PDA

View Full Version : 22nd Annual Kolache Festival...

CHS_CG
09-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Just a reminder to all that the 22nd annual Kolache Festival is being held tomorrow, in the kolache capital of Texas, CALDWELL. It will be downtown on the square startin at 9 and goin all day. There will be a kolache eatin contest, beer, kolache judging,beer, kids park,beer, shopping, great food, beer, and live music. If yall arent doing anything you should make the short drive(for some) to Caldwell!

garageoffice
09-08-2006, 10:13 AM
A kolache festival? That's a dream come true!!! :D

Shame I can't make it. :(

AggieJohn
will there be beer?

CHS_CG
just to save the questions i had last year when i posted something about this

Kolache

Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuh-lah-chee, -lahch-kee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun, plural -ky. a sweet bun filled with jam or pulped fruit.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/7/7c/250px-Kolache.jpg

Bullaholic
Originally posted by CHS_CG
Just a reminder to all that the 22nd annual Kolache Festival is being held tomorrow, in the kolache capital of Texas, CALDWELL. It will be downtown on the square startin at 9 and goin all day. There will be a kolache eatin contest, beer, kolache judging,beer, kids park,beer, shopping, great food, beer, and live music. If yall arent doing anything you should make the short drive(for some) to Caldwell!

But, will there be any beer? :D

pirate4state
09-08-2006, 10:16 AM

Kolache

Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuh-lah-chee, -lahch-kee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/7/7c/250px-Kolache.jpg

Thanks. :)

vet93
09-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I thought that Snook was the Kolache Capital....at least that is where I always used to go when I was at Aggieland!

CHS_CG
09-08-2006, 10:17 AM
no problem!:inlove:

SintonFan
09-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Yes yes yes... I was raised on Kolaches. Sounds great T! How far is Caldwell from SA?:thinking:
Oh yeah, what about the beer?:inlove:

hereandnow
09-08-2006, 10:23 AM

Kolache

How many bakeries are there in Caldwell that actually bake them? The only one in town I know of is the Kolache Capital bake shop and they were so-so

hereandnow
09-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Yes yes yes... I was raised on Kolaches. Sounds great T! How far is Caldwell from SA?:thinking:

About 130 miles - best way is to take I-35 north, turn right at exit ramp toward Luling and hit Highway 21 toward Bastrop, where it becomes 71 briefly. Then follow signs in Bastrop (where it resumes Highway 21) to Caldwell toward Bryan.

pirate44
09-08-2006, 10:26 AM
best kolaches are the ones you buy at church bake sales made by old czech ladies.

but West has a couple great czech bakeries.

CHS_CG

depends on how you drive

probably 2 hrs and 45 minutes is the fastest you could get here.

hereandnow
Originally posted by pirate44
best kolaches are the ones you buy at church bake sales made by old czech ladies.

but West has a couple great czech bakeries.

My grandma would get up at 3 am to let the dough rise three times about 30-plus years ago. Sure miss her.

SintonFan
09-08-2006, 10:27 AM
depends on how you drive

probably 2 hrs and 45 minutes is the fastest you could get here.
Golly, I might as well go to the Gilmer game if I traveled that far. Oh well, one of these days.:cool:

CHS_CG
09-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by hereandnow
How many bakeries are there in Caldwell that actually bake them? The only one in town I know of is the Kolache Capital bake shop and they were so-so

Kolache capital is the only place i know of but most of the ones that are gettin sold tomorrow are homemade!

hereandnow
09-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Kolache capital is the only place i know of but most of the ones that are gettin sold tomorrow are homemade!

Yea the two best bakeries to cash in on is Blue Ribbon Bakery out of Bryan and Snook Baking Company (awesome cream cheese one).

Both win in various categories at the festival.

SintonFan
09-08-2006, 10:31 AM
About 130 miles - best way is to take I-35 north, turn right at exit ramp toward Luling and hit Highway 21 toward Bastrop, where it becomes 71 briefly. Then follow signs in Bastrop (where it resumes Highway 21) to Caldwell toward Bryan.
It seemed to take forever to just get to Bastrop from SA. Too many slow-pokes on the FM roads from San Marcus. Ok, it was hwy 21 but it sure looked like a Farm to Market to me.

Pudlugger
09-08-2006, 10:31 AM
La Grange has some good kolaches too. Stop off HWY 71 exit at the McDonald's sign and get your fresh Kolaches across the street at Weikles Bakery. That place is crowded on Saturday mornings! Great pigs in a blanket too!:inlove:

hereandnow
09-08-2006, 10:32 AM
It seemed to take forever to just get to Bastrop from SA. Too many slow-pokes on the FM roads from San Marcus. Ok, it was hwy 21 but it sure looked like a Farm to Market to me.

but lots of new road construction and a new overpass where the new highway is being constructed (Hwy 130).

You should take exit in San Marcos toward Luling before turning left to Bastrop. Glad you mentioned that.

hereandnow
09-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
La Grange has some good kolaches too. Stop off HWY 71 exit at the McDonald's sign and get your fresh Kolaches across the street at Weikles Bakery. That place is crowded on Saturday mornings! Great pigs in a blanket too!:inlove:

Yep, theirs are tasty too. There's a bakery out of Ennis who traditionally does well, too. Lots of Czechs from there.

SintonFan
09-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Yep, theirs are tasty too. There's a bakery out of Ennis who traditionally does well, too. Lots of Czechs from there.
Yes, but where's the cheapest place? You know us Czechs have never been accused of being foolish with our money.:D
And what about the beer, T?

Bull's-eye
09-08-2006, 11:39 AM

Found that one last month on a trip to Dallas. They were very good and only cost $6.50 a dozen. (Exit 251B off I-45)

CHS_CG
09-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Lots of beer D!!

AggieJohn
09-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by vet93
I thought that Snook was the Kolache Capital....at least that is where I always used to go when I was at Aggieland! snook's the capital of beerfest........errr, i mean chillifest

Bull's-eye
09-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Kolaches are free at the "Kolache Eating Contest". You just have to eat them really fast. :D

CHS_CG
09-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
snook's the capital of beerfest........errr, i mean chillifest

went to that too this year. GREAT time!

hereandnow
09-08-2006, 12:00 PM
went to that too this year. GREAT time!

Czilischpiel (it has a weird spelling, but can't recall) in Flatonia is pretty cool, too.

Bandera YaYa
09-08-2006, 12:58 PM
I have always called those "pastries or a danish"....when I tihink of a kolache, it's a pig in a blanket thingy...least that's what we call them here. Both are good eating!!

CHS_CG
09-08-2006, 02:47 PM
lol yup they are all great eatin!

spiveyrat
09-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I have always called those "pastries or a danish"....when I tihink of a kolache, it's a pig in a blanket thingy...least that's what we call them here. Both are good eating!!

Yeah, me too.

Maroon87
09-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
But, will there be any beer? :D

I'm glad you asked. I wasn't sure...:thinking: ;)