PDA

View Full Version : aggie men ranked 14 in preseason poll

AggieJohn
09-11-2006, 10:58 AM
COLLEGE STATION, Texas- The Texas A&M men's basketball team is ranked No. 14 nationally heading into the 2006-07 season in Lindy's College Basketball preview magazine.

The only other Big 12 team ranked in the top 25 is No. 3-ranked Kansas.

"The 43 victories they've amassed under (Billy) Gillispie are just a taste of what could be on tap, considering the enormous recruiting success they have enjoyed of late," the magazine said of the Aggies. "Gillispie returns two All-Big 12 and All-American candidates in Acie Law and Joseph Jones. The A&M powers-that-be obviously knew they were getting a quality head coach when they hired Gillispie away from UTEP, but the impact he's made on the national scene in such a short period has to be a revelation."

Lindy's picks the Aggies to finish second in the Big 12 behind the Jayhawks and to advance to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament.

The publication names Law and Jones to its first-team All-Big 12 squad, tabbing Law as the nation's fourth-best point guard and Jones as the country's ninth-best center.

A&M freshmen Bryan Davis and Donald Sloan also received mention, Davis for being the best rebounder and Sloan for being one of the best jump shooters among the league's newcomers.

Adidas410s
09-11-2006, 11:01 AM
crazy...Texas was getting talk as a possible #1...then Aldridge, Tucker, and Gibson leave...now they aren't even a Top 25 team! :eek: :eek: :eek:

JasperDog94
09-11-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm not surprised. Ags had a great season last year and Texas lost a lot to the pros. Congrats to the Ags on the ranking.

KTJ
09-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
crazy...Texas was getting talk as a possible #1...then Aldridge, Tucker, and Gibson leave...now they aren't even a Top 25 team! :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's how college basketball works.

Pre-season polls in college basketball make preseason polls in college football look like the Gutenberg Bible.

AggieJohn
09-11-2006, 11:18 AM
i'm so confused with your sig KTJ

Technoredneck
09-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Amazing isn't it? Lose half your starters and lose your ranking.

AggieJohn
09-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
Amazing isn't it? Lose half your starters and lose your ranking. that's crazyspeak

CHS_CG
09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE aggie basketball! Cant wait till the season starts! Congrats ags on the top 25 rank! :clap:

Bull Butter
09-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I never thought I'd see the terms "Aggie Basketball" and "Top 25" in the same paragraph, much less the same sentence.

Nice going, Ags:)

Bulldog_12
09-11-2006, 04:31 PM
You beat me to it AJ. Thats what I get for only getting one hour of sleep while waiting for texas tickets today. I slept until 2. Good times.

oh yeah, Im loving this Basketball Hype!:D

crabman
09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Pre-season polls in college basketball make preseason polls in college football look like the Gutenberg Bible.

:confused: :confused: I don't get this simile or metaphor or analogy or whatever the heck it is. Kind of like "a man without a woman is like a fish without a bicycle" or my favorite "a morning without coffee is like something without something else."

eagles_victory
09-11-2006, 08:33 PM
I dont like A&M that much but there going to be dang good

awizzy
09-11-2006, 08:46 PM
trust me when i say this...UT will be good...they had one of if not the best recuiting class last year...durant is gonna be a best...damion james avg. a triple double last year at 6'8...i am for real watch out for the horns

eagles_victory
09-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
trust me when i say this...UT will be good...they had one of if not the best recuiting class last year...durant is gonna be a best...damion james avg. a triple double last year at 6'8...i am for real watch out for the horns you might be right its not completely unheard of for freshman to lead a team deep in the ncaa tounament like Syracuse with Anthony and Mcnamara and the fab five that one year just to name a few

awizzy
09-11-2006, 09:02 PM
you might be right its not completely unheard of for freshman to lead a team deep in the ncaa tounament like Syracuse with Anthony and Mcnamara and the fab five that one year just to name a few

yes my point exactly but its still hard to say that durant is a carmelo anthony..but he make alot of miss matches being 6'10 playing either the 4,3, or ever 2 with his range

Bull Butter
09-11-2006, 11:20 PM
I didn't know this thread was about UT basketball and their pre-season ranking. I thought it was about the Aggies being ranked # 14. Nice try Horn fans at trying to hijack the thread.

Bulldog_12
09-11-2006, 11:26 PM
While this thread IS about my Ags, I will join in the banter for the horns. I figure they COULD, that being the key word, be last years Kansas. That being said, I dont think they have the experience on the inside to bang with the big boys of the Big 12. I see them being anywhere from 4th to 6th in the big 12 this year depending on how fast barnes can get these kids to mature.

Bull Butter
09-11-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm not saying that the Horns won't be good, because Barnes will always put a solid team out on the court. I'm saying that some UT fans arent ready to admit that BCG and the Aggies might be better this coming season.

kepdawg
09-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Does Baylor get to play a full schedule this year?

Bulldog_12
09-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Does Baylor get to play a full schedule this year?

yes