PDA

View Full Version : Where have these 3A Powers gone??

Dogman_1969
09-14-2006, 08:18 AM
I was looking at some old Texas Football mag's last night and started wondering what happened to some of these programs.

Listed in no particular order:

Dangerfield
Forney
Gatesville
La Vega
Sealy
Navasota
Columbus
Van Vleck
Barbers Hill
Atlanta
Jefferson
Commerce

kaorder1999
09-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
I was looking at some old Texas Football mag's last night and started wondering what happened to some of these programs.

Listed in no particular order:

Dangerfield
Forney
Gatesville
La Vega
Sealy
Navasota
Columbus
Van Vleck
Barbers Hill
Atlanta
Jefferson
Commerce

Dangerfield- 2A
Forney- 4A
Gatesville (not horrible this year, no Taureen Henderson on team)
La Vega-- ??
Sealy -- Been a while since they were elite
Navasota -- have no idea
Columbus-- hae no idea
Van Vleck -- 2A?? I think
Barbers Hill -- NO idea
Atlanta -- been subpar for the last couple of years
Jefferson-- good 2A team

WOSgrad
09-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Barbers Hill - moved to 4A this year. Will probably be in the playoffs.

pancho villa
09-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Barbers Hill 4a, Van Vleck is 2a

big daddy russ
09-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Dangerfield- Moved down to 2A, lost some of their magic
Forney- Moved up to 4A, lost some of their magic
Gatesville- Were down a little, but look like the real deal this year... just beat top 10 Cameron Yoe
La Vega- Not much of a power, but a playoff contender
Sealy- See KAOrder
Navasota- See LaVega
Columbus- Going through some lean years...
Van Vleck- Moved down, lost some of their magic
Barbers Hill- Moved up, but still good
Atlanta- Still 3A, but lost some of their magic since 2003... Was supposed to make a run last year (you know, Atlanta's two-year cycles)
Jefferson- Moved down to 2A, the second-ranked team in the state
Commerce- Still 3A, but not a state title contender

maestro
09-14-2006, 08:38 PM
people tell me that the blurred school zones hurt some communities..

rumors thar the columbus/rice consol. zones have shifted in favor of the raiders...

i know that some of these rural communities have kids that can basically choose.....

van vleck and others.....well....2a numbers means that it really is difficult to sustain greatness.....can be competitive is all some of these communities can muster.....it's all a cycle...

some of it also is realignment......you can be really good in some districts and have a losing record........it's just tough...

support your hometown kids.....remind them that it is a worthwhile activity....

g$$
09-15-2006, 04:56 AM
Van Vleck's demographics changed, if you follow me. Basically Bay City (a few miles away) now gets the kids who used to go to VV. Van Vleck was tough in their day under Bill McGonigle. I can name former NFL guys Eric Martin, Robert Blackmon, Melvin Bonner, Rodney Bonner, etc. that came thru that program. Warren Polk was a bad dude too. There was no shortage of athletes. Times have changed.

Paratrooper
09-15-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Van Vleck's demographics changed, if you follow me. Basically Bay City (a few miles away) now gets the kids who used to go to VV. Van Vleck was tough in their day under Bill McGonigle. I can name former NFL guys Eric Martin, Robert Blackmon, Melvin Bonner, Rodney Bonner, etc. that came thru that program. Warren Polk was a bad dude too. There was no shortage of athletes. Times have changed.

Bay City is down also I thought?

Gobbla2001
09-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Paratrooper

Just the last couple of years... went 10-1 in '04, lost to La Marque in Bi-district?

Made the playoffs last year, lost to La Marque again I think...

Their district has gotten a lot tougher though, this year they seem down though at 0-2... Maybe Van Vleck's getting the athletes now?

In all honesty though, I do not see re-zoning effecting Columbus and Altair Rice Consolidated so much... if you're ever in the area there really isn't too much in between these two towns, but that's just me... Columbus really had a good program in the 90's, but that head coach that had 'em in the 90's is in Boerne now? That'll tell you something there...

Sealy??? the talent isn't too far down to be honest... they are still a disciplined ball club and play 111% (figured we've wore out the 110% ;) ), but it all started after Mills left so maybe he took some the Sealy Mojo with him when he left for Mojo...

The wizard
09-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Have a college friend on the staff at Gatesville. They are pretty good this year and could make a run in the playoffs.

PPHSfan
09-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Where have these 3A Powers gone??

To 5A :D

g$$
09-16-2006, 04:28 AM
VV is down. Not the same athletes.

lostaussie
09-16-2006, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by The wizard
Have a college friend on the staff at Gatesville. They are pretty good this year and could make a run in the playoffs. i bet he is sad:( this morning!!!!!!!!!

DaRaiderz
09-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by maestro
rumors thar the columbus/rice consol. zones have shifted in favor of the raiders...

False. The district lines between Columbus and Rice have not changed at all. Even if they did, nobody really lives between Altair and Columbus where a change in the lines would send a large group of kids one way or the other. Its nothing but gravel pits between Altair and Columbus. Columbus' problems hinge entirely on the fact that there aren't any Schobel's walking the halls currently. They have no talent at the skill positions. Give them 12 years and the new wave of Schobels will arrive and they will be back on the map.

Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Sealy??? the talent isn't too far down to be honest... they are still a disciplined ball club and play 111% (figured we've wore out the 110% ;) ), but it all started after Mills left so maybe he took some the Sealy Mojo with him when he left for Mojo...

COMPLETELY not true. Sealy's current talent is not even in the same ballpark as their teams in the early 1990's. The Sealy class of 1997 lost one football game in their life, in 7th grade. That goes a little beyond coaching, that tells me they had extremely supreme talent. On the Sealy team in 1995 (either 95 or 97 were their best team), I can think of at least 8 kids on that team who at least received offers from D1 schools. Their current program doesn't have anything remotely close to that.

Mills left Sealy for the same reasons Bludau left Columbus. They saw the talent pool was going dry and jumped ship before everything turned south. Thats just going to happen at schools with only 500-600 kids. The powers shift and Im sure both programs will be in the spotlight once again one day.

People always want to give TJ Mills so much credit for being such a great coach but they forget he coached at Sealy for 15 years before he won anything. He had a rush of incredible talent through a 3A school and give him and his staff (he had a wonderful staff in those days) credit for getting the absolute most out of that talent that they could.

Gobbla2001
09-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by DaRaiderz
False. The district lines between Columbus and Rice have not changed at all. Even if they did, nobody really lives between Altair and Columbus where a change in the lines would send a large group of kids one way or the other. Its nothing but gravel pits between Altair and Columbus. Columbus' problems hinge entirely on the fact that there aren't any Schobel's walking the halls currently. They have no talent at the skill positions. Give them 12 years and the new wave of Schobels will arrive and they will be back on the map.

COMPLETELY not true. Sealy's current talent is not even in the same ballpark as their teams in the early 1990's. The Sealy class of 1997 lost one football game in their life, in 7th grade. That goes a little beyond coaching, that tells me they had extremely supreme talent. On the Sealy team in 1995 (either 95 or 97 were their best team), I can think of at least 8 kids on that team who at least received offers from D1 schools. Their current program doesn't have anything remotely close to that.

Mills left Sealy for the same reasons Bludau left Columbus. They saw the talent pool was going dry and jumped ship before everything turned south. Thats just going to happen at schools with only 500-600 kids. The powers shift and Im sure both programs will be in the spotlight once again one day.

People always want to give TJ Mills so much credit for being such a great coach but they forget he coached at Sealy for 15 years before he won anything. He had a rush of incredible talent through a 3A school and give him and his staff (he had a wonderful staff in those days) credit for getting the absolute most out of that talent that they could.

The class of '97 only lost one game which was in 7th grade or the class of '98 (season '97)???

No, it the talent may not be the same, but having seen these kids play every year (minus this year) and seeing the ones in the mid to late 90's play I'd have to say they're not TOO far off...

'99 was most likely the most-talent team Sealy had (when it came to size and speed), and they didn't win it...

No, there are no Derek Curry's there right now, but there are some Joyners etc (and no I'm not talkin' eligibility issue-wise)...

when it comes to Talent, Sealy still has a lot more than a lot of the teams that make the playoffs...

my opinion is that Mills took some of the mojo with him...

cheatchu
09-16-2006, 11:05 AM
LV is 2-1 and started of the season with a win against a very good Marlin team, they dealt with farfield last night. And the loss came against grosbeck who beat mart last night.

htowntransplant
09-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Paratrooper

look at bay city's 2006 schedule...

they will likely be 0-7 b4 they play a very good el campo team. i think they will only beat seven lakes and foster. terry is down a little from last yr, so they might get a win vs them.

Highschoolfan78
09-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Have a college friend on the staff at Gatesville. They are pretty good this year and could make a run in the playoffs.

the same gatesville that lost 84-10 to LH?

htowntransplant
09-16-2006, 12:11 PM
ehh people still talking about it. cmon as if the gatesville fans in here arent already tired of reading about it lol ...:mad:

Highschoolfan78
09-16-2006, 02:09 PM
lol no im not tryin to dog them, and i wish them the best if they can rebound and make the playoffs.. i guess it looks bad the way i put that up there

DaRaiderz
09-16-2006, 05:16 PM
The class of '97 only lost one game which was in 7th grade or the class of '98 (season '97)???

No, it the talent may not be the same, but having seen these kids play every year (minus this year) and seeing the ones in the mid to late 90's play I'd have to say they're not TOO far off...

'99 was most likely the most-talent team Sealy had (when it came to size and speed), and they didn't win it...

No, there are no Derek Curry's there right now, but there are some Joyners etc (and no I'm not talkin' eligibility issue-wise)...

when it comes to Talent, Sealy still has a lot more than a lot of the teams that make the playoffs...

my opinion is that Mills took some of the mojo with him...

Class of '97, Seniors for the 1996 football season, never lost after 7th grade.

In 2001 (or maybe '02), Sealy was probably the best team in the state that did not make the playoffs when they were passed over by Rice, Bellville and Navasota. They were good but to try to say that their talent even compared to the teams that were winning state in the 1990's is an insult to those talented teams. Their talent level has only gone down since then. We play them every year, they get slower and less athletic.

Gobbla2001
09-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by DaRaiderz
Class of '97, Seniors for the 1996 football season, never lost after 7th grade.

In 2000, Sealy was probably the best team in the state that did not make the playoffs when they were passed over by Rice, Bellville and Navasota. They were good but to try to say that their talent even compared to the teams that were winning state in the 1990's is an insult to those talented teams. Their talent level has only gone down since then. We play them every year, they get slower and less athletic.

Well Sealy won state in '94, '95, '96, and '97... so their freshmen year, '93, would have a loss in it, correct???

I'm not saying they're AS athletic, but they are still talented... they still have speed and they still have good fundamentals, it just doesn't work anymore... maybe because Rice is actually beating them now is making you think they're terrible, you guys are just good...

sweetwater07
09-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

Gatesville- Were down a little, but look like the real deal this year... just beat top 10 Cameron Yoe

isn't this the team that lost 84-10 against LH??

Gobbla2001
09-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Let me clear it some more.... I am not saying they compare in talent, I'm just saying they're no slouches, they still have talent... they still play balls to the walls, the scheme just doesn't work for 'em anymore from what I can tell...

Gobbla2001
09-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
isn't this the team that lost 84-10 against LH??

yah, but after beating a top 10 wouldn't you have said the same thing???

sweetwater07
09-16-2006, 05:25 PM
yah, but after beating a top 10 wouldn't you have said the same thing???

yeah i would have after they beat cameron...but now...i don't want to here anything for the rest of the season about gatesville...seems as though anyone with a good running game will turn the game into a track meet

Gobbla2001
09-16-2006, 05:26 PM
yeah i would have after they beat cameron...but now...i don't want to here anything for the rest of the season about gatesville...seems as though anyone with a good running game will turn the game into a track meet

Yes sir we're sorry...

you need to stop posting too, I don't want to hear anything about Sweetwater :eek:

:D

sweetwater07
09-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Yes sir we're sorry...

you need to stop posting too, I don't want to hear anything about Sweetwater :eek:

:D

lol yes sir.....but seriously...i would go hide in a dog house if sweetwater lost that bad...it seems to me like the coaches from LH have no sense of sportsmanship...but idk..so no one jump me for it..please!!

Gobbla2001
09-16-2006, 05:33 PM
lol yes sir.....but seriously...i would go hide in a dog house if sweetwater lost that bad...it seems to me like the coaches from LH have no sense of sportsmanship...but idk..so no one jump me for it..please!!

They have sportsmanship trust me... they didn't run up the score, they just 'ran' up the score... all they do is run the ball, you don't stop it, you don't feel good after the game...

sweetwater07
09-16-2006, 05:35 PM
They have sportsmanship trust me... they didn't run up the score, they just 'ran' up the score... all they do is run the ball, you don't stop it, you don't feel good after the game...

well i just figured they would kneel it every down or something...but i guess if they can't stop the run...let it be a wake up call for practice to next day

Gobbla2001
09-16-2006, 05:36 PM
well i just figured they would kneel it every down or something...but i guess if they can't stop the run...let it be a wake up call for practice to next day

I wouldn't kneel the ball when I had some 2nd and 3rd stringers on the sideline hungry for some playing time... they get their rearends busted by the first teams all week for what? to look pretty on the sideline?

Get in there and score...

LH Panther Mom
09-16-2006, 05:37 PM

well i just figured they would kneel it every down or something...
Good gosh! Can you give it a rest? Can you not read? When during the game do you start taking a knee....mid-3rd quarter? Or do you drag the JV & freshmen players out of the stands, who by the way are ineligible because they had already played. This was a good thread until you started this back up. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
09-16-2006, 05:39 PM
But have no fear, Cuero Head Coach Mark Reeve, a native of Gatesville, says they're gunna keep the first stringers in there ALLL night and do nothing but throw 20+ yard passes because he is pissed...

and yes I am just kidding...

sweetwater07
09-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Good gosh! Can you give it a rest? Can you not read? When during the game do you start taking a knee....mid-3rd quarter? Or do you drag the JV & freshmen players out of the stands, who by the way are ineligible because they had already played. This was a good thread until you started this back up. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i never read the previous posts...i caughtn it in the end...i wasn't saying that LH was unsportmanlike...just saying thats a heck of a score......sorry if i offended you in any way..i didn't mean to

g$$
09-18-2006, 03:21 AM
To answer a question from way back, yes Bay City is down this year, but the point I made is still the same. I have a cousin who now is at VV after 20+ years at Bay City. He moved to get into a better school district for teaching w/ more discipline. Administrative changes were made. There are a couple of new subdivisions in VV too. This is not even close - I saw VV play last year & it is a different program w/ different kids. No speed like the crazy option days in all Black uniforms. Girls sports are actually better now. The Leopards were tough & put lots of kids into college & even the NFL. Bill McGonigle did a super job there for years. The longtime families who used to attend VV now go to BC. Blackmons, Griggs, Martins, Brinkleys, Hudgins, Petteways, cousins, etc. Believe me when I say VV used to have plenty of athletes (I played against them too). Their demographics changed to put it nicely, & now most of those attend BC. BC will be back because they have skill kids & good #s. There used to be some "imaginary lines" on where these kids would attend school (Cedar Lane, etc.). VV sits between Sweeny & Bay City on Hwy. 35, & let's just say move-ins were common depending on the prospects of the local teams. Not so much anymore as the UIL is much stronger today in enforcing residency rules for everybody.

I agree with the Columbus poster saying there aren't any Schobels walking the hallways now. There are 3 in the NFL though right now (Aaron = Bills, Matt = Eagles, & Bo = Colts). Those kind of kids tend to help a program. Columbus is salty at baseball & volleyball though & their emphasis seems to be there right now. These things go in cycles anyway w/ coaching changes, etc.

87 TIGER
09-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Have a college friend on the staff at Gatesville. They are pretty good this year and could make a run in the playoffs. Hope they don't run into Liberty Hill