PDA

View Full Version : 3A kids stars of game: Tech vs. UTEP

g$$
09-12-2006, 05:10 AM
Saw the replay Monday night of Texas Tech's overtime win 38-35 vs. UTEP on CSTV. Great game & Mike Price has to be kicking himself for going for two so early in the game. I always adhere to the old saying "don't go for 2 until you have to" because you end up leaving points out there & then trying to make them up later. His kicker did miss an early PAT though. Price is doing a great job @ UTEP after the Alabama fiasco. Anyway, these 2 really had outstanding games:

Darcel McBath (Gainesville), safety = had 2 INTs & a solid game; lots of tackles; 2nd pick was in OT & then Tech kicked FG to win it.

Johnnie Lee Higgins, Jr. (Sweeny), WR / returner = had 13 receptions for 162 yds. & 2 TDs; recovered onside kick; Tech kicked away from him all night too on punts & kick-offs.

Announcers (Brian Jones & some guy who looked 12 named Carter Blackburn) said Higgins now ranks Top 5 nationally for active players with 22 career TD receptions & counting (made All C-USA last year). Also said he has run a 4.18 hand-timed 40 & the pro scouts love him for his blazing speed & athleticism. Even if that's exaggerated a bit, he's a legit 4.3 guy who should get drafted fairly high as a receiver / return man.

UTEP LB from Mathis (Cavullo??) also played well. Others may know more about him. Way to go 3A kids & sorry if I missed someone.

Blastoderm55
09-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Troy Collavo, from Mathis. A vital cog in the Pirates' trip to the 1999 State Championship game. Starting at middle linebacker for UTEP, I believe.

Adidas4I0s
09-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Higgins had a flat top right out of the late 80's/early 90's...

cowboyfan8
09-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Justin Hanel DT UTEP is a Cameron Yoemen. SR. Starter. Good Luck Miners!!

big daddy russ
09-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Price is doing a great job @ UTEP after the Alabama fiasco.
That was dumb on their part, IMO. They get one of the most coveted coaches in the nation, then fire him just because he goes to a strip club. Not that I'm condoning going to those places, just saying that he was the victim of a PR nightmare and the college flaked instead of thinking to themselves, "this is a really stupid reason to fire him."

Damn, I hate 'Bama.

crabman
09-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Andy Smith #61 Giddings High School

I don't know how much he is playing. I know his dad.

g$$
09-13-2006, 02:35 AM
Yes, Higgins was sporting a flat-top fade circa 1988, Kid 'n Play, etc. #3 Sam for UTEP (FSU transfer) had a huge afro, like Oscar Gamble had back in the '70s playing baseball. I seriously don't know how he fits it inside a helmet. They said the guys wanted to bring back the old look!! Jordan Palmer had a handlebar mustache going. Whatever, guess they are just having some fun.

Glad to see these 3A kids doing well on the big stage of college football.