PDA

View Full Version : How do your schools rate academically

Paratrooper
09-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Seems we lose a lot of kids due to grades each year during football season. I pulled up some comparisons of just our district in 21-3A. Curious as to how many kids that you have lost in other districts which had a significant impact on your team? 1 out of a 1000 make the NFL. It's too bad sometimes we don't have the same fire for academics.

School...........Math............English.......... ...Science

Orangefield.....66%(3)......91%(T4).............74 %(2)
Silsbee...........52%(6).......92%(3)............. 62%(6)
Bridge City.......64%(4)......90%(6).............65%(4)
Jasper............48%(7)........85%(7)............ .51%(7)
H-F.................72%(2)........91%(T4)........... 72%(3)
H-J..................81%(1).......94%(1)............ .84%(1)
WOS...............46%(8).......82%(8)............. 41%(8)
K'ville..............53%(5).......93%(2).......... ...64%(5)

VWG
09-06-2006, 07:06 AM
I know the new TAKS math test is tougher on the kids than in years past. Several schools had lower scores this past year on the math portion.

neck_94
09-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Here are the numbers I have for District 24AAA

School........Math..........English..........Scien ce........S/S

Columbus...77.................90.................. ..77..........89
Needville....74.................94................ ....61..........95
Royal..........63.................82.............. ......62..........82
Stafford......56.................84............... .....61..........87
Sweeny......74.................95................. ...77..........91
Sealy..........61.................92.............. ......67..........89
W.Columbia.71................95................... .76..........95
Wharton.....59.................88................. ...56..........88

(these are "all" scores)
What is not reflected is WC's sub-pops ... they were the HIGHEST SCORING in the district in every category....:clap:

Paratrooper
09-06-2006, 08:06 PM
That is a pretty interesting website

http://www.greatschools.net/

shankbear
09-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Some football powers seem to be struggling in the classroom. It is an EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM. Just freakin educate.

Mustangpride09
09-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by neck_94
Here are the numbers I have for District 24AAA

School........Math..........English..........Scien ce........S/S

Columbus...77.................90.................. ..77..........89
Needville....74.................94................ ....61..........95
Royal..........63.................82.............. ......62..........82
Stafford......56.................84............... .....61..........87
Sweeny......74.................95................. ...77..........91
Sealy..........61.................92.............. ......67..........89
W.Columbia.71................95................... .76..........95
Wharton.....59.................88................. ...56..........88

(these are "all" scores)
What is not reflected is WC's sub-pops ... they were the HIGHEST SCORING in the district in every category....:clap:

Royal must have horrible teachers, 82% on SS is HORRID.

Chief Woodman
09-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Some football powers seem to be struggling in the classroom. It is an EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM. Just freakin educate.

This is a football website- jus play football !!!!!!!

Paratrooper
09-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
This is a football website- jus play football !!!!!!!

Grades will impact who plays on a Friday night.

Paratrooper
09-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by shankbear

Here you go the Top 10 on the Downlow.

School.......................................math. ......english.....science
1. Gilmer (1-0)..............................73..........90.... .....82
2. Cuero (1-0)...............................68.........90.... .....69
3. West Orange-Stark (1-0)............46..........82.........41
4. Texarkana Liberty-Eylau (1-0).....64..........85.........52
5. Hutto (1-0)...............................61...........91.. ......64
6. Cameron Yoe (1-0)....................65..........90.........82
7. Dallas Madison (1-0)..................46..........64........33
8. Bellville (1-0)............................71..........89...... ..77
9. Sweetwater (1-0)......................62.........92.........72
10. Palestine (1-0)........................58...........80........5 2

It does seem that some of these top 10 schools will have players that will be out this year due to poor grades. I wonder how they rank with the 10 worst football teams in the state?

VWG
09-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Only 33% passing rate at Dallas Madison for science? WOW!
And W-O-S... they didn't get above 50% in two categories.

shankbear
09-06-2006, 10:30 PM
It is sad. Rated underperforming I suppose.

KL3
09-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Looks like Bellville & Gilmer are the only 2 on the list with passing scores for all 3 categories.

AggieJohn
09-06-2006, 10:53 PM
looks like in two weeks we might see dallas madison and WOS drop out of the top ten

shankbear
09-06-2006, 11:15 PM
You just might at that atmjohn

SintonFan
09-06-2006, 11:17 PM
I can't understand bad math grades. I loved it! Heck we a had wonderful teacher who taught algebra. Just because she was pretty too didn't make any difference.
:cool:

Paratrooper
09-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Does anyone have the 10 worst football teams in the state?

GS#17
09-07-2006, 10:58 PM
One thing that the scores don't show is the positive impact athletics has on academics. I know, generally, coaches keep an eye on the players' grades, and at WOS, if a kid is not passing his classes or has discipline problems in the classroom, those issues will be addressed with the student before grades come out. I'd be willing to bet that is the case at most schools, as well. I don't expect to see a mass exodus of varsity players anywhere once the grades are released, and at WOS, these players are good, smart kids. The ones who are troublemakers or can't pass their classes don't stick around to play football or participate in extracurricular activities, in general.

Phantom Stang
09-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
This is from the end of the 2005 season according to texasfootballratings....

173 3A - 32 Raymondville (1-8)

174 3A - 1 Amarillo River Road (2-7)

175 3A - 6 Pottsboro (0-10)

176 3A - 22 Buna (0-9)

177 3A - 1 Dalhart (0-10)

178 3A - 2 Brownfield (2-8)

179 3A - 32 Progreso (0-10)

180 3A - 28 South San Antonio West(0-9)

181 3A - 21 Huntington (2-7)

182 3A - 8 Venus(0-10)

hereandnow
09-07-2006, 11:49 PM

According to this week's texasfootballratings

165. Eustace
166. Poteet
167. Nevada Community
168. Crystal City
169. Tornillo
170. San Diego
171. Dalhart
172. Smithville (COME ON TIGERS!)
173. Pleasant Grove
174. Lamesa

Paratrooper
09-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by GS#17
One thing that the scores don't show is the positive impact athletics has on academics. I know, generally, coaches keep an eye on the players' grades, and at WOS, if a kid is not passing his classes or has discipline problems in the classroom, those issues will be addressed with the student before grades come out. I'd be willing to bet that is the case at most schools, as well. I don't expect to see a mass exodus of varsity players anywhere once the grades are released, and at WOS, these players are good, smart kids. The ones who are troublemakers or can't pass their classes don't stick around to play football or participate in extracurricular activities, in general.

Are you kidding in regards to schools not cutting it??...lol. The one thing this shows is how there are a bunch of kids who will not go to college, work for wages that are barely liveable and struggle because they are not meeting the standard. Geez Louise, this is like trying to justify why the worst football team in the state will be the state champs this year.

GS#17
09-09-2006, 11:50 AM
That's not at all my point. Here are a few key ideas to what I believe:

1) This study only shows an average of a students. While interesting to read, it certainly does not differentiate between those who participate in extracurricular activities (specifically athletics) and those students who don't participate in any extracurricular activities.

2) My belief is that involvement with extracurricular activities helps students in all areas, including academics. I'd venture to say that in most athletic programs, for example, students' conduct and grades are monitored routinely by coaches. The kids who don't have the extra set of eyes (or maybe the only set of eyes) on them to monitor areas that needs improvement are at a disadvantage to those students who have parents and coaches helping them and an additional incentive to do well in school.

3) You write "Grades will impact who plays on a Friday night." That's true; however, I'd think/hope you realize there is a small correlation, at best, between passing a standardized test and passing classes. The two are separate issues. You can pass a test and fail classes; pass a test and pass classes; fail a test and pass classes; or fail a test and fail classes. It's good fodder for discussion, but there is no basis to say that simply because a district's standardized test average is low, there will somehow be a large number of football players ineligible after the grading period. Likewise, the point you're making about a future being ruined because of poor performance on a TAKS test is a slippery slope, especially when you consider the many factors involved in success.

Paratrooper
09-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I have to agree with you, these numbers do not show how many of the football players are failing. All these numbers show is a propensity that there is a high failure rate in some of these schools and that they may likely lose some players.
By your admission it seems WOS has all the smart kids in athletics and it is all the others bringing down the grades. This must be true, because I haven't heard of a WOS player in years being kicked off for grades even though they continually post horrible scores. In fact I even thought it was either last year or the year before the state found the junior high to be academically unacceptable. I wasn't trying to make this a referudum on WOS, but if someone isn't posting WOS is #1 in something "the sky will start to fall".

mwynn05
09-09-2006, 12:14 PM
That's not at all my point. Here are a few key ideas to what I believe:

1) This study only shows an average of a students. While interesting to read, it certainly does not differentiate between those who participate in extracurricular activities (specifically athletics) and those students who don't participate in any extracurricular activities.

2) My belief is that involvement with extracurricular activities helps students in all areas, including academics. I'd venture to say that in most athletic programs, for example, students' conduct and grades are monitored routinely by coaches. The kids who don't have the extra set of eyes (or maybe the only set of eyes) on them to monitor areas that needs improvement are at a disadvantage to those students who have parents and coaches helping them and an additional incentive to do well in school.

3) You write "Grades will impact who plays on a Friday night." That's true; however, I'd think/hope you realize there is a small correlation, at best, between passing a standardized test and passing classes. The two are separate issues. You can pass a test and fail classes; pass a test and pass classes; fail a test and pass classes; or fail a test and fail classes. It's good fodder for discussion, but there is no basis to say that simply because a district's standardized test average is low, there will somehow be a large number of football players ineligible after the grading period. Likewise, the point you're making about a future being ruined because of poor performance on a TAKS test is a slippery slope, especially when you consider the many factors involved in success. If you can't pass those standardized tests then there is no way you can pass actual classes. And you talk about how you wont see a lot of football playes fail at these schools...it's because teachers pass them and no coaches arent going and asking but if a student tries a teacher isnt going to fail them and its not so much favortism towards athletes some teachers just dont like to fail kids who try you can disagree woth me thats fine these are just my observations and OPINIONS so dont just come out saying im wrong etc etc because im not sayin im ncessarily right just my observations

Paratrooper
09-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
If you can't pass those standardized tests then there is no way you can pass actual classes. And you talk about how you wont see a lot of football playes fail at these schools...it's because teachers pass them and no coaches arent going and asking but if a student tries a teacher isnt going to fail them and its not so much favortism towards athletes some teachers just dont like to fail kids who try you can disagree woth me thats fine these are just my observations and OPINIONS so dont just come out saying im wrong etc etc because im not sayin im ncessarily right just my observations

Oh no, this would never happen at West Orange Stark....what are you thinking man.:eek:

GS#17
09-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
If you can't pass those standardized tests then there is no way you can pass actual classes. And you talk about how you wont see a lot of football playes fail at these schools...it's because teachers pass them and no coaches arent going and asking but if a student tries a teacher isnt going to fail them and its not so much favortism towards athletes some teachers just dont like to fail kids who try you can disagree woth me thats fine these are just my observations and OPINIONS so dont just come out saying im wrong etc etc because im not sayin im ncessarily right just my observations

Classes can include homework assignments, extra credits for extra work, participation grades, and so on. In general, a student can do poorly on class tests and still pass classes, simply because of how well he does on homework assignments, how much effort he puts forth in class, and such -- those luxuries don't exist with tests. You make a good point about some teachers not liking to issue failing grades to their students, and I think that goes on to some degree anywhere you go. I think if a student puts forth his best effort -- turns in homework assignments, attends tutorials, asks questions during class, and so on -- some teachers would give them a higher grade if they were on the border of passing and failing; although, like you wrote, I don't think that's a perk limited to athletes.

Standardized tests tell you how well you can take a test, but as most people understand, there are variables that cause some people to do worse than others on any test. While subject matter must be understood, some people who know the subject matter perform poorly when under the pressure of taking timed tests or when they are unable to cope with the pressure of the importance of passing the test. Those are just some examples of a phenomenon called test anxiety, and it happens to a good number of people. Of course, some people who know their subject matter well enough to pass a class don't seriously prepare for the test and take the test with a half-hearted effort, which also results in lower test scores.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, there are students who do excellent on tests and underachieve in the classroom. Some people simply don't do their homework, don't put much effort into their assignments, get bored with listening to their teachers, etc. However, put a test in front of them and, for whatever reason, they'll ace it. I imagine there are also teachers who take note of their lack of effort, and in the case of a student like that who has a borderline grade, some teachers would not issue extra credit work to help increase his grade or may simply just give a failing grade, rather than giving him the benefit of the doubt that he knows the class material.

Simply put, standardized test scores are absolutely not an indicator of potential success in life or the kind of grades a person can or will make.

mwynn05
09-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Classes can include homework assignments, extra credits for extra work, participation grades, and so on. In general, a student can do poorly on class tests and still pass classes, simply because of how well he does on homework assignments, how much effort he puts forth in class, and such -- those luxuries don't exist with tests. You make a good point about some teachers not liking to issue failing grades to their students, and I think that goes on to some degree anywhere you go. I think if a student puts forth his best effort -- turns in homework assignments, attends tutorials, asks questions during class, and so on -- some teachers would give them a higher grade if they were on the border of passing and failing; although, like you wrote, I don't think that's a perk limited to athletes.

Standardized tests tell you how well you can take a test, but as most people understand, there are variables that cause some people to do worse than others on any test. While subject matter must be understood, some people who know the subject matter perform poorly when under the pressure of taking timed tests or when they are unable to cope with the pressure of the importance of passing the test. Those are just some examples of a phenomenon called test anxiety, and it happens to a good number of people. Of course, some people who know their subject matter well enough to pass a class don't seriously prepare for the test and take the test with a half-hearted effort.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, there are students who do excellent on tests and underachieve in the classroom. Some people simply don't do their homework, don't put much effort into their assignments, get bored with listening to their teachers, etc. However, put a test in front of them and, for whatever reason, they'll ace it. I imagine there are also teachers who take note of their lack of effort, and in the case of a student like that who has a borderline grade, some teachers would not issue extra credit work to help increase his grade or may simply just give a failing grade, rather than giving him the benefit of the doubt that he knows the class material.

Simply put, standardized test scores are absolutely not an indicator of potential success in life or the kind of grades a person can or will make. Those tests are a joke though

SuusJudex
09-09-2006, 03:50 PM
... I wasn't trying to make this a referudum on WOS ...

ya know what? that is a straight up lie. i saw this topic the other day when you first started it and wondered why someone would jet off on it on this board - THEN i saw you were from BC. you can talk about your motivation all day long, but if BC could somehow manage to take down WO-S on the field you would never have raised this issue. be glad you finally have something to brag about though, when i was at WO-S there wasn't a single competitive activity athletic OR academic that BC would dream of using to compare themselves ... oh wait, i forgot about cross-country ...

GS#17
09-09-2006, 06:50 PM
It's a shame, isn't it, Suus? I'm still trying to figure out if his ego is hurt because WOS continually beats Bridge City at football or if he just is embarrassed because he has yet to intelligently answer any post on this topic. Whatever the case, it is funny to see how he tries to make WOS the main focus of this thread, for whatever reason, only to follow up his efforts with a cowardly, "I wasn't trying to make this a referudum on WOS," statement.

BigTex
09-09-2006, 09:22 PM
First, I will defend GS#17's assertion that the WOS coaching staff does not tolerate poor conduct or classroom performance. I have known Coach Hooks and most of his staff for many years and they know that discipline comes in the classroom as well as the field. I apologize for anyone from Bridge City implying otherwise. That being said, contrary to what Suus has posted , Bridge City not only holds it's own but excels in many sports and academics. In fact BC was 8th in Texas AAA schools in the 2005-06 Texas Dodge Dealers Lone Star Cup. This was the highest of any school in our area. That is accumulated points from all athletic and academic competitions. We are very proud of what our students do in all competitions. Many, not all, WOS posters imply that unless one beats WOS in football that they are somewhat inferior and not worthy of an opinion (sometimes called the PN-G syndrome) ;). Again this year, the Mustangs have an excellent football team and should go deep in the playoffs. You have to admit though that WOS has only the second most entertaining school board in the Golden Triangle, coming in a distant second to the State Champions at Port Arthur ISD.:doh:

shankbear
09-09-2006, 09:28 PM
OMG that school board thing is so funny and it is so true. You could sell tickets to the board meetings. The district ends up being the victim of some super doofasses on the board.

GS#17
09-09-2006, 09:42 PM
You have to admit though that WOS has only the second most entertaining school board in the Golden Triangle, coming in a distant second to the State Champions at Port Arthur ISD.

It's amazing how one person on a school board can cause such a ruckus, but that's what she does, and I cringe everytime I see her name in print -- you just know nothing good is going to follow her name. Luckily, she probably won't be there after May (which can't get here soon enough). :)

BigTex
09-09-2006, 09:50 PM
You run for the position GS!!!! I will be your campaign manager! By the way, the Mustang's straight-away kicker looked good last night! Have you been giving him some tips???:D

Paratrooper
09-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by SuusJudex
ya know what? that is a straight up lie. i saw this topic the other day when you first started it and wondered why someone would jet off on it on this board - THEN i saw you were from BC.

Actually if you read the thread I made no reference to WOS specifically and just showed the 21-3A district. I was then going to show the top ten vs the bottom ten and just show the difference, WOS or not. It wasn't brought up until the silly defending of having poor grades was brought up by GS 17 which I simply don't agree with his enabling of the problem itself. I wanted to see where other districts were and have a thread on it, however, it has become impossible on these boards to have a topic where WOS is not Number 1. If GS-17 would not have brought up defending the poor showing in grades I would not have responded. Your blaming me, but I didn't take the test over there. I am sure there are plenty of good kids over there at WOS, just seems you and GS17 got your widdle feelings hurt because the subject was brought up. I certainly didn't see Dallas Madison trying to defend the undefendable. Have a little tougher skin.

GS#17
09-09-2006, 11:13 PM
It's a good thing reading comprehension isn't a qualification to be a part of this board, otherwise you'd certainly never have a chance to post here, Paratrooper.

I'm not sure how you concoct the idea that I'm somehow defending poor test scores; however, I do like your creativity. I tried to make it simple for you earlier by writing, point by point, what my ideas on the topic were, and I made it as general as possible, just so your simple little mind wouldn't get confused and cause you to think I was making this into a WOS thread. Unfortunately, even that was apparently above your intellect. It's a shame, too, because had you taken the time to actually read and think about what I wrote, we could have enjoyed a good conversation.

shankbear
09-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Kick him good GS. This could also be my 1000th !!!!

SuusJudex
09-10-2006, 12:37 AM
... Actually if you read the thread I made no reference to WOS specifically and just showed the 21-3A district. I was then going to show the top ten vs the bottom ten and just show the difference, WOS or not. It wasn't brought up until the silly defending of having poor grades was brought up by GS 17 which I simply don't agree with his enabling of the problem itself....

you are such a complete liar. you find a set of statistics that have nothing whatsoever to do with football, but have WO-S looking bad, and you come to a FOOTBALL forum and post em. go to the academic forum for this garbage.

bottom line - this is a backhanded way to gig others in your district and then step back and say "what??? little ole me? why no, i wasnt trying to stir the pot, i was just ....." LIAR. how did this topic even occur to you? were you taking an academic poll? it's this kind of gutless trash that makes LC-M and BC look petty. your football teams lay it all out on the field and deserve respect once in a while, but then you just rob them with sour grapes.

hey BIGtex - re-read my initial post - i said, WHEN I WENT THERE - which was in the mid-80s - i challenge you to find something other than cross-country that BC stood a chance of hanging - academic or otherwise ...

Paratrooper
09-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by SuusJudex
you are such a complete liar. you find a set of statistics that have nothing whatsoever to do with football, but have WO-S looking bad, and you come to a FOOTBALL forum and post em. go to the academic forum for this garbage.

bottom line - this is a backhanded way to gig others in your district and then step back and say "what??? little ole me? why no, i wasnt trying to stir the pot, i was just ....." LIAR. how did this topic even occur to you? were you taking an academic poll? it's this kind of gutless trash that makes LC-M and BC look petty. your football teams lay it all out on the field and deserve respect once in a while, but then you just rob them with sour grapes.

hey BIGtex - re-read my initial post - i said, WHEN I WENT THERE - which was in the mid-80s - i challenge you to find something other than cross-country that BC stood a chance of hanging - academic or otherwise ...

Read into it anyway you want. The real bottom line is grades do have a correlation as to who will play on Friday nights and that simply is what the thread is about. I would certainly post if Bridge City had the lowest scores also. There would be no issue if WOS had the higher grades. I will tell you or anybody else WOS has a fine football program and have had a winning tradition for years. It is undisputable by their records. However, since you do want to make issue of their grades, it is also undisputable that WOS lacks in making the grade which "MAY" affect their team as well as other teams out there who are in the same boat. I should not have lashed out probably as hard as I did at the coaches of WOS, I just sometimes get really tired of everytime anything is posted on here that doesn't say WOS is #1 it turns into a soap opera. Barbers Hill fans have run into it as well as Bridge City fans.

GS#17
09-10-2006, 07:57 AM
I just sometimes get really tired of everytime anything is posted on here that doesn't say WOS is #1 it turns into a soap opera.

My advice is for you to stop turning it into a soap opera. My responses were in no way about WOS not being number one, but you decided to take that angle and run with it. It's just a shame you can't let your bitterness about WOS go.

I responded to your thread in the most general way possible after you wrote how a district's average poor test scores was somehow tied to high school football players' grades, and I never once mentioned this was about WOS -- you did several times, though. I wrote about the difference between grades and test scores, and you followed that by making two separate posts that had sarcastic comments about WOS; you lied about what I wrote just so you could argue about WOS or its fans; and you took the chicken way out by not standing up for your position and blamed me, in particular, for somehow causing this thread to be about WOS.

Initially, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but after reading everything you've posted, it's obvious you have some problems and your motives are sinister. Just stand up and be a man about it -- there's no reason for you to lie about what you're doing.

Paratrooper
09-10-2006, 08:20 AM
My advice is for you to stop turning it into a soap opera. My responses were in no way about WOS not being number one, but you decided to take that angle and run with it. It's just a shame you can't let your bitterness about WOS go.

I responded to your thread in the most general way possible..........Initially, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but after reading everything you've posted, it's obvious you have some problems and your motives are sinister. Just stand up and be a man about it -- there's no reason for you to lie about what you're doing.

Man you guys are silly. There is nothing sinister about the post nor misleading with my motives. Believe me if I wanted to highlight WOS I can do so real easy. Bridge City isn't exactly knocking down the house with grades and I have no problem showing there's. I have no bitterness towards WOS and I root for them, except when they play BC. Do I think they need to pull there act together with grades.....yes I do. Do I think BC needs to start bringing them up.....yes I do. It was a simple post that's it. I have been posting a while so please don't kid yourself that everytime something is posted that WOS fans don't jump on someone. You guys are well known for it. Next time I will just post everyone else's score in the district and leave WOS out to make a thread about grades affecting Friday nights since you guys are sensitive in this area. Sorry if I offended, it really wasn't the intent of the post.

GS#17
09-10-2006, 08:27 AM
You take every chance you can to take a shot against WOS or its fans. The last post is a classic example. Instead of just saying, "it was just a simple post..." you have to follow that up by taking your jabs against WOS and its fans. Just leave it alone. You're only proving my point as to your character.

Paratrooper
09-10-2006, 08:37 AM
You take every chance you can to take a shot against WOS or its fans. The last post is a classic example. Instead of just saying, "it was just a simple post..." you have to follow that up by taking your jabs against WOS and its fans. Just leave it alone. You're only proving my point as to your character.

Good Lordy lordy.......Read GS 17 read son. I have posted they have a fine tradition and good football program, they have good kids over there....I think throughout this thread I have posted and said quite a lot of good things about WOS. I am not taking a jab at WOS. I am just stating a fact that WOS posters make issue of everything as you can see in your latest post. Get over yourself.....PLEASE!!! The only time I probably lashed out at WOS is when you....not all of WOS......YOU highlighted WOS with some silly rambling. I will end my part in this thread because it is just silly to argue. Best of luck to you guys during the season.

GS#17
09-10-2006, 09:57 AM
YOU highlighted WOS with some silly rambling.

I used WOS in my primary post on this thread as an example only because I know how that particular school operates, but if you continue to read that post, you'll see I extended my belief to other schools (WOS does such and such, and other schools most likely do the same; therefore, your point is invalid). My position has been clear -- I rebutted your initial point that a district's poor standardized test scores will equate to high school football players suffering class or life failures; your only response is that I feel you're not celebrating WOS' accomplishments/successes. For what it's worth, you could have answered that coffee tastes better with cream than with whole milk -- it would have been just as irrelevant a reply as you made.

It's obvious you have a problem understanding what's being written. Maybe it would be a lot easier to communicate with you if you would approach people's ideas with an open mind and actually read their posts, and then if you disagree, just attack the message instead of changing the point of the thread and blaming other people for things they didn't write. Unfortunately, after reading your posts on this board for over a year now, I don't know if you are capable of doing that.

Paratrooper
09-10-2006, 02:48 PM
I used WOS in my primary post on this thread as an example only because I know how that particular school operates, but if you continue to read that post, you'll see I extended my belief to other schools (WOS does such and such, and other schools most likely do the same; therefore, your point is invalid). My position has been clear -- I rebutted your initial point that a district's poor standardized test scores will equate to high school football players suffering class or life failures; your only response is that I feel you're not celebrating WOS' accomplishments/successes. For what it's worth, you could have answered that coffee tastes better with cream than with whole milk -- it would have been just as irrelevant a reply as you made.

It's obvious you have a problem understanding what's being written. Maybe it would be a lot easier to communicate with you if you would approach people's ideas with an open mind and actually read their posts, and then if you disagree, just attack the message instead of changing the point of the thread and blaming other people for things they didn't write. Unfortunately, after reading your posts on this board for over a year now, I don't know if you are capable of doing that.

You know GS 17, I don't know what you do for a living but I know you would make a good lawyer. You could argue that Hitler was a nice guy....lol Well, I guess in about 2 weeks we will find out whether this thread has validity. However, good luck to you guys during the season. As much as you think that I don't like WOS I actually do and wish them the best through the season.

Crimestick
09-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Just a few helpful notes:

Your blaming me, but I didn't take the test over there.

This is very basic. "Your" indicates possession. "You're" is what you're trying to say. That's a contraction for "you are."

Bridge City isn't exactly knocking down the house with grades and I have no problem showing there's.

This is another very, very basic mistake. "There's" means "there is." You're trying to say "theirs," which indicates possession.

It was a simple post that's it.

This is a run-on sentence.

I have posted they have a fine tradition and good football program, they have good kids over there.

Sorry if I offended, it really wasn't the intent of the post.

The above two examples are comma splices, which are similar to run-on sentences. This is fifth grade material.

As a seventh grade teacher, I can tell you that these are basic seventh grade TAKS "revise and edit" test questions. You made enough mistakes to need a high score on your composition in order to pass the writing test.

Before we make references to schools performing poorly on tests, let's be sure we would be capable of passing the tests.

I hope this helps.
Crimestick
WO-S graduate

maroogreen
09-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Okay, ladies and gentlemen, here is TAKS test 101:

A student's TAKS score has very little to do with his grades. Most students, including special ed students, are not exempt from the TAKS test. However, the classes they are enrolled in are not on the same level as the skills they are tested on. Unfair? Yes. Call your congressman because they made the rules.

By high school, most core classes (English, math, SS, and science) are ability grouped to a certain level (remedial ELA, English III, or Pre-AP English III, for example). You can make As and Bs in remedial ELA and still fail a TAKS test. Failing a TAKS test in no way, shape, or form keeps you off a playing field if you have passed the 6-weeks.

Many districts have a policy that a student can receive no lower than a "50" as a 6-weeks grade, even if that student didn't turn in ONE SINGLE assignment the entire grading period. Because God forbid we make it difficult for little Johnny to pull that semester grade up to passing. You also cannot give lower than a "50" on any individual assignment, even if they don't understand it. Throw in a couple of participation grades and "retests" and the kid is technically passing, whether he performs or not.

Add the fact that poorer districts with a higher level of minority students historically score lower than wealthy, "whiter" districts and you have another problem. Am I saying that minority students are stupid? Absolutely not. I am saying they must fight an uphill battle to succeed for a number of socioeconomic reasons. A real insight to the success of a school district is to look at the scores of the subgroups (i.e. minority groups). Successful schools have subgroup rates close to the total scores.

Also, the science test is extremely difficult IMO. For example, the sophomore science test contains chemistry questions when most students don't even take chemistry until their junior year.

Finally, not all students are meant to attend a university. Prisons offer vocational programs through the prison school, but most Texas public schools do not. Why should we wait until the kid is incarcerated to give him a bankable real-world skill? It makes no sense...:confused:

Paratrooper
09-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Crimestick
Just a few helpful notes:

Before we make references to schools performing poorly on tests, let's be sure we would be capable of passing the tests.

I hope this helps.
Crimestick
WO-S graduate

This post I actually agree with. I made very common mistakes just jotting down my thoughts like most of us do on these boards but you are correct those are legitimate mistakes. You know to be honest this thread has gotten silly. I still look on here what is being written but it really has just gotten even more petty and almost to the point of laughable....lol. I would figure an educator such as yourself would be extremely concerned with test scores, but it seems you guys just don't care. That is your prerogative and you are certainly entitled to it. I guess it does reflect the attitude of the community as to why the scores are low.
I will tell you one thing I have learned in my life is that people who don't want to change won't do it. They are satisfied with the status quo and will defend it as such. I have certainly passed enough test in my life to where I have reached a successful conclusion and I am about to retire. I do sincerely hope the youth you do have in your charge will do the same. Like I say best of luck to you guys this year.

Crimestick
09-11-2006, 05:41 AM
This post I actually agree with. I made very common mistakes just jotting down my thoughts like most of us do on these boards but you are correct those are legitimate mistakes. You know to be honest this thread has gotten silly. I still look on here what is being written but it really has just gotten even more petty and almost to the point of laughable....lol. I would figure an educator such as yourself would be extremely concerned with test scores, but it seems you guys just don't care. That is your prerogative and you are certainly entitled to it. I guess it does reflect the attitude of the community as to why the scores are low.

No, actually we are concerned about it. How would you know if I care? How would you know how I feel about WO-S's test scores? I don't teach in the district, but I certainly am concerned. That's a pretty presumptuous post, isn't it? BC's scores aren't particularly high. Do you care? You seem more concerned with ours! Perhaps we should get the school board to register here so that we can bring up test scores. I'll put you on the committee. Then again, judging from previous posts, maybe not. Maybe we come here to talk football and would rather not see someone try to drag our school through the mud instead. You're right, this thread has gotten silly - and you're a big part of it. If you take what is posted on a message board as an indication of the level of concern within the district, then you truly do have some comprehension problems.

This post I actually agree with. I made very common mistakes just jotting down my thoughts like most of us do on these boards but you are correct those are legitimate mistakes.
This is another run-on sentence. I didn't say they were "common," I said they were "basic" and "fifth-grade level." "Common" would suggest that they were almost okay, when my point was that it's embarrassing considering the context of your posts.