PDA

View Full Version : Former Governor Ann Richards dies

shankbear
09-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Breaking news...more later

GreenMonster
09-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Dude, she looked older than Strom Thurmond. Hope she went out peaceful. Sympathy to her family for their great loss.

AggieJohn
09-13-2006, 09:55 PM
that sucks, first governor i can remember....sad thing is since her i can only remember bush and perry being in office, was their another?

District303aPastPlayer
09-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Former Texas Gov. Ann Richards, 73, dies
POSTED: 10:53 p.m. EDT, September 13, 2006

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Former Gov. Ann Richards, the witty and flamboyant Democrat who went from homemaker to national political celebrity, died Wednesday night after a battle with cancer, a family spokeswoman said.

She was 73.

She died at home surrounded by her family, the spokeswoman said.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Bull's-eye
09-13-2006, 10:00 PM
She once said "Poor George, he was born with a silver foot in his mouth" referring to president George W. Bush.

kaorder1999
09-13-2006, 10:25 PM
wow...sad news

Keith7
09-13-2006, 10:33 PM
RIP Ann Richards.. The last great govenor of Texas

STANG RED
09-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Sad news indeed! I may not have agreed with all of her politics, but I couldnt help but like her. She always talked streight, and told it like she saw it. I had the pleasure of meeting her twice, and she even remembered me the second time, which was about 2 years later. I was very impressed! Both times, she looked me square in the eye, and gave me a nice firm handshake, ginuinely made me feel, she was glad to meet me.

piratebg
09-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
that sucks, first governor i can remember....sad thing is since her i can only remember bush and perry being in office, was their another?

Im on the same boat as you AJ. I don't remember anyone between her and Bush at all. I did see her in person once when I was in elementary. She was the first govenor whose name I always remembered.

BTEXDAD
09-14-2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
She once said "Poor George, he was born with a silver foot in his mouth" referring to president George W. Bush.

Minor correction. That was referring to the elder bush. It was Anne's speech at democratic convention in 1988.

PPHSfan
09-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Im on the same boat as you AJ. I don't remember anyone between her and Bush at all. I did see her in person once when I was in elementary. She was the first govenor whose name I always remembered.

None SINCE her other than Bush and Perry. But if you are not old enough to remember ole Sam, then you are a pup.

AP Panther Fan
09-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Anyone remember this? Truly a neat lady!

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/farid/research/digitaltampering/annrichards1.jpg

Gov. ANN W. RICHARDS of Texas turns 60 today and will get her birthday wish: a motorcycle license.
"She took the written test and driving test and passed with flying colors," BILL CRYER, her press secretary, told The Associated Press. He said she planned to go to a Texas Department of Public Safety driver's license testing station today to be photographed and complete the paperwork.
The Governor had casually mentioned last year that she would like to ride a motorcycle for her 60th birthday, and Harley-Davidson presented her with a white one decorated with the Texas flag. To avoid violating ethics laws, she donated it to the Department of Public Safety but took some training classes.
So did Mr. Cryer. Apparently, in Texas there is more to the job of press secretary than issuing news releases. He was her partner in the class -- and also passed the test.

KTJ
09-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I really loved her leadership and style. She was a great lady.

I wish she was in office right now.

PPHSfan
09-14-2006, 10:06 AM
I couldn't stand her politics. But she was fun to watch.

PPHSfan
09-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Oh by the way.

She won the governers race because she ran against a buffoon.

Does anyone remember who it was?

The Midland folks should know him.:D

pirate44
09-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Oh by the way.

She won the governers race because she ran against a buffoon.

Does anyone remember who it was?

The Midland folks should know him.:D
Clayton williams did everything in his power to lose that race. first election i voted in. his comment on rape did him in finally.

PPHSfan
09-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
Clayton williams did everything in his power to lose that race. first election i voted in. his comment on rape did him in finally.

Do you remember his wifes name?

44INAROW
09-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Do you remember his wifes name?

i can't remember her name, ClayDesta is what comes to mind when I think of Clayton Williams..... What was her name? (I am too lazy to goole it)

PPHSfan
09-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
i can't remember her name, ClayDesta is what comes to mind when I think of Clayton Williams..... What was her name? (I am too lazy to goole it)

LOL,

His wife's name is Modesta.

Claydesta is the name of his company, named after them both.:D

BTEXDAD
09-14-2006, 10:54 AM
He used to have all kinds of business going on around the college station area and elsewhere. Is he still around, or did he go the route of J.R. Ewing?

Maroon87
09-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Im on the same boat as you AJ. I don't remember anyone between her and Bush at all.

Because there wasn't anyone between them. Bush defeated Richards for Governor in 1994.

westtxfballfan
09-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
He used to have all kinds of business going on around the college station area and elsewhere. Is he still around, or did he go the route of J.R. Ewing?

He's still seen around town a lot in Midland.

EricDraven
09-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Won't speak ill of the recently departed, but disagree, respectfully, with those who believe she was great.

carter08
09-14-2006, 03:11 PM
What will Bill Daughtreve from King of the Hill do? They had something special

Bullaholic
09-14-2006, 03:21 PM
What statement did Clayton Williams get in the most trouble for during his campaign?

nm--it was mentioned above.

JasperDog94
09-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
What statement did Clayton Williams get in the most trouble for during his campaign? He made some comment about rape being like a tordano. There's nothing you can do about it so you might as well enjoy it.

PPHSfan
09-14-2006, 03:23 PM
What statement did Clayton Williams get in the most trouble for during his campaign?

When he compared rape to bad weather. He said "if it's inevitable, you may as well lay back and enjoy it."

Or something like that. It's been a while.

JasperDog94
09-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by EricDraven
Won't speak ill of the recently departed, but disagree, respectfully, with those who believe she was great. Same here. Her legacy (unfortunately) will be of forcing the lottery on Texas. She said it was either the lottery or a state income tax. She promised that the lottery would go to education. Too bad it went straight into the general fund instead.

Bullaholic
09-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
He made some comment about rape being like a tordano. There's nothing you can do about it so you might as well enjoy it.

That was correct, JDog. Not sure, but I think he also said that every boy in Texas should be sent to Boys Town to be "bred" at least once, or words to that effect.

JasperDog94
09-14-2006, 03:31 PM
That was correct, JDog. Not sure, but I think he also said that every boy in Texas should be sent to Boys Town to be "bred" at least once, or words to that effect. Not too smart. Most politicians are smart enough to keep those comments to themselves, but he must have had diarreah of the mouth and constapation of the brain.

Bullaholic
09-14-2006, 03:33 PM
More money than "sense", JDog. Lots of money has that effect on some folks. Heck, look at what it has done to PPHSFan. He used to be meek and mild-mannered before he hit the big-time. :D

KingRob
09-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Never met the lady, but how many ladies have been the Governor of Texas? RIP Ms. Richards...My condolences to her loved ones.