PDA

View Full Version : Local blackout on Sporting Events

Adidas410s
09-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Why does this happen??? Is it because a game doesn't sell out? I have been very frustrated this year when the Rangers are on ESPN in HD but then I can't access the channel because of local blackout and instead have to watch it on a non-HD "local feed."

pirate4state
09-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Why does this happen??? Is it because a game doesn't sell out? I have been very frustrated this year when the Rangers are on ESPN in HD but then I can't access the channel because of local blackout and instead have to watch it on a non-HD "local feed." That is very annoying. Used to happen all the time during hockey season. Instead of watching it on ESPN and listening to Gary Thorne & Bill Clement we'd be stuck with Ralph Strangis & Daryl Reaugh :rolleyes:

mwynn05
09-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Why does this happen??? Is it because a game doesn't sell out? I have been very frustrated this year when the Rangers are on ESPN in HD but then I can't access the channel because of local blackout and instead have to watch it on a non-HD "local feed." I think it's jst they way the contracts are set up that the national games are blacked out in the local area i.e. red sox yeankees are blacked out in NY and Boston...a couple of years ago this didnt happen (on directv anyway)