PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer/Tatum storyline from Tyler Telegraph

lostaussie
09-09-2006, 09:27 AM
BUCKEYES TOP DEFENDING CHAMPS
By PHILLIP WILLIAMS, Sports Correspondent
09/08/2006
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
GILMER - In what was billed as the "East Texas Super Bowl," performed before a probable-record Buckeye Stadium audience estimated at a breathtaking 10,000, the No.-2 ranked Gilmer Buckeyes of Class 3A transformed the top-rated Tatum Eagles of Class 2A into an endangered species Friday night.

Gilmer's nuclear-strength offense wore the tread off a Tatum team noted for relying on both-way players.

And Buckeye runner Justin Johnson tallied touchdowns in three different ways to join quarterback G.J. Kinne as the co-star of Gilmer trumping Tatum, 45-21.

Johnson hoofed for one TD, snagged a pass for another, and returned an interception 89 yards for a third. Kinne meantime sneaked for two touchdowns, heaved for another, and was 8-for-11 for 237 yards in the friendly skies.

But another factor in the outcome was that Gilmer's defense forced Tatum's offense to err at critical times deep in Buckeye territory.

The Eagles fumbled to the Buckeyes at the Gilmer 10 in the third quarter. And, at the start of the fourth quarter, Tatum was on Gilmer's 1-yard line-only to lose five yards on a botched pitch, and then have Johnson spear quarterback Cashas Pollard's aerial for a long-distance TD.

Gilmer led 31-21 at twirling time after an 80-minute first half that lived up to expectations of an ode to offense.

The Buckeyes accepted the opening kickoff and hopped 63 yards in seven plays, tallying when Johnson ripped for four yards. Matt Burgin airlifted the first of six PATs with 9:43 left in the first quarter.

After Gilmer tried an unsuccessful onside kick, Tatum swiftly evened the score, pushing 49 yards in only four plays.

Lennon Creer (25 carries, 132 yards) hiked the final 23 yards, and Jose Trejo launched the first of his three PATs with 7:59 left in the initial stanza.

But the hosts' promptly regained command, rumbling 62 yards on three passes by Kinne. The big bang was a 41-yarder to Curtis Brown, who finished the night with three catches for 109 yards, with 6:52 left in the first.

After Tatum turned over the football on downs at the Gilmer 42, the Buckeyes swiftly slid into TD territory again. It took just three plays-runs of 32 by Brown, 25 by Johnson, and a 1-yard scoring sneak by Kinne with 3:17 still left in the first.

ŠTyler Morning Telegraph 2006

Tiger Baseball
09-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Man where did yall put 10'000 fans?

lostaussie
09-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Tiger Baseball
Man where did yall put 10'000 fans? it was crazy. got to the field about 5:45 and got my usual standing spot at top rail above bleachers around 30 yard line. had to go to little boys room. evidently i got a 15 yard penalty cause when i came back i was at 15 yard line. did not go to bathroom anymore:D. stood in one place till game was over at 11.

Tiger Baseball
09-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
it was crazy. got to the field about 5:45 and got my usual standing spot at top rail above bleachers around 30 yard line. had to go to little boys room. evidently i got a 15 yard penalty cause when i came back i was at 15 yard line. did not go to bathroom anymore:D. stood in one place till game was over at 11.

LOL No bladder pains during game. I just watched the hilights on FSN looked to be an exciting game. Traylor made a comment to his team at the half that he had the players that he wanted on his team and he didn't want any others. LOL who else could he want. Just thought that was kinda funny.