PDA

View Full Version : Time to Worry About Rice Horn Fans

Phil C
09-11-2006, 07:37 PM
This is a big game and remember the game is in Houston where Rice always plays extra tough. We must forget Ohio State and take one game at a time starting with the Owls which may be very tough. Remember in Coach Royal's second year at UT in 1958 we went to play Rice in Houston ranked No. 4 in the country and Rice beat us 34 to 7. In 1962 they scored a fourth quarter td to tie us 14 to 14 which cost us an MNC. In fact as recent as 1994 they beat us 19 to 17 in Houston so we must be focused and cautious and careful. Rice has a dynamic new coach plus Major Applewhite is now coaching there too as an assistant coach. That increases the risk.

Adidas4I0s
09-11-2006, 07:39 PM
scary times indeed!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maroon87
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
True, true...

Txbroadcaster
09-11-2006, 07:44 PM
I wish someone would give Phil C some valium because good god the stuff he spews about bad teaqms being a threat is getting OLD

I can see it now

This week Texas takes on the Blind and deaf school..this could be a tough game because one of the kids can ALMOST see, and another one can hear sounds...those two could be a duo that can cause trouble for the Horns.

Phil it is Rice..they are in year one of a building program, can they one day MAYBE be a team that causes problems..yes..but not this year, and ESPECIALLY playing Texas after a loss.

Texas 56
Rice 14

Snydertigersrul
09-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I wish someone would give Phil C some valium because good god the stuff he spews about bad teaqms being a threat is getting OLD

I can see it now

This week Texas takes on the Blind and deaf school..this could be a tough game because one of the kids can ALMOST see, and another one can hear sounds...those two could be a duo that can cause trouble for the Horns.

Phil it is Rice..they are in year one of a building program, can they one day MAYBE be a team that causes problems..yes..but not this year, and ESPECIALLY playing Texas after a loss.

Texas 56
Rice 14

This game won't be as competitive as the Longhorns will get from their scout team in practice.

RMAC
09-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Phil, you always make me laugh. Me and Forrest were saying some of the stuff you say on here to each other on the phone the other night and we couldn't stop laughing.

sinton66
09-11-2006, 09:46 PM

I can see it now

Texas 56
Rice 14

LOL, Phil has been appointed as our wake-up call "worrier".;)

injuredinmelee
09-11-2006, 10:43 PM
phil c had to have been a coach back in the day. He sound slike Frank Beamer on the radio before their first game this year against some complete joke school, talking about how good they are and they could easily jump up and bite them. Suckovich was coaching when Rice last beat UT and I can promise you that wont happen under Mack Brown. Suckovich couldnt motivate a teenage boy with a playboy.

CalallenWildcat
09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Yes and Sam Houston State looks dangerous as well :rolleyes:

WOS87
09-11-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm a Rice alum and even I have to lol at that one... :nerd:
I still have my 25th Annual Tuck Fexas T-Shirt from 1990 celebrating Rice's 25th consecutive loss to the Longhorns that year.... Rice has now lost to UT 35 out of the past 36 meetings dating back to 1965

PHS Wildcats
09-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Can't wait to see that Phil C has for us when we play Sam Houston:clap:

District303aPastPlayer
09-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Rice has some South Texas ties.
Biolaye Bio Benibo from Calallen
and Bubba Heard (#26 in NCAA07) playing Cornerback

WestTXLonghorn
09-12-2006, 01:07 AM
We don't fumble on the 2. . .Colt doesn't throw than horrid INT and people are talking about us rolling over Rice as usual.

Phil. . .take it easy. . .get out the brown paper bag and breath bro. . .everything will be ok.

g$$
09-12-2006, 06:03 AM
Easy on Phil C. He makes some very valid points. Yes, Texas will win but Rice is much improved under a new coaching staff, refurbished stadium, & lots of new energy. This game will be played at Reliant Stadium I realize, but Rice Stadium looks the best it has looked in my lifetime. New turf, new scoreboard, new video screen, new metal bleachers, fresh paint, etc. Great place to watch a game btw w/ awesome sight lines & no bad seats.

Rice had UH beaten, made 2 big kicking game mistakes, & lost by one point in their opener 31-30. Last weekend they lost to UCLA 26-16 at the Rose Bowl, but their 3rd string QB sparked them in the 2nd half & made it close. They think 1st stringer Chase Clement will play this week. I'm not pumping Rice up, just saying they are playing much better under the new staff. They just lack big-time athletes. The question is how much of a hangover (if any) will Texas have entering this game? I think Texas wins of course, but they may not cover the 29.5 point spread.

Phil C
09-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Rice has some South Texas ties.
Biolaye Bio Benibo from Calallen
and Bubba Heard (#26 in NCAA07) playing Cornerback

I have seen Bubba play when he was in Sinton. That increases the risk even more. That young man is very fast.

Phil C
09-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats

One game at at time though PHS. Right now Rice must be worried about. Remember 1958 and 1962. :(

injuredinmelee
09-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
One game at at time though PHS. Right now Rice must be worried about. Remember 1958 and 1962. :(

1958 my dad was 10 my mom 8...
1962 my dad was 14 my mom 12...

Even with Applewhite as the OC they dont have a prayer and obviously Major is the greatest _________ (insert your word here) of all time.

BrahmaMom
09-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Don't underestimate this Rice team. Your new QB and their injured QB kinda even things out. Sure the Texas line is bigger and there is more talent and size. But Rice has heart and a new-found confidence that could take UT to task.

Adidas4I0s
09-12-2006, 09:36 AM
any other year...and the spread of 30 is just BEGGING for action. This year...it's harder to say though.

pirate4state
09-12-2006, 09:44 AM

I can see it now

Texas 56
Rice 14

ROFL! Funny stuff. Phil is just being Phil. ;)

KTJ
09-12-2006, 09:57 AM
I wonder what goes through Phil's mind when he makes posts like this.

And Phil, were you flying that burnt orange car flag on Saturday? Methinks you forgot it.

Adidas4I0s
09-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats

(in my best Phil C speak)

Two words...Rhett Bomar. http://www.gobearkats.com/football/fbmugs/bomar_rhett.jpg

At any moment, it is possible that the NCAA could clear him of violations for accepting money from a donor...and we all know what kind of talent he has. Not to mention the fact that he previously played for Oklahoma, a longtime bitter rival of Texas, and he would love nothing more than to lead his team to victory against the burnt orange. We must not be quick to forget his mesmerizing performance in the Red River Shootout last October (12 of 33, 99 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT and 12 carries for 9 yds) because after that game he went on to lead the Sooners to wins over Kansas, Baylor, and Texas A&M.

It gets even scarier when we realize that Sam Houston State has 10 players that are former D1 players...including 7 that were members of Big 12 schools. This fact alone presents a unique challenge for the Longhorns so they must bring their "A" game to the field and make sure that they keep their composure at all times during practice and the game.

Finally, who can forget the Bearkats magical run in the Division II playoffs in 2004 when they Western Kentucky and Eastern Washington before falling in the semifinals to Montana in an epic 34-13 thriller. If not for this game having been played in Missoula, Montana in front of an absolutely raucous crowd (sadly...I wasn't able to attend this one but I did drive around Sinton with my SHSU flag on my car)...the Bearkats would have likely been able to pull out the victory on neutral or home field.

As Longhorn fans, we must not overlook the mighty Bearkats of Sam Houston State. The team needs our support more than ever to encourage them to practice hard, trust their coaches, and perform at their absolute best on Saturday. Without doing all of these things...I fear that an upset is possible in Austin. Scary times indeed!!! :eek: :eek:

Txbroadcaster
09-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Adidas4I0s

Two words...Rhett Bomar. http://www.gobearkats.com/football/fbmugs/bomar_rhett.jpg

At any moment, it is possible that the NCAA could clear him of violations for accepting money from a donor...and we all know what kind of talent he has. Not to mention the fact that he previously played for Oklahoma, a longtime bitter rival of Texas, and he would love nothing more than to lead his team to victory against the burnt orange. We must not be quick to forget his mesmerizing performance in the Red River Shootout last October (12 of 33, 99 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT and 12 carries for 9 yds) because after that game he went on to lead the Sooners to wins over Kansas, Baylor, and Texas A&M.

It gets even scarier when we realize that Sam Houston State has 10 players that are former D1 players...including 7 that were members of Big 12 schools. This fact alone presents a unique challenge for the Longhorns so they must bring their "A" game to the field and make sure that they keep their composure at all times during practice and the game.

Finally, who can forget the Bearkats magical run in the Division II playoffs in 2004 when they Western Kentucky and Eastern Washington before falling in the semifinals to Montana in an epic 34-13 thriller. If not for this game having been played in Missoula, Montana in front of an absolutely raucous crowd (sadly...I wasn't able to attend this one but I did drive around Sinton with my SHSU flag on my car)...the Bearkats would have likely been able to pull out the victory on neutral or home field.

As Longhorn fans, we must not overlook the mighty Bearkats of Sam Houston State. The team needs our support more than ever to encourage them to practice hard, trust their coaches, and perform at their absolute best on Saturday. Without doing all of these things...I fear that an upset is possible in Austin. Scary times indeed!!! :eek: :eek:

Still to positive..but in the right direction

Adidas4I0s
09-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Still to positive..but in the right direction

it's positive towards the bearkats. Phil is the eternal optimist...but with a heavy dose of skewing positive and often irrelevent information in a way that advises the Longhorns to always proceed with caution.

Phil C
09-12-2006, 11:16 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Man this guy sounds more like me than me! :)

SintonFan
09-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
1958 my dad was 10 my mom 8...
1962 my dad was 14 my mom 12...

Your dad met your mom when he was 10?:eek:

Adidas4I0s
09-12-2006, 12:48 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Man this guy sounds more like me than me! :)

RMAC wasn't kidding when him and I will start talking in "Phil C speak" sometimes! ;)

Adidas4I0s
09-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Your dad met your mom when he was 10?:eek:

get 'em young and teach 'em your way!

EricDraven
09-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Epic 34-13 thriller?

Is the score a misprint or did SHSU give up 21 points in the last minute or something?:thinking:

JasperDog94
09-12-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm thinking it's going to be an "Instant Classic".:)

SintonFan
09-12-2006, 12:59 PM
get 'em young and teach 'em your way!
:eek:
I think injured's silence on this is more worrysome...:(

Adidas410s
09-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by EricDraven
Epic 34-13 thriller?

Is the score a misprint or did SHSU give up 21 points in the last minute or something?:thinking:

lol...let me find Phil's season preview for you and I'll let you decide what you think happened in that game.

Adidas410s
09-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
lol...let me find Phil's season preview for you and I'll let you decide what you think happened in that game.

Here it is in all of it's greatness!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The UT football schedule for 2006 is a challenging one indeed! Remember also teams were always up for UT before but can you imagine now since they are the defending national champions.
I will repeat my analysis for the record. We must remember that UT must stay focused and cautious and careful for all of the games. They are tough.

First we play North Texas! Very dangerous indeed. Two years ago NT recruited an outstanding defensive lineman who will now be a sophomore so this team may be ready to be dangersous.

Then Ohio State comes to town and they will have an improved offense with their qb back. Fortunately, they lost some of their great linebackers but they will be tough. Fortunately the game is in Austin but it will be tough. Remember they whipped Ohio State in a bowl game recently.

Next we go to Rice in Houston!
:eek: This always scares me because in 1962 Rice tied us 14 to 14 and cost us a national championship. Rice is tough in Houston. Plus they have a new dynamic coach. And don't forget Major is there now. That increases the risk.

Next Iowa State comes and remember they almost beat Colorado out of the Northern Championship last year. Dangerous and scary indeed!

Next Sam Houston State and we must be careful. This team made the finals in the Division 2 and might have won it had they been the home team or if the game had been on a neutral field. Very risky. We have to be careful.

Then we play Oklahoma in Dallas and the Sooners are mad about last year and Bomar will be a year older and if Adrian is healthy we have to be careful. Fearsome time indeed.

Then we play Baylor who is bound to be improved especially with UT ex Bill Bradley coaching that defense. Very dangerous.

Then we have to go to Nebraska who has done well in recruiting and will be dangerous indeed in Nebraska. The scary thing is that we may have to play them twice if both teams get to the Big 12 Championship.

Then Texas Tech in Lubbock. TT has been tough up there and has pulled off upsets on us there in the past. I remember they did it one time in 1968 just to name one. We have to be careful. They are dangerous indeed.

Then Oklahoma State comes to town. We are indeed fortunate that the game is in Austin. Remember they have had big half time leads over us the past two years. Very scary.

Then we have to go to Kansas State who is dangerous and have had some top ten teams the past several years. We must be ready and careful.

Then we play Texas A&M which fortunately is in Austin but remember the scare they put on us last year. We must be careful with this dangerous team.

And all this is just during the regular season which is probably the toughest in the land indeed.

SintonFan
09-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Someone seriously needs to start a topic on their favorite "Philisms". The guy is a freakin genius...:clap: :)

Adidas410s
09-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Someone seriously needs to start a topic on their favorite "Philisms". The guy is a freakin genius...:clap: :)

I wanna write his biography some day. It's kinda of like the book Tuesdays With Maurie. We'll call it Downlow With Phil. The preface would be titled "Show Some Compassion :mad:...the chapters would be "The Mighty Texas Longhorns", "The Old and Forgotten: Never Before Heard of Old Western Movies", "My Bike Ride Through France (as seen on OLN), and the last chapter would be "Women's Sports: You Don't Know What You've Been Missing" (a chapter with commentary by Cat Osterman and "Riflearm")

;) ;)

SintonFan
09-12-2006, 01:16 PM
I wanna write his biography some day. It's kinda of like the book Tuesdays With Maurie. We'll call it Downlow With Phil. The preface would be titled "Show Some Compassion :mad:...the chapters would be "The Mighty Texas Longhorns", "The Old and Forgotten: Never Before Heard of Old Western Movies", "My Bike Ride Through France (as seen on OLN), and the last chapter would be "Women's Sports: You Don't Know What You've Been Missing" (a chapter with commentary by Cat Osterman and "Riflearm")

;) ;)
Looks good but you might not be qualified as you forgot all about "Dawn at Socorro".
:p That would definately have to be on the cover.;)

Adidas410s
09-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Looks good but you might not be qualified as you forgot all about "Dawn at Socorro".
:p That would definately have to be on the cover.;)

that would fall under the "The Old and Forgotten" chapter! ;)

Give me a few minutes and I'll put together a possible cover image...yes it's a LONNNG day at work!

JasperDog94
09-12-2006, 01:31 PM
You forgot "The Best NBA Finals We've Ever Had"

Adidas410s
09-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
You forgot "The Best NBA Finals We've Ever Had"
correction...that would be the WNBA finals! ;)

JasperDog94
09-12-2006, 01:34 PM
No remember when the Spurs won a couple of years back? That's all he said for a year.

Adidas410s
09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
No, remember when the Spurs won? That's all he said for a year.

ahh...gotcha. I can put the WNBA under the women's chapter. And I can't forget him talking about driving around town with his Spurs flag on during the Spurs/Mavs series.

Maybe we could have a special chapter called "Me and My Flag: The Best Moments in Sports History" and it would include commentary from Vince Young and Tim Duncan. It would highlight the UT and Spurs Championships.

JasperDog94
09-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Maybe we could have a special chapter called "Me and My Flag: The Best Moments in Sports History" and it would include commentary from Vince Young and Tim Duncan. It would highlight the UT and Spurs Championships. :clap: :clap: :clap: :crazy1: :crazy1:

pirate4state
09-12-2006, 01:40 PM
ahh...gotcha. I can put the WNBA under the women's chapter. And I can't forget him talking about driving around town with his Spurs flag on during the Spurs/Mavs series.

Maybe we could have a special chapter called "Me and My Flag: The Best Moments in Sports History" and it would include commentary from Vince Young and Tim Duncan. It would highlight the UT and Spurs Championships. LOL!! :clap: Can't wait!! :thumbsup:

SintonFan
09-12-2006, 01:46 PM

Maybe we could have a special chapter called "Me and My Flag: The Best Moments in Sports History" and it would include commentary from Vince Young and Tim Duncan. It would highlight the UT and Spurs Championships.
roflmao...:clap:

KTJ
09-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Phil is more popular than Oprah.

Adidas410s
09-12-2006, 01:59 PM
I've got it now...the epilogue would be "my life in pictures" and would look something like this:

(The first pic would be the Sinton Godfather logo but I can't see that file at work to steal the URL)

http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/classics/images/godfather.gif

http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/3/b70-1756

http://cdn.channel.aol.com/channels/03/03/43bd4c81-00287-03c1e-400cb8e1

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/phf-aafr018.jpg

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/so3ip6hh.jpg

http://www.thespoof.com/picstore/sport/lance-armstrong.gif

http://www.texassports.com/image_lib/alaniz_adrian_031006_300.jpg

http://mirrorimageorigin.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/69pbwog5.jpg

http://mkness.home.texas.net/texas_soccer/photos/Year2005/Img014_PregameHuddle.jpg

http://www.collegefootballart.com/spirit_photos/img43cc548fd1655-uscsong.jpg

Phil C
09-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Thank you all for your kindness! I loved all the ideas! But you gave me too much credit when you called me genius because I took the IQ test over 30 years ago and only scored 144 on the first test and 142 on the second test. It must be pointed out I was familiar with the questions they asked such as hat is to head as glove is to hand type questions plus pictures that worked in a smilar way and also if all ps are qs and some qs are zs then all zs are ps. Well you get the idea. And I know after 30 years that I would probably not score as high. But thanks for the VOC everyone! Great ideas and please keep them coming.