great coaching staffs in the country (at Texas). His mind had been set for the college level. A dream come true."

Matt Nader is expected to be released from the hospital today.

Paul Nader said he has spoken to Longhorns coach Mack Brown and offensive line coach Mac McWhorter on the telephone.

With 12:35 remaining in the second quarter Friday, Matt Nader fell backward while sitting on the bench. Within minutes, his parents — doctors Paul Nader and Barbara Bergin — were administering cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Dr. Paul Tucker, a cardiologist, grabbed the defibrillator that Westlake keeps on its sideline at football games. Within five minutes, an ambulance had arrived to take Matt Nader to College Station Medical Center.

"If people are not treated (for a lethal arrythmia) in a short period of time, people can die from it," Paul Nader said.

The permanent defibrillator is located just beneath the skin near the collar bone. A wire from the device connects to the right side of his heart.

This is sad to see I'm just glad they caught this in time .

:(

awizzy
09-18-2006, 02:31 PM
this story should remind us all that football isnt everything...might toughts and prayers are with the young man his parents and with both teams

44INAROW
09-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Thank Heavens there was a defibulator on the sidelines. (And experienced physicians as well) I am going to find out if Cuero has one and if not, find out what needs to be done to get one

mwynn05
09-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Thank Heavens there was a defibulator on the sidelines. (And experienced physicians as well) I am going to find out if Cuero has one and if not, find out what needs to be done to get one I have noticed them (defibulators) popping up in cases in buildings here on campus as well as other places

LHMom
09-18-2006, 10:18 PM
I was actually surprised to hear today from a coach's wife that LH has one.

My prayers go out for the young man and his family. Football is certainly not everything. They are making the right choice to not risk his life, but career-ending injuries can still be devastating. For young men of this age, this is often their whole "identity." God bless him.

g$$
09-19-2006, 12:43 AM
My prayers & thoughts go out to the kid & his family. Great job by the medical people too at the game & beyond. Mack Brown honoring his scholarship is a classy move. The NCAA allows for these types of medical issues where they do not count against the 25 per year / 85 total scholarships limit. Similar to a career-ending injury (even though he will never play) where neither the kid nor team is punished by unforeseen circumstances. It's one of the few times the NCAA "gets it". Best of luck Matt Nader & so glad this problem was caught now.

lepfan
09-19-2006, 12:49 AM
At my school we have a 2 of them...one upstairs and one downstairs. They are becoming a common tool....nice to know.

CHS_Grad '85
09-20-2006, 09:23 AM
FROM AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Westlake to honor Nader in fundraiser

As a show of support for Westlake football player Matt Nader, students at the school will be selling T-shirts dedicating the rest of the season to him.

A portion of the proceeds will help purchase an additional defibrillator for the athletic department. A defibrillator was used to revive Nader when his heart stopped last week at A&M Consolidated. Further tests this week revealed it could happen to him again.

The T-shirt shows Nader and Westlake's other three captains walking to the center of the field holding hands at the start of the Consolidated game. Chaparrals fans are encouraged to wear the T-shirts for their game against Austin High on Sept. 29.

Bandera YaYa
09-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
FROM AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Westlake to honor Nader in fundraiser

As a show of support for Westlake football player Matt Nader, students at the school will be selling T-shirts dedicating the rest of the season to him.

A portion of the proceeds will help purchase an additional defibrillator for the athletic department. A defibrillator was used to revive Nader when his heart stopped last week at A&M Consolidated. Further tests this week revealed it could happen to him again.

The T-shirt shows Nader and Westlake's other three captains walking to the center of the field holding hands at the start of the Consolidated game. Chaparrals fans are encouraged to wear the T-shirts for their game against Austin High on Sept. 29.
Wow what a good idea.....all schools should be aware of this and make sure they have one on campus. I wish this young man the best. I know something good will come outta all this for him. God Bless! :)