PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rather donates $2 million to SHSU

Maroon87
09-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Dan Rather gives alma mater $2 million
By The Associated Press

HUNTSVILLE, Texas - Dan Rather has donated $2 million to his alma mater, Sam Houston State University — the largest single monetary gift in the school's 127-year history.

"So many people, known and unknown, helped me to get through Sam Houston State when I was there, desperately trying to make it, that I've always wanted to give back — somehow, some way — to the best of my ability," the former "CBS Evening News" anchorman said Tuesday in a statement released by the university, which was known as Sam Houston State Teachers College when he attended.

A Houston native, Rather earned a bachelor's degree in journalism in 1953 at the school about 75 miles north of where he grew up.

The donation — made on the day Katie Couric made her highly publicized debut as his permanent successor — has been designated for scholarships and discretionary spending in the school's communications program.

"The gift from Dan Rather and his family is a milestone in Sam Houston State's history," university President James Gaertner said.

It's not the first gift Rather has made to his old school, where the communications building carries his name. He previously established scholarships and supported other programs.

Rather, 74, stepped down as CBS anchorman in March 2005 amid controversy over a discredited story on President Bush's military service. He's joining HDNet, a small network for owners of high-definition sets, to do a news show this fall.

Blastoderm55
09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
How much of this is going to Bomar? :D

injuredinmelee
09-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55

you stole my joke dangit!

big daddy russ
09-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Hell yeah. I just transferred in and the Mass Comm Dept is a mess. Maybe this will go to fixing some of that.

Blastoderm55
09-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
you stole my joke dangit!

Buahahahahahaah!

Texas-Fight
09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
That's cool. Congrats on the the donation SHSU.

I've read somewhere that most of the donation will go towards hospital bills when Texas tears a new on in em.

^^^^
JOKE!

BMOC
09-06-2006, 12:39 PM

How do you think SHSU got him??? He needed to make up for the lost income after losing his job in Norman. :D

maestro
09-06-2006, 07:55 PM
wow!!

we can afford more than just bomar now!!

go bearkats!!!!

Paratrooper
09-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Surprised he didn't donate to Al Qaida

WestTXLonghorn
09-06-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm surprised he didn't credit Sam Houston State for teaching him how to push his liberal agendas while he reported the news and how to lie to the entire country.

Rather=joke

Hope him and Mark Cuban get along well at their new network.:rolleyes:

3afan
09-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
Surprised he didn't donate to Al Qaida

:rolleyes:

Pudlugger
09-07-2006, 09:20 AM
What WestTXLonghorn said!

shankbear
09-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Hope they make sure that the check is real. Remember all the fake documents? Double check the check SHSU. This guy is a weasel.

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 10:13 AM
The moment I saw the title of this thread, I KNEW a bunch of right-wing fascists would find some stupid reason to twist the subject around.

I wonder how much Sean Hannity has contributed to help his college. Oops, that's right, I forgot, he DIDN'T GO TO COLLEGE!

Livin' off of daddy's paycheck until Fox found him a job.

... I'l go one further. I'll be only NOW will the subject of ROM come up.

spiveyrat
09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Isn't right wing fascist an oxymoron? :thinking:

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat

I think the word is "redundant."

shankbear
09-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Just like any other check....take it but verify it. His history is suspect. Not a right wing conspiracy or twist. He has proven himself. How did this get off on the weenie Hannity?

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by shankbear
Just like any other check....take it but verify it. His history is suspect. Not a right wing conspiracy or twist. He has proven himself. How did this get off on the weenie Hannity?

So if he took a story tip from an outside source and didn't check into it (like some people do with, say, wiretapping (cough), that makes him a hot check writer?

shankbear
09-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Nope. Never said he was a hot check writer. The guy left in disgrace from his long-held post at CBS. Why? He screwed the pooch on his misreporting and misrepresenting his so-called facts. His people had not verified those documents and he made the call with his producer to go with them any way. It appeared politically motivated. He helped make up the "news" instead of reporting the news. First rule in real journalism is to report the news.

His check is good. He is working on redeeming his legacy. Cash it and give it to Bomar.

In my business, good wiretaps and surveillence techniques work rather well.

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 10:42 AM
In my business, good wiretaps and surveillence techniques work rather well.

............. especially if you're a rich Republican and can avoid impeachment through entrapment. Can anyone say "Watergate?"

I don't know why it bothers me since I earn a whopping $42,000 a year. But as long as the immensely wealthy benefit with renewed green fees while everyone else eats Alpo for dinner, then by all means let them do as they wish.

shankbear
09-07-2006, 10:47 AM
WHAT? avoid impeachment by entrapment???????? Explain so all rich Republicans can avoid such conduct from now on.

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Isn't Orange close to, say, Vidor?

Blastoderm55
09-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat

Actually closer to a synonym than an oxymoron given today's circumstances. Keep in mind that people associate right wing with those to the extreme, not necessarily normal rational Republicans.

Maroon87
09-07-2006, 11:18 AM
It took a little longer than I thought for this to turn political...:thinking:

Blastoderm55
09-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
It took a little longer than I thought for this to turn political...:thinking:

The left didn't start the fire this time. :)

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 11:31 AM
normal rational Republicans.

Now THAT's an oxymoron!

Blastoderm55
09-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by hereandnow
Now THAT's an oxymoron!

Trying to be civil.

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Trying to be civil.

I hear ya :-)

bulldogman06
09-07-2006, 12:08 PM
............. especially if you're a rich Republican and can avoid impeachment through entrapment. Can anyone say "Watergate?"

I don't know why it bothers me since I earn a whopping $42,000 a year. But as long as the immensely wealthy benefit with renewed green fees while everyone else eats Alpo for dinner, then by all means let them do as they wish.

Dont give me this bs about poor liberals abused by rich republicans. im a republican, and I am by no means rich. If half of the liberals would stop wastin money on certain things, starting "conserving" money a little bit, then they would have nothing to complain about until they figured something else out

WestTXLonghorn
09-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Shrug. I think Rather's record speaks for itself. He was pushing the liberal side of things going WAAAAAAAAAAAAY back, even to when he got in a pissing match with Richard Nixon at the Presidential debates.

Rather finally just got so old and pissed off that he just lost it and didn't even bother to try and cover up his lies.

Arguing that a bunch of Republicans lie and bringing up some blowhard like Sean Hanitty (sic) isn't a good way to make an argument. Lots of politicans lie. . .lots of media people lie. Dan Rather was one of these people and regardless of what OTHER people do. . .he was a liar and a man who pushed his own personal agenda when he was supposed to stay objective. His own colleagues have said as much. There really isn't much to argue about here....

spiveyrat
09-07-2006, 12:36 PM
no... i think i had it right.

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
Dont give me this bs about poor liberals abused by rich republicans. im a republican, and I am by no means rich. If half of the liberals would stop wastin money on certain things, starting "conserving" money a little bit, then they would have nothing to complain about until they figured something else out

Let's face it. Republicans are merely KKK lovers who whitewash their racial hatred by claiming to be in favor of a Jesus pep rally.
You might fool others, but not me for one second.

3afan
09-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Let's face it. Republicans are merely KKK lovers who whitewash their racial hatred by claiming to be in favor of a Jesus pep rally.

thats just dumb

IMO

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
Shrug. I think Rather's record speaks for itself. He was pushing the liberal side of things going WAAAAAAAAAAAAY back, even to when he got in a pissing match with Richard Nixon at the Presidential debates.

Rather finally just got so old and pissed off that he just lost it and didn't even bother to try and cover up his lies.

Arguing that a bunch of Republicans lie and bringing up some blowhard like Sean Hanitty (sic) isn't a good way to make an argument. Lots of politicans lie. . .lots of media people lie. Dan Rather was one of these people and regardless of what OTHER people do. . .he was a liar and a man who pushed his own personal agenda when he was supposed to stay objective. His own colleagues have said as much. There really isn't much to argue about here....

Dan Rather has millions TO give away.

Do you?

bulldogman06
09-07-2006, 01:16 PM

Who is extreme now? You are a sad, sad person.

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
thats just dumb

IMO

Unless your mommy and daddy earn less than $50,000 combined with more than two kids to support and haven't been brainwashed by some Jerry Falwell, Jim Jones-loving church, give me three RATIONAL reason why anyone would WANT to vote Republican. THen explain how your opinion helps you financially.

bulldogman06
09-07-2006, 01:18 PM
wait wait wait, I thought earlier, it was the rich republicans taking away from the poor liberals.

bulldogman06
09-07-2006, 01:19 PM
and to reply to your statement, here are 3 reasons. pro-life, against gay marriage, and everyone is taxed equally

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Who is extreme now? You are a sad, sad person.

Maybe, but I'm no fool. Now run on down to the nearest convenience store to pump up Tricky Dick Cheney's disgustingly fat Halliburton wallet, and justify how this HELPS you.

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 01:22 PM
and to reply to your statement, here are 3 reasons. pro-life, against gay marriage, and everyone is taxed equally

YEP, you are the biggest redneck on the planet, just as I suspected.

How do any of those three affect you PERSONALLY? You want to adversely affect people who would benefit from issues that have NOTHING to do with you MORE than voting FOR something that would keep money in your wallet --- unless, of course, you DO make big bucks. If so, refer to my earlier green fees statement.

By the way didn't you leave off gun control issues so you can go huntin' in South Texas?

Blastoderm55
09-07-2006, 01:24 PM

But aren't Republicans against a flat tax? And as for gay marriage, perhaps allowing them to marry would actually strengthen the sanctity of marriage. Jeebus knows that us straight folk have certainly done everything possible to demean it at this point.

bulldogman06
09-07-2006, 01:27 PM
NOTHING TO DO WITH ME! my youngest brother was adopted. I have 7 adopted cousins, and two of my aunts are adopted. Therefore, abortion has a lot to do with my and my family. And because I dont think its fair to tax people with more money, i am stupid? If i make a lot of money through hard work, and the lazy bumb next to me does nothing but get welfare checks, how is it fair that i get taxed more for working harder. where is the incentive in that? I guess in your world, everyone lives off welfare and doesnt have to pay taxes. sounds wonderful, doesnt it?

bulldogman06
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
But aren't Republicans against a flat tax? And as for gay marriage, perhaps allowing them to marry would actually strengthen the sanctity of marriage. Jeebus knows that us straight folk have certainly done everything possible to demean it at this point.

No, they are for it. The democrats believe the rich should be taxed more

Blastoderm55
09-07-2006, 01:30 PM

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 01:34 PM
NOTHING TO DO WITH ME! my youngest brother was adopted. I have 7 adopted cousins, and two of my aunts are adopted. Therefore, abortion has a lot to do with my and my family. And because I dont think its fair to tax people with more money, i am stupid? If i make a lot of money through hard work, and the lazy bumb next to me does nothing but get welfare checks, how is it fair that i get taxed more for working harder. where is the incentive in that? I guess in your world, everyone lives off welfare and doesnt have to pay taxes. sounds wonderful, doesnt it?

I made it clear what I earn earlier so I am by no means rich OR poor. Giving a colossal tax break to the wealthiest 3 percent in the nation whose only concern is where the next Porsche comes from doesn't get an ounce of sympathy from me. Sorry, fella.

Now make sure when you vote to ban same-sex marriage that you also give your endorsement to promiscuity which would place absolutely NO restrictions on a married couple playing the field and spreading disease.

Your arguments thus far have wreaked of hatred of others vs. protecting your OWN interests. Just my opinion.

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 01:35 PM

... and you wouldn't say this unless you narcissistically thought of youself as "rich"

bulldogman06
09-07-2006, 01:37 PM

My comments reek of hatred? At least I dont hate all democrats, just ignorant liberals who have no idea what they are talking about. This was not even a discussion about repulican vs. Democrat. therefore, Im done, think what you want

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 01:41 PM

Herein lies the problem:

Most of the people I've encountered merely vote Republican (or CLAIM they do) so their peers will assume they're rich to fit in. Meanwhile, the wealthy zealots are laughing their way to the banks AT YOUR EXPENSE.

It sure sounds like some on here are trying to group the words "poor" and "liberal" to support my theory.

Yea, I tell you what, people in Hollywood and on Wall Street who voted Democratic don't have a pot to pee in.

shankbear
09-07-2006, 01:53 PM
hereandnow, you sound like the most biggoted idiot that has ever posted on this site. Your town is the armpit of East Texas. You have not said an intelligent thing on your posts yet. When will that start? Bring it on boy. You sound like you are an ardent subscriber to DU and dailykos. Drink the koolaid boy, drink it deep.

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Please understand, above all, that I respect opinions but just prefer good sound decisions based on heartfelt instinct.

When you go to the polls, don't vote a certain way or for a certain candidate because someone tell you to. Research the facts (yes, Dan Rather jumped the gun which was presumptuous) and don't ignore the obvious.

It's people like Ann Coulter and Howard Stern (on either side of the issues) who taint the political scene.

I supported both Carter and Reagan - and yes, even Clinton. I could stomach Bush Sr., but this thing we have now has....

GOTTA GO !

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 01:59 PM
hereandnow, you sound like the most biggoted idiot that has ever posted on this site. Your town is the armpit of East Texas. You have not said an intelligent thing on your posts yet. When will that start? Bring it on boy. You sound like you are an ardent subscriber to DU and dailykos. Drink the koolaid boy, drink it deep.

Yea, and Orange is known by so many across the galaxy as the most intelligent coon a$$e$ that ever stepped foot on American soil. And the architecture and climate there? Wow, I'm in constant awe.

Fess up. Everything I've said makes perfect sense, and you know it. There are none so blind as those who WILL not see.

shankbear
09-07-2006, 02:01 PM
When you go to the next football game ask yourself.....nachos or a barbeque sandwich..................Friday is coming.

Turkey leg or a burger?? Friday's coming.

Coke or Sprite?? Friday's coming.

shankbear
09-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Perfect sense to anybody who can't take the truth.

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Perfect sense to anybody who can't take the truth.

Thank God Charles Barkley finally saw the light.

Hallelujah.
Praise God
La La La Hundala Bundala

big daddy russ
09-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Herein lies the problem:

Most of the people I've encountered merely vote Republican (or CLAIM they do) so their peers will assume they're rich to fit in. Meanwhile, the wealthy zealots are laughing their way to the banks AT YOUR EXPENSE.

It sure sounds like some on here are trying to group the words "poor" and "liberal" to support my theory.

Yea, I tell you what, people in Hollywood and on Wall Street who voted Democratic don't have a pot to pee in.
I make less than $9K a year, scrape my own way through college, and am getting much less than I thought from financial aid. I'm homeless right now. Well, I'm staying with my girlfriend in College Station for a shower while commuting the hour and a half to Huntsville.

Sometimes, but only when I'm feeling frisky and Amanda's feeling adventurous, she let's me crash on a friend's couch over here in HuntsVegas.

Why, you ask? Because I have class everyday, drive a 1990 Suburban that gets horrible gas mileage, and have 8 AM classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm not a morning person and don't like the idea of getting up at 5:15 every other morning.

Do I feel oppressed because the government won't GIVE me a little extra money?

Hell no. That's rediculous.

I have a place to stay if I need it and I stay fed. That's all a man can ask for.

Before you ask, no, my parents don't help. They try, but they don't.
I'm a PR major, political science minor and plan on getting my Master's, maybe even a PhD (but I'm still up in the air), in Poli Sci. The LAST reason you should vote one way or the other is because you don't think the government GIVES you enough money.

If you're a single mom with one on the way, you can get WIC, government housing, food stamps and welfare and you're doing better than I am.

Feel like going back to school?

They'll give you extra money for school and (if you go to the right school) you'll get free child care. Some of those programs were sponsored by the Dems, some by Republicans. And both parties trick you about who's doing what. Like Bill Clinton in the mid-90's with the "Republican-sponsored" welfare reform. Guess who threw the idea at the GOP? And guess who found a scapegoat so that his ratings wouldn't suffer among the lower-class?

Don't buy into everything you hear. Want to know more? Just ask. I'll be happy to help.

Ranger Mom
09-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Two points!!

1) I thought Dan Rather was dead....(who is he??)

2) I'm getting complaints and this is getting out of hand so I am closing it.

So.....I guess I may never know who Dan Rather is!!:D