PDA

View Full Version : Congrats on Hooks win over Midland (NF)

pirate44
09-06-2006, 06:50 AM
http://mas.scripps.com/CCCT/2006/09/06/p-1hooksb0906_e.jpg

Hooks take 6K fans by storm
Hooks shut out Rockhounds 3-0

By Mary ann cavazos Caller-Times
September 6, 2006

A few dark clouds settling over Whataburger Field Tuesday night didn't stop devoted Hooks fans from piling into the stadium to support the team in their first-ever playoff game.

The Hooks shut out the Midland RockHounds 3-0 in Game 1 of a best-of-five series to determine which team will compete in the Texas League championships. A healthy 6,286 fans were in attendance.

Before the game, legendary Hall of Fame pitcher and principal owner Nolan Ryan was welcomed to the mound with a standing ovation to throw out the first pitch.

One fan was able to come within a few inches of the famed ball player as he walked onto the field.

"He was so close. I wanted him to autograph my hat," said Ryan Villarreal, 17, explaining he missed the chance to ask in the excitement.

Fans Vinnie Phares, 45, and Darryl Duran, 35, took advantage of the variety of snacks available while they watched the game from their high perch behind the outfield wall.

"It's our dinner," Phares said of the popcorn and drinks at their feet.

Phares and Duran, both clad in Hooks jerseys with their names embossed on the backs and both with only one earphone on, said they listen to the radio broadcast of the game to ensure they don't miss any of the sporting action.

"We only put them in one ear, though," Phares said.

TEXAS LEAGUE PLAYOFFS
HOOKS VS. ROCKHOUNDS
Game 1 : Hooks 1, Rockhounds 0
Today: at Corpus Christi, 7:05
Thursday: at Midland, 6:30
Friday: at Midland, 6:30 (if nec.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 2 pitchers: Kevin Olsen (Mid, RH, 6-1, 3.61 ERA) vs. Troy Patton (CC, LH, 2-5, 4.37)
Radio: KOUL-FM 103.7, KMJR-FM 105.5 (Spanish)
Tickets: $5 and $9.
Info: 561-4665 or cchooks.com

Xavier Perez, 3, accompanied by his mother, Lisa Perez, was so happy to watch his favorite team play he barely could contain himself.

"We spent so much time looking for his Hooks jersey before the game," his mother, also a fan, said. "This will be our 21st game. He loves it."

Reese Ryan, chief financial officer for the ball club, decided he wouldn't be spending much time in the air-conditioned VIP box on the top level of the stadium - instead choosing to cheer for his team alongside fans.

"I like to get out in the stands and meet people. It's been really great to see the city and the players so excited," said Ryan, who is Nolan Ryan's son.

Others rooted for the home team for the first time, including 16-year-old Carsten Hock, a foreign exchange student from Germany who is staying with a Portland family. Wearing a baseball cap and keeping a glove within reaching distance, Hock quickly learned that cheering for the team as loud as you can is one of the best parts of America's favorite pastime.

"We just had to bring him," said Hooks fan Ralph Buehring, who settled his guest and family in a prime spot on the grassy hill behind the outfield. "We've come a few times before but it's his first time."

Terry Labonte, a former Corpus Christi resident and two-time NASCAR Nextel Cup champion, will throw out the first pitch before today's game. The remaining games will be played on the Rockhounds' home turf.

3afan
09-06-2006, 07:02 AM
is Hooks attendance like Frisco? I've been in Frisco's stadium where there could not have been more than 3K there, yet in the box the next day its 9K

Amazing all those folks dressed up as empty seats

pirate44
09-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
is Hooks attendance like Frisco? I've been in Frisco's stadium where there could not have been more than 3K there, yet in the box the next day its 9K

Amazing all those folks dressed up as empty seats
ive questioned attendance a couple times, but for the most part, it is representative of the actual crowd. i wonder if they count the season tickets sold as people in actual attendance. :thinking:

3afan
09-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
.....count the season tickets sold as people in actual attendance. :thinking:

i think everyone does that, everywhere

pirate44
09-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
i think everyone does that, everywhere i wonder i think they outa go by the count that the turn stiles show. but really, its not important. they know how much money is coming in.