PDA

View Full Version : West Oso -vs- Port Isabel

IHStangFan
09-11-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm looking forward to the outcome of this one. I havent heard much about PI this year so far, so I'm anxious for something to gauge them by. WO has two wins against Zapata and Fal. PI is 0-1 w/ a loss to Raymondville.

I'm going to have to take Phil's Howling Bears by a TD

WO 21
PI 14

99IHSMustang
09-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I'm looking forward to the outcome of this one. I havent heard much about PI this year so far, so I'm anxious for something to gauge them by. WO has two wins against Zapata and Fal. PI is 0-1 w/ a loss to Raymondville.

I'm going to have to take Phil's Howling Bears by a TD

WO 21
PI 14

PI is 0/2... they lost to Edcouch Elsa

Old Tiger
09-11-2006, 02:07 PM
West Oso big!

pirate4state
09-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
PI is 0/2... they lost to Edcouch Elsa They also have some players out with injury. More info here (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50142)

Good Luck to both teams!! :clap:

footballgal
09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Yes we’re 0-2 loosing to 3 time 32-4A district champs Edcouch-Elsa and Raymondville who lost to 2A Premont last week. Which btw, I wouldn’t’ put too much stock on that loss for Raymondville though. PI looked sharp on offense the first two series as we quickly went up by 14-0, but then came those critical turnovers, first one was on their 1 yard line when it sailed over the punters head. We should be able to give WO a game and maybe come out with the win IF we can get at least 1 out of the 3 injured players back like, RB Nolan Nunez back. (Nolan ran for over 170 yards before getting hurt and had 80 something yards, against EE, not including some spectacular KO returns) But most importantly we need to cut down on the turnovers, at least 2 of the 5 were critical ones, that resulted in 14 points. (Deep in Raymondville’s territory) This was the exact same thing that plagued us against E-E. I don’t like this match-up this early in the year. Tarpons are still young, especially in the QB/Center positions (which were struggling with the exchange right now) but, this game will certainly be a good match-up to get us ready for district and hopefully later into the playoffs.

BTW, can someone give the all the teams in WO district?

IHStangFan
09-11-2006, 02:42 PM
hmmm...well, didnt mean to ruffle any feathers, but I'm sticking w/ WO. I've been told that PI isnt the PI we are acustom to. A down year so to speak. Like I said, this game will be the game I use to gauge PI's team. WO is decent. I hope the Mustangs get a chance this year to meet PI. We owe yall ;)
Originally posted by footballgal
Yes we’re 0-2 loosing to 3 time 32-4A district champs Edcouch-Elsa and Raymondville who lost to 2A Premont last week. Which btw, I wouldn’t’ put too much stock on that loss for Raymondville though. PI looked sharp on offense the first two series as we quickly went up by 14-0, but then came those critical turnovers, first one was on their 1 yard line when it sailed over the punters head. We should be able to give WO a game and maybe come out with the win IF we can get at least 1 out of the 3 injured players back like, RB Nolan Nunez back. (Nolan ran for over 170 yards before getting hurt and had 80 something yards, against EE, not including some spectacular KO returns) But most importantly we need to cut down on the turnovers, at least 2 of the 5 were critical ones, that resulted in 14 points. (Deep in Raymondville’s territory) This was the exact same thing that plagued us against E-E. I don’t like this match-up this early in the year. Tarpons are still young, especially in the QB/Center positions (which were struggling with the exchange right now) but, this game will certainly be a good match-up to get us ready for district and hopefully later into the playoffs. ;) ;) :) ;) :D

footballgal
09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
hmmm...well, didnt mean to ruffle any feathers, but I'm sticking w/ WO. I've been told that PI isnt the PI we are acustom to. A down year so to speak. Like I said, this game will be the game I use to gauge PI's team. WO is decent. I hope the Mustangs get a chance this year to meet PI. We owe yall ;) ;) ;) :) ;) :D

lol, no feathers ruffled here. ;) No, not the same PI teams I am accustom to seeing either. If you take away the turnovers the team has better talent than last year, but still young and just need to get it together especially on the Defensive side. Right now, it might be everybody's chance to get one on PI. Raymondville did, and it’s been a while for them. But, a little too early to talk about a Mustang PI rematch, but time will tell us soon enough. Remember, we went 0-5 before we got it somewhat together and still managed to make the playoffs. But on the other hand, the district is ALOT tougher than ever before. La Feria surprised everybody by beating highly favored 4A Mercedes, Hidalgo beat new 4A team Pharr Valley View and Rio Hondo manhandled Lyford. Not to mention the Progreso Red Ants, got their first win of the season and tied their wins from last year, with a win over Brownsville St. Joe.

IHStangFan
09-11-2006, 03:04 PM
lol, no feathers ruffled here. ;) No, the same PI teams I am accustom to seeing either. If you take away the turnovers the team has better talent than last year, but still young and just need to get it together especially on the Defensive side. Right now, it might be everybody's chance to get one on PI. Raymondville did, and it’s been a while for them. But, a little too early to talk about a Mustang PI rematch, but time will tell us soon enough. Remember, we went 0-5 before we got it somewhat together and still managed to make the playoffs. But on the other hand, the district is ALOT tougher than ever before. La Feria surprised everybody by beating highly favored 4A Mercedes, Hidalgo beat new 4A team Pharr Valley View and Rio Hondo manhandled Lyford. Not to mention the Progreso Red Ants, got their first win of the season and tied their wins from last year, with a win over Brownsville St. Joe. yeah it does seem like a couple of the districts in our area are a little up in the air.....the big talk round Mustang Land so I'm told is the Ingleside-Sinton matchup. So far its shaping up to be a GREAT one. you are basically confirming things I've heard about your area so far this year....sounds like the valley has a spark this early season. Should be interesting down there as well. We play Zapata and Fal both in the coming weeks. We have had a history of not being able to get past Zapata....so I'm anxious to see if we will have their number this go-around. Good luck to the Tarpons and hopefully we'll see yall on the playoff trail.

footballgal
09-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Well WO just beat Zapata, so apparently they are very much beatable. We play them next week on the 22nd, in Zapata. (don't look forward to that over 2 hours drive) So is Sinton, Ingleside and West Oso in the same district?

pirate4state
09-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Well WO just beat Zapata, so apparently they are very much beatable. We play them next week on the 22nd, in Zapata. (don't look forward to that over 2 hours drive) So is Sinton, Ingleside and West Oso in the same district? Yes, along with Mathis, Aransas Pass & Orange Grove

footballgal
09-11-2006, 03:16 PM
So far what is the projection for your district, look like?

pirate4state
09-11-2006, 03:27 PM
So far what is the projection for your district, look like? Depends on who you ask. ;) Here is how I see it:

1. Sinton
2. Ingleside
3. West Oso
4. Orange Grove/Aransas Pass/Mathis

footballgal
09-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Well, that's how I would pick it, especially after that win against GP. But now that I see all the teams, I see why the talk is about the Ingleside vs Sinton match-up. That should be the game to watch in district. For some reason I don't remember ALL those teams in the same district. :confused: Was there a change during the re-alignment??

pirate4state
09-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Well, that's how I would pick it, especially after that win against GP. But now that I see all the teams, I see why the talk is about the Ingleside vs Sinton match-up. That should be the game to watch in district. For some reason I don't remember ALL those teams in the same district. :confused: Was there a change during the re-alignment?? Yeppers!! :)

99IHSMustang
09-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Well, that's how I would pick it, especially after that win against GP. But now that I see all the teams, I see why the talk is about the Ingleside vs Sinton match-up. That should be the game to watch in district. For some reason I don't remember ALL those teams in the same district. :confused: Was there a change during the re-alignment??

Goliad and I believe Fal were moved out of our district

IHStangFan
09-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Well, that's how I would pick it, especially after that win against GP. But now that I see all the teams, I see why the talk is about the Ingleside vs Sinton match-up. That should be the game to watch in district. For some reason I don't remember ALL those teams in the same district. :confused: Was there a change during the re-alignment?? as P4S stated...it depends on who you ask....I see it:

Ingleside
Sinton
(Nothing below here matters)

Ingleside is coming off of back to back wins over Tuloso-Midway (4A) 52-7 and Corpus Christi Miller (4A, was 5A last year) 37-7

Ingleside vs Sinton will be a battle this year unlike years past, although last year, the Mustangs had the Pirates on the ropes most of the game.

footballgal
09-11-2006, 04:00 PM
lol. :clap: I guess it does! :D

Wow, could it be the Old champion vs the new chamipon????
Granted those aren't the best area 4A teams BUT those were certainly big scores against them.

Well third place does matter, well at least for the 1st place 32-AAA district champ or do we play 31-AAA first. Man, I just can't think today... having a senior moment kind of day! :(

pirate4state
09-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
Goliad and I believe Fal were moved out of our district Fal wasn't in our district. Last year it was Sinton, Ingleside, Goliad, AP & Mathis.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-11-2006, 04:50 PM
The "Howling Bear" blow the Tarpons out of the water (no pun intended)

West Oso 42
Port Isabel 14

footballgal
09-11-2006, 04:57 PM
You don't have to think, it out loud! shame on you!:hand:

footballgal
09-15-2006, 02:36 PM
GO TARPONS GO!!!:clap:

I KNOW you have it in you to do it!
Hopefully we have at least 1 of the 3 rb playing today to give us a better chance. But mostly the defense is the one that has to step it up.

Go
FIGHT
WIN!

Let's go Tarpons, let's get a Bear! or a howing Bear !:)

Phil C
09-15-2006, 03:04 PM
BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR!!

footballgal
09-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR!!
Thanks Phil!:clap: It just wouldn't be the same if you had not posted that yourself:D

pirate4state
09-15-2006, 04:20 PM
too bad this game is in PI :(

Good Luck!!

footballgal
09-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
too bad this game is in PI :(

Good Luck!!

If you leave now, you can get here right on time. :D

Also good thing it is in PI, maybe WO will be tired from a long trip ;)

pirate4state
09-15-2006, 04:39 PM
If you leave now, you can get here right on time. :D

Also good thing it is in PI, maybe WO will be tired from a long trip ;) LOL!! I don't want to drive that far!! :p Heck, I'm having a hard time decided if I should go watch Ap play tonight!! LOL!

SintonFan_inAustin
09-15-2006, 06:44 PM
1.Sinton
1.Ingleside
1.West Oso
4.Orange Grove
5.Mathis
6.Aransas Pass

Sinton beats West Oso, West Oso beats Ingleside, Ingleside beats Sinton(pirates play their jv the last game of the year:D )

:crazy1:

i think Ingleside looking alot like Sintons team from couple years ago, but Sinton Defense will carry them thru out the year as long as they dont wear down like last year from being on the field to much.

jk West Oso not in same playing level as Ingleside. District championship will be last game of the year if Sinton offense improves by district:thumbsup: other playoff team,any of the other 4 have a shot it, but i think Orange Grove gets in at no.3 spot

footballgal
09-18-2006, 10:41 AM
PI grabs first win of the season
Valley Freedom Newspapers

PORT ISABEL — September 16, 2006 — After two games of being pushed around, and for about three quarters of that feat repeating on Friday, it was finally Tarpon time.

The final 12 minutes proved to be magic time for Port Isabel as it scored 20 unanswered to rally from a 12-point deficit for a 27-19 win over Corpus Christi West Oso at Tarpon Stadium.

Without six starters, including leading rusher Nolan Nuñez, the Tarpons rode behind Ralph Valdez, who almost single handily carried the offense in the final quarter. The running back ended the contest with 202 yards and two rushing touchdowns. With the game on the line, head coach Monty Stumbaugh handed the game to the senior, who responded with 124 yards on 10 carries in the final stanza.

“We had to step it up,” Valdez said. “We wanted it and did everything we could. They all had faith in me and I just ran.”

Down 19-7 to start the quarter, Port Isabel (1-2 overall) had a 4th and 2 from its own 42. After three quarters of frustration that featured turnovers and penalties, the ever so gambling Stumbaugh went for it and called for Valdez’s number. No. 42 bulldozed his way for a 20-yard gain for a first down.

After that, it was all up hill.

Seven plays later, from the West Oso 12, Tarpon quarterback David Alaniz went on a play fake to the right where all the defenders went, but the senior then threw to the other side and found Valdez wide open for a 12-yard touchdown that narrowed the lead at 19-14.

Then the ever-so-proud and traditional “Seawall Defense” held the Bears (2-1) for a three-and-out. Once Port Isabel got the ball back from its own 43, Valdez and the offensive line took over the game.

All the Tarpons needed was three plays to capture the lead culminated by a simple dive play up the middle for a 37-yard score and Valdez’ first rushing touchdown of the game—second score of the quarter. Port Isabel grabbed a 20-19 lead after the failed two-point conversion but totally stole the momentum.

West Oso once again failed to move the ball and lost it on a fumble, which was recovered by PI’s James Delgado at the Bears 30. By then West Oso’s defense was worn down and couldn’t contain the Tarpon rushing attack like it did in the first three quarters. The dagger came with just under a minute left as Valdez found an open hole on the right side and danced his way for a 20-yard touchdown for the games final score.

West Oso had one last crack with 29 seconds left. After capturing a first down at their own 42, Bears quarter back P.J. Lopez took the snap and was heavily pressured and finally sacked by an army of Tarpon defenders led by Ryan Garcia and Abel Cisneros to seal PI’s first win of the season.

“We played four quarters,” Stumbaugh said. “The kids fought back. The offensive line opened holes up. The defense rose to the occasion.”

The Bears had their way in the line of scrimmage in the first half. West Oso rode behind running backs Jerald Lewis and Shedrick Howard. The duo combined for 117 yards on the ground led by Lewis with 81 and two scores. Most impressive came by on the team’s opening drive that featured 12-plays on 48 yards culminated by Lewis’ one-yard scamper. West Oso captured the first of three turnovers on the ensuing kickoff at the Port Isabel 48-yard line. On 4th and 4, the Bears took the lead on Lewis’ 33-yard touchdown for a 12-7 lead. That score remained the same heading into the dressing rooms.

In the third quarter, West Oso took command on a 57-yard bomb from Lopez to Eric Torres on its first possession of the second half. But that was all she wrote for the Bears in the second half.

“I told my team, if we can’t play four quarters we can’t win,” said West Oso head coach Mark Guess, who only dressed 25 for the game. “They played and they wanted it. The scored (down the stretch) and we couldn’t.”

And is the real Port Isabel Tarpons back?

“I’d say we’re back, but it’s only going to get better,” Valdez said.