PDA

View Full Version : Sinton-Gp stats & article

pirate4state
09-09-2006, 09:19 AM
No offense ...
But Pirates don't need any in upset win vs. Wildcats

By Lee Goddard Caller-Times
September 9, 2006

PORTLAND - With a young offense still trying to find its niche, the Sinton High football team can lean heavily on its other two units.

Sinton's defense held Gregory-Portland in check Friday night and, along with the Pirates' special teams, set up or scored all of the team's points. With three plays making all the difference, Sinton trumped the host Wildcats 17-0 in a fierce defensive game.

Thirty minutes into the contest, the Class 3A Pirates (1-1) had just 58 yards of offense but had scored all 17 points. A long interception return by Robert Dunlap, a nifty kick runback by Chris Goetzel and an errant snap on a G-P punt delivered the offense.

"Defense stepped up this week," said Sinton linebacker Andres Alaniz, who had 11 tackles. "(Setting up) points has definitely been a big part of the game plan. Defense has to do what we are taught to do, and that will set up the stuff for the offense."

Conversely, Wildcats coach George Harris was dismayed. His defense held the Pirates to 101 total yards. His offense, meanwhile, had generated 226 yards - but his team had lost, not even scoring.

Harris rattled off the mistakes - two turnovers, a blocked punt, a hold that negated a 71-yard scoring run by quarterback Holden Rios and two bad punt snaps, including one out of the end zone for a safety.

Class 4A G-P (1-1) pushed into Sinton territory on six drives but came up empty every time, failing three times on fourth down.

"I certainly wasn't prepared for the mistakes we made," Harris said. "Very disappointed. I've never seen so many mistakes. Frustrating."

The frustration began late in the first quarter. Dunlap stepped in front of a Rios pass at the Pirates 19 and raced 78 yards before Rios ran him down at the Wildcats 3. Two plays and a penalty later, Cruz Aranda took an inside handoff and ran eight yards for the score.

"I've been telling people that I'm really proud of our defense," Pirates coach Jimmie Mitchell said. "They played really good last week (in a 29-0 loss to 3A No. 1 Cuero) but gave up some big plays. We're getting there. We're not there yet, but we're getting there."

Goetzel started the second half with a burst. Fielding the kickoff at his 2, Goetzel danced through and ran over and around the Wildcats special teams, getting hauled down at the G-P 19. Five plays later, Josh Ring bulled in from the 3.

Then there was more to aggrieve Harris. Sinton had a bad snap on the extra point, but kicker Matt Villarreal alertly scooped up the ball, rolled left and ran in for a 2-point conversion for a 15-0 lead.

Six minutes later, after the Wildcats had a three-and-out-series deep in their own territory, the icing came with a wild snap that sailed beyond Rios, lined up as the punter. He grabbed it in the back of the end zone and swatted it out of bounds for a safety and a 17-0 Pirates lead.

The lead was safe, as Sinton checked the G-P passing game, holding the Wildcats to three completions on 14 attempts.

Overall, that allowed Sinton to rebound nicely from the Cuero game.

"This was a boost for our offense and defense," Alaniz said. "We did give a lot of effort against Cuero. Cuero's just a great team. We played our heart out then. We played it out (tonight). This time, it paid off."

Sinton 7 0 10 0 - 17

G-P 0 0 0 0 - 0

S - Cruz Aranda 8 run (Matt Villarreal kick)

S - Josh Ring 3 run (Villarreal run)

S - Safety, ball snapped out of end zone

TEAM STATISTICS

....................Sinton ...........................G-P

First downs.......7 .................................... 11

Rushes-yards.....39-94...................... 39-173

Passes..........1-5-1............................... 3-14-1

Yards Passing.....7................................ 53

Punts..............3-29.7........................ 2-25.5

Fumble-lost....3-1................................ 2-1

Penalties...7-45............................... 5-34

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING - SINTON, J. Ring 16-60, Aranda 6-18, W. Ring 8-15, Collins 8-7, TEAM 1-(minus-6). G-P, Smith 10-45, Rios 12-39, Parker 6-36, Pettis 9-34, Shrader 2-19.

PASSING - SINTON, W. Ring 1-5-1-7. G-P, Rios 3-13-1-53, Shrader 0-1-0-0.

RECEIVING - SINTON Aranda 1-7. G-P Parker 2-31, Pettis 1-22.

Contact Lee Goddard at 886-3613 or HYPERLINK mailto:goddardl@caller.com goddardl@caller.com

rgn4fb
09-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Way to go Pirates!

pirate4state
09-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Obviously our offense still has alot of work to do, but at least we improved from last week. ;)

Our Special teams this week did a MUCH BETTER job!!! Getting pressure on those punts and that kick return!!! KUDOS!!! :clap:

Sinton's defense is CRAZY, SCARY GOOD!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: If our offense doesn't come around those boys will be the reason we win games. Mitchell has been saying this from the beginning.

Defense wins championships!!!

Good win Sinton regardless of the "no offense" .... you found a way to win and at the end of each game that is ALL that matters!!

Gp's Kaleb Shrader is very good. Heard his name and saw him flying around all over the place!!! Your QB is a shifty guy and gave our "D" fits all night!! And to run down RDunlap after the interception was :eek: :eek:. Gp will bounce back. They did beat us in every other catergory. Good luck the rest of the season!

sinton3055
09-09-2006, 10:40 AM
# 40 Hasseltine is a beast he was all over the field

SintonFan_inAustin
09-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by sinton3055
# 40 Hasseltine is a beast he was all over the field

there was one play like when a lion snatches a gazzille outof mid air. was that trent h. or charlie s.?

District303aPastPlayer
09-09-2006, 11:04 AM
i dont know, but i saw Villareal just upend someone in a very hard hit near the GP side

pirate44
09-09-2006, 11:10 AM
did anyone see how art mack spun this one? maybe he was fair. i didnt see.:thinking:

sinton66
09-09-2006, 11:12 AM
I never watch that channel anymore.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i dont know, but i saw Villareal just upend someone in a very hard hit near the GP side

it might had been matt then. :eek:

pirate44
09-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
I never watch that channel anymore.
since he lives in portland, i assume he was grinding his teeth as he was doing the broadcast :D

District303aPastPlayer
09-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
since he lives in portland, i assume he was grinding his teeth as he was doing the broadcast :D

either that or he totally bypassed it... and just stated the score... "Sinton wins 17-0 over GP in a HUGE SHOCKER"...and moved on...

SintonFan_inAustin
09-09-2006, 11:45 AM
either that or he totally bypassed it... and just stated the score... "Sinton wins 17-0 over GP in a HUGE SHOCKER"...and moved on...

hes not GP King in disguise is he?:)

District303aPastPlayer
09-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
hes not GP King in disguise is he?:)

naaaa, but hes a jerk. he ripped me a new one at work, and i couldnt say anything back... all because he doesnt know how to use a self checkout :D

Blastoderm55
09-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Highlights should be up at www.kristv.com if you guys want to see what ol Mack said about ya.

pirate44
09-09-2006, 11:51 AM
naaaa, but hes a jerk. he ripped me a new one at work, and i couldnt say anything back... all because he doesnt know how to use a self checkout :D
sometimes a job aint that important. i wish i was in line behind him. i woulda done your dirty work :D

District303aPastPlayer
09-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
sometimes a job aint that important. i wish i was in line behind him. i woulda done your dirty work :D

his kid is nice though... said sorry and have a good day... he's also a GP All Star for their baseball team... has been for a couple of years i believe...

anyway... GO PIRATES!!

RiverRat19
09-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Just curious, but when was the last time Gregory-Portland got shut out at home? Has it happened since 1970? I'd be surprised if it had happened ever. That is a powerhouse program that lives and breathes football and is always in the mix for state. Impressive win for Sinton.

Cameron Crazy
09-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Good job Pirates!!:clap:

Sinton94
09-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
Just curious, but when was the last time Gregory-Portland got shut out at home? Has it happened since 1970? I'd be surprised if it had happened ever. That is a powerhouse program that lives and breathes football and is always in the mix for state. Impressive win for Sinton.

Your right............that may be a first!:clap: :clap:

Way to go PIRATES!

PLAY HARD! Said it all last night!:eek: