PDA

View Full Version : Texas falls to 8 in new Polls!!

PHS Wildcats
09-10-2006, 02:33 PM
USA TODAY/ESPN

1. Ohio State (59)
2. Southern California (2)
3. Notre Dame (1)
4. Auburn (1)
5. West Virginia
6. Florida
7. LSU
8. Texas
9. Georgia
10. Florida State
11. Oklahoma
12. Louisville
13. Michigan
14. Virginia Tech
15. Miami (Fla.)
16. Iowa
17. Tennessee
18. Oregon
19. Nebraska
20. TCU
21. California
22. Texas Tech
23. Arizona Stat
24. Alabama
25. Boston College

AP

1 Ohio State
2 Notre Dame
3 Auburn
4 Southern California
5 West Virginia
6 LSU
7 Florida
8 Texas
9 Florida State
10 Georgia
11 Michigan
12 Louisville
13 Tennessee
14 Virginia Tech
15 Oklahoma
16 Iowa
17 Miami (Fla.)
18 Oregon
19 Nebraska
20 TCU
21 California
22 Arizona State
23 Boston College
24 Texas Tech
25 Penn State

Technoredneck
09-10-2006, 02:36 PM
I can't believe they stayed in the top 10

Emerson1
09-10-2006, 02:43 PM
How is FSU still in the top 10?

Texas-Fight
09-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
I can't believe they stayed in the top 10 Why is that? They were #2 and they lost to #1. It was a reasonable drop. That helps them if other teams ahead of them goof up.

sahen
09-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
How is FSU still in the top 10? they won, doesnt matter how crappy the team was that they barely beat...normally if you win u maintain or gain in the polls....doesn't always happen but normally does

MagicMan
09-10-2006, 04:59 PM
if texas defense plays that crappy again i could see them dropping another game and fall even further in the ranks...but lets hope not

big daddy russ
09-11-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
How is FSU still in the top 10?
Because they have more quality wins than all but two teams on that list... and only the top team has a better win than the 'Noles.

Troy State wasn't a flagship win and definitely not in a flagship way, but I'd put them fifth if I was making the poll. Texas didn't drop a whole lot after having trouble with Oklahoma State last year, and FSU shouldn't be punished, either.

District303aPastPlayer
09-11-2006, 03:08 AM
so its posted one more time:

Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game:
Notre Dame vs West Virginia.

Phil C
09-11-2006, 08:07 AM
You have to face it. The polls don't like UT for personal reasons rather than football action. If it had been ND or Ohio State or USC then they would have only dropped to No. 5 or maybe No. 6 but not all the way to 7. I have seen this in the past for many years.

Technoredneck
09-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Texas-Fight
Why is that? They were #2 and they lost to #1. It was a reasonable drop. That helps them if other teams ahead of them goof up.
I just expected to see a bigger drop in the polls based on previous treatment of Texas schools in the polls. We all know the the polls have never been kind to our Texas schools.

I can't say that I was overly impressed with their play and they didn't really look that great to me so I was sure the the pollsters would hammer them.

That is why I did not expect them to stay in the top 10.

Phil C
09-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
I just expected to see a bigger drop in the polls based on previous treatment of Texas schools in the polls. We all know the the polls have never been kind to our Texas schools.

I can't say that I was overly impressed with their play and they didn't really look that great to me so I was sure the the pollsters would hammer them.

That is why I did not expect them to stay in the top 10.

I agree Tech. It was too big a drop in my opinion but it is surprising they didn't drop out of the top ten. It will be interesting to see how far others drop when they get a loss and they will get a loss. I remember a few years ago Oklahoma got whipped bad in the Big 12 Championship game yet still got to play for the NC for crying out loud.

BMOC
09-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Texas has plenty of time to rebound from this loss and climb back into the polls.

Technoredneck
09-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by BMOC
Texas has plenty of time to rebound from this loss and climb back into the polls.

Sure they do. All they need to do is go out and play like they have the ability to do and get the wins they should get. They need to dominate their opponents to show the pollsters that that are a top tier team. It won't be easy, but they can do it.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
You have to face it. The polls don't like UT for personal reasons

Mack Brown, if he makes a public plea to the press, like he has done before, his team could move up in the polls!:crying: :weeping:

Old Tiger
09-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I agree Tech. It was too big a drop in my opinion but it is surprising they didn't drop out of the top ten. It will be interesting to see how far others drop when they get a loss and they will get a loss. I remember a few years ago Oklahoma got whipped bad in the Big 12 Championship game yet still got to play for the NC for crying out loud. I think if the margin of victory was more slim then they would be top 5 still.

JasperDog94
09-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by MagicMan
if texas defense plays that crappy again i could see them dropping another game and fall even further in the ranks...but lets hope not You think so? I was rather impressed that they held Ohio State to 24 giving the fact that Brad Smith was "en feugo" and Texas was missing 2 starters in their secondary. Notice that OSU didn't score until after Griffin was injured?

Txbroadcaster
09-11-2006, 10:53 AM
ok as everyone knows HUGE Horns fan here, but this whole the polls voter hate Texas is crap...I think if Texas scores one more time, or OSU does not score another point and the game finished 24-17 or 17-10 then Texas falls to 6th..but losing at home 24-7 NO MATTER what the stats say looks bad.

I also think voters saw the truth..Texas is a good team, but not a great team, at least not yet.

Also it is not just what Texas does, but the fact so many teams are still unbeaten and they were placed in front of many unbeaten teams.

Texas fell to where they should be.

JasperDog94
09-11-2006, 10:57 AM
No arguement here. I think Texas fans were kidding themselves to think that we were a top 5 team with a freshman QB. At least as of now. Maybe by year's end, but we've got a lot of work to do to get there.

MagicMan
09-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
No arguement here. I think Texas fans were kidding themselves to think that we were a top 5 team with a freshman QB. At least as of now. Maybe by year's end, but we've got a lot of work to do to get there.

i definitely agree...thats what i have been thinking all along....i think there is no way texas has a chance to play in the NC now...there are a handful of teams that have the chance to go undefeated...whoever wins the auburn lsu game this week has a good chance to do it...i tink auburn has the kind of team to play in a national championship....and wv has a really really good chance to go undefeated