PDA

View Full Version : Unbalanced Offense

BIG19
09-02-2003, 09:04 AM
If a team's offense is going to be one-sided, which do you feel is going to go farther in the season? Passing or running and why?

Yes, I know everyone wants as much balance as possible, but sometimes that is not possible. Just curious what others think.

bd0707
09-02-2003, 10:02 AM
It is hard to have one without the other. If you depend on either one, it makes the opposing dc's job pretty easy.

District303aPastPlayer
09-02-2003, 10:51 AM
it SHOULD, but it doesnt all the time. Midland Lee was an all run team not too long ago, with Cedric, but went and won state. Baytown Lee was almost all pass with Tate as the QB... i dont think they wont state...

whtfbplaya
09-02-2003, 12:08 PM
I think you can win being semi single-threat, and which you are should depend on your players strengths. although running keeps the ball in your hands.

slpybear the bullfan
09-02-2003, 12:15 PM
There are multitudes of opinions on this. Personally, I like to watch a good passing team that passes to set up the run, either with a good RB or QB. About a 65 - 35% mix of pass to run. Spread that offense out, drop back, and turn the QB loose!

rholl
09-02-2003, 12:40 PM
Everman rushed for over 5000 yds last yr. and threw for less than 1000.

Old Dog
09-02-2003, 12:42 PM
When Burnet played Austin Reagan friday night, the Burnet offense was on and off the field so quickly that the defense appeared to be needing a rest. That is one of the downers of a quick hit, wide open offense. You can't fuss about points, but even good defenses need rest.

St. Ivender
09-02-2003, 12:54 PM
The great Darrell Royal said that 3 things can happen when you pass the ball and 2 of them are bad. A lot of very good teams run to set up the pass. It seems to work fine.

JasperDog94
09-02-2003, 01:02 PM
I know that Jimmy Johnson, when in Dallas, used to use the run to set up the pass. Seemed to work pretty well. If you have no running threat, then your QB is going to get hammered sooner or later.

crzyjournalist03
09-02-2003, 01:12 PM
If I have to make a choice between only running or throwing...I'm throwing. There's a bigger chance for a big play in the air than on the ground. It's definitely riskier, but QB's are supposed to be passers anyway, not handing the ball off to the RB every down.

zeke
09-02-2003, 01:37 PM
A good coach will orchestrate an offensive scheme dependent on the type of talent he has. With a big, mobile, skilled offensive line you can blow defenders off the line of scrimmage and advance the ball 4-5 yard per down. You don't need a passing game if you have the line talent. Few teams are lucky enough to have 5 interior lineman that can blow people off the line of scrimmage.
A great passing game is definitely the way to go if you have the talent to pull it off. Seems like the majority of high school teams have poor to mediocre passing quarterbacks who have problems with accuracy and arm strength. Most coaches give the playing time nod to the QB on their team that has more mobilility. At the other end a great receiver can make a mediocre QB look like a finely tuned machine. He has the speed, quickness and soft hands to adjust to an underthrown or overthrown ball.
A 50/50 mix in passing/running is a virtually unstoppable combination if a team has the talent to pull it off. A team that has a great passing game causes the defensive backs to play farther off the line of scrimmage or it keeps them preoccupied from providing run support.