PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Gilmer Buckeyes

Bullaholic
09-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Congrats to the Gilmer Buckeyes for a great win over the Tatum Eagles. I thought the circumstances were good for Tatum to upset Gilmer. I was wrong and I think Gilmer has proven to me and the rest of Texas, that they are "for real" with this big victory over a really good Tatum team. I do not want to be labeled a Gilmer "bandwaggoner", but I do not see any reason why Gilmer does not "run the table" and be the odds-on favorite to win the 3A-DI state title.(No disrepect or disregard to the other fine DI schools out there intended)---I am just "speculating" at this point in the season). As we all know in Texas HS football it is easy to "verbally" give a team a state title---the Buckeyes will have to earn it, no doubt, but they have proven that they have their talent "clicking" and know how to use it under pressure.

Cameron Crazy
09-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Nice game Buckeyes!!

gobblerfan02
09-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Congrats to the Gilmer Buckeyes for a great win over the Tatum Eagles. I thought the circumstances were good for Tatum to upset Gilmer. I was wrong and I think Gilmer has proven to me and the rest of Texas, that they are "for real" with this big victory over a really good Tatum team. I do not want to be labeled a Gilmer "bandwaggoner", but I do not see any reason why Gilmer does not "run the table" and be the odds-on favorite to win the 3A-DI state title.(No disrepect or disregard to the other fine DI schools out there intended)---I am just "speculating" at this point in the season). As we all know in Texas HS football it is easy to "verbally" give a team a state title---the Buckeyes will have to earn it, no doubt, but they have proven that they have their talent "clicking" and know how to use it under pressure. Im just hoping/wishing that Gonzales doesn't make the playoffs in our district...what a dream matchup if it were to happen!

STANG RED
09-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Obviously, their the real deal.
I sure hope A. Wylie picks it up a little, and makes the playoffs, so we dont have to go D1 this year!
We (Sweetwater) know exactly how good Tatum was, and Gilmer looked like they handeled them pretty good. I just cant see anybody staying with them, unless they really shoot themselves in the foot.

Cameron Crazy
09-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Bull did you go to the game? and how did G.J play?

Bullaholic
09-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Bull did you go to the game? and how did G.J play?

No, I was at the Bulls game, Cameron, but there were many fellow Dlower's who took this one in and will probably be along to answer this question.

Cameron Crazy
09-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks..how did the bulls do?:thinking:

Bullaholic
09-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks..how did the bulls do?:thinking:

Lost "ugly" to Mineral Wells 22-19.

Cameron Crazy
09-09-2006, 01:37 PM
O my best friend plays for mineral wells..he starts at free safety!! but well get em next time we lost in a heartbreaker. have a good weekend!

BHBrave08
09-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Congrats to Gilmer. Must of been a tough loss for Tatum but I won 2 dollars (I know. It's a really lame bet.:p) from a friend on the game.

Cameron Crazy
09-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by BHBrave08
Congrats to Gilmer. Must of been a tough loss for Tatum but I won 2 dollars (I know. It's a really lame bet.:p) from a friend on the game. NIce win!! lol 2 dollars thats alot of money!!:D

sweetwater07
09-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Congrats to the Gilmer Buckeyes for a great win over the Tatum Eagles. I thought the circumstances were good for Tatum to upset Gilmer. I was wrong and I think Gilmer has proven to me and the rest of Texas, that they are "for real" with this big victory over a really good Tatum team. I do not want to be labeled a Gilmer "bandwaggoner", but I do not see any reason why Gilmer does not "run the table" and be the odds-on favorite to win the 3A-DI state title.(No disrepect or disregard to the other fine DI schools out there intended)---I am just "speculating" at this point in the season). As we all know in Texas HS football it is easy to "verbally" give a team a state title---the Buckeyes will have to earn it, no doubt, but they have proven that they have their talent "clicking" and know how to use it under pressure.

Div. I?????....i figured they would go D2 like last year.....realignment maybe??

Cameron Crazy
09-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
Div. I?????....i figured they would go D2 like last year.....realignment maybe?? Maybe...Maybe!

sweetwater07
09-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Maybe...Maybe!

well like STANG RED said i hope Wylie kicks it up a notch...because i'm thinking we will go Div. I...if they don't

lostaussie
09-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
Div. I?????....i figured they would go D2 like last year.....realignment maybe?? we will be D1. largest team in our district. btw..........tatum still has the hosses, just didn't have the depth to stay with us. i personally do not see them loseing another game this year. as for us, there are just so many weapons. if we ever can get a mistake free game we may score a hundred. we won't because the coaches will not allow, but it could happen. kicking game, which looked awful last week was excellent this week. lots of fun last night. met PPHS. Gsuared, Mwynn05, DU Stud, and Buckeye 80. hope i didn't leave anyone out. thanks for all the good comments. ya'll come on out and watch us. we may not end up winning the title, but if you show up, you will dang sure get your monies worth.:D

p.s. we ran the coolest hook and ladder last night i have ever seen. gained about 60 and put us at the 7 for a last second field goal just before half.

Cameron Crazy
09-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
we will be D1. largest team in our district. btw..........tatum still has the hosses, just didn't have the depth to stay with us. i personally do not see them loseing another game this year. as for us, there are just so many weapons. if we ever can get a mistake free game we may score a hundred. we won't because the coaches will not allow, but it could happen. kicking game, which looked awful last week was excellent this week. lots of fun last night. met PPHS. Gsuared, Mwynn05, DU Stud, and Buckeye 80. hope i didn't leave anyone out. thanks for all the good comments. ya'll come on out and watch us. we may not end up winning the title, but if you show up, you will dang sure get your monies worth.:D

p.s. we ran the coolest hook and ladder last night i have ever seen. gained about 60 and put us at the 7 for a last second field goal just before half. Aussie them buckeyes lookin good how did G.J play im sure he played very well.

lostaussie
09-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Aussie them buckeyes lookin good how did G.J play im sure he played very well. G.J. to me looked a lot more confident than he did in the opener. really threw some nice balls. lined up at reciever on several occasions as Kennedy went to QB. Kinne did make one ill advised throw that was taken back for a TD only to be given back to Gilmer on 2 penalties by Tatum. other than that one play, i thought he played exceptional.

lostaussie
09-09-2006, 03:39 PM
oh...........one more thing. we are keeping the identity of our punter a secret evidently, because through two games we have yet to use him:D

EAGLE9166
09-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Kinne looked real good , Gilmer looked awesome, keep the GOLD in EAST TEXAS.

lostaussie
09-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by EAGLE9166
Kinne looked real good , Gilmer looked awesome, keep the GOLD in EAST TEXAS. thanks Eagle. ya'll have a fine team, and certainly nothing to be ashamed of last night. your guys played hard and they played until the end.:thumbsup:

rockdale80
09-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Kinne did play well, but he was not the star of the game last night. Atleast not to me. Not taking anything away from him, but #22 is a stud. Gilmer is loaded, no doubt, but I think it is premature to say they will win state. Not saying they cant, but there are several teams that could stand in the way. Gidding....Hutto...Sweetwater is good(if they go D1), or maybe even Cuero for that matter.

But I will say that Gilmer is really as good as everyone says they are. Those boys can flat out play some football. I will be seeing them again this year.

Buckeye80
09-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Im just hoping/wishing that Gonzales doesn't make the playoffs in our district...what a dream matchup if it were to happen!

Can you imagine? That is what high school football is about! I would LOVE to see that match-up! Win or lose, I wouldn't care. It would be worth the trip to anywhere to see that one.:D

MagicMan
09-09-2006, 05:20 PM
gonzales is looking terrible this year. hopefully yoakum and goliad can make the playoffs and then both gilmer and cuero make it to the finals. i bet that would be a neat game.

lostaussie
09-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Can you imagine? That is what high school football is about! I would LOVE to see that match-up! Win or lose, I wouldn't care. It would be worth the trip to anywhere to see that one.:D can you just imagine the meet and greet:D

Buckeye80
09-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Tatum is gonna make serious noise in 2A! They went "toe to toe" with the number 1ish team in 3A for about 30 minutes of "tag you're it" football and hung in. That team has nothing to hang their heads about, because they got "out-athleted".

And for the Tatum fans that are emotionally destroyed about this loss, and who are looking for any reason to tear Gilmer apart; I ask that you just calm down before you speak out of turn. Just sit down for a moment, relax, take a deep breath, and realize that Gilmer has BEATEN your team the last FIVE times they've played!

And not only that, but your last two losses have been to Gilmer! Perfect last year, sure! But who knocked you out of the playoffs in 04? Stings doesn't it......the salt in the wound! Now shut up about this "so-called" rivalry!

Downlowers,

That was for the Tatum fans that I have to listen to everyday on the radio, proclaiming that Tatum has a superior football program to Gilmer. I can only take so much of, "Wait until the Bukeyes see Lennon Creer!" We saw him, and he had 101 yards last night, which could very well be his lowest total for the year. That kid is a hoss!

I apologize for that outburst.:)

Buckeye80
09-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Sorry....one more thing. I heard some idiot on the radio last night say he was so impressed with Gilmer, that if the Buckeyes played the Lufkin Panthers, he would take Gilmer. Let's get one thing straight. I love my Buckeyes, but the Lufkin Panthers would win that game by however many points they felt like.

I'm just trying to show everyone the boundaries of my fanaticism. Gilmer is good, but I'm not ready to put them up against the Cowboys! 3A is just fine for now. :D

MagicMan
09-09-2006, 05:41 PM
i would pick gilmer over brenham

Buckeye80
09-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by MagicMan
i would pick gilmer over brenham

And you would be wrong!:D

hereandnow
09-09-2006, 06:02 PM
And you would be wrong!:D

Yea, Brenham is damn good. Undoubtedly the best in the school's history - and that includes the glory days (early 70s) of Roosevelt Leaks

Buckeye80
09-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by hereandnow
Yea, Brenham is damn good.

You take great pleasure in someone agreeing that Gilmer could lose don't you?:D

DU_stud04
09-10-2006, 02:53 AM
Aussie them buckeyes lookin good how did G.J play im sure he played very well.

that kid can throw the dang ball! i swear a few times i hear the ball break mach 1 hahaha:D

dirtydan
09-10-2006, 07:53 AM
the weakest link on the gilmer buckeyes program are the coaches.
if gilmer gets beat this year, it will be because the coaches done something dumb and stupid. you dont give away as many points as you make. their kicker can kick into the end zone, yet the coaches prefer to kick to the 40 and let the other team start at the 50. dont make sense to me. the tatum QB does not have a strong arm, he may have passed 3 times the whole night, yet the gilmer defensive coaches stayed in a 3 down line, giving away too many yards on the ground. the linebackers and safetys continue to get hit in the back with passes, if they were trained to look back sometime, they would have interceptions. this is what blew the canton game last year. all the coaches should have been fired. traylor is setting himself up for a baylor coaching job later on.

lostaussie
09-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by dirtydan
all the coaches should have been fired. that would be the same coaching staff that has gone 41-3 in the last 3 years and 2 games? whats the matter, he didn't let your kid play?

DU_stud04
09-10-2006, 08:21 AM
that would be the same coaching staff that has gone 41-3 in the last 3 years and 2 games? whats the matter, he didn't let your kid play?
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Buckeye80
09-10-2006, 11:39 AM
traylor is setting himself up for a baylor coaching job later on.

You're a dork.

Manck
09-10-2006, 12:10 PM
if gilmer gets beat this year, it will be because the coaches done something dumb and stupid. you dont give away as many points as you make. their kicker can kick into the end zone, yet the coaches prefer to kick to the 40 and let the other team start at the 50. dont make sense to me. the tatum QB does not have a strong arm, he may have passed 3 times the whole night, yet the gilmer defensive coaches stayed in a 3 down line, giving away too many yards on the ground. the linebackers and safetys continue to get hit in the back with passes, if they were trained to look back sometime, they would have interceptions. this is what blew the canton game last year. all the coaches should have been fired. traylor is setting himself up for a baylor coaching job later on.
This is the dumbest thing I think I've heard, except for the secondary turning to face the ball more.

How many state championships before Traylor? None.
With Traylor? One.

How many consecutive district games have the Buckeyes won with Traylor? A hell of a lot. Five seasons worth.

The only reason Gilmer even makes the playoffs? The coaches. The athletes in the classes before the Traylor era were the same caliber as the majority of the current Buckeyes (Kinne, Brown, Bus excluded of course). But the discipline, coaching and motivation weren't there. I saw it with my own eyes. And we didn't make the playoffs for 10 years.

So while you may be right about a couple of defensive alignments, you've got to remember, this is the best the Buckeyes have been in a looooooong time, and we better enjoy it while it lasts.

lostaussie
09-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Manck
This is the dumbest thing I think I've heard, except for the secondary turning to face the ball more.

How many state championships before Traylor? None.
With Traylor? One.

How many consecutive district games have the Buckeyes won with Traylor? A hell of a lot. Five seasons worth.

The only reason Gilmer even makes the playoffs? The coaches. The athletes in the classes before the Traylor era were the same caliber as the majority of the current Buckeyes (Kinne, Brown, Bus excluded of course). But the discipline, coaching and motivation weren't there. I saw it with my own eyes. And we didn't make the playoffs for 10 years.

So while you may be right about a couple of defensive alignments, you've got to remember, this is the best the Buckeyes have been in a looooooong time, and we better enjoy it while it lasts. True.......True

Tatum_Fan
09-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Tatum is gonna make serious noise in 2A! They went "toe to toe" with the number 1ish team in 3A for about 30 minutes of "tag you're it" football and hung in. That team has nothing to hang their heads about, because they got "out-athleted".

And for the Tatum fans that are emotionally destroyed about this loss, and who are looking for any reason to tear Gilmer apart; I ask that you just calm down before you speak out of turn. Just sit down for a moment, relax, take a deep breath, and realize that Gilmer has BEATEN your team the last FIVE times they've played!

And not only that, but your last two losses have been to Gilmer! Perfect last year, sure! But who knocked you out of the playoffs in 04? Stings doesn't it......the salt in the wound! Now shut up about this "so-called" rivalry!

Downlowers,

That was for the Tatum fans that I have to listen to everyday on the radio, proclaiming that Tatum has a superior football program to Gilmer. I can only take so much of, "Wait until the Bukeyes see Lennon Creer!" We saw him, and he had 101 yards last night, which could very well be his lowest total for the year. That kid is a hoss!

This has to win for most double standard post on 3A...Yeah, it's a hard loss, it would have been for the Buckeyes if they would have lost. Look Coach Evans didn't have to schedule a team like Gilmer...he could have easily sugar coated his way through preseason, went undefeated, and kept the #1 ranking...he didnt. The challenge that the Eagles had last Friday will not be matched (or anything close to it in 2A). Just because we lost to Gilmer in 2006 does not guarantee a win in 2005 - so please get off of your high horse!

Tatum fans have so much respect for the Gilmer program....please don't ruin it.

I know I am going way back, 1991...but it was my senior year, Gilmer was ranked 2nd in state, Tatum didn't even win district - but they beat the Buckeyes! Any given Friday....

JasperDog94
09-12-2006, 08:39 AM
That team has nothing to hang their heads about, because they got "out-athleted". That happens when you go up against the number 1 recruiting class.

Manck
09-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Tatum_Fan I know I am going way back, 1991...but it was my senior year, Gilmer was ranked 2nd in state, Tatum didn't even win district - but they beat the Buckeyes! Any given Friday.... [/B]
If I remember correctly, Tatum was ranked second in the state in either 1997 or 1998, came to Gilmer and got beat 28-27. Of course, Gilmer stayed home when the playoffs rolled around.

Actually, maybe it was '95 or '96, because it wasn't during those two years that Gilmer went 4A.

lostaussie
09-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
That happens when you go up against the number 1 recruiting class. just can't seem to turn it loose. at times i wish Kinne had never shown up or we had not recruited him so hard as you say. but then the friday night lights come on and i remember...........they are just all kids and everything else doesn't seem to matter anymore.

JasperDog94
09-12-2006, 10:40 AM
just can't seem to turn it loose. at times i wish Kinne had never shown up or we had not recruited him so hard as you say. but then the friday night lights come on and i remember...........they are just all kids and everything else doesn't seem to matter anymore. I understand. If it had happened to Jasper I'm sure that I would feel different, but it's just not fair to the other 180 schools in 3A that the UIL allowed this to happen.

Not that it will really matter to Jasper this year. We're still trying to find ourselves. Normally I wouldn't worry much about it as Jasper is almost a lock to get into the playoffs. But not with this new district.

Buckeye80
09-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Tatum_Fan
Look Coach Evans didn't have to schedule a team like Gilmer...he could have easily sugar coated his way through preseason, went undefeated, and kept the #1 ranking...he didnt.

Tatum fans have so much respect for the Gilmer program....please don't ruin it.

I know I am going way back, 1991...but it was my senior year, Gilmer was ranked 2nd in state, Tatum didn't even win district - but they beat the Buckeyes! Any given Friday....

All right, where do we start? :rolleyes:

First point:
That scheduling was done before any polls were released, so the "keeping the #1 ranking" does not apply.
Secondly, who are you kidding? Tatum fans have respect for Gilmer's program? Stop with the PC nonsense. :rolleyes:
If you had listened to any football program on any Friday night after any game last season, I GUARANTEE you would have heard some random Tatum fan predicting Gilmer's demise. Hell, I heard a guy after we beat Daingerfield in Bi-district saying, "This is Tatum's year! Gilmer can't beat us!", when a possible matchup between the two was still three rounds away! And if you had tuned into any football program on the radio last week, you'd have heard Tatum fans saying, "We're the defending champions! Gilmer has to unseat us!"
None of that sounds like respect to me.
Lastly, and I don't exactly understand the relevance of your last comment, but here's my two cents. During my senior year, in '94, Tatum was ranked #3 in the state, we beat them (16-13) and did not win district or even make the playoffs. Indeed, any given Friday!
And I'm assuming that this whole "double standard" theory of your's revolves around your belief that had Gilmer lost, I would be singing a different tune. That's not true! I'm "man enough" to take a beating and move on.

Tatum_Fan
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM

Downlowers,

The double standard comes in this form...you congratulate a team for going toe-to-toe then a few sentences later "rub salt" in the wound...hello???

The second double standard is degrading Tatum fans while you, yourself are on here doing the exact thing that you accuse Tatum fans of...do you catch the drift now?

As far as the respect thing goes, I work in the district...I know what the kids and coaches really think of Gilmer....Evans and Traylor speak highly of each other...Being the man that you are, don't hold a few comments from Tatum fans against us, and I won't hold the comments made against Tatum against you...

Also, the comments on Smoaky.com were almost nothing but cordial on behalf of both teams

The comment about the #1 ranking DOES apply...The comment I made wasn't about the ranking as much as it was about the schedule (go back and read the sugar-coated comment...#1 ranking is an afterthought) Gilmer being a tougher oponent than say, Bullard, Sabine, etc....

Tatum_Fan
09-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Manck
If I remember correctly, Tatum was ranked second in the state in either 1997 or 1998, came to Gilmer and got beat 28-27. Of course, Gilmer stayed home when the playoffs rolled around.

Actually, maybe it was '95 or '96, because it wasn't during those two years that Gilmer went 4A.

I am not sure...I graduated from Tatum in 92 came back to work for the district in 98 - I had a Tatum Eagle dry spell for a few years.

Aesculus gilmus
09-13-2006, 11:34 AM
In 1996, Gilmer upset No. 9 Tatum, 17-0. Tatum did not make a first down until the 1:08 mark of the third quarter.

Gsquared
09-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Hey, Gilmers base D looks to be a 3-5-3 stack. Comes in handy against all these spread teams. No coaching staff can go in and in one week implement a new base D for one game. Gilmer defense did a good job against Tatum. Gilmer Nose was having a field day, not sure what technique the DE was playing for Gilmer but he was able to pinch and slow things in that gap and keep contain on the outside. You sir, should probably come back here when you get a little football knowledge and then you can complain about coaching :rolleyes: I tell ya, if welding was on TV, we would have a ton of welding experts too

Buckeye80
09-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Tatum_Fan
The double standard comes in this form...you congratulate a team for going toe-to-toe then a few sentences later "rub salt" in the wound...hello???

The second double standard is degrading Tatum fans while you, yourself are on here doing the exact thing that you accuse Tatum fans of...do you catch the drift now?

As far as the respect thing goes, I work in the district...I know what the kids and coaches really think of Gilmer....Evans and Traylor speak highly of each other...Being the man that you are, don't hold a few comments from Tatum fans against us, and I won't hold the comments made against Tatum against you...

Also, the comments on Smoaky.com were almost nothing but cordial on behalf of both teams

My comments were directed at the Tatum fans; not all, just the ones running their heads on the radio and television the past few years. That was my mistake, seeming to lump all Tatum fans into one group as the target of my outburst. For that, I apologize.
AND.....All comments in that post i.e. (salt in the wound) were directed at fans, not players. I cannot say anything about the Tatum football team after their performance last Friday. I thought it was clear, by the initial statement, that I was impressed with Tatum's football team.
And once again, regarding the fans, I personally don't see "respect" to the Buckeyes from Tatum, but in all fairness, I don't see "anything" from Gilmer to the Eagles. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole respect issue as far as fans go. I know that the odds are that only the idiots make it onto the radio and television from any town, but as far as the Tatum/Gilmer "rivalry" goes, what I've heard from the Tatum fans is all I have on which to base my opinion.
As you appear to be a decent human being, I will extend the "olive branch" of peace to you on the condition that you police the big mouth knuckleheads down there in Tatum.:D
And I'll try to clarify my outbursts better.:D

Gsquared
09-13-2006, 11:49 AM
All in all, its was worth the 5 bucks. Seeing Gilmer and Tatum, two really good football teams. Both sides should be proud of thier teams performances.