PDA

View Full Version : Quarterbacks are football players too...

kepdawg
09-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Or are they? :thinking:

The NFL has fined Cowboys safety Roy Williams $7,500 for his hit on Jaguars QB Byron Leftwich. :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
09-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Or are they? :thinking:

The NFL has fined Cowboys safety Roy Williams $7,500 for his hit on Jaguars QB Byron Leftwich. :rolleyes: That's crap. That shouldn't have even drawn a flag.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

htowntransplant
09-15-2006, 03:23 PM
$7,500 is chump change for roy.

Adidas410s
09-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
That's crap. That shouldn't have even drawn a flag.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
of all players he should know that you can't put a helmet into a QB's sternum.

That being said...where can you hit a QB???

JasperDog94
09-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
of all players he should know that you can't put a helmet into a QB's sternum.

That being said...where can you hit a QB??? I think it's "2 below" for all QBs.

awizzy
09-15-2006, 03:37 PM
thats bull...how can they expect ppl to stop on a dime...he was going full speed there was no way he could have not stoped...i think they baby the qbs now a days..but how can u when u got ppl like vick and young who like to scramble...if they are gonna leave the pocket let them get their heads knocked off like ever1 eles

Adidas410s
09-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
thats bull...how can they expect ppl to stop on a dime...he was going full speed there was no way he could have not stoped...i think they baby the qbs now a days..but how can u when u got ppl like vick and young who like to scramble...if they are gonna leave the pocket let them get their heads knocked off like ever1 eles

He still could have not lowered his head when making the hit. If he had wrapped him up and driven him back a few yards I doubt a penalty gets called.

awizzy
09-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
He still could have not lowered his head when making the hit. If he had wrapped him up and driven him back a few yards I doubt a penalty gets called.

thats true..but its one thing if it was a cheap shot a lil late it may have been but he wasnt trying to hurt him maybe sending a message but no way was is to hurt him i know its alot to ask a ref to be the judge whens its a cheap shot or not what about trent green...he got knocked out..and i dont think they play drew a flag...but i am sure that guy a fine

Odis
09-15-2006, 04:04 PM
The call on the OSU guy against McCoy was worse. Perfect form tackle just like they coach it and Texas gets three fresh downs on a bogus call.

kepdawg
09-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Odis
The call on the OSU guy against McCoy was worse. Perfect form tackle just like they coach it and Texas gets three fresh downs on a bogus call.

Yep, too bad it was helmet to helmet contact.

MagicMan
09-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Yep, too bad it was helmet to helmet contact.
yeah it was if u work for ABC

Gobbla2001
09-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Odis

Yes, it was helmet to helmet contact as kepdawg said, so it should have been called just because it's a rule... HOWEVER, they need to stress what is done on purpose and what is not... if a player went to tackle another somewhere below that players waste and was already in the motion of tackling, and the ball carrier brought his head sound to plow into the other guy, the defensive guy can get flagged... it's bs...

Just like blocking in the back, they need to tell those refs what a human's side is and what their back is...

Old Tiger
09-15-2006, 05:14 PM
It's under the NFL's new QB's GRRRR Rule that any contact other than that they find suitable. You can't even hit a QB below the waiste anymore.

Keith7
09-15-2006, 05:17 PM
When you lead with your helmet late into a QB in a unprotected position, you should be fined.. good job to the league you got this one right..

Gobbla2001
09-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

Can't hit him in the head, can't hit 'em below the waste, pretty soon you'll only be able to poke him in the stomache so he can go "Hee Hmmm" like the dough-boy...

Gobbla2001
09-15-2006, 05:20 PM
So basically all you need is an arm to be a QB (because a lot of 'em can't scramble these days... not that I can, but some of 'em are just pocket passers)???

You don't need to to wear helmets, nothing... basically we'll take anybody off the streets to throw the ball because they don't need to do anything else...

we already have kickers, and those are a lot tougher than most NFL QBs...

Keith7
09-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
So basically all you need is an arm to be a QB (because a lot of 'em can't scramble these days... not that I can, but some of 'em are just pocket passers)???

You don't need to to wear helmets, nothing... basically we'll take anybody off the streets to throw the ball because they don't need to do anything else...

No I think the QB should be hit as hard as anyone else, as long as he still has the ball and isn't giving himself up by sliding..

I look at it as someone sucker punching someone in a fight.. The person being punched isn't ready to be hit, thus the hit will have alot more impact and will have a higher chance of injury.. Its the same thing with a QB.. After the ball is released he is in the perfect position to get hit, and is not expecting it.. thus causing a better chance of getting hurt..

we already have kickers, and those are a lot tougher than most NFL QBs...

ya u say that until u see a replay of a kicker flopping onto the ground to get a running into the kicker penalty for the first down

Gobbla2001
09-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

ya u say that until u see a replay of a kicker flopping onto the ground to get a running into the kicker penalty for the first down

What's acting gotta do with being tough or not??? that's just trying to help the team out (like every receiver does when he/she gets up asking the ref to throw a flag when it was obvious nothing happened)...

Keith7
09-15-2006, 05:46 PM
What's acting gotta do with being tough or not??? that's just trying to help the team out (like every receiver does when he/she gets up asking the ref to throw a flag when it was obvious nothing happened)...

i just hate floppers, doesnt seem very tough to me..

i'd like to see Daunte Culpepper go head to head with Adam Vinitari or Martin Gramatica and see which position is tougher

Gobbla2001
09-15-2006, 05:50 PM
i just hate floppers, doesnt seem very tough to me..

i'd like to see Daunte Culpepper go head to head with Adam Vinitari or Martin Gramatica and see which position is tougher

I don't like flopping either, but flopping is not about being tough or not, that's apples and oranges...

And go ahead, pick the two wussiest kickers and one of the bigger QBs...

I'm just saying QB's will run you out of bounds if intercept their ball or will wait till you run by and then try to shoe-string tackle you, kickers buckle down and make the hit on kickoff...

And it's not really because the QB is himself a wuss, it's because the league and the teams make it that way so they don't get hurt... it's smart not to have your QB hurt I know, but damn this is turning into soccer...

Keith7
09-15-2006, 05:53 PM
this is turning into soccer...

actually it would be more like tennis or golf, because there are more injuries in soccer then anyother sports (including football)..

Gobbla2001
09-15-2006, 05:54 PM
actually it would be more like tennis or golf, because there are more injuries in soccer then anyother sports (including football)..

yah because you have half a million fans throwing trucks at each other

Pudlugger
09-15-2006, 06:02 PM
It's about the money. You don't see too many flags thrown against the DTs for getting nailed do you?

Keith7
09-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
It's about the money. You don't see too many flags thrown against the DTs for getting nailed do you?

actually I remember a few years ago a Offensive lineman from Green Bay took a cheap shot from Warren Sapp and everyone got pissed off about it, if i remember correctly Mr. Sapp got in some trouble for that hit

Keith7
09-15-2006, 06:08 PM

oh ya and the Chop Block penalty is the same basic concept, a player is in a bad position to take a hit, thus making the chance of injury higher, and there needing to be a penalty for it.. but I dont see everyone getting mad when a flag is thrown for a chop block

Gobbla2001
09-15-2006, 06:10 PM
well a chop block is a very bad block, that's almost automatic injury and is done purposely (not to injure, but to block)...

Keith7
09-15-2006, 06:11 PM
well a chop block is a very bad block, that's almost automatic injury and is done purposely (not to injure, but to block)...

you don't think Roy Williams hit Leftwich purposely??

awizzy
09-15-2006, 06:12 PM

to me in this situation i am not even mad about the money but the flag being thrown...this gave the jags a first down and they went on to score and the cowboys had the lead at this time...but the league is gonna find as many ways to make money as they can

Gobbla2001
09-15-2006, 06:13 PM
you don't think Roy Williams hit Leftwich purposely??

yah, he did, but I'm not talking about Roy Williams doing a late hit here, I'm talking about the QB being protected too much when he's got the damn ball...

Keith7
09-15-2006, 06:19 PM
yah, he did, but I'm not talking about Roy Williams doing a late hit here, I'm talking about the QB being protected too much when he's got the damn ball...

:confused: :confused: U have me confused.. So if this isn't about calls on late hits on the QB, then what do you want them to do?? Ban Offensive lines?? That would be an interesting game

Gobbla2001
09-15-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm talking about not being able to hit the QB above the waste, I'm talking about not being able to have your helmet make the slightest contact on a QB's helmet (which you can get away with that on a RB if it's slight, not a QB)...

And the Texans banned offensive lines day 1 and Carr is okay...