PDA

View Full Version : Darn, someone noticed!!

CHS_Grad '85
09-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Updated Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Bowen: Caldwell reversing fortunes

By LARRY BOWEN
Eagle Sports Writer

At this time last year, the Caldwell football team was off to a wobbly start.

The Hornets were 1-1 through two games under new coach Dale Williams, with a lopsided loss and a win over a team from a lower classification. Caldwell lost its next five games before putting together a three-game win streak to finish the season at 4-6.

Time and expectations got the best of the Hornets, who began last season ranked 15th in the state but went through a late coaching change when Rick Cobia resigned in July and Williams was promoted from defensive coordinator.

"To be perfectly honest, I don't believe there was enough commitment level in order for us to stand up to the predictions," Williams said.

This year, the Hornets just might rise above the predictions.

Caldwell has roared to a 2-0 start, rolling over Class 4A Elgin, 47-6, and then thumping Rockdale, 27-0, last week.

Funny how much better things work when you have a year to implement your program instead of a few weeks.

"A lot of this goes into last November and December," Williams said. "As the season ended, we talked to our kids that were coming back about the things that we needed to do to find a way to get back. It's a work in progress, but the attitude is changing."

Williams spent three years as Caldwell's defensive coordinator, and his unit led the state in yards allowed as the Hornets went 10-2 and reached the second round of the playoffs in 2004.

Taking over for Cobia and having to piece together a staff so late left Williams with little choice but to keep the system in place and patch things together.

After the season, he revamped his staff, promoting Travis Grubbs to offensive coordinator and bringing in three new assistants.

The Hornets are nasty again on defense, allowing just 165 yards in two games, and they are having fun running their version of the wing-T offense.

Caldwell didn't put a player on The Eagle's preseason All-Brazos Valley Team, but if the Hornets keep playing like this, they will push for spots on the postseason team.

Williams calls it a no-name defense, but any group holding teams to 82.5 yards per game deserves notice. Veteran defensive end David Requena and cornerback David Waters have gotten plenty of help from linebackers Justin Zimmerhanzel and Adam Supak, along with safety Zo Hawkins.

On offense, Danny Deere already has rushed for 241 yards and five touchdowns in two games. Transfer Xavier Canto ran for 195 yards and two touchdowns in the opener.

Williams spreads the credit among his coaches and his kids, but the head coach deserves credit, too. He didn't give up on himself, or on the Hornets.

"I never doubted my coaching ability," Williams said. "I may have doubted what I got myself into. It was almost like walking into a hornets' nest sometimes.

"This year we've gotten off to a wonderful start. The kids have really bought into what we're about. It's a great feeling."

• Larry Bowen's e-mail address is larry.bowen@theeagle.com.

pirate4state
09-12-2006, 09:07 AM
:clap: :clap: Nice write up!! Congrats to the Hornets!!

CHS_Grad '85
09-12-2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.thisboardrocks.com/forum/images/smilies/bump.gif