PDA

View Full Version : Sad news in Jasper

spiveyrat
09-12-2006, 11:14 AM
I just saw on the Southeast Texas site that Coach Spoon passed away. I know no other details. :bigcry:

Big loss in Jasper! My thoughts and prayers are with the family. :(

JasperDog94
09-12-2006, 11:22 AM
WOW! Didn't see that one coming.:(

spiveyrat
09-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
WOW! Didn't see that one coming.:(

Yeah, pretty well blindsided me too.

Astrosdawg07
09-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I just saw on the Southeast Texas site that Coach Spoon passed away. I know no other details. :bigcry:

Big loss in Jasper! My thoughts and prayers are with the family. :(

Yes this was a huge loss espedially for us students. I know for sure that he impacted not only my life but any students who had any dealings w/ him. We are awaiting the results of the autopsy for the cause of death. Rumor has it that it was either a heart attack or west nile. But those are just rumors right now, stay tuned and I will up date when the results come back.

LH Panther Mom
09-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Sorry to hear this news. My prayers go out to his family, the Jasper community and school.

pirate4state
09-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat

Big loss in Jasper! My thoughts and prayers are with the family. :( Was he still a coach at Jasper?? Either way, still very sad. My prayers are with his family and the community of Jasper.

Astrosdawg07
09-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Was he still a coach at Jasper?? Either way, still very sad. My prayers are with his family and the community of Jasper.

Not only still a coach but still a teacher also.

JHS_c/o_06'
09-12-2006, 11:45 AM
he was such a loveable guy. Anyone who was around him couldnt help but like him. My best memory of coach spoon was my junior year when for some reason, after the buna game, coach lauve thought it would be a good idea to leave buna before we all had a chance to get on the bus. And our only way back wad riding in the explorer with coach spoon. But coach spoon was in charge of all the camera equipment that was on top of the press box. Well....lol....it was fixing to start raining and thunderstorming (is that a word?) so he was in a hurry. For those of you who didnt know coach spoon, we was a big guy, so he pretty much ran up a ladder and called us over there. All we heard was " Here ya go." and he just started chunking camera equipment and camera boxes at us. lol. so we got everything in the car before it started to storm. And it was a short drive back, but he had us laughing the entire time. Everyday since then (before i graduated) i would come around the corner in the mornings and he would be standing there with Mr. Marken and Mr. Simmons and i would stop and talk to him. It would be really hard having to go to school every day and not get to do that. One of the guys i played with called me at 8 this morning to tell me what had happened. And it pretty much ruined my day. Im pretty sure alot if not all of my graduating class of football players are coming home this weekend. Part of our family has gone home, so i think its only right for us to be there to send him off. Love ya Coach Spoon.

BMOC
09-12-2006, 11:48 AM
That is sad news. :(

pirate4state
09-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
he was such a loveable guy. Anyone who was around him couldnt help but like him. My best memory of coach spoon was my junior year when for some reason, after the buna game, coach lauve thought it would be a good idea to leave buna before we all had a chance to get on the bus. And our only way back wad riding in the explorer with coach spoon. But coach spoon was in charge of all the camera equipment that was on top of the press box. Well....lol....it was fixing to start raining and thunderstorming (is that a word?) so he was in a hurry. For those of you who didnt know coach spoon, we was a big guy, so he pretty much ran up a ladder and called us over there. All we heard was " Here ya go." and he just started chunking camera equipment and camera boxes at us. lol. so we got everything in the car before it started to storm. And it was a short drive back, but he had us laughing the entire time. Everyday since then (before i graduated) i would come around the corner in the mornings and he would be standing there with Mr. Marken and Mr. Simmons and i would stop and talk to him. It would be really hard having to go to school every day and not get to do that. One of the guys i played with called me at 8 this morning to tell me what had happened. And it pretty much ruined my day. Im pretty sure alot if not all of my graduating class of football players are coming home this weekend. Part of our family has gone home, so i think its only right for us to be there to send him off. Love ya Coach Spoon.

This is a beautiful post!! :clap:

Bulldog_12
09-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Sad times in Jasper. My dad called this morning to tell me the news. Great, Great man and will be missed by many. My prayers go out to his family. This should serve as a reminder to us all to live life to the fullest because you never know when it might be your time.

JasperDog94
09-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
he was such a loveable guy. Anyone who was around him couldnt help but like him. My best memory of coach spoon was my junior year when for some reason, after the buna game, coach lauve thought it would be a good idea to leave buna before we all had a chance to get on the bus. And our only way back wad riding in the explorer with coach spoon. But coach spoon was in charge of all the camera equipment that was on top of the press box. Well....lol....it was fixing to start raining and thunderstorming (is that a word?) so he was in a hurry. For those of you who didnt know coach spoon, we was a big guy, so he pretty much ran up a ladder and called us over there. All we heard was " Here ya go." and he just started chunking camera equipment and camera boxes at us. lol. so we got everything in the car before it started to storm. And it was a short drive back, but he had us laughing the entire time. Everyday since then (before i graduated) i would come around the corner in the mornings and he would be standing there with Mr. Marken and Mr. Simmons and i would stop and talk to him. It would be really hard having to go to school every day and not get to do that. One of the guys i played with called me at 8 this morning to tell me what had happened. And it pretty much ruined my day. Im pretty sure alot if not all of my graduating class of football players are coming home this weekend. Part of our family has gone home, so i think its only right for us to be there to send him off. Love ya Coach Spoon. Those of you that teach/coach/or otherwise educate our kids:

Never underestimate the impact that you have on the lives of our youth. There are sooooo many stories just like this.

Tiger Baseball
09-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
This is a beautiful post!! :clap:

:clap: :clap:

Technoredneck
09-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Obviously a man who lived large and will leave a large hole in many lives. Try to remember the good time that he gave you I am sure that is what he would have wanted. Our prayers to his family, kids, & school.

Sinton94
09-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a great man indeed! Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and school.

JasperDog94
09-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Coach Spoon was only 52 years old.:(

spiveyrat
09-12-2006, 02:36 PM

WAAAAAAYYYYY before his time!

spiveyrat
09-12-2006, 02:39 PM
http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=746498&CategoryID=18335&on=1

kepdawg
09-12-2006, 06:03 PM
:weeping:

This sucks!

Jasper's Website (http://www.jasperisd.net/)

The JISD family mourns the loss of Coach Lloyd Weatherspoon. Coach "Spoon", teacher and track coach at Jasper High School, died this morning at his home. If you would like to share a memory or leave a message for the family, click here: jisdcares@jasperisd.net

The Lloyd Weatherspoon Memorial Cross Country Meet will be held at Jasper High School on Saturday, September 16

olin
09-12-2006, 06:43 PM
I coached with Spoon for several years. He was a great person and always put the welfare of the kids first. He will be missed by the school and community. But the greatest loss besides to his family is what the young people in the community are losing. I love you Spoon and I know you are in a better place. My prayers are with Lillie and Trias.
Charlie Carmichael

Paratrooper
09-12-2006, 07:28 PM

Wow that is young!! Did he pass away from a heart attack? Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and the entire Jasper community. By the post I read he must have touched a lot of lives.

sinton66
09-12-2006, 07:55 PM
thoughts and prayers from the 66 household go out to his family, friends, and all those who knew him.

olddawggreen
09-12-2006, 08:06 PM
My prayers go out to Coach Spoon's family and all of those who's lives were touched by him. God Bless.

Astrosdawg07
09-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by olin
I coached with Spoon for several years. He was a great person and always put the welfare of the kids first. He will be missed by the school and community. But the greatest loss besides to his family is what the young people in the community are losing. I love you Spoon and I know you are in a better place. My prayers are with Lillie and Trias.
Charlie Carmichael

Coach I know Coach Spoon is reading this and is a very proud man by your post...

LHS PRIDE
09-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Our hearts and prayers from La Grange.

kepdawg
09-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Okay, the initial feelings of shock and wanting to break something have subsided enough for me to collect my thoughts.

As a young boy the importance of having a strong male role model in your life cannot be understated. Although I never had the privilege of being a student or athlete under Lloyd Weatherspoon he was one of those men in my life. As a young boy on several occasions I had the luxury of spending time in the coaches’ offices, at practices, and on the sidelines. He is an inspiration to those who knew him. He was the man that boys desire to become. He is an icon in the Jasper community and is the essence and definition of a Jasper Bulldog. Coach Spoon was a man’s man and a coach’s coach. Coach Spoon will be missed, but not forgotten. His legacy lives on through the lives of everyone that had the privilege to encounter him. And what a privilege an encounter with Coach Spoon was! I am a better man today because of my encounters with Coach Spoon. Thanks for everything Coach Spoon! We love you!

j_dog
09-12-2006, 10:27 PM
My condolences to his family. He was a giant in his field. He did something for Jasper athletics that few others have accomplished. Win state.

His track teams won 4a state championships in 1985, 1991, and 1997. And his other teams finished in the top four so many times that I long ago lost count. His last second place finish was in 2003 to Atlanta by only 3 points.

I only met him once, but I could tell he was something special. It was at the 1991 Region III meet. The timing device had just "mal-functioned" and Jasper was arbitrarily awarded first place in the 400m relays officially at 40.2 seconds I think it was. I asked him who was the fastest relay team nationally. Without batting an eye, he said Jasper. Two weeks later the Jasper boys set a new national 400m relay record at 39.9 seconds at the 4a state meet. To this date, I still believe that the timing device at Regional had not mal-functioned. I think the officials did not believe what they had just seen, and refused to document an unbelieveable time.

Coach Spoon will be missed in so many ways. It is a cliche that anyone can be replaced, but Coach Spoon has left some mighty big shoes to fill.

Fish's mom
09-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Prayers from Ingleside to all those lives he touched. May God Bless them through the bad time and help them remember the best times.