PDA

View Full Version : Prayers go out to Odessa Coach Family and Friends

Ranger Mom
10-18-2002, 09:22 AM
An Odessa Jr. High Head Coach died of a massive heart attack 3 minutes into their game last night. From what I just read, the game was immediately cancelled and counselors called in to help the kids, who were understandably traumatized! Evidently, the coach had retired some time earlier, but couldn't stand it, so he came out of retirement to coach again.

Titans
10-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Our prayers here will be sent out to all those associated with this tragedy.

My heart goes out to those kids. I can't imagine what they are going through today.

Keep the faith!

CHS_Grad '85
10-18-2002, 09:42 AM
My condolances to the family and friends of the coach. I also pray for his "kids". I see how close our kids are to their coaches and know how tramatized they would be.

Vaya con Dios

Ranger Mom
10-18-2002, 09:43 AM
I just wanted to add this first-hand account that I read earlier. It kinda puts things back into perspective. This was written by a Midland fan (Odessa and Midland were playing).

Kids from both schools could use extra thoughts and prayers right now. It was so horrible to sit there and watch and be so helpless.

The Ector kids were bawling so hard and screaming. The Lee kids were so awesome to the Ector kids, as I know Ector would have been to the Lee kids, had it been reversed.

This man evidently has touched a lot of kids in his coaching career, I was able to hear one Ector kid scream, as both teams were huddled in the end zone together, "Please keep praying, We need him, he is more than a coach to us".

I just keep hearing that in my mind, and just keeps breaking my heart that this kid will be with out his coach now.

Situations like this certainly put everything into perspective. You just don't know when your life is going to change.

Hopefully, this coach died without too much pain and right where he would have wanted to be on the football field surrounded by his players.

Rabbit'93
10-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Man that was tough. My prayers are with everyone involved. Sometimes coaches are like second fathers (only fathers in some cases) to these kids, I know mine was. It's just a hard lesson about life these boys had to learn last night, and with the Lords help they will get through this.

oldbuff78
10-18-2002, 10:30 AM
Another thing to remember is coaches teach skills that help you in all areas of life and a person. If this man was more than that, pray for young men several times daily.