PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Town "Bandwagon"?

Bullaholic
09-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Do the fans in your team's town "bandwagon", i.e, do the crowds drop a lot when the team loses and grow a bunch when they win?

The Bridgeport crowd does not significantly "drop off" when they are losing, stays pretty constant even in "away" games, and does grow pretty well in the playoffs because of the support of our "friends and neighbors" of other teams.

coach
09-11-2006, 04:28 PM
holy crap yes. im from fairfield and our basketball teamlast year went 29-6 and before the season we had no onoe at the games by the end of the year you couldnt by a ticket. we eventually lost to lavega in the 3rd round. we shot 6-21 from the charity stripe and at the end of the year our town was calling for the coaches head. thats rediculas 29 wins and you want to get him fired it shows how ignorant people are

Bulldog_12
09-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah. My senior year (2003, the year we lost all those studs), we got throttled by PNG at home. Nobody came to the games until we made the playoffs and played Burnet in the SemiFinals.

footballgal
09-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Well in Port Isabel, it's been a while in a “feasting” season, but after experiencing a sub par season last year and a slow start year this year, we'll find out soon enough how the “famine” will affect us. :thinking: I for one will be around regardless. :)

Adidas4I0s
09-11-2006, 04:35 PM
hmm...you must be thinking about Graham here Bull ;)

carter08
09-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Griggs Field is always filled up

Buckeye80
09-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Never a drop off for the Buckeyes during football season. Buckeye Stadium is CRAZY, as anyone there Friday night can attest.

VWG
09-11-2006, 04:58 PM
I think winning brings out more fans... without a doubt.
At home games you've got parents, relatives, students, and the real HS football fan. When a team wins you get the "sittin' at the house on Friday night fan" coming to the games. When you lose this guy is back at the house.

You want real fans? Go see somebody at a high school baseball game that doesn't know anybody playing. That guy/gal loves the sport, as that is probably the least attended sport of the "big three".

mwynn05
09-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by coach
holy crap yes. im from fairfield and our basketball teamlast year went 29-6 and before the season we had no onoe at the games by the end of the year you couldnt by a ticket. we eventually lost to lavega in the 3rd round. we shot 6-21 from the charity stripe and at the end of the year our town was calling for the coaches head. thats rediculas 29 wins and you want to get him fired it shows how ignorant people are PRetty much says it all but to add to what he said they blame coaching but they tell their kids not to listen and crap like that instead of being supportive when the coach DOES know what hes doing then they wanna complain

Old Tiger
09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Rockdale is the #1 town for bandwagon fan

pirate4state
09-11-2006, 05:14 PM
I don't know why, but I was surprised at the lack of fans at the Gp game. To answer your question....YES!

Technoredneck
09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
I will be surprised this year if all teams don't see some falloff of fans at away games. With the price of gasoline staying as high as it has for so long I think a lot of the "senior" fans on fixed income might find it a little more difficult to travel as much. I really expect to see a big drop in Snyder's travel base this year, partly due to fuel prices and partly due to the longer road trips due to the new district alignment. But I know that season tickets at Tiger Stadium are higher than ever, only a handful of homeside seats remain and most tickets bought game by game have to sit on the opponents side of the stadium.

eagles_victory
09-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by coach
holy crap yes. im from fairfield and our basketball teamlast year went 29-6 and before the season we had no onoe at the games by the end of the year you couldnt by a ticket. we eventually lost to lavega in the 3rd round. we shot 6-21 from the charity stripe and at the end of the year our town was calling for the coaches head. thats rediculas 29 wins and you want to get him fired it shows how ignorant people are Fairfield is terrible about jumping on the banwagon and there is plenty of room on the football banwagon right now its pretty much empty after our first 2 games

Snydertigersrul
09-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
I will be surprised this year if all teams don't see some falloff of fans at away games. With the price of gasoline staying as high as it has for so long I think a lot of the "senior" fans on fixed income might find it a little more difficult to travel as much. I really expect to see a big drop in Snyder's travel base this year, partly due to fuel prices and partly due to the longer road trips due to the new district alignment. But I know that season tickets at Tiger Stadium are higher than ever, only a handful of homeside seats remain and most tickets bought game by game have to sit on the opponents side of the stadium.

The number of fans may drop off for road games, but not necessarily because of gas prices. In fact, gas prices are coming down. I heard in some areas that it's down to $2.20 a gallon (which is still high). Starting the season 0--2 may affect it along with travel to non-district games. Travel has not increased to district games (Greenwood approximately 85 miles, Andrews 100 miles and Lamesa 60 miles, all one way). Winning will put fans in the seats. And yes, the homeside is sold out for the season at Tiger Stadium.

3afan
09-11-2006, 06:16 PM
all towns bandwagon to some extent - all of 'em, no exceptions

yes, even ______________

LHMom
09-11-2006, 06:18 PM
A little early to say just yet. LH has had a lot of success the past several years and our community spirit has definitely grown. You have to get to the games real early to get a decent seat. Hopefully we won't find out for quite a while what happens when the team has a bad year!

Gobbla2001
09-11-2006, 06:38 PM
I remember after a not so great season in '96 that the Cuero fans were still filling up the seats in '97... had an 11-3 season, then the next year had an 11-4 season, then the next year we had an 8-4 season... the next year it was still full, but maybe missing about 20 on road games (which is a small dent)...

In '01 the team went 6-4, but people were still coming to the games... in '02 after an 0-4 start the fans were still there, there and away...

the only thing different I've noticed since going 9-2 in '03, 14-1 in '04 and 13-1 last year is that the scrimmages are fillin' up...

CHS_Grad '85
09-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Rockdale is the #1 town for bandwagon fan Sorry but Caldwell has everybody beat... sad but true...