PDA

View Full Version : could gilmer win 4a

cats2151
09-13-2006, 09:29 AM
could gilmer win 4a this year?Who in 4a would beat them?

NateDawg39
09-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by cats2151
could gilmer win 4a this year?Who in 4a would beat them? La Marque, Ennis would beat them if there still 4A

shellman54
09-13-2006, 09:31 AM
no. brenham, la marque, texas high, highland park, etc.

DU_stud04
09-13-2006, 09:34 AM
i think they could get to the semi;s atleast.

kaorder1999
09-13-2006, 09:35 AM
wouldnt have the depth to win 4A. THey would get worn down more then likely. COuld they beat some 4A teams? Yes. Could they win all of 4A? NO

Adidas410s
09-13-2006, 09:38 AM
they could beat the St. Louis Rams this year...they're just that good! ;) ;)

injuredinmelee
09-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Absolutely not. Why dont we wait and see if they win 3A then talk about how good they might be in another class. After wathing Copperas Cove I dont think anyone in 4A can beat them (them being Copperas Cove).

Buckeye80
09-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Texas High, Marshall and probably Sulphur Springs would all beat Gilmer in the region. Texas High is head and shoulders above Gilmer "talent-wise", and Marshall just played 5A Longview to within a field goal.

I'm sure this discussion would be flattering to our kids, but across the state, there is too much strength in 4A for Gilmer to seriously compete for a title.:)

cats2151
09-13-2006, 09:59 AM
ennis is 0-2

Buckeye80
09-13-2006, 10:02 AM
ennis is 0-2

Ennis would beat Gilmer.

eagles_victory
09-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Ennis would beat Gilmer. i dont know about that Ennis isnt that good. Your trying so hard not to be a homer it seems like ur kissing arse which IMO is worse then a homer

Bullaholic
09-13-2006, 10:04 AM
In a word...."No". I don't think Gilmer could stay with Brenham or the Cove.

Buckeye80
09-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i dont know about that Ennis isnt that good. Your trying so hard not to be a homer it seems like ur kissing arse which IMO is worse then a homer

I'm a realist. You're a troublemaker! I won't go for it. Everyone on this site knows where I stand.:rolleyes:

vet93
09-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Exactly what I was thinking...

Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Absolutely not. Why dont we wait and see if they win 3A then talk about how good they might be in another class. After wathing Copperas Cove I dont think anyone in 4A can beat them (them being Copperas Cove).

eagles_victory
09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm a realist. You're a troublemaker! I won't go for it. Everyone on this site knows where I stand.:rolleyes: i was just giving my opinion hints the IMO not a troublemaker just stating what I feel. i have the same right as you do so roll them eyes back the other way

Buckeye80
09-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i was just giving my opinion hints the IMO not a troublemaker just stating what I feel. i have the same right as you do so roll them eyes back the other way

I will not accept personal attacks as "just your opinion". You wanna say what you think? Fine! Leave me out of it.

sweetwater07
09-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Stephenville would whoop up on Gilmer...two Div. I qb's

mwynn05
09-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Gilmer would be fine at the skill positions I think it would be the depth and size of the lines that would get them

Buckeye80
09-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Gilmer would be fine at the skill positions I think it would be the depth and size of the lines that would get them

Texas High is FULL of skill position players! Couple that with what you're saying, and we'd get slaughtered. I say that at the risk of sounding like I'm sucking up.:crazy:

pancho villa
09-13-2006, 10:39 AM
They would be a good 4a team but not top 10.

3afan
09-13-2006, 10:42 AM
I think Gilmer could compete well with the 'big boys' simply because they have such quick strike capability

by 'compete well' I mean the top 4A teams would probably beat Gilmer the majority of the time but Gilmer would get their share too - just that the odds are certainly against them. I think the bigger pound'em teams would be especially tough on Gilmer.

but as someone else says - they havent even won their district yet ..........

kaorder1999
09-13-2006, 10:43 AM
they made Kilgore look like a 2A team in their scrimmage but Gilmer still wouldnt dominate 4A. There are a LOT of 4a teams they could beat but they wouldnt be at the top!

Buckeye80
09-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
they made Kilgore look like a 2A team in their scrimmage but Gilmer still wouldnt dominate 4A. There are a LOT of 4a teams they could beat but they wouldnt be at the top!

Tatum, not Gilmer, scrimmaged Kilgore, which might be worse since Tatum is officially 2A now!

lostaussie
09-13-2006, 11:07 AM
could gilmer win 4a this year?Who in 4a would beat them? NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Please God. Make it stop...........Amen

kaorder1999
09-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Tatum, not Gilmer, scrimmaged Kilgore, which might be worse since Tatum is officially 2A now!

ill be dang....you're right. I dont know why i said that!

Buckeye80
09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
NOOOOOOOOOOO.
Please God. Make it stop...........Amen

You know Gilmer is better than you give them credit for! Your humbleness doesn't fly on this board. Gilmer should be in the AFC South!

That's all I'll say. I hate getting riled up. God, Aussie, there are some idiots on this board! Did you read what that moron said?

injuredinmelee
09-13-2006, 11:33 AM
You know Gilmer is better than you give them credit for! Your humbleness doesn't fly on this board. Gilmer should be in the AFC South!

That's all I'll say. I hate getting riled up. God, Aussie, there are some idiots on this board! Did you read what that moron said?

I could see yall maybe getting the wildcard in the AFC. But winning the divison.. probably not.

rholl
09-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Don't know...many impartial people said Everman 01 or 02 had a legit shot to win it all at the 4a level. I can be done I guess, but its really hard to project.

big daddy russ
09-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
They would be a good 4a team but not top 10.
No, no, no, no, no. Gilmer may not win 4A, but they'd be one of the top teams in the state. They could hold their own with Calallen, Denton Ryan, Highland Park, Stephenville, and all those other second-tier teams. They're right on that level and are at around the same talent level as the top teams, they just don't have as much.

The Buckeyes aren't a Brenham, Copperas Cove, or Texas High, but they're not very far behind.

I don't care if you're 4A, 3A, or six-man, if you have five or six legit D-I prospects, at least four of which are blue-chippers, chances are good that you'll be successful at most levels.

big daddy russ
09-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by rholl
Don't know...many impartial people said Everman 01 or 02 had a legit shot to win it all at the 4a level. I can be done I guess, but its really hard to project.
And you guys had a legit shot. Think about it, ya'll took one of the best 4A teams in the state into OT back in 1999 before bowing out of the playoffs, then you just kept getting better through 2001.

Yeah, the cream of the crop in 3A can compete with the cream of 4A, just the same as the cream of the crop in 2A (Tatum) can win a 3A state title.

PHS Wildcats
09-13-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't think they would win 4A, but I think they would make the playoffs, Wow could you see Gilmer in District 12 4A with, Kilgore, Hallsville, Marshall, Jacksonville, Nac, Pine Tree and Whitehouse. That's pretty salty. I think they would make the playoffs.

Corn Cob
09-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Has Gilmer already won 3A?

PHS Wildcats
09-13-2006, 12:49 PM
no:thinking:

injuredinmelee
09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by rholl

I am on record as saying that. I think they easily could have beaten Denton Ryan that year.

thatboiwes
09-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Very, highly unlikely that Gilmer could win state in 4A. Could they make the playoffs? Yeah, I believe they could. Could they make a run 2 or 3 rounds deep? Yeah, I believe they could do that too. But to win state in 4a is a bit of a stretch.

injuredinmelee
09-13-2006, 01:13 PM
could they beat Cuero this year?

injuredinmelee
09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
sorry I had to do that. It will be so much fun to watch these responses.

3afan
09-13-2006, 01:21 PM
I am on record as saying that. I think they easily could have beaten Denton Ryan that year.

easily? very doubtful .... it would have been a toss-up, that Ryan team was very good

thatboiwes
09-13-2006, 01:21 PM

Who? Cuero? I thought we were talking about American football? Not soccer.

bulldogman06
09-13-2006, 01:22 PM

I really want to see what happens when Cuero and Gilmer play each other, if it ever happens. Cuero is the best team this year, IMO. To beat a good Sinton team like that, how could you argue against 'em?

3afan
09-13-2006, 01:26 PM

Everman won in 2001 & 2002

in 2001 the 4A champs were
Division I - Denton Ryan 42, Smithson Valley 35 (OT)
Division II - Ennis 21, Bay City 0

in 2002 the 4A champs were
Division I - Texarkana Texas 42, New Braunfels 11
Division II - Denton Ryan 38, Brenham 8

Everman does not beat any of those 4A state champions

3afan
09-13-2006, 01:27 PM
nm

bulldogman06
09-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
Region iV bias talking :D

hahaha, maybe a little. seriously though, entil someone beats Cuero, they will be my number one. hopefully they lose this week...

injuredinmelee
09-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
Everman won in 2001 & 2002

in 2001 the 4A champs were
Division I - Denton Ryan 42, Smithson Valley 35 (OT)
Division II - Ennis 21, Bay City 0

in 2002 the 4A champs were
Division I - Texarkana Texas 42, New Braunfels 11
Division II - Denton Ryan 38, Brenham 8

Everman does not beat any of those 4A state champions

i watched both teams on two occasions that year and I stand behind my opinion on the matter. everman was the second best team in 3a ever that year. Second of course to Daingerfield.

Bullaholic
09-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Hypothetical threads are the most difficult of all to debate because there is no standard to compare against such as actual scores, etc. I personally enjoy the "what if" threads, but it is sometimes hard to understand why some posters get genuinely mad at another poster's opinion----even though some posts are positively outrageous by anyone's standard. It is like trying to get a correct answer to the question---"What does life on other planets look like?"

pirate4state
09-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
Cuero is the best team this year, IMO. To beat a good Sinton team like that, how could you argue against 'em? I'm not sure whether to be mad at you or laugh? :thinking:

Cuero is very good, but Sinton is nowhere near where they need to be to be labled a "good Sinton team".

I haven't seen Gilmer play, but I believe the KING :D and would welcome a Cuero-Gilmer game!! Hopefully, Gonzales can oblige. Sorry, Gonzales fans.

griff
09-13-2006, 01:50 PM
This is ridiculous.

Let's see if they can win 3A first. At the end of the year, IF they win the state title, then would be the time to ask this question.

With that said, there is usually enough separation in overall talent level between the best 3A schools and the best 4A schools that would make the 4A schools the favorite to win almost every time.

Bullaholic
09-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I haven't seen Gilmer play, but I believe the KING :D

What a teacher's pet. :D

cats2151
09-13-2006, 01:56 PM
man look what i started.I bet no one gilmer plays this year comes with in 4 tds of them.

injuredinmelee
09-13-2006, 01:58 PM
man look what i started.I bet no one gilmer plays this year comes with in 4 tds of them.

and how much would you care to wager on that bold statement?

BTEXDAD
09-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by griff
This is ridiculous.

Let's see if they can win 3A first. At the end of the year, IF they win the state title, then would be the time to ask this question.

Until ESPN calls them the greatest team ever, I don't think we should even discuss it.
Seriously, Gilmer is apparently very good. Hopefully I'll get chance to see them this year, maybe against Cuero (or Bellville).

injuredinmelee
09-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Until ESPN calls them the greatest team ever, I don't think we should even discuss it.
Seriously, Gilmer is apparently very good. Hopefully I'll get chance to see them this year, maybe against Cuero (or Bellville).

Would ESPN compare them to the 05 Trojans? Apparently they invented the game last year at USC. Gilmer could be the second coming.

DU_stud04
09-13-2006, 02:05 PM

to tell you the truth, i dont think cuero has it. i see them losing out before semi's

PHS Wildcats
09-13-2006, 02:06 PM

I want in on that bet. but I doubt you would pay up, plus you already wrong on that one because Tatum lost by 3 tds and a field goal, not 4tds;)

Buckeye80
09-13-2006, 02:11 PM
and how much would you care to wager on that bold statement?

In the regular season, I would take you up on the bet melee. In the playoffs, starting with Liberty-Eylau in the first round (forgone conclusion), you are right. A cake-walk through the playoffs will not happen for the Buckeyes. No one is going to lay down and die for them.

Great.......now we're back to the handing them the trophy discussion!:D

injuredinmelee
09-13-2006, 02:15 PM
In the regular season, I would take you up on the bet melee. In the playoffs, starting with Liberty-Eylau in the first round (forgone conclusion), you are right. A cake-walk through the playoffs will not happen for the Buckeyes. No one is going to lay down and die for them.

Great.......now we're back to the handing them the trophy discussion!:D

allow me to check your schedule. As someone also pointed out though you ahve already won one game by less than the predicted margin. But I might give you a break. Let me check the schedule and get back to you.

Buckeye80
09-13-2006, 02:16 PM
allow me to check your schedule. As someone also pointed out though you ahve already won one game by less than the predicted margin. But I might give you a break. Let me check the schedule and get back to you.

Nothin' but cupcakes in district, and no one of consequence really left in non-district.

Daingerfield Away
Center Home
Atlanta Away (they're down this year)

pirate4state
09-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Great.......now we're back to the handing them the trophy discussion!:D Every year we go through this on this board.

2001 = Abilene Wylie
2002 = Burnet
2003 = Burnet
2004 = Cuero
2005 = Cuero
2006 = Gilmer

None of those teams have won a trophy, I'm just saying. :D

pirate4state
09-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Nothin' but cupcakes in district, and no one of consequence really left in non-district.

Daingerfield Away
Center Home

Quit trying to be humble! :mad: :mad: :evil:

Buckeye80

2006 = Gilmer

Yet Sweetie!:D

injuredinmelee

Daingerfield Away
Center Home

yeah your right i jsut looked at that on the other sight and wow you have like a jv schedule left.

I will still though take the bet. what shall we wager. There will be one game where yall sit back and try and rest on your laurels.

injuredinmelee
09-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Every year we go through this on this board.

2001 = Abilene Wylie
2002 = Burnet
2003 = Burnet
2004 = Cuero
2005 = Cuero
2006 = Gilmer

I still am not certain what happened to that 01 Wylie team. They had some studs in place jsut didnt get it done. 2002 Everman was the 2nd best team ever... lol

pirate4state
09-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Yet Sweetie!:D :blush: :blush: awwww, shucks...calling me sweetie ain't gonna change the fact that all those teams were "hyped" up pretty big on the board and then nada. :kiss:

Doesn't mean it CAN'T happen. ;)

pirate4state
09-13-2006, 02:25 PM
I still am not certain what happened to that 01 Wylie team. They had some studs in place jsut didnt get it done. 2002 Everman was the 2nd best team ever... lol No, Forney was the 2nd best team ever!!! ;) ;)

and Burnet DID beat the Kansas City Chiefs!!!!! :D :D

PHS Wildcats
09-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Yea, Gilmer will go undefeated in the regular season, but I still don't think they will win every game by 4tds, there will be one game were it's going to be out of hand and gilmer might give up a couple of score in garbage time.

big daddy russ
09-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by griff
This is ridiculous.

With that said, there is usually enough separation in overall talent level between the best 3A schools and the best 4A schools that would make the 4A schools the favorite to win almost every time.
I don't understand what you're so mad about. The question posed was COULD they win 4a. In other words, is there a realistic possibility that they could get through the 4A state playoffs.

If it were Liberty Hill or most other 3A teams, I'd say no. But it's the same with most 4A teams that aren't in that upper echelon. Gilmer and Cuero could both put the scare of a lifetime in any 4A team out there, and I think Gilmer could very well made it to a state title game in 4A.

Not that it WOULD happen, just saying it COULD.

lostaussie
09-13-2006, 02:40 PM
man look what i started.I bet no one gilmer plays this year comes with in 4 tds of them. Tatum already has:D

PHS Wildcats
09-13-2006, 03:24 PM
yea, I mentioned that earlier:)

griff
09-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't understand what you're so mad about. The question posed was COULD they win 4a. In other words, is there a realistic possibility that they could get through the 4A state playoffs.

If it were Liberty Hill or most other 3A teams, I'd say no. But it's the same with most 4A teams that aren't in that upper echelon. Gilmer and Cuero could both put the scare of a lifetime in any 4A team out there, and I think Gilmer could very well made it to a state title game in 4A.

Not that it WOULD happen, just saying it COULD.

Umm...what makes you think I'm mad?

Whether it's "WOULD" or "COULD", it's only two games into the season. We don't know how good Gilmer is yet, and we also don't know the best 4A has to offer yet. It's just a little silly to speculate at this point. I'm also saying that there is "usually" enough separation between the "best" in 3a and the "best" in 4a that the 4A champ would be the "favorite" to win almost every time.

Relax, BDR...this isn't an angry thread.

GilmerwinState
09-13-2006, 04:31 PM
All i have to say is its going to be tough to beat Gilmer this year. If any team beats Gilmer this year it will probably be one of the greatest games of the year. I honestly cant see anyone hanging with them there to talented. For one Gilmer hasnt punted the ball yet this year. Secondly gilmer practically scores everytime they get the ball. Third if you beating the Buckeyes your gonna have to score at least 40 points. Tatum defending state champions could only score 21 points against us and they have a wonderful offense and I believe they will bring another state championship home with them in 2a. I think this years team could honestly beat tons of 4a teams this year they might not would win it all but you couldnt count them out. If you really wanna know how good they are this year you should go to a game 3 hours early because if you dont your probably not going to get a good seat.

PPHSfan
09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
A few of the 4a teams are as good as any 5a team in the state. Gilmer would not win a title in 4a, but they could definitely compete.

lostaussie
09-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
A few of the 4a teams are as good as any 5a team in the state. Gilmer would not win a title in 4a, but they could definitely compete. the KING has spoken. lets give it a rest!!!!!

dirtydan
09-13-2006, 10:14 PM
[gilmer is ready for the texas longhorns, baylor bears and even the dallas cowboys.

dirtydan
09-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by GilmerwinState
All i have to say is its going to be tough to beat Gilmer this year. If any team beats Gilmer this year it will probably be one of the greatest games of the year. I honestly cant see anyone hanging with them there to talented. For one Gilmer hasnt punted the ball yet this year. Secondly gilmer practically scores everytime they get the ball. Third if you beating the Buckeyes your gonna have to score at least 40 points. Tatum defending state champions could only score 21 points against us and they have a wonderful offense and I believe they will bring another state championship home with them in 2a. I think this years team could honestly beat tons of 4a teams this year they might not would win it all but you couldnt count them out. If you really wanna know how good they are this year you should go to a game 3 hours early because if you dont your probably not going to get a good seat.

gilmer is unbeatable only if the coaches dont do anything stupid.

dirtydan
09-13-2006, 10:26 PM
i dont think there is a 4a out there that could hang with the gilmer buckeyes this year. they have all the talent, depth, and they are not taking any prisoners this year. bring on texas longhorns, baylor or the dallas cowboys.

Buckeye80
09-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by dirtydan
i dont think there is a 4a out there that could hang with the gilmer buckeyes this year. they have all the talent, depth, and they are not taking any prisoners this year. bring on texas longhorns, baylor or the dallas cowboys.

My God, the expanse of your lunacy knows no bounds!

In Redneck, I just said, "You're an idiot!"

If at some point, you actually have an intelligent thought float to the surface of that vast sea of ignorance you refer to as your noggin, please feel free to share. Otherwise, keep the absurd ramblings to a minimum. You're disturbing the other guests.

In Redneck, I just said in a different way, "You're an idiot!":)

PPHSfan
09-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by dirtydan
[gilmer is ready for the texas longhorns, baylor bears and even the dallas cowboys.

LOL,

Putting Baylor in the same league as Texas, Dallas, and Gilmer is funny.:p

mrescape43
09-14-2006, 08:39 AM
There probably isn't another high school of any size in Texas that has as many division 1 recruits as Gilmer.

Pudlugger
09-14-2006, 08:53 AM
In 2000 when La Grange won state they opened the season playing 4A Bay City in La Grange. Bay City won 28-7. [More depth, more speed and more D1 players.] Bay City won state as well. The next year, with 23 seniors returning including 9 starters on O and 8 on D they played again in the opener HEB Classic in the Alamo Dome. Bay city won 9-0. La Grange went on to the state final losing 14-11 to Commerce. Bay City lost in the final to Ennis. When the best 3A teams meet the best 4A teams you will see the difference in depth of talent. Usually the 4A team will have two or three D1 caliber players while the 3A team will have one or two. That, plus overall depth in both O and D (fewer two way players) spells victory for the 4A teams.

44INAROW
09-14-2006, 08:54 AM
In Redneck, I just said in a different way, "You're an idiot!":)

ROFL :) :clap:

BTEXDAD
09-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by mrescape43
There probably isn't another high school of any size in Texas that has as many division 1 recruits as Gilmer.

How many do they have verbally committed already?
I know 4A brenham already has 7 verbally committed to d-1. Will probably be a few others that go to lower divisions or jr colleges. May have been others that would go d-1 but won't because of grades.
Not sure about the underclassmen there as to what to expect recruiting wise down the road.

But, yes, apparently gilmer has excellent team.

BHBrave08
09-14-2006, 09:12 AM
NO! They could do well for a while, but when it came to playing a team like Brenham or Texarkana Texas High they have no chance(most don't have a chance in fact).

Buckeye80
09-14-2006, 09:40 AM
I know 4A brenham already has 7 verbally committed to d-1. Will probably be a few others that go to lower divisions or jr colleges. May have been others that would go d-1 but won't because of grades.
Not sure about the underclassmen there as to what to expect recruiting wise down the road.

25!:D

thatboiwes
09-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Gilmer has about 10 kids (Juniors and Seniors) that should/will play D-1 football. Currently, there are only 3 who have committed; Curtis Brown to Texas, Dominique Buchannon and G.J. Kinne to Baylor. Jamell Kennedy has received offers from UTEP, SMU and 1 other school that I can't remember right now. All 4 of them are seniors. Justin Johnson, a Junior RB, is rated as the #2 overall prospect in the nation for the class of 2008. So Gilmer has a lot of D-1 talent. And they are deep. They only have a handful of kids that actually play both ways and have 0 kids who start on offense and defense.

When it comes to the top teams in 4a, I believe Gilmer would still be able to put up some fairly big numbers on offense, but where we would get beat would be the defense. Teams like Texas High would just pass all over us.

Old Tiger
09-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Copperas Cove, Waco, Brenham, La Marque, Ennis, and Lake Travis.

Buckeye80
09-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by thatboiwes
Jamell Kennedy has received offers from UTEP, SMU and 1 other school that I can't remember right now.

It's the University of Indiana.

Buckeye80
09-14-2006, 06:47 PM
I will still though take the bet. what shall we wager.

If we win by less than 24 points (four touchdowns), "pirate4state" is your's.:D

Buckeye80
09-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
I want in on that bet. but I doubt you would pay up, plus you already wrong on that one because Tatum lost by 3 tds and a field goal, not 4tds;)

24 points is four touchdowns. He didn't say anything about extra points!:thinking:

mrescape43
09-14-2006, 06:57 PM

I don't know. I read on one website that they had either 8 or 9 d1 recruits before the addition of kinne.