PDA

View Full Version : Decatur produces QB's as good as anyone

Chief Woodman
11-21-2002, 10:45 AM
Lets go back 6 years. In 7th grade Decatur had two very good QB's. The 2nd string QB won the national punt, pass and kick contest, but was still 2nd string. So the next year his dad moved him to bridgeport. That is is right, Philp D. So why is Decatur starting a Sophmore this year instead of the senior who was better than Phillip? Because after the 8th grade, that player was heading to high school and his dad was the middle school coach. When his dad applied to be a high school coach, he was not allowed to move up to the high school. Thus, his dad moved to another town taking our 1st string QB (the one who started ahead of Phillip) with him. Who was this 1st string QB? None other than Kevin Kobb, the now starting QB for Stephenville. Bet most folks didn't know that. Also, the start JR QB for Pottsboro, Brad Love also came from Decatur. Poor Brad was 3rd string here so his dad moved him to live with his granparents so he could start at QB somewhere. So we have Chandler Dane, who even the head coach at bridgeport says is better than Phillip was as a sophmore. Backing him up is a Junior who could start at alot of other 3A schools. Just wanted to let folks know......

MASH4077
11-21-2002, 10:56 AM
Dont forget Jordan Chambliss,who is the starting quarterback at C.C. Calallen who's dad was a coach at Decatur when Jordan was in 6th grade.Calallens record is 10-1.

Chief Woodman
11-21-2002, 12:01 PM
Yes you are correct. Did not mean to overlook him. I just was not sure how long my post could be.

BullBacker
11-21-2002, 04:41 PM
Thats a big shame big chief. I believe that if Decatur had hired Henson back in 1993 when they had a chance they would not have lost these players. Most of those guys just wanted to go to a winning program.

WOnder who Bport will claim of Decaturs squad for next year.

big daddy russ
11-21-2002, 05:03 PM
dang, thats something. i knew about daugherty, but not all the others. chambless started for calallen as a freshman, mostly on defense as a safety, on a team that went to the state semifinals and lost to west orange stark in the last minute of the game. thats a whole lot of talent that would have all been on the same team this year. my word.

Chief Woodman
11-21-2002, 05:21 PM
Dear Bull backer,

Wanted to tell ya I have seen some of yoour posts- and I respect your comments. You seem to be honest and level headed in your postings. I respect Henson, but if yoou you knew Kyle Story you would respect him also. Decatur has missed the playoffs the last two years partily due to talent leaving, but also because we were up against some good teams, including B'port. If memory serves correctly, we missed the playoffs two years ago only by a tie breaker with Bridgeport. It is not inconcieviable that even with Philip, B'port might have missed the playoffs that year. As far as you fellas getting any more of the talent from here, I wouldn't count on it. 10-0 in regular season with a SOPHMORE QB sure encourages everyone to stay with the current District Champs. Sorry you guys fell in the first round. Would have liked to see a game betwwen us in the playoffs, would have been very entertaining.

widowspeak52
11-21-2002, 08:00 PM
BullBacker,
It seems like Bridgeport is gonna have it pretty rough for a few years and Decatur has a fairly young team, looks like Decatur is going to have a winning program for more years to come. By the way is Henson going to hit the trail after his star QB graduates?

VWG
11-21-2002, 11:21 PM
Guys, before we go and anoint Decatur the next "Quarterback U", let's see them go far in the playoffs. Granted it appears that Decatur has had some good athletes pass through the halls recently, but haven't other schools? Look at some of the tailbacks that Vernon has gone through. James Dixon in the 80's (U of Houston and Dallas Cowboys), Bernard Scott would have been all state if he hadn't moved this past year, and they had a kid a few years ago that played RB at Baylor. What about Sweetwater with their athletes? They've got a kid that started at safety for Nebraska the past couple of years.
Please don't get me wrong, I am not sayin' that the Eagles don't have talent. Let's just not hand them too much credit until they prove it on the field and if these QB's are that good then let's see where they play on Saturday afternoon in a few years.

The One
11-22-2002, 08:17 AM
I have known about all QB's Decatur has lost but I really never thought about this: Had Henson went to Decatur in 93 can you imagine Decatur running the spread offense with Kolb, Daughtery and Dane. My God we may have had another Celina dynasty on our hands.

Widow,
Bridgeport will probably have a rough time like you said. We have a really good QB coming up same size as Daughtery very accurate not quite the arm strength. The only problem will be he will have less of a supporting cast then Daughtery did this year. Decatur on the other hand looks to have 2 very exciting years ahead of them. Its a shame that Bport and Decatur couldn't have teams like they did this year every year it would make for an exciting Battle.

big daddy russ
11-22-2002, 01:48 PM
VWG:
...Please don't get me wrong, I am not sayin' that the Eagles don't have talent. Let's just not hand them too much credit until they prove it on the field and if these QB's are that good then let's see where they play on Saturday afternoon in a few years.According to the TexasPrepXtra preseason rundown, Kolb is a top-125 prospect in the state of Texas and Daugherty is a top-300 prospect. They are two of 33 quarterbacks rated as top prospects on that site and surely Daugherty's stock has risen since the preseason. I've been hearing that he's verbally committed to Texas Tech, a school that has a very offensive-minded coach (came from the Bob Stoops program up in Oklahoma) and he should be a player in a few years. He was the lower-rated of the two QB's. As for Chambless, he's still only a junior, but will surely be playing on Saturdays as anything he wants to play. The kid's an athlete with great size and great speed. He was a running back/receiver/defensive back as a freshman on that Calallen team and could probably help out an option-type offense (Nebraska?) if he decides he wants to keep playing QB. I'm not a college scout, so I can't tell you he's good enough to make that program, but he's definitely a D-I prospect.

http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=91717