PDA

View Full Version : Anna Nicole Smith's son suddenly dies

KTJ
09-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Anna Nicole's Son Dies, Daughter Is Born
MONDAY SEPTEMBER 11, 2006 08:00AM EST

MONDAY SEPTEMBER 11, 2006 04:20PM EST UPDATED

Daniel Smith, the 20-year-old son of Anna Nicole Smith, died suddenly in the Bahamas on Sunday, three days after the former Playboy Playmate gave birth to a girl, according to a statement from Smith's attorney.

Reginald Ferguson, assistant commissioner of the Royal Bahamas Police Force, tells PEOPLE Daniel was visiting his mother at Doctors Hospital when he was found in her room at about 9:00 a.m. Sunday morning.

"He was found in a condition of non-responsiveness," Ferguson says. "I am not certain who made the alarm, and doctors were called in but he was pronounced dead."

Ferguson says police officers were called to the scene, but there was no evidence of foul play: "There were no signs of violence to the body and there has been no sign of any unusual activities in the room that he was in."

An autopsy was being performed Monday afternoon and police were awaiting its results before determining a cause of death. Despite some newspaper reports, "We have no information about a heart attack at this time," Ferguson tells PEOPLE.

Daniel Smith, who often appeared on his mother's E! reality program The Anna Nicole Show, was in the Caribbean nation where his mother, 38, gave birth to a girl on Thursday, her lawyer, Howard K. Stern, said in a statement.

A statement posted on Smith's official Web site, annanicole.com, reads, "On Sept. 7 Anna Nicole gave birth to a healthy 6 lb., 9 oz. baby girl. Her son Daniel was in the Bahamas with her to share in the joy of his baby sister when he passed away suddenly on the morning of Sept. 10.

"We have yet to learn the cause of death but do not believe that drugs or alcohol were a factor. Anna Nicole is absolutely devastated by the loss of her son. He was her pride and joy and an amazing human being. Please do not make any press inquiries at this time so that Anna Nicole can grieve in peace."

Daniel's father, Smith's ex-husband Billy Smith, tells TV's Extra of the death of his son, "It's so sad. I hated that it happened. He was so young. I'm sort of in shock right now." According to Extra, Billy Smith had not seen his son since Daniel was two years old and last spoke to his ex-wife in 1996.

Smith, who earlier this year won a U.S. Supreme Court decision to claim her stake in the will of her late husband, billionaire J. Marshall Howard, has not publicly named the father of her second child.

AP Panther Fan
09-12-2006, 04:00 PM
No matter how much we all dislike "the momma" this is a sad story.

The young man must have had a tough life .:(

Technoredneck
09-12-2006, 04:30 PM
First story I read on it said she was the one that found him and called the doctors. Tragic death to say the least.

AP Panther Fan
09-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
First story I read on it said she was the one that found him and called the doctors. Tragic death to say the least.

Yes, this morning on the Today Show it said she was the one trying to resuscitate him. :(

olddawggreen
09-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Reguardless of what some may think of the mother, it is a terrible thing to lose a child. My prayers go out to Anna Nicole and all that are affected by this tragedy.

Chief Woodman
09-12-2006, 05:32 PM
A parnet should never have to bury their child.