PDA

View Full Version : La Grange @ Sealy

Pudlugger
09-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Well the Leps are 2-0 going into 0-2 Sealy next Friday. Sealy has faced two excellent teams in Bellville and Rice (2A). They have given up over 80 points to these probable deep playoff teams. La Grange has given up 36 points to Lockhart (4A) and Yoakum, two teams that will no doubt make trouble for opposition in their districts. [Yoakum impressed me with their tenacity and speed. They are a well coached team that is going to get better soon when some key injuries heal.]

I see the outcome of this game revolving on the defenses. Both teams have speed and athleticism and can score in the air or on the ground. La Grange must harden its defense in the middle. They have the speed to shut down the end sweeps and excellent pass defense. Their defense of the straight ahead stuff over guard or tackle on the inside has been inconsistant. If they can step it up here the defense will be salty.

The Leps proved they are human in game two with numerous unnecessary penalties after a near perfect first game. I suspect they will tighten things up by next week. Also, special teams will be an important factor. The Leps had some trouble in the kicking game with a short field punt (incredible Yoakum 20 yard bounce and role LOL) and a couple of missed extra points. Granted it was raining pretty hard and undoubtedly that was a factor. As for returns, the Leps had two long ones called back last night for illegal blocks. One 45 yard punt return and another 90 yard kickoff return for a td. I'd like to see the films here LOL. Sealy has an excellent punter I hear so that will weigh in heavily.

The Lep coaches have done an excellent job preparing this team for a difficult schedule. I expect they will be ready to play Friday.

LG 35
Sealy 17

rhs78
09-09-2006, 09:12 AM
If La Grange will stop #21 Kevin Rodgers they should win by a couple tds. Rogers is Sealy's offense and for some reason Rice could not tackle him all nite long he ran for 215 yards. Sealy's passing game is not very effective at all but they do like to try an control the clock and keep the defense from making changes by using the no-huddle offense. La Grange 31-14.

Bull's-eye
09-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Sealy looks like a young team that will vastly improve with each game. Looks like the Tigers have found their running game, but need to improve on their passing. I think LaGrange will win this one, but in a much closer game like 24-20.

hereandnow
09-09-2006, 01:13 PM
La Grange 27, Sealy 13. The Leps are by far the spoiler in its league.

Bull's-eye
09-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by hereandnow
La Grange 27, Sealy 13. The Leps are by far the spoiler in its league.

You might be right, but something's cooking in Caldwell besides Kolaches.

Pudlugger
09-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
You might be right, but something's cooking in Caldwell besides Kolaches.

LOL you are right Bulls-eye. It is going to be interesting in a month when the district play begins. Fortunately the Leps play Caldwell at home and they always do better in their own house. Unfortunately they play Giddings and Bellville on the road. I think it all comes down to coaching and how well they are prepared for these games. I think they may surprise some folks, this is a talented, big and fast team. The OL reminds me of the 1999-2003 teams. Big and athletic.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Sealy has played two teams ranked in the top 10 in 2a and 3a. Sealy will win at home vs La Grange but the score will be close.

Pudlugger
09-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Sealy has played two teams ranked in the top 10 in 2a and 3a. Sealy will win at home vs La Grange but the score will be close.

Yes they also had more than 80 points hung on them by these two teams. Had it been close I might agree. If the Leps bring their A game they will win this one. Focus and determination as always will decide the outcome. I still like the Leps chances but Sealy is always tough at home.

scotty
09-11-2006, 07:58 AM
It is surprising how the talent pool has dipped in Sealy. It seems that each year they are having to rebuild and the rebuilding is taking place with a bunch of small frail-looking kids.
This year all the teams the Tigers have faced in scrimmages as well as regular games, Hempstead, Giddings, Bellville and Rice are undefeated and in the top ten in their classification. Getting romped on by your opponents can be very hard on an inexperienced, rebuilding team.
But in spite of that, what I see is a Sealy bunch that plays hard to the end, they are in good shape, show improvement and sometimes as a parent or fan that is all you can expect. Last week their offense was impressive and hopefully that progress can continue on both sides of the ball.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Yes they also had more than 80 points hung on them by these two teams.

76 points to be exact.

Pudlugger
09-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
76 points to be exact.

Thanks, I couldn't remember the exact scores. Just put it on my tab.:D

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Sealy is due for a win, im thinking since it is in sealy, they will get the homefield calls. La Grange is a better team, but once again the game is in sealy.

Pudlugger
09-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Since 2000 the record is 4-3 Sealy. LG won in 2000 @ Sealy, 2002 @ home, 2003 they split losing @ Sealy in the predistrict and winning @ home in round one of the playoffs. Sealy won @ home in 2004 and @ LG in 2005(?). The series has been very close in the recent past (since 2000). These two teams always match up well and play each other tough. In close games officiating can be a factor (homers). I hope the refs let them play football and if there are some questionable calls they cancel themselves out for both teams. La Grange has been in Sealy's stadium forever and there is not that much of an intimidation factor. The Lep fans will turn out and make some noise. Here's to a clean game with no injuries.

scotty
09-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I've watched Sealy football for many years and I can't remember any home town calls that shifted a game in Sealy's direction. All the years T.J. Mills was in Sealy he was so tough on referees to where I believe there were times when Sealy was flagged for something that otherwise would have been overlooked. Referees didn't like to call games in Sealy as TJ would question every call and he was so up on the rules he sometimes stumped the officials and they don't like to be shown up.
Someone posted earlier about the refs putting Sealy back in the game last week. A Sealy kid ran back a blocked field goal 102 yards that would have really tightened up the score, but it was called back because of a block below the knees real near the original line of scrimmage. Later a Rice player picked up a fumble and ran it back for what would have been a TD only to have it called back because one of the Raiders made an illegal block 20 yards of so behind the play right in front of the head linesman. Sealy's success in the 90's wasn't because of officiating and if a turnaround comes again it won't be because of officiating.

Pudlugger
09-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by scotty
I've watched Sealy football for many years and I can't remember any home town calls that shifted a game in Sealy's direction. All the years T.J. Mills was in Sealy he was so tough on referees to where I believe there were times when Sealy was flagged for something that otherwise would have been overlooked. Referees didn't like to call games in Sealy as TJ would question every call and he was so up on the rules he sometimes stumped the officials and they don't like to be shown up.
Someone posted earlier about the refs putting Sealy back in the game last week. A Sealy kid ran back a blocked field goal 102 yards that would have really tightened up the score, but it was called back because of a block below the knees real near the original line of scrimmage. Later a Rice player picked up a fumble and ran it back for what would have been a TD only to have it called back because one of the Raiders made an illegal block 20 yards of so behind the play right in front of the head linesman. Sealy's success in the 90's wasn't because of officiating and if a turnaround comes again it won't be because of officiating.

I agree, the calls, good and bad, usually cancel out. The game Friday will be decided by the coaching and the players on the field. La Grange gives up nothing playing at Sealy, it is a "Home away from home" as far as they are concerned. There will be plenty of Leopard fans there to support the team. Good luck and play clean.

sabre1
09-12-2006, 11:45 PM
You guys are killing me. LG beats a very bad lockhart team and a yoakum team that could only score 7 points on columbus. And ya'll think they are going to make the district interesting.
I have seen LG this season and granted they might be better than last year but that by no means places them next to Giddings or Bellville.

Pudlugger
09-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by sabre1
You guys are killing me. LG beats a very bad lockhart team and a yoakum team that could only score 7 points on columbus. And ya'll think they are going to make the district interesting.
I have seen LG this season and granted they might be better than last year but that by no means places them next to Giddings or Bellville.

No one said anything about Giddings or Bellville. This is a thread about La Grange and Sealy. We'll talk about Giddings and Bellville when the time comes. Now, with that in mind, who do you like in this match-up?

bd62
09-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Lagrange is a very good football team. Very large and physicial offensive line .Q.B. is a good passer and does a good job of reading defenses.There scheme works well with with the personell they have. They call the plays at the line and attack the weakness of the defense. They are in a very tough dist. in region 3. What is sad is there are only about 3 teams in Region 4 that could make the playoffs in this dist.The uil really screwed up by taking Liberty Hill, West Columbia,Wharton,Needville, and Sweeney and moving them to r-3. Cuero,Sinton , and Wimberity are the only teams left that are anywhere close to r-3 caliber of teams.

scotty
09-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Sabre1, I don't know who you are or where you are from, but sometimes you have to be proud of what you have in a given year. I know that La Grange has won at least two state football championships and were the runners-up in another. Sealy has won five and were the runners-up in another. I don't believe that either team has any chance of repeating anytime soon, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be proud and supportive of the kids who are out there now. How many state championships has the team you are supporting racked up...this is an honest question as I just don't know. But if you have ever followed a team that has gone all the way you know that it's an ubelievable experience, and if you haven't I hope you have that opportunity. Unless you have to knock off Bellville, Sealy or Rice to get there.

Pudlugger
09-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Hey thanks Scotty, well said.:clap:

cdlvj
09-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Pud,

What is your take on the missed extra points?

Also, the one thing that I think is not smart is the pooch kick off's.
Hunter is probably one of the best kickers in the state.

Pudlugger
09-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by cdlvj
Pud,

What is your take on the missed extra points?

Also, the one thing that I think is not smart is the pooch kick off's.
Hunter is probably one of the best kickers in the state.

The rain didn't help with the two missed extra points. Maybe a loss of concentration as well. I don't see this as a problem going ahead in the season. I agree about the pooch kicks. Not only is Hunter an excellent kicker capable of putting the ball into the endzone for a touchback, the kickoff special teams are very good in getting downfield and making their tackles. The pooch kicks probably were an attempt to get a turnover in a wet field situation. The Leps return teams looked great despite the clipping call on that 90 yard return by Hunter and 60 yard punt return by Neiser. The Leps appear on the verge of becoming a really good football team. If they improve from week to week they will be ready for the tough district schedule. Hope coach Walker worked on the penalties in practice this week. The Leps lost concentration in the second half when several calls and non-calls went against them A good team has to shrug that off and remain focused. They'll learn I bet after watching the films and working on adjustments in practice.

scotty
09-14-2006, 03:01 PM
I don't like the pooch kickoffs either. In all the games I've watched, the teams have gone to it. I know they are trying to avoid a big runback, but I just believe teams give up too much field position most of the time.

Pudlugger
09-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by scotty
I don't like the pooch kickoffs either. In all the games I've watched, the teams have gone to it. I know they are trying to avoid a big runback, but I just believe teams give up too much field position most of the time.

I agree, it gives up too much field position. It is useful if your team lacks a powerful kicker and if the kickoff defense is questionable. Also, if the return team is green up front it may lead to more turnovers. It is a gamble either way. If you can kick it into the endzone then that is best most of the time.

Pudlugger
09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Any Sealy fans out there want to tell us about the Tigers? How is their O line this year? They've had some horses up front in recent past. Do they run the same offense, lots of misdirection, sweeps and dives over the middle? I here their kicking game , especially the punter, is pretty good too. Looking forward to the kickoff tonight. Here's to a good game and no injuries.
Go Leps!

18handicap
09-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Good luck to Coach Walker and the Leps tonight at Sealy!!! Working last year with him and the kids there was a great experience that I will always remember. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see them when they play at Navasota for a playoff spot. (Tonight we host Westlake -- gotta stay here for that one!!)
BH

Pudlugger
09-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
Good luck to Coach Walker and the Leps tonight at Sealy!!! Working last year with him and the kids there was a great experience that I will always remember. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see them when they play at Navasota for a playoff spot. (Tonight we host Westlake -- gotta stay here for that one!!)
BH

So how's College Station this year?

Pudlugger
09-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Sealy 10 La Grange 6 at the half. The Leps are struggling with too many penalties. They receive in 3rd quarter so hopefully they will settle down a play well. Rogers #22 for Sealy is impressive.

18handicap
09-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Huge......

Our game with Westlake was stopped in the 2nd quarter (10:40 left) with the score tied at 7-7 when a Westlake player collapsed on the sideline. He was administered CPR and rushed to a local hospital. The schools decided to cancel the game at that point because of the severity of the situation. We also found out that one of our graduates lost his life in a major accident on SH 6 today and it will be tough for the kids and coaches to bear, so say a little prayer for the kids and communities of both schools to survive these tragedies as best as possible.

I'm hoping the Leps can pull it out.
BH

Pudlugger
09-15-2006, 09:35 PM
La Grange scores on 17 yrd pass, extra point good. LG 13 Sealy 10 late in 3rd.

Pudlugger
09-15-2006, 10:24 PM
La Grange 20- Sealy 13 final. Great defense in second half topped off with two great scoring drives to seal the victory and spoil the Tiger homecoming. Sealy played tough and never were out of this game. Leps go 3-0. Gonzales at home next week.

hutex04
09-15-2006, 10:25 PM
great win, looks like la grange is back on top where they are suppost to be. Hutto beat Gonzales tonight 41-7. Congrats on the win

Pudlugger
09-16-2006, 08:46 AM
The Leps managed to keep close until late in the third then pulled ahead by 3. They then stopped Sealy at the 4 and forced a field goal in the fourth tying it up 13 all. They held Sealy and put together a nice drive to score the winning td with under a minute to go on a long pass play. Hopefully the Leps will tighten up their game Friday and win convincingly against Gonzales at home in Leopard Stadium.:)