PDA

View Full Version : Attorney: Deputies Used A Taser On Horns Brown And Gatewood

ILS1
09-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Travis County deputies unnecessarily used tasers on Tarell Brown and Tyrell Gatewood before they arrested them early Monday morning, the lawyer representing the suspended Texas players charged Tuesday.

Jamie Balagio, the attorney for Brown and Gatewood, is requesting that a videotape of the arrest be made public.

“They were both unnecessarily tasered,” Balagia told the American-Statesman Tuesday evening. “If a tape is there, let them release it to the media.”

“The only time you use a taser is to prevent you from using a gun,” Balagia said. “Basically, they said, ‘We tasered them because we didn’t want to shoot them to death.’ “

Brown, a starting cornerback, and Gatewood, a reserve safety and special teams player, were riding with former Longhorn Aaron Harris early Monday morning when Harris was pulled over by sheriff’s deputies for erratic driving. Harris passed field sobriety tests, but according to the arrest affidavit, admitted that he had been smoking marijuana. Harris had .7 grams of marijuana in his pocket and deputies found 1.1 grams of pot under the front seat of the car.

Deputies said they saw Gatewood and Brown asleep in the car — Gatewood in the front seat and Brown in the back. They said a loaded 9mm handgun was in Brown’s lap. There was no mention in the affidavit that the deputies used a taser to subdue the players.

Brown was charged with possession of a handgun, a Class A misdemeanor, and possession of marijuana, a Class B misdemeanor. Gatewood and Harris each were charged with possession of marijuana.

Roger Wade, spokesman for the sheriff’s department, said he could not comment on the case. “We don’t respond until we get to court,” Wade said.

Brown and Gatewood have been suspended from team functions and will not play Saturday against Ohio State.

The two players met with Brown on Monday afternoon after they were released from jail. They voluntarily took a urine test Monday to prove that they had not been smoking pot.

Balagia said that Gatewood had bought the gun for “recreational” purposes and had used it at an indoor shooting range about two weeks ago. Balagia said Gatewood forgot to take the gun into his apartment. Brown saw it on the floorboard in the backseat, Balagia said, and offered to take it inside once the three arrived home Monday morning. Gatewood and Brown are roommates, and Harris has been staying with them temporarily.

“When they tasered them, they made the charge against Tyrell and then jacked up the charges on Tarell,” Balagia said.

Story Link (www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2006/09/05/attorney_deputies_used_a_taser_on_brown_gatewood.h tml)

AggieJohn
09-05-2006, 08:13 PM
maurice clarett pt. 2

ILS1
09-05-2006, 08:18 PM
There's a big difference!!! Clarett just WON'T GO AWAY!!!!!!!!

:D :D

JasperDog94
09-05-2006, 08:19 PM
This could get ugly.

mrescape43
09-05-2006, 08:33 PM
They brought it upon themselves.

Pudlugger
09-05-2006, 08:41 PM
This stinks. First, isn't it the law since September 2005 that you can carry a gun in your car for protection legally without a CCP? Looks to me like these two players are being set up to take the fall over Harris' marijuana. They probably didn't know it was in the car. The urine tests probably will back that up when they come back negative. It is sad to see how fast many on this board are willing to hang these two guys out to dry. Suppose it was your kid unfortunate enough to be in a car with another person not knowing there was pot under a seat? Using a taser? What? Why is that necessary? Why wasn't it reported? Sounds like a bad case of driving while black to me.

Eagle 1
09-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Hello loophole.

bobcat1
09-05-2006, 08:52 PM
It don't matter about race, laws are for everyone. Pot and guns together should equal state jail time. It would if it had been me or you. The SWEEPING is starting. Someone lift the rug. Urine test, right!!!!!!!!!!! I bet they haven't ever had anything but milk and cookies. Wake up folks. Wrong place alright, but by choice.

Pudlugger
09-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
It don't matter about race, laws are for everyone. Pot and guns together should equal state jail time. It would if it had been me or you. The SWEEPING is starting. Someone lift the rug. Urine test, right!!!!!!!!!!! I bet they haven't ever had anything but milk and cookies. Wake up folks. Wrong place alright, but by choice.

Sure, I agree that Harris should be charged, but what about the two players? If they test negative and no drugs were found on their person how can you say they are also guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? Reasonable doubt is the threshold in a criminal case and it will be hard to make that case if the players test negative. All I'm saying is that this looks like a situation where the two players were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The use of a taser strikes me as excessive. If they had been resisting arrest or threatening an officer why wasn't that reported or charged? Two misdemeanors don't usually justify a taser. And yes, I do think race has something to do with it since the taser use was conveniently not mentioned when the fact that these were two UT players and not some street thugs out for a driveby.

Look, I'm a very conservative guy, very law and order and pro cop but this is not right.

Texas-Fight
09-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
This stinks. First, isn't it the law since September 2005 that you can carry a gun in your car for protection legally without a CCP? Looks to me like these two players are being set up to take the fall over Harris' marijuana. They probably didn't know it was in the car. The urine tests probably will back that up when they come back negative. It is sad to see how fast many on this board are willing to hang these two guys out to dry. Suppose it was your kid unfortunate enough to be in a car with another person not knowing there was pot under a seat? Using a taser? What? Why is that necessary? Why wasn't it reported? Sounds like a bad case of driving while black to me. I feel like listening to a certain NWA song. :D

Highschoolfan78
09-05-2006, 09:59 PM
under the circumstances, i woulda tazed the bs outa them. I think marajuana and guns should result in similar punishments. These players knew where they were at and chose to be there.. thats BS.. typical.. Oklahoma QB knew what he was doing was wrong.. they need to mature or else their talent will be thrown away just like every other "never was".

hereandnow
09-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Look, I'm a very conservative guy, very law and order and pro cop but this is not right.

.... and why? Because you're a Longhorn fan? Hmmm, I'll bet the cop is an Ohio State grad, RIGHT?

:hand:

g$$
09-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Great post - they made a choice to be there. Last time I checked, having a firearm (legal or not) & a controlled substance = felony. Let's see: erratic driving, 2:48AM, weed, loaded gun, passed out, don't wake up after stopped, etc. This was not milk & cookies with the local Boy Scouts. They partied too hard & got busted, period. I bet the same people who criticized Bomar (justifiably) are now making excuses for these guys just because they wear burnt orange on Saturdays. That's called hypocrisy. I don't care what school you support, this is criminal behavior. Mack did the right thing by suspending them & telling Aaron Harris to stay away. If the guy above is pro cop then why not let them do their jobs? Instead you played the race card. That is weak. High profile athletes know to make better choices. They live in a fishbowl. They knew that when they signed a letter of intent at a major school. You are the company you keep right? Quit making excuses for idiotic behavior just because they play football.

NateDawg39
09-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by hereandnow
.... and why? Because you're a Longhorn fan? Hmmm, I'll bet the cop is an Ohio State grad, RIGHT?

:hand: Thats quick to the trigger there buddy...you dont even know why he thinks the way he does...so wait before you jump on someone EVEN if it is a "joke" ( I doubt you were trying to be pushy right)???:rolleyes:

Texas-Fight
09-05-2006, 11:41 PM
* the police comin straight from the underground, a young n***a got it bad cause I'm brown, I'm not the other color so police think they have authority to kill a minority. :D Classic verse from a song :D

Dogman_1969
09-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Didn't the official report say that Brown was asleep in the back seat of the car? I may have my facts mixed up but if Brown was in the back seat with the gun in his lap, why did they use the taser gun on him?

If they have a tape, and they tased them when it wasn't needed this could get sticky. They still should not be allowed to play and if they have any other "brushes" with bad judgement send them packing.......

I believe if you hang with rubbish then you will smell like it. These kids need to understand they need to not associate with guys that cause trouble (ie. Clarrett, Bomar, Taylor, etc.). There is not much good that could come out of three 20 yr olds out late at night.

Just a shame some guys don't get it.........

Phil C
09-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Like I said when this discussion was about Bomar, AP and Maurice -

JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED!! :mad: