PDA

View Full Version : Survey: Does a good, loud band pump you up or cheering?

GoForIt
09-07-2003, 05:06 PM
This is a big argument I have had with family members. The years I see a noisy band, it seems the team gets more awakenend, revived and fired up. You ever walk in the park and then if your headset starts playing a good zesty uplifting song, your adrenaline gets going? I think the same thing happens to football teams. Just go watch Stephenville and you'll see what I mean!

Wbulldogs
09-07-2003, 05:13 PM
i hear ya...when the fans are loud and the bands playin that gets me pretty fired up out on the field...and it does for every player on our team that i know of

Pudlugger
09-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Absolutely, the band really can be an asset if the director is adapt at timing and choosing pieces. A good band will strike up the fight song on crucial plays such as 4thh and short or goal line stands. Football wouldn't be the same without the band. :D

Chief Woodman
09-07-2003, 05:24 PM
My son tells me he never hears the band...too busy concentrating on business at hand. Same was true for me years ago. Was good for the crowd, but when concentrating on what my assignment is and giving 100%, does not leave much room for any distractions. Maybe we are just simpletons and not much mental capacity..........lol

VWG
09-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Always love the band... crank it up.

3afan2K3
09-07-2003, 05:28 PM
I rarely hear forney's band play. But maybe thats cuz they are so far down the stands from me. But I like band that plays music that has a crowd chant that goes with it.

GoForIt
09-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Chief Woodman:
My son tells me he never hears the band...too busy concentrating on business at hand. Same was true for me years ago. Was good for the crowd, but when concentrating on what my assignment is and giving 100%, does not leave much room for any distractions. Maybe we are just simpletons and not much mental capacity..........lolIf that's the case, then I'd like to see one week where every high school band in the state of Texas boycotts the games and see how many bored fans wind up leaving the game. I really get angry when I hear of snotty players showing no respect toward band members - and I think it's the product of parents who fry into many of their kids that band members are geeks and all peers care about is being the star on the field. You want to see my point? Go to a six-man game or a 1A game with bands of less than 20 members. You'll change your mind quickly.

3afan2K3
09-07-2003, 05:40 PM
GoForIt:

Chief Woodman:
My son tells me he never hears the band...too busy concentrating on business at hand. Same was true for me years ago. Was good for the crowd, but when concentrating on what my assignment is and giving 100%, does not leave much room for any distractions. Maybe we are just simpletons and not much mental capacity..........lolIf that's the case, then I'd like to see one week where every high school band in the state of Texas boycotts the games and see how many bored fans wind up leaving the game. I really get angry when I hear of snotty players showing no respect toward band members - and I think it's the product of parents who fry into many of their kids that band members are geeks and all peers care about is being the star on the field. You want to see my point? Go to a six-man game or a 1A game with bands of less than 20 members. You'll change your mind quickly.IMO, I don't think the fans would leave just beacause the band wasn't playing.

<small>[ September 07, 2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: 3afan2K3 ]</small>

theyoefnshow
09-07-2003, 05:41 PM
though I don't agree w/ anything you generally have to say I'll add my .02. As a player, if you have your head in the game, you don't even notice the band playing. I mean, if the game is there you have thousands of people screaming and hollering along w/ your own mindset in the game. One thing I do have a problem w/ is under/overdoing it. This part being from a fan perspective. Back in the day, the only time you played the fight song is when there was a TD or extra point scored. Nowadays, the Cameron director plays the fight song for every little thing they do. Fumbles, interceptions...it just seems to take away from when an actual TD is made. Then again, when 3rd quarter is going on and the band is on break (most of them) it sucks when something DOES happen and they aren't there. Oh well. Can't have everything.

22Mustang
09-07-2003, 05:47 PM
My parents have never told me that band kids are geeks. Its just most of the kids in ours schools band are geeks. But that dosnt mean we dont like them. One of my friends plays the drums and we love it when he goes off on them.I like our band to they do a great job and they do help the players adn fans out. But i wouldnt mind hearing a metallica song or some other some that gets me pump up being played at our games.

Chief Woodman
09-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Go for it- Dude ease up. The question was about if it gets the player on the field up...not what the band does for the crowd (I even implied they were good for the crowd). The players are not snotty or stuck up...just concentrating on business. You imply that as a parent I have encouraged my son to disregard the band- not true at all.

In fact you kinda inseted your foot in your mouth because you do not even know me. When in high school, I was The Drum major AND played football. So do you think I was being stuck up and ingnored my best friends? I won more awards musically than I ever did athleticly. Did NOT ignore the band on purpose, was just so focused that other items became (Even the crowd) just background noise. When playing solos in band at UIL competitions...paid no attention to anything but the business at hand. Some call it giving 100%. If you are on the field playing football and you are listening to the band...you are giving at least 1% to the band...so you can do no more than 99% on ther field. That can get you injured. I encourage all students in Decatur (EVEN my son) to support every other extra-curricular activities and give respect.

So before you assume (and we all know what assuming does) that the players are not giving asy respect and you get yourself really angry....think about this....if the football player does not give 100% he risks injury. So by trying to listen to the band to keep the assumers happy, he is risking injury. I truly do not think that is what you want.

<small>[ September 07, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>

22Mustang
09-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Well here is what i mean. When it comes to getting the team pumped up, the band music dosnt really do it for our team. When we want to get pumped up we listen to some heavy rock, or somthing in that line of music. But our band can pump our team up with one or two of the songs they play. But with out them the games are dead.

Bandera YaYa
09-07-2003, 06:15 PM
Seems like this arguement has existed since the start of time! I was in the band and never thought anyone thought less of us. Of course that was over 2o years ago! I have watched this kinda go on at our school, too. It seems that you should be proud of what you do to contribute to your school. If you are not athletic, then be the best trombone player you can and vice versa. Kids can be harsh, I know. But just be the best you can and don't isolate yourselves from kids you are different from. Band kids AND football players can be friends...if they want to be.

Personally, I don't think the bands of today can compete with the bands of the 70's, when we marched our butts off doing all kinds of configurations on the field. Now they just kinda march on the field and play. Not nearly what we were required to do. Don't know why, but I have not seen the likes of it in many, many years. They sound great, tho!. Just my personal feelings.

I think our band needs to play more and play at more appropriate times (sometimes).

I want the football players to be involved in the game, not what's going on in the stands. If they can't hear the band, it's OK. The band is still contributing alot to the game.

footballgal
09-07-2003, 06:24 PM
I think it's a combination of both. A good loud band can pump the crowd up, then the crowd starts cheering which in turn it will pump up the team. In close games, I think a pumped up crowd gives them (players) that extra "Ump" and get the adrenaline going again, even though they might be exhausted after giving it their all. Kind of like when you have someone cheering you on, when you’re lifting weights or doing pushups/sit-ups and you feel like you can’t do one more.

<small>[ September 07, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
09-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Gal, you said it well!!

Wbulldogs
09-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Chief Woodman:
My son tells me he never hears the band...too busy concentrating on business at hand. Same was true for me years ago. Was good for the crowd, but when concentrating on what my assignment is and giving 100%, does not leave much room for any distractions. Maybe we are just simpletons and not much mental capacity..........lolwell i only play on defense and sometimes offense...so i hear the band when im gettin my refreshments ...lol

HotDawg89
09-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Drums BABY!!! Absolutely it makes a difference! Our players even turn to the crowd when we get too quiet- and they raise their hands and arms up to tell us that it is time to make some noise...especially when they are on defense. It makes a difference to the players.

X21AAAPlayer
09-07-2003, 09:18 PM
The only thing the band played that fired me up was the fight song. It's always great to hear your schools fight song being played along with the crowds extremely loud cheers. ESPECIALLY in close games. I still get chills when I hear the fight song played. Something that will be with me always I bet. But during the game most players will agree that the stands and the band are tuned out. The only thing I was able to hear was the coach yelling. Good or bad his voice always seemed to peirce the helmet.

Hazben
09-07-2003, 09:30 PM
well back in the day i recall games when you had a hard time hearing the cadence ..bands playing ..against each other and supporting the team as well . but when you hear one of those songs that gets your heart pumpin blood flowin that is why ex players say that a football game is the ultimate high! I promise you once you've experinced the fourth and inches stand on your goal line with the band blarring and the crowd roaring....! Sorry got carried away..goose bumps.....!!!!!!but i think the band does infact amplify the game!

slpybear the bullfan
09-07-2003, 10:00 PM
I grad'd in '89... played football from 5th grade on. After the band played the fight song when we ran through the banner... I never heard them again.

I noticed a lot of folks saying it makes a difference to the crowd... YES. It makes a tremendous difference. I love the band and especially drum cadences.

But, not to make anyone upset, when you are on the field and playing, you don't even hear the cheerleaders, crowd, or band. At least we didn't. Heck, you barely could focus on what the coach was yelling at you. When I was out there I was watching what formation was coming at me, listening to the audibles, tensely waiting for the snap, listening for a hard count... Sorry, just waaaayyy to "into" the play to hear all that stuff from the sidelines and stands.

I know this is a hot topic, because no one wants to feel slighted about their role or their kids role on Friday nights. Let me suggest this... There are a lot of differnet jobs going on during your typical Friday Night Football game. They are all good for HS kids and encourage your kids, friends, or self to do you part and do it well.

SLPYBEAR
'89 BULLS #70

BOOMB!

GoForIt
09-07-2003, 10:54 PM
I like your diplomacy in addressing my topic. Very impressed, indeed. STuff like that really promotes unity in a community in pushing a common effort!

pres. ya ya ya pinky
09-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Well all i have to say if you have Ya Ya's at your game you don't need a band. Ha! Ha! :D :D :D

slpybear the bullfan
09-07-2003, 11:39 PM
GoForIt:
I like your diplomacy in addressing my topic. Very impressed, indeed. STuff like that really promotes unity in a community in pushing a common effort!GoForIt, I had/have friends and family participate in just about every way possible on Friday Nights. I am waaayyy biased to the players, because that is what I enjoyed most. But (CAUTION: POTENTIAL HERESY FOLLOWS) there is a lot more to the Friday Night Ritual than just the game. It may be the focal point, but there are tons of other pieces that have to be there to make it right:

Cheerleaders and painted paper banners... Bands yelling at the other band... Drum Cadences... Someone's Mom handing you a half-melted Coke from inside the Concession stand that OSHA should shut down due to heat... the stadium announcer that has done it so long no one remembers who preceeded him... Homecoming Queens... Students wearing crazy hats and shaking various metal containers filled with ball bearings... Grown adults fighing over $.05 plastic footballs being thrown into the stand... Shorts in september and Thinsulate in December... driving to away games and passing towns along the way where streets are empty but you can see stadium lights... and last but not least, a whole lot of fans who come to the stadium with more religion then some have for Church on Sunday.

Isn't this a great experience?!!!

God Bless Us Everyone, Win one for the gipper, and all that jazz...

Bandera YaYa
09-07-2003, 11:43 PM
I have to admit, you said it well, guy!! I do love it all...but you forgot to mention the YaYa's!! We are now an institution on Friday nights.... :cool:

District303aPastPlayer
09-08-2003, 09:09 AM
i have to say one thing that really bugs me is the lack of a student section. most schools have sections where their students go crazy, paint their faces, come dressed up, and are sometimes better cheerleaders than most cheerleaders. Want to know what I am talking about? If you live in SA or CC go to a MacArthur game and a GP Game... then turn around and go to a Sinton game. our student section has no student section feel. Sorr, but this has bugged me for a while, and i feel it needs to be addressed. You are never "too cool" to take pride in your school, is my opinion. I can not say i remember when the student section cheered, but instead just sat there and chatted.

<small>[ September 08, 2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: District303aPastPlayer ]</small>

vet93
09-08-2003, 09:26 AM
I was a band "geek". Trombone player...yeah! But, I was also on the football team and I have to agree with Chief Woodman. When I was on the field I did not hear the crowd or the band. I was so focused on the game that it was background noise. I did get fired up by the band at the beginning of the game when the fight song was played though. They also helped get us fired up at pep rallies. The bands performance during the game is probably more for the fans than the players themselves. But...what is wrong with that! I think that they serve a huge purpose in involving the crowd and adding to the atmosphere of high school football. Things would not be the same if not for the band.

BigDog
09-08-2003, 10:12 AM
The band has their role; however, the players play the game. A good band can have an impact with the fans to help cheer and pump up the players. You should go to a wilmer Hutchins game and enjoy a Great Band and see the impact they have on the fans!

spiveyrat
09-08-2003, 12:13 PM
GoForIt:

Chief Woodman:
My son tells me he never hears the band...too busy concentrating on business at hand. Same was true for me years ago. Was good for the crowd, but when concentrating on what my assignment is and giving 100%, does not leave much room for any distractions. Maybe we are just simpletons and not much mental capacity..........lolIf that's the case, then I'd like to see one week where every high school band in the state of Texas boycotts the games and see how many bored fans wind up leaving the game. I really get angry when I hear of snotty players showing no respect toward band members - and I think it's the product of parents who fry into many of their kids that band members are geeks and all peers care about is being the star on the field. You want to see my point? Go to a six-man game or a 1A game with bands of less than 20 members. You'll change your mind quickly.Bored fans? Sorry, But I go to football games for the football, not hear the band. If I had kids in the band, then I would support them. But, til then, I'm there for the football.

JMEN84
09-08-2003, 12:21 PM
The only band that ever got me fired up was the Odessa Permian Band of the 80's playing in Texas Stadium. They came out one tunnel and almost made a complete circle around the field. Wow was that awesome.. I'm showing my age now (37).