PDA

View Full Version : the word on running the clock

3afan
10-17-2003, 04:35 PM
this week I spoke to 3 different TASO referees, all veterans, about the rule of the running clock. they all 3 told me there was no rule written down. 2 of them said one of the coaches had to request it, the other had to agree, then they would run the clock. don't matter when or what the score is - if the coaches agree then they'll do it. the 3rd also said that but also said the referee could initiate it and ask both coaches.

3afan
10-19-2003, 06:59 AM
ttt

TXMike
10-19-2003, 07:54 AM
They are pretty much correct. There are a few times when the referee can order the clock started when normally it would be stopped but those are not the types of times that apply to "blowout" situations which you are probably talking about.

The rules do permit for the reduction of "playing time" by mutual agreement of both coaqches and the referee.

Refs handle this differently. Some will ask both coaches and then do. Some will do it until one of the coaches complains. Some will just ask the losing coach and some will just ask the winning coach.

If anyone believes there should be no running clock then you might want to think about this: If all of us refs started keeping the clock "regular" during these blowouts there are going to be some wild scores put up and how long do you think it will be till UIL steps in and gives ALL classifications the same blowout rule they have for 6-man? You will have games ending at half time and your backups will NEVER get on the field.

JasperDog94
10-19-2003, 10:13 AM
TXMike:
If anyone believes there should be no running clock then you might want to think about this: If all of us refs started keeping the clock "regular" during these blowouts there are going to be some wild scores put up and how long do you think it will be till UIL steps in and gives ALL classifications the same blowout rule they have for 6-man? You will have games ending at half time and your backups will NEVER get on the field.I couldn't agree more! It should be left up to the coaches and refs on an individual basis.