PDA

View Full Version : This is why I hate the national media

Txbroadcaster
09-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Ticked off: Brown faults clock rule in loss to OSU

Add Texas coach Mack Brown to the list of critics of the NCAA's new football clock rules.

Brown said Monday during the weekly Big 12 teleconference that the new rules, which were designed to limit the time of games, hurt the No. 8 Longhorns in Saturday's loss to No. 1 Ohio State.

"They scored with six minutes left and the game was over before we had a chance to do anything," Brown said. "I really hope whoever made these changes will go back and look them over."

Under the rule changes, the clock starts on a kickoff when the ball is kicked, not when the receiving team touches it; and on a first down, when the ball is marked ready for play, not when it is snapped.

Brown said while games are being shortened, the fans are being shortchanged.

"One of the great things about college football is a team's ability to come back," Brown said. "Now that's limited. Our game was 22 minutes shorter. That's a little under 10 percent of our game. That's not fair to our fans. We worry about them sitting there?"

Brown said, at worst, the old rules should be in place for the last two or five minutes of each game.

Of the new rules, Brown said: "I hate it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2583128&POLL256=100000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000

The headline makes it sound like he is soley blaming the new rules..he said it HURT the Horn's chances, not that is was the reason they lost...He said the EXACT same thing the announcers said in game, and a bunch of writers have said since the new rules were in place..But that headline will cause people to say Brown is whining and looking for an excuse

District303aPastPlayer
09-11-2006, 01:30 PM
he said all this before the game, i hope people realize. they were talking about him being against the rule during the week

Adidas410s
09-11-2006, 01:32 PM
I don't mind the kickoff rule...I think that one doesn't make much of a difference. However, I do think that starting the clock on change of possession once the ball is spotted makes an impact. That alone took away at least 1 play from Tech when they were trying to drive down the field to get a winning score in the last minute of the game.

injuredinmelee
09-11-2006, 01:34 PM
That alone took away at least 1 play from Tech when they were trying to drive down the field to get a winning score in the last minute of the game

honestly should they have been in that position in the first place against UTEP?

Ranger Mom
09-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I don't mind the kickoff rule...I think that one doesn't make much of a difference. However, I do think that starting the clock on change of possession once the ball is spotted makes an impact. That alone took away at least 1 play from Tech when they were trying to drive down the field to get a winning score in the last minute of the game.

What is the point of that rulechange anyway?? The change of possession one??

AggieJohn
09-11-2006, 01:36 PM
i think that the new rule changes hurt tech alot

Adidas410s
09-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

to speed up the game. It ends up (on average) running an extra 10 seconds off the clock per possession. Figure there are 20 changes of possession in a game...and then you have 3 1/2 minutes of "unplayed" time in a game that is drained off by this rule. I don't mind the rule...but why not change to 15 minute quarters? :thinking:

Bullaholic
09-11-2006, 01:40 PM
I agree with Txb. Mack has some valid points on this rule for everybody's benefit, but he will be "roasted" by the UT-haters for his timing.

Txbroadcaster
09-11-2006, 01:42 PM
but as mentioned before..he was saying all this BEFORE the game..but your right this is fodder for the haters.

Old Tiger
09-11-2006, 01:57 PM
All that they need to do is limit the commercial breaks.

mwynn05
09-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
All that they need to do is limit the commercial breaks. Suggest that to the networks and they will laugh at you...It's about the $$$

Snydertigersrul
09-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

RM, the purpose of the rule is to shorten the game for the television networks.

MagicMan
09-11-2006, 06:30 PM
maybe they should shorten the 40 minute halftimes

Snydertigersrul
09-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by MagicMan
maybe they should shorten the 40 minute halftimes

The networks would never allow that.

JasperDog94
09-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
The networks would never allow that. This alone tells you who's running the show, and it sure isn't the NCAA.

KTJ
09-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Which is dumber?

The clock rules or expanding the NCAA tourney? (Which they are seriously contemplating doing.)

The NCAA is a joke. I almost want to say the UIL is run more smoothly than the NCAA, but I won't go there.

District303aPastPlayer
09-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Which is dumber?

The clock rules or expanding the NCAA tourney? (Which they are seriously contemplating doing.)

The NCAA is a joke. I almost want to say the UIL is run more smoothly than the NCAA, but I won't go there.

you arent too far off.

Txbroadcaster
09-12-2006, 11:31 AM
The most frustrating thing is that they decided to make rules to shorten game that truly changes what can happen in a game, yet allow the networks to keep there commercial time outs that TRULY extend the game they also have one of the STUPIDEST things and that is..TD, PAT, Commercial...Kick-off....Commercial.

With the new rules, there is a chance TV fans will miss a play, because what will happen is teams will soon learn to have a play called on sideline, run out on the field line up and call a play so there is not a lot of time lost.

As a media guy, I understand the need for sales, and one of the things I would love to see is what they do for Soccer..have ONE sponsor for a game..then you can limit the times they go to commercials..and think how much they could charge for that, and there would be a TON of companies wanting to be the sponsor, which would result in a bidding war, and they would end up making FAR more than with multiple sponsors.

JasperDog94
09-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Shhhhhh...you're making too much sense.;)

pirate4state
09-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The most frustrating thing is that they decided to make rules to shorten game that truly changes what can happen in a game, yet allow the networks to keep there commercial time outs that TRULY extend the game they also have one of the STUPIDEST things and that is..TD, PAT, Commercial...Kick-off....Commercial.

With the new rules, there is a chance TV fans will miss a play, because what will happen is teams will soon learn to have a play called on sideline, run out on the field line up and call a play so there is not a lot of time lost.

As a media guy, I understand the need for sales, and one of the things I would love to see is what they do for Soccer..have ONE sponsor for a game..then you can limit the times they go to commercials..and think how much they could charge for that, and there would be a TON of companies wanting to be the sponsor, which would result in a bidding war, and they would end up making FAR more than with multiple sponsors.

I did notice that there were some plays being missed. They'd come back from commerical and it'd be 3rd down & 7!! :doh: :mad: :mad: