PDA

View Full Version : Craig Biggio to retire after next season....

AggieJohn
09-13-2006, 10:24 AM
has said that he will sign else where if they stros don't sign him this year.....

3afan
09-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Famer ??????????????????

Maroon87
09-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

No doubt. Knowing he plans to retire, the Astros would be complete idiots to let him sign elsewhere and get #3000 in enemy threads. Just his pursuit of 3000 alone will bring people to Munite Maid, no matter what the team's record is next year.

Just my 2 cents...:)

AggieJohn
09-13-2006, 11:14 AM
considering he gave houston a hometown discount of 4 million this year......drayton should give him a blank check

JasperDog94
09-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Wrong. If he wants to go, let him go.

Would you rather:

A. See Biggio get 3000 hits as an Astro,

or

B. Put a second baseman that's not past his prime in there and have a better shot at a World Series ring?

I choose B.

pirate44
09-13-2006, 12:55 PM
hmmm/.....i wonder when i should put my biggio figurine i got at a hooks game this year on ebay? :thinking: ive got 2 unopened, and one that my son broke the head off of:D

Bull's-eye
09-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Loyalty isn't always what's best for the team. The Rockets let Olujuwon go, Dallas did the same with Emmitt and many other teams had and will have to make decisions about their aging star players. I would love to see Biggio retire an Astro, but as long as he could stay productive. It's a business and "B" would be the wiser choice.

AggieJohn
09-13-2006, 01:06 PM
he's still a decent 2B

BTEXDAD
09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
considering he gave houston a hometown discount of 4 million this year......drayton should give him a blank check [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JasperDog94
Wrong. If he wants to go, let him go.

Would you rather:

A. See Biggio get 3000 hits as an Astro,

or

B. Put a second baseman that's not past his prime in there and have a better shot at a World Series ring?

I choose B.

I tend to agree with AJ.
I think Biggio is productive enough to stay and has done enough for team and Houston city to keep around.
Houston sports has let a number of productive players go that had strong home town ties, but were considered "over the hill." Many would have still helped the teams and boosted attendance. Olajuwon, Nolan Ryan, Earl Campbell, Warren Moon to name a few.

Bearkat
09-13-2006, 01:19 PM
He's still productive enough for the astros to sign him. The money will be the issue. Biggio isn't worth the big bucks anymore. I'm sure the astros will resign him if he will take a pay cut.

sahen
09-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I tend to agree with AJ.
I think Biggio is productive enough to stay and has done enough for team and Houston city to keep around.
Houston sports has let a number of productive players go that had strong home town ties, but were considered "over the hill." Many would have still helped the teams and boosted attendance. Olajuwon, Nolan Ryan, Earl Campbell, Warren Moon to name a few. getting rid of Oljauwon was one thing (he really was done) i dont remember Campbell (i was too young) but getting rid of Moon and Ryan were stupid moves....as long as we have several guys batting around .200 in our lineup i think we can keep Biggio on the roster for one more year, he may not be what he was 5 years ago but he can still hit better than most of our starting lineup...

Technoredneck
09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by sahen
getting rid of Oljauwon was one thing (he really was done) i dont remember Campbell (i was too young) but getting rid of Moon and Ryan were stupid moves....as long as we have several guys batting around .200 in our lineup i think we can keep Biggio on the roster for one more year, he may not be what he was 5 years ago but he can still hit better than most of our starting lineup...

Not to mention all of the times he has reworked his contract to free up money for other players, and he took a BIG paycut to stay with the 'stros when he was a free agent. I think they really need to make him a "Astro-For-Life" and they don't need to dick around about it. Git-er-done!

JasperDog94
09-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by sahen
getting rid of Oljauwon was one thing (he really was done) i dont remember Campbell (i was too young) but getting rid of Moon and Ryan were stupid moves....as long as we have several guys batting around .200 in our lineup i think we can keep Biggio on the roster for one more year, he may not be what he was 5 years ago but he can still hit better than most of our starting lineup... But that is the problem. If you had other guys in the lineup tearing it up, you could settle for Biggio hittin .260. But with Ausmus and Everett AND Biggio with low batting averages, that's just not going to cut it.

sahen
09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
But that is the problem. If you had other guys in the lineup tearing it up, you could settle for Biggio hittin .260. But with Ausmus and Everett AND Biggio with low batting averages, that's just not going to cut it. so u get rid of the guys that haven't been there as long since biggio only wants one more year...lets see keep, biggio who is batting .260 for one more year and groom a 2nd baseman for one more year behind him (prolly burke) or keep other younger guys who are batting below .250 for a lot longer?...i say get rid of the younger guys and find someone to take their spot, biggio at most deserves to finish in houston....

JasperDog94
09-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Burke is better than Biggio right now. Why "groom" him for another year just to see a record broken when you can help your team?

Bull's-eye
09-13-2006, 03:46 PM
You could also sign Biggio, let him get his 3000 hits and then trade him to a playoff contending team. You could get a prospect or two in return. Biggio wins a World Series ring and hold no grudges against the Astros. In fact, he is very grateful that they give him the chance to win a championship. The 2 prospects become great players and everybody is happy. :clap: :clap:

awizzy
09-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

no dout...look how many spots he can play..catcher 2nd outfield...u will never not see him hustle...if any kid is looking to play like some1 its this guy

JasperDog94
09-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
You could also sign Biggio, let him get his 3000 hits and then trade him to a playoff contending team. You could get a prospect or two in return. Biggio wins a World Series ring and hold no grudges against the Astros. In fact, he is very grateful that they give him the chance to win a championship. The 2 prospects become great players and everybody is happy. :clap: :clap: You'd be lucky to get 1 prospect for Biggio. He's in the bottom 3rd of second basemen in the league. He's been a great player in the past, but it's just that...in the past.

Technoredneck
09-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Burke is better than Biggio right now. Why "groom" him for another year just to see a record broken when you can help your team?
I'd think you need to quantify that statement a little. Maybe Burke is a little better 2nd Baseman right now and is faster on the bases, but there is no way in a clutch game or even situation that I wouldn't rather have Biggio. Plus Biggio is a clubhouse leader, something that Burke is many years, if ever, away from. I just think in lieu of the past sacrifices the Biggio has made for the Organization, it is time to give some back.

Just my opinion

Bull's-eye
09-13-2006, 04:42 PM
You'd be lucky to get 1 prospect for Biggio. He's in the bottom 3rd of second basemen in the league. He's been a great player in the past, but it's just that...in the past.

A lot of contending teams like adding a veteran late in the season. They bring experience, leadership and usually have enough in their tank to help during the playoffs.

sahen
09-13-2006, 05:11 PM
it is kind of sad that sports have come to this....loyalty to a player who has shown loyalty to you should be a given...

you want to say Burke is better than Biggio?....Burke has what a year and a half under his belt w/ limited performance (off of the bench mainly)...he is put in a spot where he has the best chance of suceeding whereas biggio has been an everyday player, there is a big difference and it is hard to say taht Burke would be better than Biggio if he played everyday...do we even know if Burke can play a whole season (140+ games) and still have enough in the tank to finish out strong? Look i think Burke is a going to be a good player one day, but if you are going to get rid of players on the Astros you dont get rid of Biggio as long as he asks for a reasonable amount of money....get rid of Lane, Ensberg, Ausmus, or Everett before him (and i really dont think we should get rid of Ausmus or Everett, Ensberg is questionable i think he might be playing hurt) but still you dont get rid of Biggio before those guys....

AggieJohn
09-13-2006, 05:38 PM
burke is great but everyone puts more stock into him than they do biggio because burke hit that 18TH inning homer a year ago

Technoredneck
09-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
burke is great but everyone puts more stock into him than they do biggio because burke hit that 18TH inning homer a year ago
1 lucky hit doesn't make you great

Pmoney
09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
I'd think you need to quantify that statement a little. Maybe Burke is a little better 2nd Baseman right now and is faster on the bases, but there is no way in a clutch game or even situation that I wouldn't rather have Biggio. Plus Biggio is a clubhouse leader, something that Burke is many years, if ever, away from. I just think in lieu of the past sacrifices the Biggio has made for the Organization, it is time to give some back.

Just my opinion
i agree with this statement..